Modus Operandi [GxB] [Murder Mystery]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Hannahchu
Regular
Projects: Morte. Deaths Kiss! I'm no boy! <3

Re: Modus Operandi [GxB] [Murder Mystery]

#16 Post by Hannahchu »

The art on this is beautiful, I look forward to any form of release. The storyline is also very compelling. I wish you luck!

Chu~

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#17 Post by Daistarir »

Hehe , you're opposite me. Boy is not my strong point. I only can draw chibis, girls, and shota.

MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

#18 Post by MarineScripter »

Hannahchu wrote:The art on this is beautiful, I look forward to any form of release. The storyline is also very compelling. I wish you luck!

Chu~

Thanks for that, we're both working very hard on piecing this together right now. Thank you~

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#19 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Ooooh pretty men~
I love the sound of this and I will be stalking you O___O

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

MarineScripter
Regular

#20 Post by MarineScripter »

AshenhartKrie wrote:Ooooh pretty men~
I love the sound of this and I will be stalking you O___O
Haha XD. Thanks, we'll be looking forward to it.

Clayton Barnett
Regular
Projects: OKaverse VNs
Organization: 3-AR Studios LLC

#21 Post by Clayton Barnett »

As someone beating his head against his own VN...

As a mystery, is it a matter of choice flags from clue to clue? Follow the wrong clues to a bad end... or just a false end?
As an engineer, I was trained to "follow the yeses" to a conclusion to solve a problem... a mystery like this would either have to be mostly kinetic or wildly choice-based, it seems to me.

Two of my character arcs are somewhat based on mystery. At least, figuring out who/what they are. I'd really like to know how you are unpacking this so that I might improve on my work, as well.

Thank you!

MarineScripter
Regular

#22 Post by MarineScripter »

Clayton Barnett wrote:As someone beating his head against his own VN...

As a mystery, is it a matter of choice flags from clue to clue? Follow the wrong clues to a bad end... or just a false end?
As an engineer, I was trained to "follow the yeses" to a conclusion to solve a problem... a mystery like this would either have to be mostly kinetic or wildly choice-based, it seems to me.

Two of my character arcs are somewhat based on mystery. At least, figuring out who/what they are. I'd really like to know how you are unpacking this so that I might improve on my work, as well.

Thank you!

For a detective-based mystery VN, my partner and I have thrown tons of gameplay ideas out and have liked some and vetoed some. Following the wrong clues to a bad end is something we were considering, but we'll have more investigating to add to to the choice flags. For example, ideally we'd like to insert some point-and-click scenes for clue gathering as well as deductions made on logic. This was brought up since just choosing from choices seemed too simple and somewhat boring for a detective VN.
Some choices will be based on facts previously stated, like remembering the time, or person, at an area, or what you found where, just to make sure you are paying attention. Some are based on deductions, some on personality, and some are free choices that gain you different results but don't necessarily hurt or improve your overall score.

...I'm not sure what else to put here, so if this isn't what you wanted to know, feel free to correct me and ask again.

CeruleanMermaid
Regular
Organization: Oceanic Eden

#23 Post by CeruleanMermaid »

Daistarir wrote:Hehe , you're opposite me. Boy is not my strong point. I only can draw chibis, girls, and shota.
That's how I was at the beginning, before I started putting all my energy into practicing guys.. and ignored girls ^^;

Alright guys, I tried to fix some of the issues on Sayuri, so let me know if it looks better!

Here's the old version:
oldSayurisketch.jpg
And here's the new sketch:
Sayurisketch.jpg
So? Does it look better? Or does it still look wrong? Please let me know!

Genesislove
Regular

#24 Post by Genesislove »

I think the second version is better, her hips aren't as thick and it looks more natural. BTW, this game looks awesome and I'll be stalking it.:D

Clayton Barnett
Regular
Projects: OKaverse VNs
Organization: 3-AR Studios LLC

#25 Post by Clayton Barnett »

Some choices will be based on facts previously stated, like remembering the time, or person, at an area, or what you found where, just to make sure you are paying attention.
Allow me to demonstate my appalling ignorance of RenPy.

So rather than, "The murder happended at..."
[choice boxes]
"0230"
"0430"

you will instead have a field into which the player must type an answer?
Then there will be a JUMP depending on that answer being correct or not? If so, that's awesome. I could make tremendous use of this when I write Aris' arc...

[building collapsing; fire all about; one of THEM present]
"Shirou! Now! Recall your training!"
'Of course! I...'
(enter proper answer)

If that's what you're getting at, I'm interested for us both. If not, berate me accordingly!

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#26 Post by broken_angel »

Since I was the one who made the critique, I feel obligated to throw in my two cents...
SayurisketchComparison.jpg
The one on the left is your second sketch, the one on the right is a high-level outline I made to see if I could find the proportions I thought looked "right."

As you can see, I made the head bigger, the neck wider, broadened the shoulders slightly, redid the breast of the blouse, shortened the torso slightly, shortened the arms, and made the skirt smaller. I'm not an artist, so there are probably many things that are off.

Anyway, do with it what you will. If you think she looks okay as she is now, then disregard me. :) Ultimately, it's up to the artist to decide when they're satisfied with their work, but I hope it helped at least a little to have a second perspective.

MarineScripter
Regular

#27 Post by MarineScripter »

Clayton Barnett wrote:
Some choices will be based on facts previously stated, like remembering the time, or person, at an area, or what you found where, just to make sure you are paying attention.
Allow me to demonstate my appalling ignorance of RenPy.

So rather than, "The murder happended at..."
[choice boxes]
"0230"
"0430"

you will instead have a field into which the player must type an answer?
Then there will be a JUMP depending on that answer being correct or not? If so, that's awesome. I could make tremendous use of this when I write Aris' arc...

[building collapsing; fire all about; one of THEM present]
"Shirou! Now! Recall your training!"
'Of course! I...'
(enter proper answer)

If that's what you're getting at, I'm interested for us both. If not, berate me accordingly!

Fantastic. That's something I was thinking about but had trouble suggesting to my partner. She wasn't too keen on using a 'Clock Zero' system, which is understandable but I still insisted we at least try it. We actually consider using a bit of both at the moment. For example:

"You say there's no way Marshmallow Man could be the killer? What proof do you have?"
You'd have to choose:
"Because he was eating cake at that time,"
"He's left handed and thus could not use the murder weapon."
"There's something wrong with this piece of evidence."

Or:
"Why can't MM be the killer?"

Enter "Candelabra" or whatever evidence, person, or action fits the situation. Problem is, this is a well-hated system from what I've seen. So why do I really want to do it? Some would be action choices, like "tackle" for example, but since it's my partner who's doing the actual programming, I just am the brainstormer. Nothing's final yet, but that's what I'd like to do.
After all, sometimes you have the right idea, but the wrong word, and are then frustrated. Then we could have several correct words...I'll have to see if I can convince CM.

michi 18
Veteran
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.

#28 Post by michi 18 »

Gonna watch this one ^^
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#29 Post by Daistarir »

CeruleanMermaid wrote:
Daistarir wrote:Hehe , you're opposite me. Boy is not my strong point. I only can draw chibis, girls, and shota.
That's how I was at the beginning, before I started putting all my energy into practicing guys.. and ignored girls ^^;

Alright guys, I tried to fix some of the issues on Sayuri, so let me know if it looks better!

Here's the old version:
oldSayurisketch.jpg
And here's the new sketch:
Sayurisketch.jpg
So? Does it look better? Or does it still look wrong? Please let me know!
Okay ... It's stll look ... Like a man (Urgh , sorry )
Balance your work . Now j, I'm good at both girl and boys . (Muahahahaha ! Finally , after a week of practicing . Now , 40 more BGs to draw . And another month of learning to digital the art xD Okay , I'm off)
I think the girl just need to ... Redesign or redraw in another way .

CeruleanMermaid
Regular
Organization: Oceanic Eden

#30 Post by CeruleanMermaid »

broken_angel wrote:Since I was the one who made the critique, I feel obligated to throw in my two cents...
SayurisketchComparison.jpg
The one on the left is your second sketch, the one on the right is a high-level outline I made to see if I could find the proportions I thought looked "right."

As you can see, I made the head bigger, the neck wider, broadened the shoulders slightly, redid the breast of the blouse, shortened the torso slightly, shortened the arms, and made the skirt smaller. I'm not an artist, so there are probably many things that are off.

Anyway, do with it what you will. If you think she looks okay as she is now, then disregard me. :) Ultimately, it's up to the artist to decide when they're satisfied with their work, but I hope it helped at least a little to have a second perspective.
Thank you so much for the detailed critique! I see what you mean a lot clearer now, so I'm going to try again. Thanks :D
michi 18 wrote:Gonna watch this one ^^
Thanks for the interest! We'll try our best to update soon.
Daistarir wrote: Okay ... It's stll look ... Like a man (Urgh , sorry )
Balance your work . Now j, I'm good at both girl and boys . (Muahahahaha ! Finally , after a week of practicing . Now , 40 more BGs to draw . And another month of learning to digital the art xD Okay , I'm off)
I think the girl just need to ... Redesign or redraw in another way .
A man? Ouch ^^; Actually, you're not the first person to tell me that my girls look manly, so clearly I still need work in that area |D

I don't know if a complete overhaul of her design is necessary, but there definitely are parts that need to be redrawn. Thanks for the feedback!