Era of Monsters [GxB][Fantasy, Romance, Comedy][Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Era of Monsters [GxB][Fantasy, Romance, Comedy]

#76 Post by Ran08 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:10 am

It's not your fault Merula! :o
Anyway, you're welcome, and thanks for replying. ^^ Haha. Ahem... so...

I don't think we'll be disappointed. (Well, I'm pretty hard to disappoint anyway. Wahahaha.) And besides, like I said, I don't really appreciate complete biiiis very much. XD So I think Neyris is fine the way she is now.
Hahaha, and yeah, they don't seem to be shota, but they do look like they're her younger bros or something. At least, that's what I think. Still, I think they're pretty much okay. ^^ Maybe it's the make-up, or perhaps her mature look.
Haha! Noooo, it's not torture, but it's good you have a proofreader to help you. :))

Ahaha, no, don't worry, you didn't fail or anything. Believe me, it's just me. XD Oh, and hey, I like that part! Although it somehow makes things light and fluffy, doesn't it? Hahaha. ^^

(Oh, and I'm sorry... and I mean you no offense but... I just can't not say this. HAHA. "It was a long massage." << Yes, it was quite relaxing... XD Haha, kidding aside, it's alright. ^^ Thank you so much for explaining everything to lil' 'ol me. ^^)

Merula O
Regular
Projects: Era of Monsters

Re: Era of Monsters [GxB][Fantasy, Romance, Comedy]

#77 Post by Merula O » Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 am

Younger bros?.. Well, we already have non-blood-related elder brother, why not?

And...
Freud was right! I was stressed recently, so I now why I made this typo...
Ok, Ok. Edited this. English-not-the-first-language + Dysgraphia = Suddenly Something Pleasant appears. If I have a typo or something, it`s always something ridiculous. Why other languages are easier for me?.. Even more difficult ones... well, never mind. It`s not my diary.

Merula O
Regular

Re: Era of Monsters [GxB][Fantasy, Romance, Comedy][Demo]

#78 Post by Merula O » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:22 pm

fatfish.png
Finally! Even earlier than I thought, I can release the demo. Special thanks to Anomandaris, who made the text in the game readable and much cooler and gave some really good advice. Thanks to everyone, who followed the thread!
Here’s the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lslkdnlp52e3w1z
Have fun! Oh, and I updated the first post :)

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#79 Post by ShippoK » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Got around to reading the Demo!
*Note* I'm a horrible Critic, so I'll do my best to point out the good and the bad.

Minor Nitpicks:
-Blinking;
While nice, the blinking feels very distracting. I think you should add some more pause on the amount of time a person blinks in a few seconds.

Errors:
-Save Menu;
I noticed the Save Menu is a little messed up. Page 1 goes to 2, not 1. I have to hit previous to get to page 1
-Quick.Load
Right Clicking out of Quick-Load takes me to the Save Menu, don't know if that is intentional or not.

Thoughts:

-A lot of scenes seem to come and go a lot of times that it can be a little hard to follow.
But, sense it is just a demo, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that it'll be paced a little better.

-The writing could use more descriptive; the character sprites do a good job in general but it could be improved on with some descriptive.
Something simple as in...
Ex.
"Neyris cried out angrily, her eyes piercing into Till through and back."
"Till backs off in fear, accidentally transforming into her usual bird-form from the frighting witch."

-Dialog works if it's going for a non-serious story.
It feels very comedy-like with what some of the things the characters say.

All in all, it shows potential.
It has a lot of interesting characters and designs and the artwork has a lot a love put into it.
Patch up the pacing and writing here and there and you got yourself a pretty darn good NV.

Now I'm going to patiently wait for the option to have Neyris to BAD things to Malik.

Random Comments:
-The Main Menu music reminds me of something but I can't get my noggin working to figure what it is... Got a name of the song?
-I wonder if their will be a route for MaleTill. (Hint hint)
-I like how the catacombs has a green field with a random sheep in the background.
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

xrominax

#80 Post by xrominax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Love Neyris o(*゚▽゚*)o best heroine ever!!
i laughed a few times specially while the dialogue with Till.
Thank you for share this with us! ヽ(´▽`)/
Riki looks cute and very interesting love weird guys(he looks little weird for me XD love it)
I enjoyed all the demo want more! ー
sorry for my english ;__:

Merula O
Regular

#81 Post by Merula O » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:30 am

ShippoK,

Thank you! I`ll correct messed up menu and blinking. Oh, programming is suffering..

Hmm… I`m pretty bad writer. I was much more interested in drawing. Maybe I should find a co-writer? Now people can judge not only by ideas, after all… (nancie doesn’t reply here and I`m worrying that she got bored or something lol) Or at least a person who will say “Wrong!” when something is weird or too fast or sounds abrupt (that happens all the time). I`ll try to improve it myself but don’t know if I can do it right… I'm not a person who will go "My story, don`t touch!". If it's for improvment, I'm happy to change almost everything. Espesially in my awkward writing :cry:

All music was from free sources, so of course somebody has already used it. Main menu music was from sentive.net, 夢想蝶 (kanji tells a lot :wink: ‘musouchou’)
ShippoK wrote:
-I wonder if their will be a route for MaleTill. (Hint hint)
Of course, he will get a route! I couldn't resist...
Xrominax,
Thank you! Yey, you liked Ney! Riki is weird, that’s a fact.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#82 Post by Katta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Neyris is great! Beautiful and a nice personality) I like her so much.
My favourite character from reading this thread was Wilhelmine, her helmeted expressions were so cute, I'm kind of dissappointed that we get to see her real face and so soon. Oh, I've got to the scene in the library, Wilhelmine is my favourite again!
But absolutely all characters are just so cool) I'll definitely try to get everyone (except Drake) once the game is finished.
Last edited by Katta on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nancie
Regular

#83 Post by nancie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Merula O wrote: (nancie doesn’t reply here and I`m worrying that she got bored or something lol)
I'm here and I've been keeping track from my phone but I have not had a chance to sit down at my computer for a couple days, I plan on playing this afternoon.

Merula O wrote:
Hmm… I`m pretty bad writer. I was much more interested in drawing. Maybe I should find a co-writer?
I believe I have offered my services before.... if you are still interested.

Anyway I'll make sure to give a full review later :wink:

Doomzilla
Regular
Tumblr: punchysporkk

#84 Post by Doomzilla » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:26 pm

I just finished playing the demo, and wow! I think Neyris might be my favorite player character now. She's just so much fun. I love her interactions with everyone, and it's so nice to have a PC act strong and confident. As far as the writing goes, I'm not sure I agree there's a problem. At first I had a little trouble getting into it because of a few word choices I felt were odd, but I got used to your style pretty quickly, and I'm assuming it'll get touched up a bit more before it's finished. I'm so excited for the complete game! ^_^

Merula O
Regular

#85 Post by Merula O » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Katta,
Thank you! It`s funny, that people says that they like Neyris, Wilhelmine, Annett’s boobs I hate my cousin. Haha, boys go second.

Nancie,
Oh, I’m so sorry if I sounded rude! Of course, I remember, and that’s why I mentioned you here :oops: . If you don’t change your mind after playing the demo, I’ll be happy to work with you!
Looking forward to your review!

Doomzilla,
Well…
*Now I feel that I should have this picture as my signature :? * It’s not a style, it`s me being uneducated. English is not my first language and my editor is like super-polite and didn’t correct strange phrases :lol: . Original text was horrible, believe me. Editing my writing is a big work.

Wow, that strange feeling than you tried to make an otome game, but heroines are more likable than boys.

Doomzilla
Regular
Tumblr: punchysporkk

#86 Post by Doomzilla » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Lol, no really, I double checked the words that seemed weird and they do fit even if they're unusual choices. I kinda liked it, but it also wouldn't be too hard to fix if it bothers you. I forgot that english wasn't your first language when playing, you and your editor both did a great job! Also I did love all the boys, but I didn't want to give away spoilers or learn how to hide them. I am completely fascinated by Riki, I can't wait to get back story on him. I wanted to kick Freynir, but I have a feeling he could wind up my favorite. Or Theo. Till and Kuon are my favorite characters at the moment. Drake was the only one who kinda bored me, but I never like the nice guys and I did enjoy Neyris teasing him. I think I was just gushing about Neyris so much because it's so very fun to be a little bit bad for once! She wouldn't be nearly as fun without such a great supporting cast for her to torment though. =] No feeling bad!

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#87 Post by Katta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Merula O wrote: Wow, that strange feeling than you tried to make an otome game, but heroines are more likable than boys.
Your guys are very likeable, especially Till and Kuon) But it's common that otome games have at least one likeable guy and Neyris is unique, that's why people like her so much.

nancie
Regular

#88 Post by nancie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 am

Merula O wrote: Nancie,
Oh, I’m so sorry if I sounded rude! Of course, I remember, and that’s why I mentioned you here :oops: . If you don’t change your mind after playing the demo, I’ll be happy to work with you!
Looking forward to your review!
You worry way too much, I didn’t think it was rude at all I thought you were worried I had abandoned you :wink: and I’d love to help out with anything you still need help on I’ll pm you with some contact info so don’t be afraid to hit me up if you need (or want) any help.
Merula O wrote:Wow, that strange feeling than you tried to make an otome game, but heroines are more likable than boys
I think we are supposed to like the mc but for some strange reason most writers try to stick to the nameless, faceless, and without any personality or ambition mc that is why everyone feels the need to comment big on how much they like her, so don’t worry it’s not a bad thing.

ShippoK wrote:-Dialog works if it's going for a non-serious story.
It feels very comedy-like with what some of the things the characters say.
I thought the same thing you are going for humorous romance right?

Anyway here goes –

Writing:

I’m not really sure what you are so concerned with, or what you did write that you thought was so poor. I’ll have to agree with this:
Doomzilla wrote:Lol, no really, I double checked the words that seemed weird and they do fit even if they're unusual choices. I kinda liked it, but it also wouldn't be too hard to fix if it bothers you.
But I’ll expand on it a bit more from my point of view:
Countess Seleste –
“What an importunate servant! Well, it’s not hard to tell, actually.”
The grammar and the words are all correct. When I read it though I had to look up the word importunate to make sure it was used correctly, it is not a word that I have seen before. For me at least it is a rather uncommon word and you may have been using it to demonstrate how snobby she was or as a speech pattern of an aristocrat but it feels rather unnecessary here, I might have said something like –
“What a nosey servant. “ or “What an insistent servant.”
But again it’s not wrong and I only found a couple of places like this most of the writing was quite understandable. You and your editor did quite well.
I did find a couple small things of note that might have slipped passed your proofread:
Drake intro –
??? – “Are you new in the city? Your clothes doesn’t look like a local’s.”
Should be – “Your clothes don’t look local.” Or “Your clothes don’t look like a local’s”

First choice –
Neyris talking to Till in the library – (choose Till)
“Just tired. My head don’t work as it should….”
Should be – “My head won’t work...” Or “My head just won’t work as it should...”

Choose Malik
“No, I haven’t changed. It’s so sad that you don’t remember me. B-but even so, w-w-we can!... ugh… you know… we can became friends one more time! I believe it!” wrong tense – should be “become”

Lying in bed with Theo (choose go home)
“He woke up because of my voice. When Theo saw me, he get confused for a moment, but then frowned. His face became red at the same moment.” – Wrong tense should be “got”
The sentence structure is a little awkward here some rewording might help the flow –
“He woke up to the sound of my voice. He was confused for a moment when he saw me, but quickly frowned as his face suddenly reddened.”

In the alley at night (choose to go outside)
??? – “Thank you. Do like the way you live?”
Forgot a word – should be – “Do you like the way you live?”

Wilhelmine –
“If there are no some scary potions and suspicious things, I don’t mind either…”
Could be –
“If there are no scary potions or suspicious things laying around, I don’t mind either…”
“If there are not any scary potions or other suspicious things around, I don’t mind either…”

In the market place:
“I met such a nice auntie. I didn’t expect that at all.”
An auntie would be a relative so in this sentence it sounds odd. I would swap it for lady or merchant or something of the like.

“Oh, I forget about getting a present for Riki.” Wrong tense, should be “forgot”

Annett –
“W-why should I? CH-chairman, why don’t you call your army and don’t make them go away?!”
The second “don’t” should be removed – “… why don’t you call your army and make them go away?!”

Characters:
Please keep in mind that these are my thoughts and very opinionated views of the characters. As I said before you can’t please everyone, so what I may like others won’t and vice versa.
Neyris:
What can I say I’ll have to agree with everyone else, she’s awesome! She has just the right mix of confidence and self-awareness. She’s not evil but she’s not an angel either. I find her inner turmoil commentary during romance scenes to be quite entertaining. The only thing I find that didn’t quite fit was that she would be so forward and adept at flirting and seduction if she was in fact a 300 year old virgin. You may touch on this later in the story I don’t know but that’s just my two cents.
Drake:
At first glance I didn’t really care for him, mostly appearance. Blond hair, blue eyed “lord of light” good guy. I tend to wait on pursuing this route, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much personality you gave him, his cute little quirks and his sly little flirty comments. I’m quite curious to see how his path will play out.
Malik:
I love the childhood friend route, but in this case something else was screaming as the prominent trait – So first let’s just say, shy I like … child I hate. I don’t mind a little innocence but with him I felt as if I was robbing the cradle … he may grow up a bit in later scenes but from what I saw he was just too young to pursue. That being said I did like the way he was able to completely disable Neyris’s defenses with the simple statement “You are really cute.” And her inner commentary during that scene, wow awesome work.
Theo:
This is usually the type character I pursue first, everyone one loves the tsundere (or at least I do) he is both attractive and likeable, he does not really like the mc to start off with so you’ll really have to work for him, and what I saw it looks like it will be a long road. I like that he is in a (sort of) submissive role so it won’t be constant abuse throughout the whole route. I do like that he has somewhat of a different backstory (hating magic even though he lives in “The” magical city of the realm) really looking forward to his path.
Riki:
He is cute I liked that his thought path was quite unique, I always find it fun to follow this path as the normal rules don’t apply when you make choices with him, you have to rely on what you think he will think. I always find that it takes a bit of skill to both write and follow this type character properly, but I have no doubt you’ll be able to pull it off. I can’t wait to find out the story behind his life. (though I have a pretty good Idea why they locked him in the catacombs …)
Freynir:
Self-righteous jerk. I’m pretty sure he’ll even be abusive, not really my thing. I love confidence, I really enjoy the sly wit and even sympathize with people who hate out of misinformation, but he just rubbed me the wrong way. Some of his statements were clever and arrogance was even endearing at one point but unless he shows some redeeming quality, very early in his path I may not bother. I did enjoy the nickname elk-man though.
Kuon:
Lets see he was completely 10 for 10 – came to save Neyris, put everyone in their places, told everyone they’d have to deal with him if the wronged her. Not only is he attractive but he has the brooding dark air about him too. He even built an army to protect and further his kind. He was perfect right up until Neyris told him “I see you as my brother not my uncle.” That was just a little too much for an intimate scene, not that it’s a bad thing to say it was just weird during the closeness of the scene, I’m not sure if that makes any sense.
Till:
I liked her at first but I didn’t really pay her much mind at first I did really love the way she seemed to know exactly what was going on with Neyris. Then when I say the flash back with till as a young boy… I spent the next few minutes trying to figure out what Neyris did to him to make him a her … I was pleasantly surprised by the answer. And that was where he became my favorite character, I’m really glad that he is a pursuable character. I love the whole demon role so again the rules apply a lot less between the two and that he is truly her childhood friend that knows everything about her. The banter that goes on with them is the most entertaining of all the characters. So yeah I really liked this one – (insert more gushing here)
???:
Well I guess the creeper name really suits him, he is attractive and quite mysterious. Neyris stopped to listen to him because something inside her told her it was ok, so if we are to believe she has good instincts then he must be ok right? I always find the mystery character appealing and this one is no different… so far.
Annett:
I don’t particularly like her but I do thing that her character is strong and well fleshed out, her actions and most of what she said made sense and fit the storyline very well. I was humored by her bad girl light mage backstory, but confused by her childishness and lack of worldly knowledge. For example the way she dealt with her accidental marriage, not that it was not entertaining, it just seemed a little out of place for the character that was painted.
Wilhelmine:
I like what I have seen of her so far she has just the right amount of innocence and ignorance for her age. Her motivations and willingness to trust seem right on for someone who has been sheltered from the world. I am glad that I did get to see a glimpse of her during the demo, so thanks for that.

Let’s see the blinking. I really didn't mind it, so I guess it’s just a personal preference? I wouldn't complain if you slowed it down but it didn't really seem all that distracting to me.

I did notice a few times when the narrator was speaking there would be an empty name box and other times no name box might want to look at the difference in definition of the two.

The music – I think free resources are fine and the music you have is probably ok, my only gripe is the main song that plays in most of the scenes is just a little too jittery? It is just a couple piano keys with maybe a couple base cords in the background. The song is not bad but it is just played for most of the demo and it got on my nerves after a bit. It is a minor thing and I seem to be the only one complaining so yeah, just thought I’d mention it.

Merula O
Regular

#89 Post by Merula O » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Doomzilla,
Oh, so I used Old English and strange words :lol: . As I used dictionary all the time (my vocabulary is pure), it isn`t so surprising. And yes, Anomandaris did an awesome work.
If you want to kick Frey, that mean I did at least one thing right. And you’re alright too. He shouldn`t be attractive at that point, really :/ Haha, nobody loves Drake. I knew it.
Katta,
Oh, and I`m happy, that people like Neyris! If I didn’t care about her, she would be boring and dull. I start dancing every time someone tells that they like her hohoho~.
Nancie,
So serious… Thank you for the comments!
About dialogs – I`m not sure… Well, I plan to rewrite almost everything, I'll think about that.
Ugh… nancie, I’ll send you PM there I will try to answer other part, OK?

Maegalkarven
Regular

#90 Post by Maegalkarven » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Wow! I like this game a lot!)Demo is wonderful! I'm looking forward to see this vn completed)
And Neyris is sooo cool! I like her) And Till is so...well,not nice, but....awesome)
I like most of the guys, Neyris can romance) Exept Drake, but maybe i will change my mind)