Animal City;//ColdStories -temp. title- [Science fiction]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ArceDeer

Animal City;//ColdStories -temp. title- [Science fiction]

#1 Post by ArceDeer »

So...Hi! this is my very first project, that comes with as much thought as possible put into it, trying to make a point about something.
(all in the field of possibility)

Also, I apologize for the content showed, if it seems vague and stupid. I'm a mere hack at this and my intent it's to at least not fail at it.
AC logo-02.png
AC logo-02.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
---
cover-01.jpg
--
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5qttnaAElt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
--
Plot summary

Three childhood friends, who entered in the same university, ZNU, known for the specially alternative ideals and teaching methods, are enjoying their now long started college life. By outside influences, they discover a computer program that can surpass any online security to obtain private files, from anywhere. But not everything works as expected, and the program goes haywire, spreading itself and giving away personal, corporate and/or vital information to anyone at random. In a despicable society where information is power, such a powerful tool could destroy economics, politics and cultures, as well as international exchange. Given this new state of the world, given this chance of world change, should they destroy the program from its roots or let it spread out? Destroy or rebuild? Silence or Noise?

This story questions the state of society and the implications of one without facades, lies and disinformation.

Characters

"Arce" - Judgemental ideal overthinker
-Gee....image here-

Animal (Because of lack of image): Deer
Major: Graphic Design

"Chucho" - Neutral, analytic mass
chuchoAsset.png
Animal (Because of lack of image): Racoon
Major: Economy

"JP" - All-in-one Enginneer/fixman
- Last time this will happen -

Animal (Because of lack of image): House cat
Major: Computer Sciences

Jin (*temp) - Kind hearted blonde
AliAbbeyAsset_02.png
Major: Pharmacy

Alina Norikova - Hacking genius, socially random
AliAbbeyAsset_01.png
Major: Computer Science

"Lupe" - Annoying neighbour
lupeAsset.png
Major: Not attending school

Sebastian Rojas "Froggy" - Party animal/musician/ironic joker
rojasAsset.png
Major: Geography

Monica Bony - Honest/aggresive straightforward girl
munica.png

Nancy Ferguson(*temp) - Kind Hearted innocent gulible bunny
nashi.png

James Cane - Tsundere muscle thing
jamesAsset.png
Major: Mechanic Engineering

Diego Arce - "Dude, what?"
diegoAsset.png
Major: Being average at school

Etc. (Some backgrounds...)
A_ROOM_MORNING.jpg
A_ROOM_SUNSET.jpg
A_STAIRS_MORNING.jpg
A_STAIRS_SUNSET.jpg
A_LIVING_MORNING.jpg
A_LIVING_SUNSET.jpg

I must be the lamest on earth, since I have yet not done the respective assets for the main characters. I knew I had to do the secondary characters first, cause they were the ones that I had the hardest time Designing.

My intention is to not have routes defined by any love interest, but instead give them via plot possibilites. Although there will be a romantic aspect to it, it will be completely optional.

Additionally, I created this thread to present this thingy and consult your opinions, and help improve the whole thing with suggestions and all, and to report progress, off course.

In case the youtube video can't be seen, since the Preview wouldn't show it to me, the link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qttnaAElt0

Again, I apologize for this. I'm not entirely sure if it's allowed for this kind off thing (furry, could be labeled?) to be here, and I appreciate all the comments and opinions given.

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by ArceDeer on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Animal City;//ColdStories -temp. title- [Science fiction

#2 Post by azureXtwilight »

Definitely looks interesting. I'll be looking forward to this. Your art is so cute! XD

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

First, welcome to the forums. A word, if I may...
Please keep in mind that your project will benefit from confidence and optimism. I admit that I'm a very self critical person, and I freely admit that I struggle with both of these qualities. So, um, do what I say and not what I do...

If you believe in your writing, art, gameplay, and so on, people will be much more likely to support you. If you have enough passion, dedication, and ability to work with others, then it's more likely that you'll finish and release your project. I am not suggesting that you should have a "come at me, bro!" attitude, or that you should consider your project to be superior to other similar works in progress. You can admit that your creative abilities are imperfect, and that you have doubts... but in the end, you will gain much more from exuding confidence and optimism.
Do you have a specific reason for making your characters people with animal-like appearances? If it's easier to draw anthropomorphic characters, that's fine. If each of them has a personality that resembles that animal, that's fine too. Let us know why you made this design choice.
ArceDeer wrote:My intention is to not have routes defined by any love interest, but instead give them via plot possibilites. Although there will be a romantic aspect to it, it will be completely optional.
That's a good idea. Perhaps one character's ultimate goal is to destroy the computer program. Maybe another wants it to flourish and then radically change modern society. If I misunderstood your intentions, let me know.

Regrettably, I haven't played a lot of general-plot-focused visual novels, so I'm not sure how many already exist in which the main character's actions and alliances can potentially change their fictional world.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#4 Post by Anna »

I was also wondering what made you choose people with animal appearances for design, since your plot seems rather normal and it doesn't get mentioned. The same way in which I wonder why some people draw characters with elf-ears without any indication why they do it, by the way.

ArceDeer

#5 Post by ArceDeer »

Do you have a specific reason for making your characters people with animal-like appearances? If it's easier to draw anthropomorphic characters, that's fine. If each of them has a personality that resembles that animal, that's fine too. Let us know why you made this design choice.
Firstly, thank you very much for the reply, and thanks for the welcome. Yes, indeed, it has a bit of both reasons. It is easier for me to draw animal people, since it's the kind of thing I've drawn the most, and I assigned the species to each according their attitudes, or how their perceived by others.
That's a good idea. Perhaps one character's ultimate goal is to destroy the computer program. Maybe another wants it to flourish and then radically change modern society. If I misunderstood your intentions, let me know.
Yeah, it is something like that. Most of the characters goal revolve around the use, misuse, or destruction of the program. Who and why, and the subplots related, is a big part of the character interaction, I plan.

And yeah, thank you for the kind encouragement words. Let's be a bit more confident from now on :P
I was also wondering what made you choose people with animal appearances for design, since your plot seems rather normal and it doesn't get mentioned. The same way in which I wonder why some people draw characters with elf-ears without any indication why they do it, by the way.
I intentionally wanted to made a plot that didn't give that much importance to them being animalistic, since it's something like an overdone cliche for the animal characters in internet fiction to always be fighting, against, or a better version of humans, or in some kind of analogy to them.

JimG
Regular

#6 Post by JimG »

I hope this goes well for you, it looks very interesting. I am a reader/player of games and VN so I may be wrong with this, but I wonder if you aren't using too many people/animals in your story. I count eleven and the number of permutations and combinations becomes very large with that number. Just a thought, it would be a shame if your story turned into a huge monster and became a burden to you to finish because of having too many threads to it.

Best Regards
Jim

ArceDeer

#7 Post by ArceDeer »

JimG wrote:I hope this goes well for you, it looks very interesting. I am a reader/player of games and VN so I may be wrong with this, but I wonder if you aren't using too many people/animals in your story. I count eleven and the number of permutations and combinations becomes very large with that number. Just a thought, it would be a shame if your story turned into a huge monster and became a burden to you to finish because of having too many threads to it.

Best Regards
Jim
Thank you for your input. Hm yes, it is certianly a thing to consider heavily. I am planning to make their development rather based on conflict, since most of the characters presented here, are suport characters. Their interactions, I hope, could be seen during the main plot, on the primary conflict.

As fast as possible, I¿ll make a demo and post it here to see what you guys think about this. My writing has yet to meet a critical review overall.

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#8 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Nice character XD I can't draw animal myself so your concept is definitely interesting
By the way, to embed video on youtube just write this tag : [youtube][/youtube]
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

ArceDeer

#9 Post by ArceDeer »

Hmm....sorry for the abscent time, I updated the thread with some of the backgrounds and one new sprite, as I continue to do more.

Most of this time has been used on writing more of the script and getting some CGs done