Clearwater Crossing [Otome] (Open Dev)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Clearwater Crossing[Otome] (Open Dev)

#91 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Glad to see you're still plowing away at this! I tend to drop by on this topic once in a while to check up on it (stalk), and am happy to see update whoot! I think the updated cell phone interface looks spiffy and cool in general. I've played a handful of Otome games were you get messages from the guys and have loved most of 'em. Don't think that'll change here
Kingv wrote: ...I'd hate for it too be too boring visually.
I wouldn't worry much about that! While it has a much calmer feel to it, I don't think it's unnoticeable or boring at all. You have very strong textures throughout the game so maybe calm and discreet has it's own appeal? If that makes any sense.
Kingv wrote: But what kind of tracker do you guys think would look good? Having little icons representing each person on the map at their given location or a scheduler that would fill out over time with each guys location as you meet them and learn where they hang out each day?
I think that would be very useful indeed but that also depends on if you're up for the coding it would take? I'm no coder by a long shot, but that sounds like an awful lot to do. In stat-rasier Otome, I usually run into that problem a lot. Not knowing where to find the guy I want to date, running low on whatever, just missing him after recharging, in an endless cycle. Having a sort of unlock-able time chart would be cool. So after meeting him at a certain amount of times/places, a little icon pops up or a cell phone alert stating he'll mostly be there at such and such time. Though the latter borders on stalker-ish.... But isn't that what your already doing albeit less tech-savvy haha?

Oh, and don't worry about my "woah-is-me" complaint about the non-obtainables! All the men available already looking very interesting and there is no need to push yourself to pander to pixel-eating-whiners like me lol. I'll just stay quite and let you work your mojo~! ^^ Plus that cellphone picture has piqued my interest plenty. If only I could have screen-savers like that and not get looks xD
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

shiho14
Regular

#92 Post by shiho14 »

1.Are there any characters that stand out to you so far? If so, why? (Could be design, personality or anything else.)
Abigail's design really stood out for me. Usually I'll be looking at the guys xD Her character design is really beautiful. I love her freckles, it's like a beauty mark for her ^^

2.What type of events would you be interested in seeing in the game?
I'm sorry I don't know if this is an event but I saw that there will be Romantic, Jealousy and Friendship endings available in the game. It's my first time seeing a Jealousy ending because usually it happens in an event in the middle of the game so I'm really curious and excited how this will turn out. :)

3. In terms of game play would you like the users choices to directly effect Abbys' personality? For example if she was very negative and sarcastic characters you talk with would respond based on how she acted.

If given an option it seems really interesting and I like the fact it depends on what your choice that will affect abby's personality. With your unique concept of the story and beautiful character designs combined that you can change Abby's personality, I think this will be a wonderful game! It seems a lot of work though, wont' it be too hard on your part?

iuliamaria
Tumblr: ughhable.tumblr

#93 Post by iuliamaria »

Hazel-Bun wrote:I wouldn't worry much about that! While it has a much calmer feel to it, I don't think it's unnoticeable or boring at all. You have very strong textures throughout the game so maybe calm and discreet has it's own appeal? If that makes any sense.
Hmm..that actually makes sense. I didn't even think about that. It's a good observation ^.^
Kingv wrote: But what kind of tracker do you guys think would look good? Having little icons representing each person on the map at their given location or a scheduler that would fill out over time with each guys location as you meet them and learn where they hang out each day?
I think having little icons representing each person on the map might be a little to easy and really stalk-ish, if for exemple you are the "new" girl in town and you know exactly where are all the boys, but you didn't talk even once with one of them.Now coming back to the topic I think that once you have talked with one of the boys enough and meet/seen them in a few places the tracker/scheduler that would fill out over time is a very good idea because it won't look as if you try/want to stalk them.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense ^-^'

Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

#94 Post by Kingv »

Hazel-Bun wrote:Glad to see you're still plowing away at this! I tend to drop by on this topic once in a while to check up on it (stalk), and am happy to see update whoot! I think the updated cell phone interface looks spiffy and cool in general. I've played a handful of Otome games were you get messages from the guys and have loved most of 'em. Don't think that'll change here
Kingv wrote: ...I'd hate for it too be too boring visually.
I wouldn't worry much about that! While it has a much calmer feel to it, I don't think it's unnoticeable or boring at all. You have very strong textures throughout the game so maybe calm and discreet has it's own appeal? If that makes any sense.
I think that would be very useful indeed but that also depends on if you're up for the coding it would take? I'm no coder by a long shot, but that sounds like an awful lot to do. In stat-rasier Otome, I usually run into that problem a lot. Not knowing where to find the guy I want to date, running low on whatever, just missing him after recharging, in an endless cycle. Having a sort of unlock-able time chart would be cool. So after meeting him at a certain amount of times/places, a little icon pops up or a cell phone alert stating he'll mostly be there at such and such time. Though the latter borders on stalker-ish.... But isn't that what your already doing albeit less tech-savvy haha?

Oh, and don't worry about my "woah-is-me" complaint about the non-obtainables! All the men available already looking very interesting and there is no need to push yourself to pander to pixel-eating-whiners like me lol. I'll just stay quite and let you work your mojo~! ^^ Plus that cellphone picture has piqued my interest plenty. If only I could have screen-savers like that and not get looks xD
You made a very valid point about the default cellphone design, definitely something to take into consideration. I'll leave it as is for now and if I feel the need to adjust it down the road I will. I like the idea of a scheduler that fills in as you learn more about the guys more so than icons on the map. I should be able to use the template for the contacts menu to do the location tracker. The way it's coded is that unless certain variables are met you won't see info regarding each character. It's hard to explain but I think I can throw together a rough design in the next few days to better illustrate what I'm talking about. It's really not much work code wise. It's only for four characters and once I have the template done I can just copy it over for everyone else. Instead of having it in the cellphone I'll put it in the character status screen so you can check everything at once. I don't want everyone to get frustrated by feeling like they're on the hunt to find where the guy they want to pursue is while playing the game. Worrying about all that takes away from the fun. Having some sort of way to see where the guy you're looking for is would help. I'm trying my best not to push myself to far, I'm already doing everything myself. For now I'm sticking to the events and characters I have planned for.
shiho14 wrote:1.Are there any characters that stand out to you so far? If so, why? (Could be design, personality or anything else.)
Abigail's design really stood out for me. Usually I'll be looking at the guys xD Her character design is really beautiful. I love her freckles, it's like a beauty mark for her ^^

2.What type of events would you be interested in seeing in the game?
I'm sorry I don't know if this is an event but I saw that there will be Romantic, Jealousy and Friendship endings available in the game. It's my first time seeing a Jealousy ending because usually it happens in an event in the middle of the game so I'm really curious and excited how this will turn out. :)

3. In terms of game play would you like the users choices to directly effect Abbys' personality? For example if she was very negative and sarcastic characters you talk with would respond based on how she acted.

If given an option it seems really interesting and I like the fact it depends on what your choice that will affect abby's personality. With your unique concept of the story and beautiful character designs combined that you can change Abby's personality, I think this will be a wonderful game! It seems a lot of work though, wont' it be too hard on your part?
Thank you so much for filling out my little questionnaire! I'm a fan of Abby's design as well, freckles are just too cute. You'll encounter some jealousy events in game, usually when out on a date, but the jealousy endings will be different from those. Choices determining her personality is just an idea at the moment. I don't think it would be to hard to add in, basically there's be a variable called personality that rates on a scale of 0-100. You'd start the game with 50 personality points, which would make have a normal personality. Your choices in game would then decrees or add points to your personality. Depending on where you fall on the scale conversations would have different outcomes. But like I said, this is all just theory. I don't know if I will add this feature in or not. It would end up add more branching choices if anything else. The main thing that's slowing me down is writing since it's one of the areas I'm not well versed in. I have scenes planned out but not written for most of the cast so I'm currently looking for someone to help me fill in the gaps.

@ iuliamaria
I agree it does make things rather easy. At least with the scheduler you'd have to work at figuring out where they are each day. It also feels more natural to gradually learn their schedule than having everything given to you. And no worries, what you said made perfect sense.

compositionc

#95 Post by compositionc »

I've been stalking this thread forever, and I just wanted to say the art is brilliant and the game looks pretty fantastic. I'm looking forward to playing so much! :)

Kingv
Veteran

#96 Post by Kingv »

compositionc wrote:I've been stalking this thread forever, and I just wanted to say the art is brilliant and the game looks pretty fantastic. I'm looking forward to playing so much! :)
Thank you so much, it's thoughtful comments like yours that keep me motivated. ^^

Kingv
Veteran

#97 Post by Kingv »

I took the idea about the location tracking and added it into the game. Didn't take long at all and now it's functioning for most of Remy's locations in game. To access it you have to open your laptop, choose stats then once you pick the guy it'll show up along with his other information. To get locations to show up all you have to do is meet them at those places during their designated times. For example in the case of Remy's job just talk to him Monday-Friday during the day or afternoon at least five times. After that the time frame for his schedule will automatically unlock in his stats screen.

I also ended up tweaking Dorians' sprite again. I never can get him exactly as I envisioned but this is almost there. Definitely displays more of his arrogant nature than the last one. It still need to be shaded properly though. Been having tablet issues so I'll have to cell shade everything with my mouse for the time being.

Update on game progress!

Code: Select all

The game contains 2,600 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 44,005 words,
for an average of 16.9 words per screen.
The game contains 62 menus.
Attachments
dorian2.png
screenshot0001.png

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

#98 Post by Kyra10 »

I'm looking forward to playing this! :D

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#99 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Looking good, looking good! I like the new look of Dorian's spirte and like you said, it really showcases his arrogant side in the second one. The new tracking system looks awesome, thanks for being so open to suggestion though I hope poor Remy takes a break every now and then ^^ His schedule looks soul crushing lol.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Kingv
Veteran

#100 Post by Kingv »

Kyra10 wrote:I'm looking forward to playing this! :D
That's great! Can't wait to share it with you.
Hazel-Bun wrote:Looking good, looking good! I like the new look of Dorian's spirte and like you said, it really showcases his arrogant side in the second one. The new tracking system looks awesome, thanks for being so open to suggestion though I hope poor Remy takes a break every now and then ^^ His schedule looks soul crushing lol.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how his new sprite it looks now so there's no plans to change it. And it was my pleasure! I think the tracking system will be a great asset to the game. I'm very thankful for everyone's help in implementing it. The suggestions about how it should look and function really helped me set it up. Remy definitely has a hectic schedule. I'll have to add some fun events for his path that he can do after hours.

shiho14
Regular

#101 Post by shiho14 »

I love Dorian's new look, it suits him perfectly! ^^ The art of this game is really stunning! Just like the others I'm really excited for the full game! I'll be keeping tabs for the updates :D

Kingv
Veteran

#102 Post by Kingv »

shiho14 wrote:I love Dorian's new look, it suits him perfectly! ^^ The art of this game is really stunning! Just like the others I'm really excited for the full game! I'll be keeping tabs for the updates :D
I'm glad you like his redesign as well as the other art for the game! Looking forward to seeing your input about future updates.

ElectraPop

#103 Post by ElectraPop »

I really like the character designs, specially abby's, she looks really really cute, loving her hair.
This game looks very good to me in overall, can't wait to see more updates.

iuliamaria
Tumblr: ughhable.tumblr

#104 Post by iuliamaria »

I really like the new spirte! He looks like a real mayor that want's to do a mall on an historic part of the town :). I think the tracker looks very good and I also like that you need to talk at least five times
with a guy in one location before you unlock the location on the tracker ^•^

Elmiwisa
Veteran

#105 Post by Elmiwisa »

Sorry I did not read through all the page on this thread. I just look at the feature and see
Kingv wrote: • Dynamic Environments: World evolves based on your actions
• Romantic, Jealousy and Friendship endings available
• Stat and Event based game play
I find this very intriguing. But can you elaborate a bit more on these please? :D
Like how the world evolve based on the action? What is this Jealousy ending you have here (is it like TM:GS1)? And what do you means by Stats and Event based game play: something like LLTQ, or TM:GS1, or something else completely? :?
Sorry if this have been answered before, I didn't read the whole thread. :oops:
I'm also kinda skeptical about the seasonal clothes though, since that means you would need a whole lot more CGs too, not just the sprites. Though if it can be pulled off, it would be very interesting. :wink: