The Edge of Magic (Modern fantasy) [Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AsagiMete
Regular

Re: The Edge of Magic (Modern fantasy BxG)

#16 Post by AsagiMete »

Two new updates today!

The first one is that we have opened up the commissions for background art!

The other is the REAL main character!
Okay, maybe he isn't the main character, but the adviser to the main character.
Name: Tomas Ithor
Element: Fire/Water/Wind/Darkness/Light
Bio: A former child prodigy who was once considered to be one of the sharpest minds of the magic world. When an experiment went wrong and took the life of his wife, Tomas fell into despair and drink. Now, he resides at Leore as one of the tenured researchers and adviser to the younger researchers. Sadly, Tomas doesn't do a lot of research or advising anymore, spending most of his time in his office drinking and reflecting on his glory days.

bunbun
Regular

#17 Post by bunbun »

hello! Just to stop by and say I'm attracted to your game ^^
You have very pretty art and interesting world setting, yeah I'm surprised to see magic/future setting, as most magic world are in older century.
Sadly I am not interested in dating girls, but I do like Lily a lot. She makes me go awwww~

I'll be sure to check back this tread, who knows I can introduce this to my friends who are interested in BXG

ps : tomas is so hair that I feel like shaving his arms XD Interesting design though!
WIPS

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#18 Post by Blane Doyle »

What's this?

Another male character in a BXG game who seems interesting and looks badassly bearded?

I like.

AsagiMete
Regular

#19 Post by AsagiMete »

bunbun wrote:hello! Just to stop by and say I'm attracted to your game ^^
You have very pretty art and interesting world setting, yeah I'm surprised to see magic/future setting, as most magic world are in older century.
I found it really strange that so few people moved into that setting. Why does fantasy always have to be the same dark middle-ages setting? My fantasies certainly don't involve any short, fat dwarfs with bad hygiene. >.>;
Blane Doyle wrote:What's this?

Another male character in a BXG game who seems interesting and looks badassly bearded?

I like.
The world isn't populated with just sparkling clean-cut bishies. I love adding characters who aren't quite the stereotypical types. And I wasn't reading The Hunger Games recently and decided I wanted my own Haymitch. :oops:

Oh, updates about the background artists! While I found zero artists in 24 hours, my sensei rounded up 30 potential background artists, proving that I still have much to learn from him. :oops: We're going through the list now (hope to be done by tomorrow), so if anyone wants to apply, now would be the time!

Incognito
Regular
Projects: System of Paradise
Organization: Team Chimera

#20 Post by Incognito »

This is interesting.

I like the characters and there's a lot of variety in the clothing.

Lunin looks like a strong male lead from the images shown and my favorite female is Winter, she has sort of banana hair Panty "from Panty and Stocking".
The setting has potential, I'll have to see more backgrounds before i can say it clicks.

AsagiMete
Regular

#21 Post by AsagiMete »

Incognito wrote:This is interesting.

I like the characters and there's a lot of variety in the clothing.

Lunin looks like a strong male lead from the images shown and my favorite female is Winter, she has sort of banana hair Panty "from Panty and Stocking".
The setting has potential, I'll have to see more backgrounds before i can say it clicks.
Thank you so super much for your support! ^.^

I think the hair might be the only part of Panty she's like. Winter is the wisest, if a bit hot-headed and rebellious, of the cast. I picture her more as Misato Katsuragi than Panty. ^_^

We've found our background artist! Forward, ho! Soon we will be on CG artists, then proofreaders, then completion! I'm totally going to be ready by March!!!

AsagiMete
Regular

#22 Post by AsagiMete »

Doing a bunch of coding (sprite positions and the like) tonight, that way I don't get swamped at the end. Things are moving right along! I was thinking about doing a demo soon, but my sensei told me that was a really bad idea and I should just focus on the final product. I think he's jaded, he thinks I'm hasty. What's every think about demos that show the first part of the story?

I'm almost out of characters to show. XD Here's one of the many robed servants who do all the menial tasks at Leore. Who are they and what's their goal...?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#23 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

AsagiMete wrote:What's every think about demos that show the first part of the story?
That depends what the purpose of the demo is. For instance early demos can be good if you are looking for feedback so you can catch problems early on and fix them. If you are just looking for people to compliment you then it probably isn't a good idea since they will most likely point out problems and that can give your moral a heavy blow and make it harder to complete the game or make you start second guessing everything you do. It's also a bad idea if your opening isn't REALLY strong since it can actually turn people off from the final game if the opening is too slow, nothing much happens or the characters aren't given time to shine. Sometimes a different type of demo would suit. For instance we wanted to show off the assets in game as well as properly demonstrate the character's personalities in a way we couldn't in just descriptions. So we made a separate early demo, even with a different main character, because we didn't want to spoil the actual game. It was good feedback for us as we included a survey for people to fill out and since it was technically our first release, we learnt from the experience. We will release a proper demo once the game is ready.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Blane Doyle »

Art: Oh, I wonder who THIS could be... hmn... I like a little mystery!

Demo: I think Auro hit the nail on the head from a creator's perspective. I'm for it, but I think it would be good to keep these points in check.

AsagiMete
Regular

#25 Post by AsagiMete »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:
AsagiMete wrote:What's every think about demos that show the first part of the story?
That depends what the purpose of the demo is. For instance early demos can be good if you are looking for feedback so you can catch problems early on and fix them. If you are just looking for people to compliment you then it probably isn't a good idea since they will most likely point out problems and that can give your moral a heavy blow and make it harder to complete the game or make you start second guessing everything you do. It's also a bad idea if your opening isn't REALLY strong since it can actually turn people off from the final game if the opening is too slow, nothing much happens or the characters aren't given time to shine. Sometimes a different type of demo would suit. For instance we wanted to show off the assets in game as well as properly demonstrate the character's personalities in a way we couldn't in just descriptions. So we made a separate early demo, even with a different main character, because we didn't want to spoil the actual game. It was good feedback for us as we included a survey for people to fill out and since it was technically our first release, we learnt from the experience. We will release a proper demo once the game is ready.
That's almost word-for-word what sensei said. Since you don't sound as bitter old codger like him (yes, I know you read this, you curmudgeon.), I guess I should listen. I'm thinking I should just have a couple people proofread it and demo it that way to find those glaring mistakes and opinions I'm looking for.
Blane Doyle wrote:Art: Oh, I wonder who THIS could be... hmn... I like a little mystery!
Bonus cookies if you could! It's not revealed who he/she/it/flying spaghetti monster is until the final route, the one that opens when all stories are completed.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#26 Post by Omnificent »

I'm really liking the sprite art for this (a rarity where both the male and female art looks equally appealing and expressive) and the concept sounds interesting (though the outfits give me more of the impression of 'futuristic + space combat' than 'magic and alternate reality WWII'). I'll have more input once there's a demo, though!
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

AsagiMete
Regular

#27 Post by AsagiMete »

Omnificent wrote:I'm really liking the sprite art for this (a rarity where both the male and female art looks equally appealing and expressive) and the concept sounds interesting (though the outfits give me more of the impression of 'futuristic + space combat' than 'magic and alternate reality WWII'). I'll have more input once there's a demo, though!
I'd be pretty boring if only one gender was interesting. Gotta have a couple hot and interesting guys as well! ^.^ The casual outfits are a lot more 50s-60s, though I can easily see the spaciness of them. The game is pretty liberal on sticking to historical accuracy.

I think I am going to keep the demo limited to a couple people to help test and proofread. I know that's probably disappointing, but... v.v

To make up for it, here's the last character of the game. Sgt. Jill Venequez is one of the members of the League of Nations security detachment. Jill doesn't have a romance route (she's happily married and isn't interested in Lunin)

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Blane Doyle »

OK, I adore the basic design of her outfit! So simple and yet so recognizable as someone who is very much in charge. I also love the idea of a married female character in a game like this.

But I have to ask, aside from Rule of Cool/Sexy, why is the midsection of her outfit... well, not there? I can understand the other outfits showing some cleavage (as they are not on the front lines), but this character is clearly a fighter. It seems rather impractical to bare her mid-drift in a sword fight.

Cool looking, yes, but impractical.

AsagiMete
Regular

#29 Post by AsagiMete »

Blane Doyle wrote:OK, I adore the basic design of her outfit! So simple and yet so recognizable as someone who is very much in charge. I also love the idea of a married female character in a game like this.

But I have to ask, aside from Rule of Cool/Sexy, why is the midsection of her outfit... well, not there? I can understand the other outfits showing some cleavage (as they are not on the front lines), but this character is clearly a fighter. It seems rather impractical to bare her mid-drift in a sword fight.

Cool looking, yes, but impractical.
That's a mixed bag of nuts there. From my personal sword-fighting experience, armor is nice and mid-rifts are easy targets. If you were ever going to go into battle, wear something that ACTUALLY protects you! Hot weather is a factor here, but... That being said, Jill was a special request character to be included. I personally would have given her something more practical, but I also didn't want to mod the character. So... It's that way because it is sexy, cool, and Asagi didn't feel like arguing with somebody over a very minor character. At least I got rid of the poofy short pants!

AsagiMete
Regular

#30 Post by AsagiMete »

The first official background for The Edge of Magic is done! Yaaaaaaaaaaay! I had to turn it into a wallpaper! <3
TeaHouse.jpg
Oh, I'm starting my hunt for someone to help with the GUI (textbox in particular). Is there anyone willing to help poor Asagi?