Puellae Nomen Inveniēs [VN][GxB][Mystery] Promo Video up!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
okiness
Regular
Projects: Puella Nomen Invenio
Organization: ONP

Puellae Nomen Inveniēs [VN][GxB][Mystery] Promo Video up!

#1 Post by okiness »

Puella Nomen Inveniēs
you will find her name

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/puell ... 994?c=home

Premise:
Estellia Vansentell is a normal girl. . .for a girl born in the eclectic society of The Lush. Bastard children, magicians, unmarried women- all find refuge and acceptance in this haven. Estellia has never known another home and wants nothing more than to find her calling in The Lush. But one day her peace is shattered when Knights from the land known as Leufallia abduct her from the only home she's ever known. And oddly enough- they claim her to be their sworn Queen and liege! But the violence and force used to 'retrieve' her makes the truth apparent. . .Estellia knows she is not meant to be in this land without magic. But when even her supposed allies are hiding a terrible truth from her, can she possibly find the truth of why she has been named 'Queen'? But more importantly. . . can she even survive?

Puella Nomen Invenies is a game about choices- an abundance of them. It is choices that mold the future for Estellia and decide what kind of person she is. Through your choices Estellia can become selfish, meek, devoted, or determined. But no matter the personality one thing remains clear. . .Estellia's only ally is herself! With endings, routes, and even romance options available for every personality and every choice making a difference, it's up to you to find out what it is Estellia needs to survive. Will it be her wisely conserved magical powers? Or will it perhaps be the heart of a man she has won over with your help? Perhaps it might even be the truth.
This game is in development with three main contributors!
CGs, Character Designs, and Sprites: okiness
Writing: okiness
Programming: okiness
Backgrounds: Meghan Penton
Music: Wyatt Peterman

This game is intensely wordy and has an abundance of CGs. This is a visual novel if you've ever seen one, and thus will be a lot of text and art. The majority of work is being done by me as a labor of intense love and inspiration from several sources! These inspirations range from Namco's Suikoden V, Black Butler, Madoka Magica, and even Hanako Games' recent release, Long Live the Queen! After a year of story refining and intense plotting, it's finally in a more advanced stage and will be released by the end of the year at the latest! If you're looking for a dramatic, tense, plot-driven otome game with more than meets the eye. . .look no further, and solve the mystery!

The Cast:

Estellia Vansentell

Bastard child of Lyndella Vansentell and magical apprentice, Estellia's well loved and happily adjusted to life in the Lush. It's the events that follow her kidnapping which change her and decide who she'll become in the end. But at the core of it all, Estellia's main goals were to find her place in the world and make her mother proud. Can she still do this while being what seems only to be a Puppet Queen?
concept art:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/ ... 4ln41e.jpg

Luzehl Renstreth aka Sir Renstreth
Motivations: Luzehl is fiercely loyal to his duty, to the extent it is suspicious. He is the one sent to retrieve Estellia, his personal charge. He confronts her immediately if she does not accept her responsibility, and is for some reason fiercely determined to make Estellia a successful Queen.

Reylina Tahlae aka Lady Tahlae aka Her Ladyship the Patron of Love
Occupation: Lady of Norshrein, largest township in the kingdom.
Motivations: Reylina is the thrice betrothed of the last three Regent-King's, and brother of the forsaken Lord Tahlae who is rumored to have caused the death of her first husband-to-be. It is not known whether she is truly evil and meant for her husband's to have died, or if she truly mourns them (or just the opportunity to be queen). Though some would call her ominous status of thrice betrothed a curse, after her brother was mysteriously proven guilty for the murders of her betrothed ones, she was instead crowned as a Lady of love with a beauty only death could defeat. But her intentions? That's anyone's guess.

Lyle Tahlae aka Ex-Lord of Norshrein
Occupation: As far as anyone knows, cowering away in a corner like a dog.
Motivations: Lyle is the sweet talking Duke Honorum of Leufallia, with more rights than any other noble and with the first rights to court a Queen. . .or he was, until three months prior to Estellia's reign he was found guilty of treason. But Lyle's not a quitter, and has an active role in the rebellion and intends to ignite a civil war in order to regain his power.

Markus Lellend
Occupation: Leader of the merchant's guild based in Leufallia's capitol
Motivations: Markus is a powerful and rich man with a kind heart and many women vying for his attention. However, Markus seems to have a hidden agenda that goes beyond what anyone would suspect of the young gentleman of humble beginnings. . .

Kheless Elehk aka his Supreme Knightship Kheless
Motivations: Above all else, Kheless seems to love Leufallia and wish only for it's future. However, does that mean he truly cares for it's Queen, or that he only wishes to force her to remain in the country to prevent a civil war?

Tarov Shanova
Motivations: Lord of a landship in the land of Krofen, Tarov is a political prisoner of the kingdom of Leufallia. But Tarov intends to free himself from his prison by killing the last monarch of the Golden dynasty- . .until he sets eyes on her, that is.

Luluna Mikov
Motivations: Luluna was one of the young women selected from a young age to become a hand maiden, and has been trained and watched over staunchly to ensure she is not corrupted or fed falsehoods. She is the closest thing to a friend for Estellia, but can she even be trusted given the twisted raising into her position?

Name: Eryss
Motivations: Eryss seems to only want to find magic users who are his equal- but there are truths not even this prodigy can find.

Featuring:

Beautifully colored CG backgrounds by Meg Penton, samecity of tumblr!
An original score, handmade for the game!
And over 100 menu options that alter the game, your endings, and dialogue!

The prologue is completed, and before long there should be a demo up for all of you. I have a ton more stuff to post, but I don't want to blow all my content for you guys just yet! :) I'm excited for this project and hope the premise sounds interesting to you! I'm hoping to update this as I go, get feedback, promote interest, and stay motivated knowing other people see my progress!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/puell ... /x/2420994
http://youtu.be/8qi7W_j067Q
Last edited by okiness on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

erinism
Regular

Re: Puella Nomen Inveniēs [VN][GxB][Mystery]

#2 Post by erinism »

Oh my god. Dat background. And I love the smoothness of the character sprites.

This sounds really awesome - I love games that have a lot of choices (and a lot of CG's >___<).

Can't wait!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Being able to shape or roleplay the main character's personality could be a good idea.

I played Suikoden 5 for quite a few hours around 2006-07 and mostly enjoyed it. The game plot was slightly similar to what you've described, with warring factions trying to rule a nation, and a princess who seems disinterested. After unearthing my game disc recently, I was reminded that its pacing is quite slow. (Also, one small correction: it's a Konami game.)

okiness
Regular

#4 Post by okiness »

I blame Konami not releasing the new Suikoden yet! That's why, lol. But if you play Suikoden V further Lymsleiea isn't disinterested, and she knows she has to be Queen, whereas in this game the main character is basically - what the crap? I don't even know which fork to pick up right now? Thank you for your interest! <3!

Actually erinism, those aren't the sprites! I want those to be an additional thing in the future, so instead these are promo pictures of each character. Thanks so much for your interest, and let me tell you there are so many CGs in this game it's like. . .freakin crazy!

Veniae
Veteran

#5 Post by Veniae »

Man, that looks freaking brilliant! I can't wait to see more assets/the demo. I suppose the whole game is going to be commercial, though? It looks long and complicated enough to be. :D In any case, the best of luck! <3 I'll be keeping an eye on this~

DreamDragonHatchling
Regular

#6 Post by DreamDragonHatchling »

I like if I am given many/many choices that make up my character the way i want her to be :3

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by 15385bic »

omg - that bg ditto!
i like wordy and cg intensive vns XD - good luck

kkisaragi

#8 Post by kkisaragi »

This is amazing! *O* As the people above me said I really like how there will be lots of choices that will shape the MC. And the art is gorgeous!

The title sounds rather interesting as well. But I think for the Latin "puella" should be either "puellarum" ("the girl's") or "eam" ("her")? I'm not sure if "Puellarum/Eam Nomen Invenies" sounds as nice as "Puella Nomen Invenies" though so I would understand if you didn't fix it.

Good luck on this project! I'll be watching for further updates~

okiness
Regular

#9 Post by okiness »

I'm glad you guys are excited about the personality system! Let me go ahead and tell you that it will have four personalities, with a selfish evil personality actually serving as a sort of 'hard mode' for the game to unlock secret CGs. Estellia's going through a lot of hard things in her life- it's up to you to decide who she becomes, decisions and personality included!

kkisaragi: Thanks so much! I have actually changed the name several times and I don't mind the idea- I sent a few ideas to my latin teacher from High School but even now I'm only good at verbs and bland sentences, so I appreciate any latin help! Sides, Puellarum sounds cool! I'll think on it and decide as I go ;)

Another fun fact, Estellia has five total outfit changes in the game. I guess I just like wardrobes? Lol!

kkisaragi

#10 Post by kkisaragi »

I'm happy to be of service! I've only taken two years of Latin so far so I couldn't help you with anything complex, but I'm pretty sure puellarum is right, haha.

Ooh, an evil Estellia? That sounds like it'll be a fun path to play (aside from the difficulty, that is-- I stink at playing things that are even remotely hard /fail)! Darker paths are always interesting since they're different from the norm. I'm curious as to what other personalities you have planned~

Also, what with all these CGs and the five outfits it looks like you've got lots of work ahead of you! I love it when characters change clothes in game but it sounds like it's going to be time-consuming to draw out. Are you planning on having the other characters switch outfits as well?

okiness
Regular

#11 Post by okiness »

kkisaragi wrote:I'm happy to be of service! I've only taken two years of Latin so far so I couldn't help you with anything complex, but I'm pretty sure puellarum is right, haha.

Ooh, an evil Estellia? That sounds like it'll be a fun path to play (aside from the difficulty, that is-- I stink at playing things that are even remotely hard /fail)! Darker paths are always interesting since they're different from the norm. I'm curious as to what other personalities you have planned~

Also, what with all these CGs and the five outfits it looks like you've got lots of work ahead of you! I love it when characters change clothes in game but it sounds like it's going to be time-consuming to draw out. Are you planning on having the other characters switch outfits as well?
This game is largely a labor of extreme love. I am doing a lot of things that are time consuming because I know I can get it done, and put the love it needs to it. Other character's though? Some will, some won't. I'm sure Markus will have at least 2 outfits, probably 3. Luzehl? I think he will only have an alternate outfit in a special ending. Estellia's the real pain in the butt though, her first outfit exists only for the prologue, her second for about 20 minutes of story. Here is her first outfit (along with some very early work, and a shot of Eryss' design) in a very early screenshot:

I took about two years, but that was well over 5 years ago so I'm a bit rusty! Haha

Mainly, I have four. . .and those four have branches in game. Basically, once you're mostly meek, you can also stand up for yourself in a crisis. And once you're selfish, you can also show kindness to a few people. Personalities are a big part of the game, but it all comes down to what you want to be.

Anomandaris
Regular

#12 Post by Anomandaris »

Puellarum is plural, puellae singular (name of the girl is what I assume you're going for). (Source: I've taken Latin classes and read texts on occasion.)

This VN sounds amazing! I really enjoy being able to choose personality type freely, and the hundred-plus menu options you've mentioned with actual impacts on the storyline definitely have me drooling a little. I also like the fact that the protagonist's success depends on her own skill and actions, rather than just on which guy she's pursuing (if I understood your blurb correctly).

I'll be waiting eagerly for the demo!

kkisaragi

#13 Post by kkisaragi »

Anomandaris wrote:Puellarum is plural, puellae singular (name of the girl is what I assume you're going for). (Source: I've taken Latin classes and read texts on occasion.)
Ah man, that's such a careless mistake, and in 1st declension too! orz" Glad you fixed that, thanks! My Latin teacher would kill me if he knew I made that kind of error, dear me.

The art is really nice and shiny! I like the design of Estellia's sleeves in particular~ The sprites are sort of close together though (I don't know if that was your intention. If so just ignore me, haha), I think? :o

okiness
Regular

#14 Post by okiness »

kkisaragi wrote:
Anomandaris wrote:Puellarum is plural, puellae singular (name of the girl is what I assume you're going for). (Source: I've taken Latin classes and read texts on occasion.)
Ah man, that's such a careless mistake, and in 1st declension too! orz" Glad you fixed that, thanks! My Latin teacher would kill me if he knew I made that kind of error, dear me.

The art is really nice and shiny! I like the design of Estellia's sleeves in particular~ The sprites are sort of close together though (I don't know if that was your intention. If so just ignore me, haha), I think? :o
Half and half, you'll see ;) in the demo, I mean. Also, very very early draft. Talking two months ago, now it looks different by a long shot. Custom positions and etc.

I love shiny stuff. lol!

Yeah thank you for the clarification. . . Puellae, sounds about right! ~You will find the girl's name~

And yes, your decisions influence everything! You can get a great ending without going for anyone- but I love romance so it is of course possible. Also, making your potential love interests into companions or friends helps you a ton (especially the KNIGHTS, if your KNIGHTS are devoted to you in any form they will fight better). Keep in mind it's more or less your wits as a player and your abilities as a magician that help you, but mostly just your choices. It's also five times easier if you're not selfish, which all romance options are not fond of. Oh lord, is it wits and magic. . .

okiness
Regular

Re: Puellae Nomen Inveniēs [VN][GxB][Mystery] indiegogo'd!

#15 Post by okiness »

Posting to give some updates!

The prologue is scripted and almost completely coded! It's just missing some CGs and a single troublesome sprite to be presentable. Hopefully that puts a demo in the future!

For fun, I thought I'd show you guys how Luzehl has evolved from the beginning of his concept to my current abilities, and I thought I'd give you some extra info on him!
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp32 ... a9b9a1.jpg
A young knight - Luzehl's reputation around the world is very different from the man he seems to be. It is rumored there was no knight more honorable or heroic than Luzehl, who's sole reason for joining the Queen's Army was rumored to be the health of his little sister. But it was not long before people noticed the change. . .to this day, the legend of the man he used to be lives on. What could such a young man possibly be so jaded over? Despite his stoic behavior, he is still quite a beloved knight among the common folk. It was rumored that displeased the now banished Lord of Tahlae, who was quite infatuated with himself.
Also, I have started a campaign to raise money for the game! I also intend to shove sketches in people's faces for keeping this thread alive, so thanks to all of you for your continued support!
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/puell ... 994?c=home