Actual Sunlight [Psych] [Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Actual Sunlight [Psych] [Drama]

#16 Post by gekiganwing »

NeonCowboy wrote:...Actual Sunlight managed to get a great one at Kotaku...
Just getting your freeware product noticed by a website that focuses on commercial games is an achievement. Well done.

An embarrassing aside: I didn't know your game/VN was discussed on Kotaku because I don't often read the site... If I'm looking for video game news, I usually go to IGN, Gamertell, RPGamer, and Siliconera.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#17 Post by Obscura »

Hey there!

I just had to take a look at this because it's the kind of interactive story I've been hoping to see one day. It's EXACTLY the kind of experience I've been wishing that VNs would take in the West. Thank you so much for making this.

I don't think I need to tell you your writing abilities are several cuts above the usual fare.

Just absolutely minor notes as I play through:

- Even though it only lasts for a bit, I really, really do NOT like that I had to wait for the text to roll out in the beginning of your story. Having to click through and have the sentences appear all at once are fine, but I have terrible associations with games that make you sit through scrolling text (which lack a menu option to change it--not sure if there was one, but I couldn't find it). I feel like I'm being forced to read at the creator's pace, and I tend to read extremely quickly.
- The font! Please change it to perhaps something sans-y? The font is very difficult to read on my screen.

I'll have additional notes for you once I play through but I just wanted to get this in before I forgot. I'll most likely be contributing to your campaign as well before the month's end.

(I really wish Canadians were able to get on Kickstarter--you deserve a lot more exposure for this project.)

Again, thank you for making a game like this--with such a stark but relatable premise. It's something that absolutely needed to be made.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

NeonCowboy
Projects: Actual Sunlight

#18 Post by NeonCowboy »

gekiganwing wrote:
NeonCowboy wrote:...Actual Sunlight managed to get a great one at Kotaku...
Just getting your freeware product noticed by a website that focuses on commercial games is an achievement. Well done.

An embarrassing aside: I didn't know your game/VN was discussed on Kotaku because I don't often read the site... If I'm looking for video game news, I usually go to IGN, Gamertell, RPGamer, and Siliconera.
Thank you! I really appreciate it.

And you've mentioned a few outlets there who I haven't yet pitched the game to - I will definitely do so.
ACTUAL SUNLIGHT: A story about love, depression and the corporation - DEVELOPMENT THREAD

NeonCowboy

#19 Post by NeonCowboy »

Obscura wrote:Hey there!
I just had to take a look at this because it's the kind of interactive story I've been hoping to see one day. It's EXACTLY the kind of experience I've been wishing that VNs would take in the West. Thank you so much for making this.

Thank you for playing!
Obscura wrote: I don't think I need to tell you your writing abilities are several cuts above the usual fare.
I gave it my all. Day to day, I can be as lazy and as terrible a writer as anyone. The only thing I did on this project was be extra hard on myself - I think most people would be surprised how good they can be if they are really honest with themselves about what is working and what isn't.
Obscura wrote: - Even though it only lasts for a bit, I really, really do NOT like that I had to wait for the text to roll out in the beginning of your story. Having to click through and have the sentences appear all at once are fine, but I have terrible associations with games that make you sit through scrolling text (which lack a menu option to change it--not sure if there was one, but I couldn't find it). I feel like I'm being forced to read at the creator's pace, and I tend to read extremely quickly.

- The font! Please change it to perhaps something sans-y? The font is very difficult to read on my screen.
These are both good suggestions, and I'll look into implementing them. I think the first thing you suggest is definitely achievable through scripting, and could even be toggled as you propose...

As for the font, I'm somewhat married to the typewriter-ism of the Times New Roman as it stands currently, but I hate to sacrifice function for form. I think I could probably set up a toggle to switch fonts, but the problem would then become one of font size and line breaks, and... Actually, I'll leave it at that. Suffice to say that RPG Maker VX Ace was *not* intended to handle copious amounts of text the way that Ren'Py is.
Obscura wrote: I'll have additional notes for you once I play through but I just wanted to get this in before I forgot. I'll most likely be contributing to your campaign as well before the month's end.
Thank you! I look forward to getting any more feedback that you have, and hope that you'll be able to contribute as well.
Obscura wrote: (I really wish Canadians were able to get on Kickstarter--you deserve a lot more exposure for this project.)
Thank you! I'm grateful for whatever attention it receives, but you're right - nothing compares to Kickstarter. When it opens up in Canada, the migration to it from other crowdfunding sites is going to be absolute madness.
ACTUAL SUNLIGHT: A story about love, depression and the corporation - DEVELOPMENT THREAD

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by gekiganwing »

Saw more positive press about Actual Sunlight on Indie Games Festival. And yes, the article mentions the Indiegogo campaign.

NeonCowboy

#21 Post by NeonCowboy »

Just wanted to give everybody a quick update on the game, and an additional ask for your support.

The game made its IndieGoGo goal, which is awesome - I know that several people here on the forum contributed, and I appreciate it immensely.

Now that the goal has been reached, and production on new art and music is underway, I've launched the game on Steam Greenlight.

If you played Actual Sunlight and thought it was an experience that should be shared with others, I hope you'll take the time to consider giving it an upvote on Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =132375295

I think it would be a real victory for interactive fiction of all stripes if the game could actually make it onto Steam, or at least make a respectable run of it, and I hope you'll consider giving it a shot. I know I'm no Christine Love, but it's a very different kind of story, and I really did give it my all.

Thank you! And obviously, I continue to be happy to answer any questions about the game you might have.