Essence [post-apocalyptic GxB] [scifi/dramedy] DEMO UP!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ApocalypticHippie
Tumblr: steampunkpopshop
Deviantart: emiops

Re: Essence [post-apocalyptic GxB] [scifi/dramedy] DEMO UP!

#106 Post by ApocalypticHippie »

Guess who got an account. :) Maybe this will motivate me to actually work on a game. Anyways, I love your characters and story like my own children and I can't wait to see it finished!

ApocalypticHippie
Tumblr: steampunkpopshop
Deviantart: emiops

#107 Post by ApocalypticHippie »

[Verse 1:]
I'm like, "Hey, what's up? Hello."
Seen your pretty ass soon as you came in the door
I just wanna chill, got a sack for us to roll
Married to the money, introduced her to my stove
Showed her how to whip it, now she remixin' for low
She my trap queen, let her hit the bando
We be countin' up, watch how far them bands go
We just set a goal, talkin' matchin' Lambos
Got 50, 60 grand, prob' a hundred grams though
Man, I swear I love her how she work the damn pole
Hit the strip club, we be letting bands go
Everybody hating, we just call them fans though
In love with the money, I ain't ever letting go

[Hook:]
And I get high with my baby
I just left the mall, I'm getting fly with my baby, yeah
And I can ride with my baby
I be in the kitchen cooking pies with my baby, yeah
I just left the mall, I'm getting fly with my baby, yeah
I be in the kitchen cooking pies with my baby

(I'm like, "Hey, what's up? Hello.")

[Verse 2:]
I hit the strip with my trap queen 'cause all we know is bands
I just might snatch a 'Rari and buy my boo a Lamb'
I just might snatch her a necklace, drop a couple on a ring
She ain't wanting for nothin' because I got her everything
It's big Zoo Wap from the bando, without dinero can't go
Remy boys got the stamp, count up hella them bands though
How far can your bands go?
Fetty Wap I'm living fifty thousand K how I stand though
If you checking for my pockets I'm like

[Hook]

[Verse 1]

I be smoking dope and you know Backwoods what I roll
Remy Boy, Fetty eating shit up that's fasho
I'll run in ya house, then I'll fuck your hoe
'Cause Remy Boyz or nothing, Re-Re-Remy Boyz or nothing

[Outro:]
Yeah, you hear my boy
Sounding like a zillion bucks on a track
I got whatever on my boy, whatever
Put your money where your mouth is
Money on the wood make the game go good
Money outta sight cause fights
Put up or shut up
Uh, Nittdagrit
RGF productions
S-quaw

So in conclusion, I need this game in my life. Thank this for your time.

Limabaen
Regular

#108 Post by Limabaen »

YES! Looking forwards to this game so much! My favourite characters are Steven and Ada.
I found Cath pretty insufferable the whole time, but I got super worried when he was injured.
Props to you for making me care about him. That's some good writing.

Kikaharu
Regular

#109 Post by Kikaharu »

I hope this is still going strong! Hehe miss your characters because I havent played the demo in quite awhile hmm maybe Ill do that sometime soon. :)

SheerGlade
Regular
Projects: Essence
Deviantart: Shinkami

#110 Post by SheerGlade »

Thank you, Limabaen and Kikaharu! The game is still going strong but (as always) slowly. School is tough TDT

Shmittens

#111 Post by Shmittens »

Hello there..
I'm very glad to see this is still alive.

I've re-played the demo and still love it x) Steven is still my favourite =P

Keep up the good work!

SwaggieFrench
Tumblr: oh-jeeeeeeez

#112 Post by SwaggieFrench »

I played the demo a while back, and just replayed it, and I am still COMPLETELY in love with this game! Hope you're doing well!

Bellethiel

#113 Post by Bellethiel »

Oh yeah, I would be really glad if this game was still a thing. I rememebr playing the demo waaay back and totally loving it.
All the best! (:

GingyGina

#114 Post by GingyGina »

Every once in awhile, I'll check up on this topic to see how the game's doing and this time, I couldn't help but replay the demo. I was reminded of how wonderful this game is. It's rare that I find a story as compelling as Essence's, as every time I finished a new scene, I was left questioning the truth behind Alice and what the characters were hiding from her. And man, that cliffhanger ending. As it happened, I knew the demo was about to end and I was so goddamn frustrated that I wouldn't find out what happened next! That's how you know it's a good game :D

All in all, it was such a wonderful experience to reimmerse myself in the world you've built. The story was fab, the art was fab, the music was GORGEOUS. I couldn't believe it when I read you had worked on the game by yourself as everything looks so gosh darn professional.

So yeah. I just wanted to come here and tell you how much I appreciate Essence and if you're still working on it, I wish you the best of luck. If not, I'm simply happy to have this demo and wish you well on your future endeavours. <3

SheerGlade
Regular
Projects: Essence
Deviantart: Shinkami

#115 Post by SheerGlade »

...As is tradition, I take several days to reply.

I was actually so touched to receive a comment on the demo after all this time. The timing is pretty remarkable to me as, after having to set Essence aside for a long time, I have finally started working on it again the past couple months.

@GingyGina, your comment that you are simply happy to have the demo...honestly means more to me than you know. It makes me cringe into the stratosphere to play the demo now after so many years, but I am so happy that people enjoy something I worked on and put so much of myself into.

I am hesitant to promise anything because it has taken a whole lot of internal warfare just to let myself start working again, but I will update the thread when I feel I have the progress to show for it. Thank you so much to everyone who enjoyed and played Essence; I feel sincerely fulfilled to have been able to immerse myself in it again.

fskfx

#116 Post by fskfx »

...This is so trippy. Literally last week this game popped up in my head, and I was trying for the life of me to remember the name so I could play the demo again. And here it is.

I truly, truly fell in love with it.

I actually posted four years ago! I made some fan art (thank god the image hosting server died, it was awful lmao) because I adored it so much. Seeing this post is what made me spend the last thirty minutes trying to remember the login details to my account just so I could tell you:

This game is really special. I could put more words to that, and I have endless praises that I could sing, but just really - it’s special.

Even if you don’t take it up again, as I know how much we change and our interests change in a few years, and maybe it’s just something left as a good memory, and it absolutely can be just that for what it is (and understandably so, I hope you never feel as if you have to pick it up for any reason than you want) - I just wanted to thank you for the little treasure that is the demo.

It really is one of the visual novels that inspired towards the path of creating my own works, and will always hold a little place in my heart.

Haha, I hope that doesn’t come off as weird, I just wanted to say thank you again for sharing with us a little fragment of your imagination. Your brain is lovely.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#117 Post by Zelan »

I wasn't around on the forums when this game was first introduced, so I hadn't seen anything about it before GingyGina's post. The introduction post looks cool, like something that I would play, but not necessarily like something I would get big time excited about.

The posts people are making about this game 6 years later are forcing me to reconsider that. For them to remember and care about your game for that long, it must be something special, and I look forward to getting the chance to play it myself when I'm able. ^_^

Good luck with this - I know how hard it is to come back to something you haven't worked on for a while, but we believe in you and your project.

Kikaharu
Regular

#118 Post by Kikaharu »

I really hope this game will be completed one day. I have thought about it at times and time passed. Then the past few days I had it stuck in my head but I couldn't remember the name but I was like I swear I followed them on dA and I found you and the game and this post. I posted on your dA page but I also wanted to post on here. Even though its been years since the demo came out. I feel like it probably has a place in many people's hearts even after so long. I know this game has a place in my heart that never has gone away. I know life throws a lot of things at us. But I really do hope I'll see this game completed in the future. I feel like the characters have a really good story that needs to be told.

As it has been years your writing might of changed. Your characters might of changed or you feel like they need to be changed. I say do what your heart says if the characters and story needs to be changed then do it. But also know that nothing is perfect. Everything has flaws and even games/stories/characters have flaws and those flaws along with their strengths and more is what makes a wonderful story. So if you finish it and still feel off about it maybe get it out there and ask what seems off. sometimes you need another's perspective to look at what needs edits. You can always update the game when there is a revision.