Bronze - A retelling of Beauty and the Beast

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

Bronze - A retelling of Beauty and the Beast

#1 Post by jghibiki »

Announcing the recreation of the amazing Interactive fiction Bronze written by Emily Short

I have contacted the author and have received permission to recreate the story of Bronze as a Visual Novel instead of a text based game, adding (hopefully -> may need to look into commissioning and artist and/or composer, hmmm) a graphic approach to this wonderfully adapted storyline.

In this game you play as Bell, wandering throughout the Beast's Castle(consisting of 55 unique rooms and several puzzles) and "recounting" past memories of your time in the Beasts castle. Here is an explanation of the game as written by it's author:
When the seventh day comes and it is time for you to return to the castle in the forest, your sisters cling to your sleeves.

'Don't go back,' they say, and 'When will we ever see you again?' But you imagine they will find consolation somewhere.

Your father hangs back, silent and moody. He has spent the week as far from you as possible, working until late at night. Now he speaks only to ask whether the Beast treated you 'properly.' Since he obviously has his own ideas about what must have taken place over the past few years, you do not reply beyond a shrug.

You breathe more easily once you're back in the forest, alone.

Bronze is a puzzle-oriented adaptation of Beauty and the Beast with an expansive geography for the inveterate explorer.
Stay tuned, more soon to follow!

Anomandaris
Regular

Re: Bronze - A retelling of Beauty and the Beast

#2 Post by Anomandaris »

Just wondering how progress on this is going. I've played the original in IF form, which was amazing, and I'm curious as to how you'll adapt it to VN form (since a lot of the puzzles depend on figuring out the right commands to type or things to examine/look up). At any rate, I'm excited to see graphics for the story, and hope that you're still working on the project!

jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

Re: Bronze - A retelling of Beauty and the Beast

#3 Post by jghibiki »

Anomandaris wrote:Just wondering how progress on this is going. I've played the original in IF form, which was amazing, and I'm curious as to how you'll adapt it to VN form (since a lot of the puzzles depend on figuring out the right commands to type or things to examine/look up). At any rate, I'm excited to see graphics for the story, and hope that you're still working on the project!
yes I am just very slowly, there are something like 55 scenes in the original so it will take time to not only get art for them but code them as well. Instead of the typing commands I'm making it so that based on an action you choose different options in menus will appear,
e.g.
look
"You see blah, blah, and blah."
look
at what?
-blah1
-blah2
-blah3
ect.