Turn Back NOW [Kinetic Novel, Horror]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
FlawedFlare
Regular
Projects: [Without Your Half],[ Underground], Unidentified Shallow Heart

Turn Back NOW [Kinetic Novel, Horror]

#1 Post by FlawedFlare »

"I saw someone over there," she told me. I turned to the direction she was facing, but saw no one. When I turned around... She was...
Synopsis
It's Halloween night! Time for scares and candy. It's the night where children and teenagers alike make the night alive with fright. As they go out and gather delicious candy, the adults stay home and spread their sweets. However, Cihm and her friends are a little tired of doing this every year. It's time for change! For adventure! This year, they plan on going to the old misty forest, which is rumoured to be haunted. Rumors aren't always 100% true, but they aren't 0% either. Does this forest even hold scares and secrets for Cihm and her friends?

Characters
Cihm - The main heroine of our story. Cihm is a bright young girl who craves for adventure. She loves her friends and family very much and is an outgoing person. She's crazy and fun, which is why she's a little excited for the night. Her little brother and sister makes it a little hard for her to go all out though..

Shinya and Yumi - These two siblings are known to be troublemakers and pranksters; Even Naoto calls them the "Devil Twins". Though they are younger than Cihm by 3 years, they know quite a lot. And they have the mouth to run their smartass remarks. Shinya has a strong heart of leader, but can be a little reckless. While his sister, Yumi, is quiet but deceiving. She's the brains of the two and carries out the plans for their tricks.

Naoto - The self-professed "Man of the group". He shows a big dislike to Cihm's younger twin siblings as he is the victim of most of their antics. He often teases them back, but fails to phase them in any way. Though he can be slightly (but humorously at times) sexist, he geuinely cares a lot about everyone, even the twins. Naoto is the strong man and is usually asked to do things for everyone. He is a year older than Cihm.

Eri - A saintly girl who is nice to anyone and everyone. Always smiling and laughing, Eri is a wonderful joy to have in the group. She is heavily influenced by justice and believes that everyone has a pure side. She is caring and loves to help others. She often takes the twins' side when Naoto is being toyed and often says sweet things about them. Eri is Cihm's best friend and is the same age.

-------------------
Writer's Notes:
I'm still pretty much a newbie at the whole Ren'Py engine (though I've already created a game before), but I wanted to make a game for Halloween. Cause holidays are fun, right? Plus this is also an experience building game for me, so that I know how to use Ren'Py more. And get used to doing long-term projects. I'm a procrastinator, but I am trying to do about an our of work and/or drawing a day on this.
The original story is short, but I plan to edit it a little longer. And with a different twist.
Here's the original: Halloween Mishap
It was created by my friend, who was sleep deprived at the time. She asked me to keep Cihm's design, but I am free to create the other characters, which I'm doing. In my version, I'll be editing the events and the ending, but I'll still keep the plot of her story.
I'm still in the early stages, but I'm starting to pick up on work. I'd love to hear opinions on the plot so far! Sorry for not being able to provide much screenshots. I'll add them as soon as I can.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Turn Back NOW [Kinetic Novel, Horror]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

For a while, I wasn't sure that this would be a horror story. Then I read the short story on your DA account...

'Cihm' does not seem to be a common name. If I may ask, where is the name from?

FlawedFlare
Regular
Projects: [Without Your Half],[ Underground], Unidentified Shallow Heart

Re: Turn Back NOW [Kinetic Novel, Horror]

#3 Post by FlawedFlare »

gekiganwing wrote:For a while, I wasn't sure that this would be a horror story. Then I read the short story on your DA account...

'Cihm' does not seem to be a common name. If I may ask, where is the name from?
My friend named her after a cosplayer she liked. She asked not to change her design or name, but I negotiated that I at least add an "h" in the name so that it would reflect at least a little originality.

The story on her account was made pretty quickly. So I'm planning on changing and adding things, but keeping it short just in time for Halloween.