The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy] - New Demo Out!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
MinaThomas

Re: The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy][Update Sept 1]

#271 Post by MinaThomas »

Please tell me this hasn't been cancelled! I still remember playing the demo the day it was out and am still just as excited for it to this day. It's cool if you are still working on it/taking a break from it, I'm just wondering if there is still hope for it? :3

FrostkingDemetri
Regular
Tumblr: fkdemetri
Deviantart: fkdemetri

#272 Post by FrostkingDemetri »

This is really awesome .w.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#273 Post by noeinan »

For those looking for an update, the Kingv made a comment recruiting for this project: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 7&start=15

It looks like the girl route is almost finished, but they need a writer for the boy route and overall polishing. Since they are looking for a writer, the project is likely not dropped yet.

Nebty

#274 Post by Nebty »

daikiraikimi wrote:For those looking for an update, the Kingv made a comment recruiting for this project: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 7&start=15

It looks like the girl route is almost finished, but they need a writer for the boy route and overall polishing. Since they are looking for a writer, the project is likely not dropped yet.
That's a different project. Both are about merpeople, though.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#275 Post by Arowana »

Hey, everybody! I'm so sorry for my delayed reply! :oops: Nellie and I are rather busy at the moment with RL stuff, but we are definitely still working on Pirate Mermaid. I'll put together another update over the next few days so you can see what we've been doing since my last post (I was actually hoping to do it this weekend, but didn't have enough time ^^;).

Again, my apologies for failing to keep this thread up-to-date! I'm so glad to see that you guys are still remembering and supporting us, even though we're so slow. :')

As Nebty said, we're not involved with Kingv's game, but it's awesome to see more merfolk characters!
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#276 Post by Arowana »

Hey everyone! Just popping in real quick to say that we started a tumblr for our game dev stuff. It's already got some "Pirate Mermaid" things that we haven't posted here yet, so please check if out if you're interested (and be our tumblr friends if you want? :D).

http://navigame-media.tumblr.com/

I will do a nice long proper update and full replies here as well, probably next weekend? Just have to take care of some school stuff first. ^^

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#277 Post by KittyKatStar »

Glad to see you and Nellie back on the ball. >o< All the new stuff is so cool.

lockpicklogic
Regular

#278 Post by lockpicklogic »

I love this game so much! :D
The MC is very relatable, the writing is humourous, and the character designs are lovely.
I've played the demo twice, and loved it both times.
On top of that, I have repeatedly left the game open just to listen to the delightful music. :)

This is my support. I hope didn't butcher her too badly! :D
Attachments
Pirate.jpg
Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
-- Clementine Paddelford --

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#279 Post by underbliss »

I saw! Your mock-up (?) animations on tumblr and, dude, they were awesome.
The project looks like it's gonna be really fun and all sorts of cute, in a very mermaidy piratey way of course, best of luck!

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy][Update March 9]

#280 Post by Arowana »

Hello, everybody! My apologies once again for the much delayed update! Nellie and I got really busy these last few months with travel and school (I have to graduate this year ahhh), but we’re working as much as we can on “The Pirate Mermaid” in our spare time.

Since we noticed a lot of other devs posting their progress on Tumblr, we decided to try it too. So if you’d like to see concept sketches, random gifs, or other things we’re working on (most likely before we post them here), please check out our new dev blog:
navigame-media.tumblr.com

Now for some art! Some of you may remember the battle poses we showed for the MC a while back. Well, our guys fight too, so they’ve also got new battle poses (the sorcerer has one as well, but it won’t appear until later in the game).

I’m currently adding in small animations for the battles, similar to the MC’s. Malik, in particular, can move his fingers to clench his fist...or just flip people off. Knowing Malik, the latter is quite likely.

We also have some new backgrounds, including this lovely moving waterfall. You’ll be able to switch off all BG animations by picking “light animation mode,” if they lag or distract you. But hopefully it won’t be too much of a problem. ^^

We were behind in CGs for a bit, but had a recent burst of productivity. :D Here are some CG previews for the three main guys.

Mikali being his beautiful shiny self. This CG has been fully coded, yay! (sorry for the crappy gif quality)

Sorcerer and the MC being tsun. I wonder what they’re so embarrassed about? :?

Malik being...Malik. I don’t usually go for the ‘do-S’ types, but it fits so well with our MC. I have a lot of fun writing their interactions. ^^

Again, you can find more sketches and WIP stuff on our Tumblr if you are interested (plug plug and more plug). I’m really excited about the secret sprites and CG concepts that Nellie’s showed me so far, and it’s getting harder and harder to resist the urge to show spoilers. :cry:

Writing is being sidelined for a bit while I finish coding Day 2, but will be resumed once I’m done. Mikali’s path is more or less complete, Sorcerer is just missing a day and a half, and Malik has a day done. Even though the game only lasts 6 days, it’s already pretty long. :oops: I worry people will think the romance is rushed since the timeframe is so short, even though Mikali’s path alone is almost 100k long. D: Maybe we should change it to 6 weeks or 6 months and just spread out the events more?

Lastly, we’ve been thinking about releasing a second demo with the new art and features. The new demo would probably go up to the end of Day 1 or Day 2, so you’d see more of the story as well. We’ve been warned against releasing another demo too early, though, so we’re still deciding what to do. Would you guys like to see a new demo soon, or would you rather wait until the entire game is closer to completion?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

And now for some long overdue replies! Sorry it took so long, but I wanted to make sure to get back to everyone. ^^ Thanks again for all your comments and support - we really appreciate hearing from you! :D

@KittyKatStar
Thanks for your encouragement as always, Kitty! (hug)

@snowflakes
Lol! I hope the tentacles scene doesn’t scare anyone off. We thought it would be interesting to put the guy instead of the girl in that position for once. :lol:

@Hazel-Bun
Aw, thank you; I was worried no one would watch the video because I made it too long, haha. I think we’ll focus on the minigame later since most people are more interested in the main game.

@elrida13
Oh wow, thanks so much for making an account to tell us your thoughts! (and sorry it took so long for us to reply ^^;) I love merfolk stories as well, so it’s great to hear others feel the same. And I’m glad you like (or at least don’t mind) the mer crotch, haha. It may not make much biological sense, but we’ll claim artistic license on that one.

I think Mimi’s design is adorable too! Originally she was a nameless bit character, but after she came out so cute, we had to give her a bigger part. She’s friendship only, unfortunately. We’d love to add a yuri path if we have time, but probably a human girl since we already have two mermen.

@PangoDango
We’ll do our best to finish as soon as possible! We’re having a lot of fun making the animations, so it’s great to hear other people enjoy them too (and hopefully won’t just switch them off, haha).

@Kate
Glad to hear you liked the preview! We’ve put in a lot of new features and art since the first demo, so hopefully the hard work will pay off. ^^

@ArtistMeli
Ooh great! Let us know if you have any suggestions once you get a chance to play the demo.

@AERenoir
Aw, that’s sweet of you. I’m not the best coder by any means, so there’s a lot of beating my head against desks until something works. But once you develop a new feature, you can save the code for other projects as well. (copy paste ftw)

@Erikka
Guys with long hair are my favorite too! More games with long-haired bishounen, please. <3 I actually wrote some silly scenes about the MC asking each of the guys how mermaids reproduce, so maybe we’ll include those as a bonus, haha.

@EchoLove
Thanks, and sorry our update schedule is so erratic. ^^; Hopefully we’ll be better about posting here and on Tumblr from now on!

@SinSisters
Haha, poor sorcerer! He’s not actually that much older than the MC, but she likes to give him a hard time. :’D

@Aseret
Thanks for your input! So far, it seems like people like pure story mode best. So I think we’ll probably focus on the main game first, and add in the minigame later if we have time.

@Fujihime
Awesome, let us know if you have any comments on the demo if you have a chance.

@Flowers from Nowhere
Lag is a big concern for me (plus some people also said that moving backgrounds make them dizzy), so hopefully “light” animation mode will help. It turns off most of the BG animations and some CG animations, but does not affect smaller things like sprite blinking, Jack’s flapping wings, and battle animations. If there are other problematic animations that should be turned off in “light” mode, let us know – we want the game to be as playable as possible!

Thanks for your input on the minigames! It sounds like most people are either indifferent or prefer pure visual novels, so we’ll probably focus on minigames later if we have time. ^^ I also edited the prologue based on your suggestions from the demo (the lifeboat, the influence of the old captain, etc.), so hopefully it will be an improvement from before. Thanks again for all your advice! :D

@OfHoneyIronandWine
Thank you for reminding us to update again! :D As you can tell, we’re really bad at keeping on top of the forums, but hopefully we’ll be a lot better with our Tumblr. (please smack us if not, haha)

@MinaThomas
I’m so glad you’re still excited for the game, even though we’ve been terrible at keeping everyone posted. We’re just as passionate about finishing, so we’re not going to abandon it anytime soon.

@FrostkingDemetri
You’re awesome. :3

@daikiraikimi
Oooh, it’s great to see more merpeople games! (especially BxB <3)

@Nebty
Thanks for clarifying for everyone! :)

@lockpicklogic
Omigosh, thank you so much for the beautiful art! She’s absolutely lovely – I love seeing her with her hair down in her pirate outfit! Do you mind if we post it on our website later, or maybe in the Extras gallery for our game? :D :D :D

@underbliss
Ooh, that’s awesome – I’m glad people are actually looking at our blog, and it’s great to make more Tumblr friends. :3 Those particular animations are already coded into the game (the gifs are actually made from Renpy videos, hence the lower quality). I don’t think we will use all of them, though. The mermaid transformation one, in particular, came out more like a magical girl sequence than I’d intended. ^^

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#281 Post by KittyKatStar »

I'd rather wait until the game is closer to completion, but that's just me. XD

If you need anyone to beta-test though, I'd be more than happy to. ;o; You've done so much for me and Deji we can't thank you enough. Game looks awesome <3

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#282 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I feel it's a more efficient use of your time to release a second demo closer to completion, so I don't mind waiting.

I love the new art---especially the backgrounds and the CGs! Well done!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Erikka
Regular

#283 Post by Erikka »

You did a wonderful job!
I was laughing from the CG where Malik is biting MC's hand)))
Can't wait to read the scenes where MC is asking mermaids how they reproduce!)) It's very interesting and funny subject) Now I think that this game is going to be even more great!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#284 Post by Harliqueen »

Can't wait for this :D Love anything to do with merpeople!

The art is stunning and those animations are incredible!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Erikka
Regular

#285 Post by Erikka »

I also think that 6 days deadline will make the romance too rush. I personally don't believe it's possible to fall in love so quickly. How about 6 weeks? Or at least 3 weeks?) Then it's more realistic)