Clearwater Crossing [Otome] (Open Dev)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

Re: Clearwater Crossing[GxB][Otome] (Open Dev)

#46 Post by Kingv » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:53 am

KittyKatStar wrote:I like the combining idea (yesss the goatee is staying). Can't wait to see the final result for Mr. Hot-Damn here. ^_^

Psst, Orion's full name should be Orion Hot-Damn. XD
Great! I made some revisons for his hair so I hope to get some more opinions. I think I could get used to Orion Hot-Damn, although it kinda sounds like a stripper name. But I totally don't mind that hehe. ^^
Would be an interested secret side job if I was planning an 18+ game though.

So...I tried out the combinations idea for Orion and let's just say, it looked pretty crazy. I don't know what was going on but I couldn't get it like I had envisioned so I simplified it a bit. Kept the spikes and rearranged the braids. Not 100% happy, but it's an interesting result. But I think I may have settled on a hair color for Orion at least. I'm liking the dark red to black combo so it just might end up staying. Now if only I can settle on a hair design I like... But at least his body and lifeguard outfit are done for the most part.

And I made a few rough sketches for an older Gio. Definitely need to look up how to draw older people because he's still too much of a baby face for me. Gio's a bit of a prick depending on your game choices but given his back story it's not surprising. I think his route will be pretty interesting to write.

And if no one knows by now I'm just going to throw it out there. I like drawing well built guys with pretty hair. So be prepared to see more dudes like that throughout development. Orion is the second most muscular character in the game so for the other guys I'll be toning things down some for a little variety. No one is typical anime guy wispy toothpick thin since I don't care for that particular look but there aren't any bear fur chested Hulks walking around either. So be prepared if you're skittish of seeing men naked from the waist up. This is an otome after all. And I do love me some fanservice.^^
Attachments
orionGio.png

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#47 Post by WickedRaccoon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:59 am

Even though I'm a sucker for toothpick thin guys,having well built men as pursuables is an enjoyable change. But wait...if Orion is second,then...who is the first? 8/
Aww,Gio still looks cute! Guess that no matter how old he is,he'll always be a baby-face xD
I love the new Kristian sprites. Oh my,that's a smexy dude. Why is his work sprite's hair yellow though? Kinda looks odd..
Also,while I was droolingchecking Orion out,I noticed that you used the soft shading style. So are you going with soft shading for all the sprites?

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC

#48 Post by Hazel-Bun » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Just wanted to add that i'm very excited to see this game coming together! The variety in the guys and amount of detail in your art is awesome and I hope this is finished someday soon!

elephantbuns

#49 Post by elephantbuns » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 am

This looks awesome! I especially like Abbie's character design and the third character design for Kristian (punk in a tech uniform? heck yeah!).

Looking forward to hopefully seeing more on this as it develops!

Also, your artwork is so gorgeous that I'm salivating. Just FYI.

Kingv
Veteran

#50 Post by Kingv » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:00 pm

WickedRaccoon wrote:Even though I'm a sucker for toothpick thin guys,having well built men as pursuables is an enjoyable change. But wait...if Orion is second,then...who is the first? 8/
Aww,Gio still looks cute! Guess that no matter how old he is,he'll always be a baby-face xD
I love the new Kristian sprites. Oh my,that's a smexy dude. Why is his work sprite's hair yellow though? Kinda looks odd..
Also,while I was droolingchecking Orion out,I noticed that you used the soft shading style. So are you going with soft shading for all the sprites?
I just wanted to switch things up a bit. I think the thinnest guy by far is probably Kristian and the most well built is Remy. I'll have to put up a size comparison once I get all the bachelors done. Lol, he does have quite the baby face. But as the game progresses you'll see he put it to good use. I'm still messing with the shading on Kristian's' hair. The purplish pink shading I did on his overall sprite made his hair looked washed out so I though a darker yellow would work but I was wrong. So they'll be changing when I update is sprite. The shading will be a mix of hard and soft. I still have to go back and had some hard shadows into Orion's sprite.
Hazel-Bun wrote:Just wanted to add that i'm very excited to see this game coming together! The variety in the guys and amount of detail in your art is awesome and I hope this is finished someday soon!
Thanks! It might take some time since I'm doing all the writing and art by myself but I can't wait to share the finished project with everyone.
elephantbuns wrote:This looks awesome! I especially like Abbie's character design and the third character design for Kristian (punk in a tech uniform? heck yeah!).

Looking forward to hopefully seeing more on this as it develops!

Also, your artwork is so gorgeous that I'm salivating. Just FYI.
Thank you for such a nice comment! The last few days i've been trying to pick words that describe each characters' fashion sense and I'd have to say that punk fits Kristian very well.

My home internet has been off for about a wek now and won't be on again til a few more days. When it's up and working I'll be update some pictures on the first post as well as give anoter update on the script. It's been awhile since I've done one of those.

Kingv
Veteran

#51 Post by Kingv » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Thought I'd make another small update since it's Valentine's Day and the perfect timing one since this is an otome game. Haven't done too much with art because of work but I have tinkered with the script a bit. Kristians winter outfit has been changed and now Orion has some clothes other than his work uniform. You can see those revisions in the first post. As I'm working more and more on the characters I'm becoming a little tempted to make Willow a pursuable character. She has so much conflict with the guys Abby comes in contact with as well as history with her it makes some sense that they could be together. But I have enough on my plate as is so I'm just going to stick with the plan and maybe add that in once my other goals are met.

Right now I'm working on Kristian and his first date location which is hanging out in downtown Clearwater Crossing. I'm taking a little inspiration from my other dating sim and adding other locations within the one date as well as being able to ask questions. For example while downtown with Kristian on a date you can go to a convenience store, an electronics store or just walk around and window shop. If things go well he might invite you to another location and give you a little insight into his character. Depending on your relationship with the other characters they may show up while you're together and act jealous or try and help you win the guy over.

Script Update:

Code: Select all

The game contains 1,396 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 20,987 words,
for an average of 15.0 words per screen.
The game contains 35 menus.
In terms of actual story at least half of the script is just copy and pasted code. I'm too scared I'll mess something up if I code each guy from scratch so when I get one section working I duplicate it four times for the other characters. Oh and commented out script that hasn't been formatted yet makes up a portion of it as well.

Features that have been added thus far:
-A Phone! Now you can call guys out and ask them on dates
-Dating! It's only one location and with one guy but it's a start
-Birthdays! Each character has a one so be sure to buy them something nice on their special day
-Other stuff I can't remember and will add to this post later

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#52 Post by KittyKatStar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 am

The revisions are great, good job with them. ^^

And thanks for the update. I like the phone idea and taking the initiative there.

I agree with you sticking with the plan. It's too easy to keep adding more and more things (i.e. new route, more characters, etc) and end up getting overwhelmed by it. Good luck with the rest of the progress. =)

Kingv
Veteran

#53 Post by Kingv » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:44 pm

KittyKatStar wrote:The revisions are great, good job with them. ^^

And thanks for the update. I like the phone idea and taking the initiative there.

I agree with you sticking with the plan. It's too easy to keep adding more and more things (i.e. new route, more characters, etc) and end up getting overwhelmed by it. Good luck with the rest of the progress. =)
Thanks! I always planned to implement a phone system but was a little unsure of how to do it. In the beginning you could only make calls from the day planner. But I'm glad I managed to get it integrated and working into the textbox. That way you can people anytime you aren't doing an event scene. In those instances the calling feature will be blocked. I'm going to definitely be sticking with the plan. I don't want to get sidetracked and end up causing more trouble for myself.

Since the main GUI is pretty much done design wise I've now noticed it doesn't really mix all that great with the textbox and date/time side graphic. So I was thinking that maybe I should change it up some and came up with this. Eventually I want to add a custom stamina bar but it's a little beyond my knowledge at this point. What do you guys think of a redesign? Is it too dark/heavy for a game like this? Only thing I'm not completely sure of is the clutter factor. Might be too much on screen at once.
Attachments
newInterface.png

9-of-Hearts
Regular

#54 Post by 9-of-Hearts » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 pm

I love the text box and everything, but my immediate reaction was having the GUI plus a detailed background PLUS the characters all together like they should be seems a little more than a little cluttered and distracting. I love everything individually, but it feels like there's too much going on, especially with a lot of things so colorful.

I don't think I've posted here before, but I've been watching this for a while--keep up the great work!! :D

Kingv
Veteran

#55 Post by Kingv » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:43 pm

9-of-Hearts wrote:I love the text box and everything, but my immediate reaction was having the GUI plus a detailed background PLUS the characters all together like they should be seems a little more than a little cluttered and distracting. I love everything individually, but it feels like there's too much going on, especially with a lot of things so colorful.

I don't think I've posted here before, but I've been watching this for a while--keep up the great work!! :D
I totally understand what you're saying. I'm in the process of moving some of the elements around and resizing things. The stamina bar area definitely has to go since it makes the overall design too busy. Going to play around with ideas over the next few days and will hopefully post another update then.

It's always good to see new people post on the thread so I hope to see you around!

9-of-Hearts
Regular

#56 Post by 9-of-Hearts » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:10 am

Kingv wrote:I totally understand what you're saying. I'm in the process of moving some of the elements around and resizing things. The stamina bar area definitely has to go since it makes the overall design too busy. Going to play around with ideas over the next few days and will hopefully post another update then.

It's always good to see new people post on the thread so I hope to see you around!
Yay for possible updates! But yeah..... ^^;;; I'm bad with lurking and not posting on 90% of the games I'm watching and excited for, it's a bad habit. reallyreallyreallybadhabit
Still, see ya around... :3

Kingv
Veteran

#57 Post by Kingv » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:07 pm

9-of-Hearts wrote:
Kingv wrote:I totally understand what you're saying. I'm in the process of moving some of the elements around and resizing things. The stamina bar area definitely has to go since it makes the overall design too busy. Going to play around with ideas over the next few days and will hopefully post another update then.

Yay for possible updates! But yeah..... ^^;;; I'm bad with lurking and not posting on 90% of the games I'm watching and excited for, it's a bad habit. reallyreallyreallybadhabit
Still, see ya around... :3
I totally understand. I'm really bad about posting on projects that interest me as well. Sometimes I don't have anything meaningful to say other that "That's so pretty!" so I feel bad commenting...But yeah, see ya around!

Kingv
Veteran

Re: Clearwater Crossing[GxB] (Open Dev)

#58 Post by Kingv » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Here's a quick update. Haven't been drawing much since I have been working on commissions and such so when I have time I just focus on writing.

Code: Select all

The game contains 1,840 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 28,909 words,
for an average of 15.7 words per screen.
The game contains 42 menus.
I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my version of Ren'Py solely for the ability to spell check as I write since I tend to mess small things. But I'm curious if I could go back to the old version if the upgrade isn't working for me...

Here's a screenshot of the phone menu in action. When you click the cellphone option from the text box this screen will show up. There are pictures as well as names of the people you can call along with a graphical flower representation of their affection towards you. I'm using the Harvest Moon heart level color scheme since it works for now.

There will be three shops in game where you can purchase items. Here's a quick rundown of what they are as well as items they sell
Once Upon A Time Books is where you can purchase books and stat raising items. Willow works here and you can visit her to talk anytime.
1. Forever Sunshine: An instrumental album of calming nature sounds.
2. Everyday Guide to the Arts: A book that has basic guides for every artist.
3. Art Set:A big sketch pad of paper with lots of colored pencils included.
4. Kiss & Makeup: A guide to unleashing your inner beauty(+Charisma)
5. The Wolf Next Door: A drama story about a teenage girl dating a werewolf
6. Ni Hao Kitty Puzzle: A 1,000 piece puzzle set featuring the iconic Ni Hao Kitty
7. Sakura Nagashi: Collectors edition volume of a popular shoujo manga
8.Zook: A popular e-reader that let's you read digital books on the go.

TechnoBUG sells electronics. Travis works there.
1. Fix It Fred!: A retro video game about fixing things
2. Name: ???
3. Pursuit of Crowns:Boxset of a popular medieval themed TV show about various kingdoms conquering each other.
4. Digital Camera: A small camera used by photographers.
5. iBud: A popular brand of mp3 player that's like a mini computer.
6. Nova S III: The newest smart phone on the market from TriStar.
7. Graphics Tablet: Used for digital drawing.
8. Katana: A graphic editing program used by artist.

Boardwalk Diner is the local eatery. Cypress can be found here and you'll be able to talk to her.
1. Coffee: A refreshing drink that gives you a small energy boost
3.Daily Special: Changes depending on what time of day it is

I also redesigned both Willow(left) and Cypress(right) and updated their bios on the first post. Travis(guy in middle) is just another NPC so he doesn't play a big part in the game, although he does show up in a few event scenes. All three characters are wearing their work uniforms.
Attachments
cellphone.png
NPC.jpg
Willow, Travis and Cypress

Roseus Mirabili
Regular

#59 Post by Roseus Mirabili » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:11 pm

I have the say that the art looks beautiful and the all the characters seem interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this game progresses and all the updates to come. (I'm also a fan of your other game and can't wait to see it finished since I thoroughly enjoyed the demo)

Kingv
Veteran

#60 Post by Kingv » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Roseus Mirabili wrote:I have the say that the art looks beautiful and the all the characters seem interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this game progresses and all the updates to come. (I'm also a fan of your other game and can't wait to see it finished since I thoroughly enjoyed the demo)
Thank you very much! I'm trying my best to make the game look as good as I can. I'm glad you're a fan of my flash game as well. It's interesting to be making games using two different programs but I've been learning a lot during my journey.