Pokemon: Final Evolution

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
facadepapergirl
Regular
Projects: Pokemon: Final Evolution; Galactic Lust Crisis

Pokemon: Final Evolution

#1 Post by facadepapergirl »

In the Unova region, a lot happened in the battle between Team Galactic and N against the region's young savior. When it was all over and done with, the question the nefarious team had asked remained embedded in the minds of not only Unovians, but the entire Pokemon world: is it wrong to use Pokemon for battles? It was the topic on everyone's lips, the question everyone asked themselves as they went to bed at night, the subject of collegial debate. But did it change anything? It was a question, and until they got their answer, people continued to make Pokemon fight each other for their own entertainment.

Professor Baobab had always felt that it was wrong. As a medical professor, his lab made medicines and Pokemon medical machines for the injured. Working in such a business, it is no surprise that he has such care for Pokemon. But now, with everyone's heart in doubt, it was his chance. He spent a year of feverish, sleepless nights in his laboratory, working on modifying a bacteria that would change the world. When it was at last complete, he turned to his friend and family, a Magicarp named Carla. Confident that his work was safe, he injected the bacteria into her skin. She Changed. She became a humanoid Pokemon. In fact, she could have been human herself, wearing Magicarp-themed clothes. When Baobab showed her to the world, at first, people were shocked and disgusted. However, in time, they learned the lesson that he was trying to teach, and pokemon battling decreased sharply. Not completely, as some pokemon enjoy fighting, but it was no longer entertainment for humans.

Things seemed like it was going great. A Pokemon revolution was beginning to unfold, a new era in the world.

Team Rocket 2.0 saw an oppurtunity. Offspring, delinquents and cult followers of Team Rocket had formed a little Kanto gang. However, they sucked. No one was afraid of them, no one thought much of them. They stole pokeballls from pokemarts and drew graffiti on the sidewalks. But their leader, Kiera Strong, new how to catch a break if she saw one. With the most sinister of her Team in tow, they snuck into Baobab's home and stole not only the bacteria, but Carla as well. With their new weapon in hand, they became more confident, stealing people's pokemon, robbing stores for money, even kidnapping scientists. They became a danger that the Police could not stop, though they tried.

At last, it was done. The scientists had modified the bacteria so that it was contagious. With this, Team Rocket could infect their Pokemon quickly, and their stronger, Changed pokemon became even more of a threat in little time. With their Changed, like children and teens with powerful magic, they were too strong for anyone to fight back and win, and they took over Kanto. It was their first step towards world domination.

However, after being Changed, their pokemon remained contagious. A Ratatta, stolen from its owner and imprisoned in a cage Changed and broke free. He set the other caged Pokemon free, and they escaped, unintentially spreading the disease. Soon, Pokemon from all over the world were Changing, and Team Rocket were worried. If these Changed were used against them, they could be defeated. So, they now had to worry about controlling the region AND chasing after pokemon.

Ten years later, Team Rocket has complete control over Kanto and Johto. Hoenn is a warzone, as people fight for their freedom. Unova and Sinnoh are swamped with refugees, unable to help or even protect themselves. You are a Changed Pokemon, and it is up to you to save the world. Are you up to it?

Characters:
Baobab - base by inubases
Baobab - base by inubases
Baobab.png (20.21 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Professor Baobab - The person behind the Final Evolution Bacteria, all he wanted was to show people that Pokemon were people, too. Tings went out of hand, and he lost the person dearest to him, Carla, who was like a daughter to him.
Carla - base by Onion Master
Carla - base by Onion Master
Carla.png (37.68 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Carla - Patient Zero, she was Baobab's beloved Magicarp that he Changed. She didn't mind the Change, and was happy for the oppurtunity to be able to communicate with her "daddy" through human lips.
Kiera Strong - base by Able Anime
Kiera Strong - base by Able Anime
Kiera Strong - Her backround was a mystery. Was she the child a Team Rocket member? Was she a delinquent who ran away from home to wreak havoc on the world? No one knows who she is; all that they know is that she is the leader of Team Rocket 2.0, and she wants to rule the world.
Absol - base by Kawaii Daisuke Chan
Absol - base by Kawaii Daisuke Chan
Absol - One of the main character choices. His danger sense ability, strengthened by the Change, has shown him the terrible future that awaits all if Team Rocket is not stopped. But it is not enough for him to simply warn people; he has to stop it himself, someway, somehow.
Mareep - base by Angel Wolf Chris
Mareep - base by Angel Wolf Chris
Mareep - A cute little girl, Mareep is also a main character choice. She was an owned pokemon, before Team Rocket arrested her owner for Possession of a Changed Pokemon, and she only just managed to escape. Now, she wants to free her owner and bring down the people who are causing so much pain.
Trapinch - base by Lunar Hibiki
Trapinch - base by Lunar Hibiki
Trapinch.png (19.76 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Trapinch - A wild Pokemon, Trapinch, is captured by a group of Rocket members. Not only does she witness some of their cruelty, but she overhears their plans, and feels that she must stop them, no matter what it takes. However, she is too weak... so she works to get herself infected so that she may become strong enough. She is a Main Character choice.
Vulpix - base by Kirara Souchou
Vulpix - base by Kirara Souchou
Vulpix.png (30.79 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Vulpix - A Vulpix living at Mt. Pyre, she helps the main character get past the guards and save the ghosts in on of the characters' storyline.

Updated Feb 14, 2013
Gameplay so far: 3 Characters, 5 endings in one storyline
Words: 1785
Screens: 136

So, Pokefans and non-Pokefans alike, what do you think of my story? Do you have any ideas as how I can improve? Any storyline suggestions? I'm planning to incorporate a battle system similar to Monster Girl Quest. Any ideas as to where I can learn to do that? Or perhaps you'd prefer a different kind of battle?
IS this a game you want to play? Why or why not? How early in development do you want to see a demo? What kind of characters do you want to see? I'm not just asking to fulfill the sticky requirements; I really want to know what you think!

*edit The bacteria is in fact a virus, not a bacteria.
Last edited by facadepapergirl on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DreamDragonHatchling
Regular

Re: Pokemon: Final Evolution

#2 Post by DreamDragonHatchling »

Em... I guess my brain is too into logic to digest this child of yours.
So there is not only bacteria that transforms Pokemon into humans, but bacteria that makes clothes for them(because that what it likes to do....) and teaches speak human language... hey why give something like that to Pokemon, better give that thing to regular children and we don't need to make them go to school no more (then again in Pokemon universe most children don't go to school and parents don't need to take care of them because thy let them go whatever thy want to.) and no need to spend money on clothes...
Pokemon from all over the world were Changing
then it's world end? Pokemon in that world are animals/plants/fish/bugs... if all of them now have human body's with ability's...thy would have mega problems.... then again i am looking at this trough... well... gown human eyes, not child who believes that fish that now have legs and feet will know how to walk and won't be mentally traumatized for not being a fish no more... I just imagine all those thousand and more Pokemon that died because didn't adapt.
Adapt or die rule of nature.

Okay!! Just don't take it in wrong way, i am not saying that your idea is... bad. Just that is has holes, that better be explained or masked up so we don't see them. And there are plenty of people that are okay with thing that don't make sense. (me not one of them sorry)

Some illogical/make no sense things are allowed, but to many makes story unenjoyable.

Well those are my thoughts. :) I tried to not be to harsh, because criticism is my specialty.

P.S. Sorry for bad/unreadable english :twisted:

facadepapergirl
Regular

#3 Post by facadepapergirl »

Their clothes are actually made of keratin or, in the case of fish or snake Pokemon, whatever their scales are made of (which is probabkly also keratin, but I am no biology major). The bacteria manipulates hormones to cause hair to grow quickly after rewriting the dna strand so that their features resemble that of their former self while the body as a whole is changed to fit that of a human. The hair is predetermined to grow in a certain way, like curly or wavy hair, but grown out so it weaves into clothing. this is still pretty far-fetched, but you have to throw out the idea that this is in any way natural. The bacteria has dna similar to a human in it, like an ape or banana, but the Professor pretty much did everything himself, so it's not only artificial, but designed to work that way like any machine. Of course, if this was a machine, it is completely biological. It does not make them human, but splices human genes into their already existing genes. I've never seen any reference to cancer so, since their technology is so advanced (because they use Pokemon to solve conflicts, they didn't waste their technology on weapons) I think that they may have cured cancer. Isf so, their technology might be able to stablize what is being done to their genes.

Pokemonhave some low intelligence, perhaps that of a smart pig or a child. It has been proven that, given the immersion technique, they learn to understand the human language used in Pokemon. Carla has spent her whole life listening to the professor speak, and has learned the language. Given a humanoid body, she learns how to speak a language she already kinows. Being a child and so learns linguistics quickly, it takes her only a short amount of time to learn how to move her mouth to make the sounds she want. About.... maybe a motnth of intense training. And she was trained. In the game, it explains how it took her some time to learn to speak.

Pokemon seem to fall ounder one very variable group (I don't remember the biological classification, but I think they are in a group on the same level as mammals and reptiles, but a seperate group). If mammals can range from armadillos to platupi to whales, elephants, cats, bats and humans, then it can be accepted that Pokemonecan fall under one similar category just as varied. This bacteria only afects those of that group, and it uses a mathematical formula to determine how it reacts to seach species of Pokemon.

The process of the Change is extremely stressful and painful, just as any sudden full body mutation would be. Those that survive suffer from amnesia to some degree. Most simply don't remember the ordeal, some may forget large chunks of their lives. Furthermore, the victims are often aware of the gap of their memory , and this allows them a slightly cleaner slate to work with. Don't get me wrong, many die in the process, ad most are confused when they wake. But most learned that their bodies work better and more comfortably in a certain way. sSo, they learn to walk similarly to a young child. The amnesiac gaps acts like a buffer, and prevents the pokemon from becoming alarmed at their situation. by the time their body allows stress to take over again, they've comed to terms with their new bodies (or died),

Pokemon are made to learn to adapt to such situations. How does a butterfly learn to fly after being a catapiller? tThe part of a pokemon that learns to adapt remains.

DidI get everything? I have some questions as well. Anime is known for being able to do things "because anime." That is to say, it is not meant to be logical, but entertaining for children... and adults who are willing to suspend their belief. You obviously aren't willing. Pokemon has even more holes than most non-comedic anime. The name is in the title. Since you are obviously at least somewhat familiar with the Pokemon world, enough to disapprove and find its wholes, why did you read it surely realizing that you'd find fault with it? I didn't have to explain anything; people who enjoy Pokemon have learned to ignore holes for the greater creative good. But you offered a challenge, and I don't get to use both halves of my brain like this. feel free to ask more questions if you spot more holes. Perhaps some of the people who enjoy Pokemon had some similar questions.

I'm sorry for any typos on my part. I wrote it on my phone.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#4 Post by Kato »

That's a beasty reply using a phone, haha. Regardless of the holes in the story (Of which the anime had an abundance of) I'm super keen to see more of this. :D
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

DreamDragonHatchling
Regular

#5 Post by DreamDragonHatchling »

Pokemon are made to learn to adapt to such situations. How does a butterfly learn to fly after being a catapiller?
Instinct!
Copy Paste from wikipedia because it says what i wanted to say :)
Instinct or innate behavior is the inherent inclination of a living organism toward a particular complex behavior.
The simplest example of an instinctive behavior is a fixed action pattern, in which a very short to medium length sequence of actions, without variation, are carried out in response to a clearly defined stimulus.

An instinctive behavior of shaking water from wet fur.

A baby leatherback turtle makes its way to the open ocean
Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience (that is, in the absence of learning), and is therefore an expression of innate biological factors. Sea turtles, newly hatched on a beach, will automatically move toward the ocean. A joey climbs into its mother's pouch upon being born.[1] Honeybees communicate by dancing in the direction of a food source without formal instruction. Other examples include animal fighting, animal courtship behavior, internal escape functions, and the building of nests. All of these are examples of complex behaviors and are thus substantially different from simple reflex behaviors.

Maturational instincts

Some instinctive behaviors depend on maturational processes to appear. For instance, we commonly refer to birds "learning" to fly. However, young birds have been experimentally reared in devices that prevent them from moving their wings until they reached the age at which their cohorts were flying. These birds flew immediately and normally when released, showing that their improvement resulted from neuromuscular maturation and not true learning
So behavior of Pokemon how thy act, move and live is not from memory but instinct and even if thy have amnesia thy will act and move the same way and will be not happy about there new body. Instinct can't be deleted by amnesia. :)

But your replay made me smile (don't know why lol)

and
Anime is known for being able to do things "because anime."
Yes and NO, Yes there are things that are well... only in anime, but what separates good anime from bad is if thy know it how to present it and not go over the top. I use to be big fan of anime, but in last years there aren't that many anime that are good, because thy are just anime... same old same old copy paste, people love fantasy (most) but illogical shit is just booring.
How many anime use to become fan favorites and be remembered even after years( and i am not talking about the really old stuff), but now i hardy remember what was last seasons animes because there wan't nothing... interesting. (hmm.... i needed to talk about logic and illogical or something XD but for me good anime that is interesting can be illogical but still have enough logic to keep it together... or something like that, it soo hart to write your thoughts in foreign language XD need more new word to sound convincing and logical myself XD )

I watched Pokemon when i was young and older... even when i was 9 years old when i loved pokemon and wanted t have i pokemon i didn't like that thy just evolved and where like different (similar) but different species. I would had better liked if thy had more evolution that slowly went to looking like thy look when thy evolve. But that just me XD

Okay, I said little bite of what i wanted to say, Being A troll and asking questions in places where thy shouldn't be asked XD ANd writing a mess that i even don't know that i wanted to say with it XD

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kato »

I've been thinking a little (trust me it hurt), but will there only be one of each pokemon in the game? If so is it implied that all the pokemon of the same type will look the same (maybe bar gender differences).
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

facadepapergirl
Regular

#7 Post by facadepapergirl »

If instict is biological and neurological as it says, than that may also be manipulated through advanced genetic manipulation, could it not? Think about how advanced our technology is. What if we hadn't spent so much study on weaponry? If Einstein and the other geniuses in our history did not have to spend time making bombs and missles and advanced weaponry. Though Pokemon has had wars, they're still a lot less advanced weapon-wise than we because of their reliance on Pokemon. My point is, I think their medical prowess is enough to manipulate even the pokemon's predetermined biological functions like instict. After all, they made the Pokemon Porygon and its evolutions. It is possible in this world.

And Ken Sugimori modelled Pokemon after bugs that's why they can look so different after changing and swhy there are only two or three stages. So, having a lot of evolutions would be a more mutation-based idea as opposed to a natural life phases idea.

Also, to tell the truth, I wasn't sure where I was going with the amnesia thing. Someone distracted me and I lost my train of thought, but I tried to go on anyways. They do have the amnesia, but its merely a stress remover. And I don'tconsider you a troll. You saw a problem with my story, and you tried to fix it is what I see.

Kato wrote:I've been thinking a little (trust me it hurt), but will there only be one of each pokemon in the game? If so is it implied that all the pokemon of the same type will look the same (maybe bar gender differences).
I'm not sure what you mean. There are other Changed Pokemon of all types and species. Theoretically, if you choose to be Trapinch, you could run into another Changed Trapinch, male or female. They'd look similar, as you woulsd imagine from creatures of the same species, albeit with enough personal difference to tell them apart. Does that answer your question?

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#8 Post by Sapphi »

facadepapergirl wrote: So, Pokefans and non-Pokefans alike, what do you think of my story? Do you have any ideas as how I can improve? Any storyline suggestions? I'm planning to incorporate a battle system similar to Monster Girl Quest. Any ideas as to where I can learn to do that? Or perhaps you'd prefer a different kind of battle?
IS this a game you want to play? Why or why not? How early in development do you want to see a demo? What kind of characters do you want to see? I'm not just asking to fulfill the sticky requirements; I really want to know what you think!
Hmm... it seems like a story like this could be as simple or complex as you wanted it to be. Pokemon isn't exactly renowned for its scientific accuracy and all attempts to make coherent sense of the Pokemon world are doomed to fail. Isn't Magcargo supposed to be hotter than the sun?

Given that, I'd at least like to submit that what you want to infect your Pokemon is probably not a bacteria but a type of modified virus. Bacteria just lives alongside of animal cells, whereas viruses inject their genetic contents into animal cells and reprogram them to serve as copy machines for making more viruses. Usually those viruses will burst out and end up killing their host cells, but I think I read that viruses with a lipid layer over their protein coat just "slip out" of their host cells without bursting them. Since your infection needs to not only be contagious but also affect the DNA of the host, I think a modified virus would be better than a bacteria :)

Other than that little nitpick, if I were you, I'd focus more on creating a fun game mechanic than worrying about too many scientific details.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Kato »

Kato wrote: I'm not sure what you mean. There are other Changed Pokemon of all types and species. Theoretically, if you choose to be Trapinch, you could run into another Changed Trapinch, male or female. They'd look similar, as you woulsd imagine from creatures of the same species, albeit with enough personal difference to tell them apart. Does that answer your question?
I does! Haha, cheers.
Image Image