Clearwater Crossing [Otome] (Open Dev)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Roseus Mirabili
Regular

Re: Clearwater Crossing[GxB] (Open Dev)

#61 Post by Roseus Mirabili »

Kingv wrote:Thank you very much! I'm trying my best to make the game look as good as I can. I'm glad you're a fan of my flash game as well. It's interesting to be making games using two different programs but I've been learning a lot during my journey.
Its no problem at all. I figured you'd want some feedback (since most people do when they in the makings of a project) and you certainly my support in those very two projects (especially since you have the courage to see it through to the end, my project is still a idea lol)

ixWishing
Veteran

Re: Clearwater Crossing[GxB][Otome] (Open Dev)

#62 Post by ixWishing »

Kingv wrote:
Thanks! I always planned to implement a phone system but was a little unsure of how to do it. In the beginning you could only make calls from the day planner. But I'm glad I managed to get it integrated and working into the textbox. That way you can people anytime you aren't doing an event scene. In those instances the calling feature will be blocked. I'm going to definitely be sticking with the plan. I don't want to get sidetracked and end up causing more trouble for myself.

Since the main GUI is pretty much done design wise I've now noticed it doesn't really mix all that great with the textbox and date/time side graphic. So I was thinking that maybe I should change it up some and came up with this. Eventually I want to add a custom stamina bar but it's a little beyond my knowledge at this point. What do you guys think of a redesign? Is it too dark/heavy for a game like this? Only thing I'm not completely sure of is the clutter factor. Might be too much on screen at once.
Ah, I'm back on this thread, haha. It's been a while since I came by here.
Anyways, wow! A calling system?! How awesome would that be? Haha.
Would it be like calling on a date/hang out or something?
- Everlasting Dreams ;

Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

#63 Post by Kingv »

Roseus Mirabili wrote:
Kingv wrote:Thank you very much! I'm trying my best to make the game look as good as I can. I'm glad you're a fan of my flash game as well. It's interesting to be making games using two different programs but I've been learning a lot during my journey.
Its no problem at all. I figured you'd want some feedback (since most people do when they in the makings of a project) and you certainly my support in those very two projects (especially since you have the courage to see it through to the end, my project is still a idea lol)
I always appreciate any feedback users may have. It's really helped me during the game making progress to get opinions and suggestions from everyone here. Everything starts off as an iadea so I wish you the best of luck in your project.
ixWishing wrote:
Ah, I'm back on this thread, haha. It's been a while since I came by here.
Anyways, wow! A calling system?! How awesome would that be? Haha.
Would it be like calling on a date/hang out or something?
I think having a phone system is pretty neat. ^^ Yes, you'd be able to call characters in order to hang out and date. Depending on their affection level there is the potential that they will refuse you. Oh and if you call a character while they're at work they won't pick up and you can leave them a message. But you have to be sure you don't so this too much or they will start to think you're some type of stalker. :lol:

Pyun~
Regular

#64 Post by Pyun~ »

Amazing hairstyle for the girl~ :D And amazing art. :P

HalYac17
Regular

#65 Post by HalYac17 »

This looks incredibly cool! Will be keeping my eye on this one! :D

Kingv
Veteran

#66 Post by Kingv »

Pyun~ wrote:Amazing hairstyle for the girl~ :D And amazing art. :P
Thanks! Glad you're linking the revisions. I think her hair looks much better now.
HalYac17 wrote:This looks incredibly cool! Will be keeping my eye on this one! :D
I'm happy to have caught your attentions with my little project. ^^

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

#67 Post by Rye »

I'm always admire your art from the time I played Lunar Lotus Festival. You're so good at creating story and art. Hope you can finish LLF and CC soon.
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#68 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I get so excited when I see updates for this game! Keep on keeping on and the amount of detail in this is just unf- ;o; That and I want to hug Travis so badly! Look at that face, man!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Kingv
Veteran

#69 Post by Kingv »

Rye wrote:I'm always admire your art from the time I played Lunar Lotus Festival. You're so good at creating story and art. Hope you can finish LLF and CC soon.
Aww, thanks! I'm touched by such a nice comment. ^^ I'm always a little wary of my storytelling versus my art as the latter is something I'm more comfortable doing. But it makes me happy to know my efforts are well appreciated!
Hazel-Bun wrote:I get so excited when I see updates for this game! Keep on keeping on and the amount of detail in this is just unf- ;o; That and I want to hug Travis so badly! Look at that face, man!
I'm so glad the game is picking up steam again, even if it's just a little bit. One thing I do love about Ren'Py is the ability to make the art as detailed as you want without having to worry about system slowdown. Which is really important in my case since I have an older PC.
PoorTravis needs all the hugs he can get. He has a rough start in the game
given the fact that he's caught giving wrong customer service advice at technoBUG and is reprimanded by his manager Kristian. ^^

Kingv
Veteran

#70 Post by Kingv »

Here's another small edit. Since the games uses both a friendship and love meters I thought it would be a good idea to have a visual representation of both elements in the phone menu. Friendship Points are represented by faces while Love Points still use the flower graphic as before. Only with characters you can have no romantic relationships with(Mom, Willow and Dorian)will have both indicators change colors at the same time. And by having the indicators integrated with the phone you'll be able to quickly see where you are relationship wise with all the characters. I still plan to add a status screen where you can see the actually points between characters but that's a ways away.

Color Meaning:
GREY:Indifferent
PURPLE: Acquaintance
BLUE: Friends
YELLOW: Interested
ORANGE: Crush
RED: Love
Attachments
friendLoveLevels.png

Kingv
Veteran

#71 Post by Kingv »

A few more things to show. Here are two NPCs. The one on the left is Remy's mother(has no name yet) and on the right is Orion's coworker Missy(Will probably change her name though). Both are wearing their work uniforms, which will probably be the only clothing changes they will have.

I'm also facing a little problem in regards to the Orion splash image here. It started off as a sketch just to become more familiar with his character design but I ended up liking it. So I thought I'd add in a fun little feature for the transition when the player goes to bed for the night. The default image (sleepDefault) would be Abby lying in bed asleep. But depending on your love points the picture you see would change. So let's say you had at least 50 love points with Orion then the image I uploaded would show up. But if you had higher love points with Remy the next time you went to bed then there's the potential you'd see one of his images. It's a little hard for me to explain so here's a tidbit of the code.

Code: Select all

label nightSleep:   
A"It's been a long day. Time for bed."
$ r = renpy.random.randint(1, 2)
if r == 1:
    if (orionxp >=50 and orionxp < 79 ):
        scene cg sleepOrion1   
    if (orionxp >=80):
        scene cg sleepOrion2
    else:
        scene cg sleepDefault       
if r == 2:
    if (remyxp >=50 and remyxp < 79 ):
        scene cg sleepRemy1    
    if (remyxp >=80):
        scene cg sleepRemy2
    else:
        scene cg sleepDefault
pause 3.0
scene black with fade

This is just an example but I think you can get the idea of what I'm aiming for. Of course this would all be done randomly so if you ended on a guy you don't meet the required love points then you'd end up seeing the default image of Abby sleeping. But doing this would require me to make two extra images per bachelor. So I'd probably hold off and save this for last since it's not integral to the game, just a way to see more pretty pictures.

Code: Select all

The game contains 2,121 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 33,641 words,
for an average of 15.9 words per screen.
The game contains 48 menus.
Not much improvement from last time but it's getting there. Oh! I forgot to add that I coded in another way to make money, which is by working at the inn. There are a few activities which are randomly chosen for you to do and you get paid based on what they are. For example sweeping the lobby will earn less money than organizing the inns' accounts. Although choosing to freelance for other will make the most money in game it does take a few days to complete each project. With this new system in place it's easier to make a little quick money. I have some other code/script stuff to share but i'll save it for another update since I can't remember what all I've done off the top of my head.
Attachments
ccNPC2.png
orionSplash.png

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#72 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Orion...
*causally gawks at that image*
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Kingv
Veteran

#73 Post by Kingv »

Hazel-Bun wrote:Orion...
*causally gawks at that image*
I'm always up for looking at half naked guys. I think I shall join you. :)

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#74 Post by Blane Doyle »

While I love the idea of those indicators it feels to me like it might be excessively easy to forget what means what in the long run. I don't know if it is just me, though, I normally like the idea of either separate indicators or more... obvious ones.

That said, all in all it's a fantastic idea and I like it! (I'm probably the only one who even thinks the above is a considerable problem anyway)

Kingv
Veteran

#75 Post by Kingv »

Blane Doyle wrote:While I love the idea of those indicators it feels to me like it might be excessively easy to forget what means what in the long run. I don't know if it is just me, though, I normally like the idea of either separate indicators or more... obvious ones.

That said, all in all it's a fantastic idea and I like it! (I'm probably the only one who even thinks the above is a considerable problem anyway)
You know, that's a very valid concern. I know more often times than not I'm stuck trying to recall what some icon means. Especially when it comes to electronics. Don't know how many times I've gotten a new phone and see some strange icon in the status bar and start hunting online for what it could mean.
Would having a quick guide you could look at help? It wouldn't give you the exact number of points you have but seeing where you are in regards to the next icon levels would be good. You could always check out each guys profile page for more info. Hopefully after more feedback I'll see if I should scrap the idea all together or if there are other ways I can tweak it to make it more user friendly.(Sorry about the rough look of the profile page. It's still a big WIP)
Attachments
profilePage.png
levelExplanations.png