OTChi Kocchi [BxGs] Complete Game

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

Re: OTChi Kocchi [BxGs][Romance][Normal][Paranormal]

#16 Post by MarineScripter »

I'd vote for the top one on this. However, like PyTom already said, I'm not too sure if that's not just that it's technically better. The project seems very ambitious, and from the sample script you provided, quite well put together, as well. The art seems great and fits your overall theme nicely. Looks like it will be a good game.

Clayton Barnett
Regular
Projects: OKaverse VNs
Organization: 3-AR Studios LLC

#17 Post by Clayton Barnett »

Updates!

1. After several floggings the script of Act I is complete. I've a 50 page pdf if anyone would care to act as proofreaders for me. Besides the usual suspects of spelling and grammar errors, be on the lookout for plot holes, logical inconsistancies, incoherent dialog... that sort of thing.

If you've any suggestions or criticisms, please make them constructive. If I want to be belittled, I've a wife, two girls, and a day job.

2. Coding. Good Lord, that's tedious. It's also been very instructive... I know vastly more about RenPy then I did even a week ago. Coding is largely done for scenes 1-10; that was about 1200 lines. There are still commands I'm learning to make things better. I anticipate the complete Act I to be over 5000 lines. Depending on my Artist colleague, I'm hoping to cobble together a demo of scenes 1-10 (day 1) in a week.

Thank you all for your support!

lemuel
Regular
Projects: What is Life When the Golden is Gone?

#18 Post by lemuel »

I would love to edit the pdf., and have PMed with questions.

whatle02
Regular
Projects: OTChi Kocchi
Organization: 3-AR Studios

#19 Post by whatle02 »

:mrgreen: More ARt!
Attachments
Group_COLORED.png

vasudaprime

#20 Post by vasudaprime »

First of all I have to commend you and the artist for an interesting story and pretty artwork. With that said as you've said yourself this is a long project with ~16 acts (~320,000 words), so make sure you have some way to motivate yourself and the artist if/when things get hard; i.e. writer's-block and/or artist's-block. I don't know if it's a good example, but perhaps the semi-frequent blog postings of the Katawa Shoujo team might be helpful? After-all, they took 3-4 years to get the final game out and they managed to keep themselves motivated over that period.

Anyway, best of luck. I'll keep the topic bookmarked :).

Clayton Barnett
Regular

#21 Post by Clayton Barnett »

vasudaprime wrote:First of all I have to commend you and the artist for an interesting story and pretty artwork. With that said as you've said yourself this is a long project with ~16 acts (~320,000 words), so make sure you have some way to motivate yourself and the artist if/when things get hard; i.e. writer's-block and/or artist's-block. I don't know if it's a good example, but perhaps the semi-frequent blog postings of the Katawa Shoujo team might be helpful? After-all, they took 3-4 years to get the final game out and they managed to keep themselves motivated over that period.

Anyway, best of luck. I'll keep the topic bookmarked :).
Thank you for you kind words. I'm acutely aware of the scope of the full project and have resolved not to lose my nerve. In fact, it might not be so vast. In just the past 48 hours I've not only figured out what Aris is, but that she'll have only three acts in her arc. So, as long as Will can restrain me, hopefully I just saved myself 50,000 words!

Putting more work into the devblog? How stupid of me. You are completely right... and I'll begin doing that immediately. Will and I txt constantly and have ftf meetings that get us fired up, so why the heck am I not sharing any of this? Thank you, vasudaprime.

This is illustrative that any talented person, such as we are, are always better served by a talented staff, which is what I see Lemma Soft Forums acting as. Both here in this thread and in my PM's, thanks again to all of you!

lemuel
Regular

#22 Post by lemuel »

And I, aggregates aligning, will be able to resume editing act 1 in 2 days, after my major test!

lemuel
Regular

#23 Post by lemuel »

Heads up! After 2 hours of editing, another 12 pages have been edited

whatle02
Regular

#24 Post by whatle02 »

Yuki. You want a Carefission hat?
Attachments
yuki.jpg

lemuel
Regular

#25 Post by lemuel »

Well, I hope to be done editing the script by this evening! It is great.

lemuel
Regular

#26 Post by lemuel »

And I'm done! I shall email the script.

Clayton Barnett
Regular

#27 Post by Clayton Barnett »

Over the weekend, I was able to make the first-pass coding of the brute-force, simple stuff, complete. RenPy puts me just shy of line 4200, so since I use spacers to keep things clear, I'd guess about 2000 lines of real written code.

That sucked. Really. "Show, slide, hide, scene...." Awful, tedious work; all my own fault, of course.

What remains are several dozen comment (#) lines where I have "put sprite here" or "show time passage effect." Then there are those conditional statements (if-then-else) I need to learn; "if arispoints > 3 then jump scene 20a else 19a", for example. I'm looking at some of the other tutorial sites before I make a newbie nuisance of myself in the tech support forums. It may in fact be that conditional statements involve nesting an entire scene; cutting and pasting should work there.

Aside: when we printed the sheets (and sheet and sheets) of code, Will looked at the all the images I'd called for. The fact that I am still alive to post this shows his Olympian self-control. I seriously thought he was going to kill me. And yes, Artist-sama, I'm trying to amalgamate several of them!

Clayton Barnett
Regular

#28 Post by Clayton Barnett »

Oh.

Thanks to lemeul and you two others that have given me feedback on the script! Boneheaded errors and my part and many good ideas on yours! Thank you!

lemuel
Regular

#29 Post by lemuel »

Any idea when the next script will be ready for editing?

whatle02
Regular

#30 Post by whatle02 »

Sometimes, Rimu's dreams are larger than her.
Attachments
10-26-2012 1-11-20 PM.png