Essence [post-apocalyptic GxB] [scifi/dramedy] DEMO UP!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SheerGlade
Regular
Projects: Essence
Deviantart: Shinkami

Essence [post-apocalyptic GxB] [scifi/dramedy] DEMO UP!

#1 Post by SheerGlade »

December 23, 2013: Demo up.
DIRECT DOWNLOAD FROM DROPBOX:
Demo for Windows
Demo for Mac

MEDIAFIRE DOWNLOAD:
Demo for Windows
Demo for Mac

(Mac users may need to follow these instructions if prevented from running the game)
Please let me know if you encounter any problems with downloading/playing.

ANY AND ALL CRITIQUE RABIDLY DESIRED...RABIDLY. If you don't want to make an account, you can also email me feedback at essenceotome@gmail.com. The final game will be a long time in the making, and I want it to be as good as it possible, so criticism on ANY AND ALL aspects of the game is SO appreciated. Don't hold back.

As for a specific aspect, however, I would like to know what you think of Alice's narrative. Do you like, dislike, or feel indifferent toward her character? Do you enjoy reading from her perspective, and do you think you could continue to enjoy it for the duration of a long game (50,000+ words per path)?
I know several otome protagonists take a backseat to the bachelors (often so the player can project themselves onto the protag) but I do not want this for Alice. I want her narrative to be distinct; this is her story.

If any come to mind, please share elements you think need improvement or features you think could benefit a lengthy, minigame-free VN like this.

DEMO FEATURES:
The first 4 days of the protagonist's existence
Choices
The occasional scantily-clad male
7 eligible bachelors
~60,000 words (2-3 hours playtime)
Unlockable CG Gallery (10+ CGs)

"What's the point anymore?

There was darkness in the abyss of my slumber, bloodied with thoughts and memories of slaughter.

There was darkness in the laboratory, strewn with corpses I recalled living and men who wanted to take me away.
And there is darkness here in the light, nothing but shallow promises in the last chance I had.

There is only, only ever was, darkness. Where is the light?"
STORY
In a time where technology is so advanced that the human soul can be transferred into a robotic body, flesh is outdated. Essence integration - a name devised by the process's creator, Nathan Bayard - revolutionized the world's view of human life. Although a privilege mainly to the wealthy, the vessels of metal and plastic assured freedom from illness and aging while still allowing the human pleasures of eating, sleeping, and bathing. Not only was the invention groundbreaking, Bayard's essence androids promised to be a milestone in the history of mankind, a testament to man's longevity and will not just to survive, but improve...

...until life itself was neatly swept away by something as small as a virus produced by the hands of one man.

Nine months after the first strain of Blight, Alice wakes in a dilapidated laboratory, remembering naught but blood and the world before the virus. Inhabiting a robotic body, she resolves to atone for her memories of murder and restore the green earth she remembers, with only the sullen, tight-pantsed Cath serving as her guide.

WARNING: While synopsis sounds depressing, story may or may not contain lame attempts at humor, excessive lack of clothing, and sporadic episodes of disregard for the fourth wall. There are serious moments, but it does not take itself TOO seriously, so it may differ from typical post-apocalyptic stories in that respect. You've been forewarned. XD

CHARACTERS

The protagonist and hero of our dystopian adventure. They don't like each other very much, despite possessing equally gratuitous ahoges.

A group of Blight survivors who initiate contact with Cath and Alice amidst their travels. From left to right we have Mak the botanist, Daemon the plant-human hybrid, Acer the weeaboo/hacker, Steven the escaped invisible experiment, and Ada the pulmonologist. Leading them is Linus (in back), an engineer and biochemist. Together, they search for a cure for the virus.

A trio of criminals employed by Malware, a syndicate of technology thieves. Putrice, Ivan, and Grime (from left to right) have been tasked with kidnapping Alice so as to examine her valuable hardware, but can never seem to succeed. While they are inept AND fashionable, they are NOT Team Rocket in disguise.

FINISHED PRODUCT IS PLANNED TO FEATURE:

9 character routes
At least 15+ hours playtime (including all routes)
At least 2 endings per path, if not 3
Multiple CGs
My grungy, spiral-filled, big-haired attempts at art

SCREENSHOTS
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p78 ... 3876b3.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p78 ... 77f6b5.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p78 ... 4e783a.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p78 ... c9295b.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p78 ... 4f217a.jpg

CREATOR'S NOTES
I love working on this project. If you enjoy it even in the slightest, then that means buckets of emotion to me. For real. :')

You can follow more frequent updates/read more detailed character descriptions at http://www.shinkami.deviantart.com
I appreciate every comment/critique!
Last edited by SheerGlade on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 am, edited 9 times in total.

Aines445
Regular

Re: Essence [post-apocalyptic GxB] [scifi/romance/adv./myste

#2 Post by Aines445 »

I'm normally not that much into those themes, but this seems pretty cool! The art's good, and the story seems really good (I mean like, I could imagine a lot with that, real good!^-^) and also I'm glad you promised it wouldn't be all gloomy, it would kinda be bad for me....NOT THAT OTHERS WOULDNT LIKE THAT THATS JUST MY PERSONNAL PREFERENCE!! (I like comedy and all)

I hope you finish this, looks pretty nice! ^-^

Nym

#3 Post by Nym »

Hohoho, I love robots. This is going to be fun. Cath will be mine~
I will admit though, seeing Essence's cleavage...hohohoho. However, it is a robotic body, so I guess boobs can look however they want. XD
Loving the designs, and I hope to see this through. If you need help PRing or editing, I am around! Shoot me a PM.

Mimi_Melody
Veteran

#4 Post by Mimi_Melody »

Oh, you're doing this alone? So this means the art and storyline is done by you? It's amazing, really. The art is good. I like the blondie :D Ivan~ (Well I don't think he reeks of manliness that much XD) Good job and good luck with the game! <3

Veniae
Veteran

#5 Post by Veniae »

Whoa, was looking forward to seeing this announced on Lemma! (Already stumbled upon it on dA.) And I must say, I'm loving what I see so far. The plot sounds really, really good, the art is adorable and full of personality (and colour) and just... I want to play this. So much. I like serious themes sprinkled with humour and a fair amount of geekery.

So, the best of luck! I count on seeing this happen.

By the way, do you have any ideas for what the GUI should look like?

SheerGlade
Regular

#6 Post by SheerGlade »

@Aines445: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, even if the story's outside your tastes. I definitely understand where you're coming from, though. Gloom and doom is a little hard to swallow, especially in large gulps. There's dark moments, but the story's really not too heavy. :)

@Nym: Hehehe, I have to admit, Cath is probably my personal favorite, too. XD And as for Alice's...*ahem*...assets...you dunno how many comments I've gotten on those things. XD They never really bothered me, but it is a bit awkward, what with them being metal and all...Also, thanks for the offer. I might have to take you up on that. ;D

@Mimi_Melody: Thanks so much; you're too kind! :D Hehehe, I'm glad you like him. But you're right, he really doesn't XD I thought it would be amusing to create a big tough guy who can just barely get by wearing girly things, like a pink shirt and hair clips. And I'm still not really sure he pulls it off.

@Veniae: Your comment made me so very very happy ;-; I'm so glad you like it; I really hope it will live up to all your expectations! I've toyed around with creating a GUI, but so far I've yet to be satisfied. I'm thinking of doing the game in wide format...(can't remember the actual dimensions...but it's that one bigger than 800x600 XD; ) with a text box that doesn't stretch the width of the screen. The text box might be transparent, purple, maybe, with a grungy texture. I'd really like it to tie into the overall feel of the game - colorful, but still reminiscent of the ruined world...

Kait
Projects: Frailty -Broken Wings-

#7 Post by Kait »

I'm not a fan of sci-fi but the plot caught my interest :) And the art is pretty unique! Good luck on your project.

Pandora
Regular

#8 Post by Pandora »

Oh cool, an otome game with a cyberpunk type plot. It sounds like it could be very interesting! I love the futuristic yet very 90's rave aesthetic, by the way. :3

SheerGlade
Regular

Re: Essence [post-apocalyptic GxB] [scifi/drama] 8-28-13 UPD

#9 Post by SheerGlade »

Wanted to bump up this post since I'm updating it after such a long time.

*flees*

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#10 Post by Googaboga »

I'm really happy to see an update. I was excited for this game when you first announced it and I could of sworn I commented but I guess I didn't D:. Anyways I love the plot concept and character designs. Also those screen shots are beautiful. Everything looks so good together.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

CSJ
Regular

#11 Post by CSJ »

Question: Is Cath an ace pilot and war veteran?

jks, he sounds more like Atton Rand from the sequel.

SheerGlade
Regular

#12 Post by SheerGlade »

@Googaboga: Thank you so much for your kind comment, and for looking out for an update! ;u; It means a lot.

@CSJ: Lol. I don't know about Carth Onasi, but for the most part, he definitely acts (and kinda looks o.o) like Atton Rand.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

Wow, your premise sounds interesting! I really love post-apocalyptic themes, will be looking forward to this~

SheerGlade
Regular

Re: Essence [post-apocalyptic GxB] [scifi/drama] 11-12-13 UP

#14 Post by SheerGlade »

Alright, I might as well go ahead and drive off a cliff if I say this and it doesn't happen, but...release is planned for mid to late December.

Also, thanks for the support, Azure :'D

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#15 Post by sake-bento »

The character designs are fascinating, and I like the story. Nice work so far! I'm moving this thread to Works in Progress, since you're clearly past the idea stage.