OTChi Kocchi [BxGs] Complete Game

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lemuel
Regular
Projects: What is Life When the Golden is Gone?

Re: OTChi Kocchi [BxGs][Romance][Normal][Paranormal]

#46 Post by lemuel »

Beautiful art. So bright and clean of line!

Clayton Barnett
Regular
Projects: OKaverse VNs
Organization: 3-AR Studios LLC

Re: OTChi Kocchi [BxGs] -- Gamma Release

#47 Post by Clayton Barnett »

"O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend The brightest heaven of invention!" -- Henry V, Prologue

For your review, I humbly submit the Gamma Version.

Not quite there yet, but consider: two men, four and a half months. I did not even begin to learn RenPy until mid-October.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

vincenzo

Re: OTChi Kocchi [BxGs] Gamma Release

#48 Post by vincenzo »

Darn...missed the gamma option!

whatle02
Regular
Projects: OTChi Kocchi
Organization: 3-AR Studios

#49 Post by whatle02 »

whatle02
Regular

#50 Post by whatle02 »

We've some really good feedback about the game. For our first outing anyway. As with any art project, there is some negative feedback as well and we will certainly take those into consideration as we continue on our path.

IF you haven't played it yet, feel free to give it a go http://otchi-kocchi.com/

As far as the rest of the game the writing has begun as well as some preliminary art!
We will continue to update the devblog over at http://otchikocchi.blogspot.com/

The panel at Ohayocon went really well! If you are into visual novels, which I assume on this website, I highly recommend taking the opportunity to talk to some other folks about the ren-py engine and the ups and downs of working on their own games.

3.JPG
DSC01746.JPG

Clayton Barnett
Regular

Re: OTChi Kocchi [BxGs] Complete Game

#51 Post by Clayton Barnett »

Greetings!

I'm attempting to wind the creaking machinery of this thread back up as we slowly begin the task of taking the huge step from Act I to a full, complete game. I've just today finished the Plot Notes for the four stories. Will is making more art and getting some promotional material together.

In my notes are various reference to effects that I'd like to make in RenPy to help the story along... nothing too extravagant, and several of them things I've seen in the R Q & A section. Clickable areas and objects on the screen, setting a timer for a player to have only so long to do something, some visual effects (which I think I can manage as variations of the 'falling sakura/snow' code). And the obvious like a Gallery and Music Room.

I did note that 6.15 is out, and am pleased there are no technical issues with Act I.

Last Fall was great fun with everyone, and I look forwards to a similar Spring! Thanks to all who've helped!

lemuel
Regular

#52 Post by lemuel »

And I look forward to editing it. Contact me when you need me.

Clayton Barnett
Regular

#53 Post by Clayton Barnett »

A status update... for anyone who might be interested.
Realizing that our proposed release date for the complete game of Halloween 2013 was far too passive, we've picked up the pace a bit. Will is taking the harrowing steps of completing his drawings without having a finished script from me. I think it will work as: 1. We've had several meetings to hash out what I want everyone to see, and 2. He and I are now eight months together on this, and we've a much better feel for how the other operates.

Having said all that...

Just now completed the script for Rimu's complete arc, acts 2-4. It's got about 2/3 of the code already imbedded. Right now, it's 19,500 words, but I'm sure I'll edit that down by at least 10-15%. There are six menus, and at least nine times where a flag/points check occurs. Unlike Act I, where you're getting to know all four characters, I was surprised how much more difficult it was to focus onto a single woman. I hope the next three go faster.

Atti's story is next, then Aoi, then Aris. Will was concerned that Aris' story would be 50k+ words, given her enormous history and my bad tendency to lecture, but I'm thinking to push the complicated Secondary World stuff into Aris and Aoi's sequels.

What's that? Of course we're making sequels! This is too much fun!

ViRiX Dreamcore
Regular
Projects: Lost Girl

#54 Post by ViRiX Dreamcore »

Aw this is awesome!

I was at your panel and while I didn't finish the first act yet, I am really enjoying it so far. Keep up the great work and looking forward to the full release.

danflorz

#55 Post by danflorz »

This is very nice art work,,,, can i suggest some,, can you art a hot anime girl with a guns or weapons.

lemuel
Regular

#56 Post by lemuel »

And I remain happy to Edit.

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#57 Post by pickle131 »

I'm really loving the art style in this as well! As much as I love the new styles, the retro ones always end up being my favourites <3
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

whatle02
Regular

#58 Post by whatle02 »

Thanks for all of the compliments on the art! I can draw many styles, but for some reason this style stuck with this particular story.
As my writer was kind enough to give an update, I shall as well:

I'm looking at over a hundred new images for the final game. This includes cg's and sprites of new characters and current characters in alternative clothing. The game ballooned from7 characters to, at my count, almost 20, which is great!

Two side games that are not sequels are humming along as well.

Noda and Naruko's Naughty Nights(4N for short)is a quick game that explains what happens when the brazen nurse Naruko goes to night shift for a week. Nightly encounters with Noda occur and hilarity ensues. (Roughly 11k words and 4 different endings before she goes back to first shift)

Chibi-Kocchi is going to be a quick fun game detailing the characters at a beach for a day in the sun! In Chibi form! Cause who doesn’t love that?! (Maybe 8500 words and 9 different endings)

Any who, things are moving along and I’m sure I'll update the introduction to some of the characters in the upcoming weeks. Some are supportive cast while others are integral to the plot and each girl’s arc. More to come!

Thanks for playing, for the feedback, and for coming out to the panel!

Cheers!
[img]
toast.JPG
[/img]

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#59 Post by gekiganwing »

If you want to create spinoffs, that's fine. But unless you're currently planning to sell the sidestories / spinoff games, or use them as a way to promote Otchi Kocchi, you might benefit by just focusing on your main project.

(For a comparison that might be relevant: the Flash game NANACA†CRASH!! is free, short, and easy to understand, which contributes to its popularity. But unless you do your research, you might never know that it's based on CROSS†CHANNEL.)

whatle02
Regular

#60 Post by whatle02 »

gekiganwing wrote:If you want to create spinoffs, that's fine. But unless you're currently planning to sell the sidestories / spinoff games, or use them as a way to promote Otchi Kocchi, you might benefit by just focusing on your main project.
Of course they would be used to promote the main game. They are shorter, free, and just having some additional fun with characters. For example, in Act I even, Naruko and Noda are introduced but who are they? 4N is how you find out. Chibi-Kocchi will be used as a lighthearted version of the same characters. (Think Chibi-telia for Hetalia Axis Powers)

As an artist/writer myself, and with Clayton doing the writing for the main game, if I have free time to write a 11K story where some of the character sprites are already completed, why wouldn't I want to flesh out said characters? As I noted, they are not direct sequels. They are present to open up the world of Otchi Kocchi even further.