Witch Apprentice (Oct 31st update: Demo up on page 3)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Re: Witch Apprentice (Oct 31st update: Demo up on page 3)

#61 Post by Anna »

Cadenza wrote: I don't think there's a problem with Cassandra being.. well, Cassandra, and her character seems very fun! But, I think you could pull off the "this is the Pervert Witch" idea much better if you progressively revealed her perverted ways.
Now that Cadenza mentioned it, I have to agree. Most of her personality is told, not shown; it's much more interesting to see what she is like by how she acts instead of her telling us what she did/that she's perverted.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#62 Post by Razz »

I actually like the cassandra part since it's supposed to be revealed very quickly how weird everyone is, to give you a fish out of water feel or 'oh god what did she get into', but maybe the main character we could put more emphasis on expectations in the beginning? Like how they'll be noble or serious practitioners of magic seeing as they're the most powerful of all time. But yeah the char introductions are supposed to be extreme and weird and then you learn other sides to their personality.

As for the sprites...darn i'm not really sure how to fix that one. >w>

No you aren't rude! :P Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

Rem-chan
Regular

#63 Post by Rem-chan »

Ahh this game looks promising :) <3

Razz
Veteran

#64 Post by Razz »

I'm working on the GUI. I'm hesitant to use black since I think it's overused but at the same time I thought it looked nice in the demo, but I included a tan sort of textbox as well. Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

The demo title screen was one of my throwaways and i think i'm going to go for a sleeker look.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#65 Post by Anna »

I find the black one easier on the eyes, but maybe that's just me. Also, I think it would help readability if you added some drop-shadow for the text.

Cadenza
Regular
Projects: Ghost Memory

#66 Post by Cadenza »

Razz wrote: Looking for thoughts and suggestions.
I find that when working on a GUI, it's helpful to have a set aesthetic in mind for it. Colours, vibes, inspirations - basically, what kind of mood you want the design to evoke in people. The GUI design should match the VN design.

I prefer the black. I think you can't go wrong with a black textbox at >75% opacity + white text. The shape of the textbox and how the quick menu is incorporated can be a way to add a more individual look to it. Also, I agree with Anna, a slight drop shadow with very little distance would help readability and look less "flat".

Are you going to be using those fonts in the final, do you think? The text font looks a bit too "comic book" to me at the moment.

Razz
Veteran

#67 Post by Razz »

Thanks, i'll ask if it's possible to code in a drop shadow function. It does look better.

It is a comic book font hehe, it's my favorite one so i'm a little biased towards it. I might use calibri, which i think is the game default.
Cadenza wrote: I find that when working on a GUI, it's helpful to have a set aesthetic in mind for it. Colours, vibes, inspirations - basically, what kind of mood you want the design to evoke in people. The GUI design should match the VN design.
Very good advice...hmmm. Gonna go back to tinkering with it. Thanks!

Cadenza
Regular

#68 Post by Cadenza »

I think Calibri would be good! I love Calibri. And you should be able to code in a drop shadow, I'm sure it's somewhere on the Ren'Py site. Happy tinkering! ♥

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#69 Post by Reikun »

Razz wrote:I'm working on the GUI. I'm hesitant to use black since I think it's overused but at the same time I thought it looked nice in the demo, but I included a tan sort of textbox as well. Looking for thoughts and suggestions.
How can black be overused? :shock: /halfjoking
I like the black one since it provides better contrast with Adriana's color scheme while the Tan one kinda blends with her hair :S Also black will undoubtedly match with all the sprites/bgs/colors you could ever put in the game while tan may not be appropriate for all scenes?

But uh. Take whatever I say with a grain of salt in terms of GUI. Since I, y'know, made a tan-ish textbox. /brick'd
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

izukwon
Regular
Projects: Saundersi: Level 7

#70 Post by izukwon »

I like the tan better than the black. I think when you use transparent black for the textbox it kinda gives you the "this is what I thought" feel. You know, in comic books/manga black frames mean either a flashback or a thought.
While it's true the tan blends too well with Adriana's sprite, I don't think that's a bad Idea. Also with what the game is about, the color fits that "leather scroll" feeling perfectly too. And I don't see why tan would not match with certain color, I have a khaki jeans that fits perfectly with any colorful and mute shirts I own :o Though I am biased to brown and its family colors :p

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#71 Post by Blane Doyle »

Hmn... I am... a bit down the middle, actually. I like both and both have their downsides, agh... Hmn...

The black is traditional (in a loose sense) and naturally looks nice and fits a story for witches. But a lighter text box fits the goofy tone. The black one blends in Adri's cape too much to me, while the light one blends her in general but not overwhelmingly so. Both are easy to read, but I find the tan one easier on my (weak) eyes.

Hmn... I think I would vote for the tan one, but I think it could use a little work color tone wise.

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#72 Post by WickedRaccoon »

even though they both look fine to me,i think i'm going to vote tan,cause it makes adriana's sprite look better.black makes her loose her cape and black hair streaks in the backround,and the tan brings them out (hope i'm making sense) ^^

Cadenza
Regular

#73 Post by Cadenza »

I think it's important to remember that while the tan one may look better with Adriana's sprite, all characters + narration will also be occupying the textbox. Just a note c:

Razz
Veteran

#74 Post by Razz »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! ;w; You guys are awesome. I'm still tinkering with it, I couldn't get any non-nuetral colors to look good so i'm gonna see if a nice texture or backdrop behind her will help.

Incidentally here is the new title screen!

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#75 Post by wakagana »

That looks quite fancy. -adjusts monocle- I approve~

Only odd thing for me is the change of text/size with Exit.

Almost makes me feel like you should feel guilty for clicking on it D;