Futility [Post-Apocalyptic][Slice of Life][Tragedy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
otaku_kun
Projects: Futility

Futility [Post-Apocalyptic][Slice of Life][Tragedy]

#1 Post by otaku_kun »

Hey people! I decided to re-create my other post in the 'Ideas' section (Link: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=19518) section and move it here, since after reading 'Creating your topic' I heard there's lots more activities going on in this section. Anyway, enough rambling, let's get started:
In addition it's going to be a kinetic novel. A short one because it's my first title!!! :D :D :D
By the way, everything is still in development i.e. the story, the characters, background scenes etc. I just wanted to let you know in advance so you won't comment on the lack of information being given. I just started this post and want you guys to follow the development with me! :D
The Story
"We can't escape Violence. We can only embrace it. Always remember in your hearts, as Violence is the law. It's the absolute!"
America has been ravaged by civil war. Two conflicting sides, one of hope and one of truth, locked in mortal combat. It will never end, it's been going on for too long, someone has to stop it. But who?
Albert Chapman, a young boy who discovers another boy, chained to meet his doom. This boy will give inspiration and hope to stop this conflict. But what about Albert's father, what will he think of this?

*Note: The story is still under development. Along the way I might change some ideas about the story to make it interesting to play. If you think I could add some more stuff to the story, please give a comment and we can discuss it through PM. Can't give to much away, now can I?

The Theme
The theme, or well the idea is suppose to give a sense of hope and fighting through everything to get what's right. 'Albert Chapman' is a boy who believes that America can be a better place if they just stop this pathetic fight. Fortunately, he meets another boy, who is also like him as they share a common interest. Once I complete the game, (hopefully) you would've understand that even though there will be bumps in the road, even extreme ones, those moments will push you further to our goal, our dreams for the future because it's a challenge.

The Setting
The story is set around 2011/2012, situated in America, New York, which has ultimately become a dystopian-like place. There are two groups which will be mentioned in the story:
1. The Fraternity of Hope # A patriotic group whose ideals are based around the American flag, unaware of what they're doing because I want to show the idea of being blind and not following your senses.
2. The Unblinding Truth # A group who turned away from the flag because they didn't wanted to blindly follow orders and become 'mind controlled' pawns. They don't like the idea of patriotism and want to spread truth everywhere. However, what they do not know is the way they're acting is almost patriotic because they're fighting for what they're believing.

The Cast
Albert Chapman
Albert's dad is the leader of a group known as 'The Fraternity of Hope'. His physique is
strong and well toned. Smart enough to know his way around and doesn't fall for things very easily. Albert keeps to himself when meeting new people because of his cautious manner but once he knows someone he never forgets their face.
Napoleon Reagan
Napoleon's dad is the leader of a rebellious group known as 'The Unblinding Truth'. His physique is similar to Albert's and his intelligence is on par with him, just slightly more because Napoleon does show a devious side. His character is outgoing and prefers an adventurous, dangerous lifestyle, unlike Alexander. However he does have a soft, compassionate side to him once he opens up from his preserved nature.
More character updates soon!
*Note: These images are not mine. I do not plan to use them commercially with my product as they belong to their respectful owners. These characters are merely placeholders for the time-being.
Progress
Progress is a bit slow because of school work. I'm trying to get things done when I have some spare time but hopefully I won't neglect the project because it is going to be my first. I've drawn some character concepts and if you want to see them click on the link at the top. Keep in mind those concepts are not final, just ideas. As you can see I prefer to program the visual novel but just to prove I'm committed I am prepared to make a demo (a very crap one indeed) soon. I've got school starting tomorrow but it shouldn't take long anyway! :D

The Question(s)
So, this is all I got so far for my first post. I just wanted to ask some questions so I can get some general ideas:
1. What do you guys think about the story so far. Despite the fact I haven't told all of it otherwise it will spoil too much.
2. Anything I need to improve upon.
3. Would it be a game worth waiting, or something that's interesting.
4. If there are things you are concerned about or anything at all please comment. I'll try and write back soon to give you the update.

Anyway now, this is the end of the post. From time to time I'll edit this post with up-to-date information and where I'm going from this. Until next time, see ya! :D
Last edited by otaku_kun on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Incognito
Regular
Projects: System of Paradise
Organization: Team Chimera

Re: Futility [Post-Apocalyptic][Slice of Life][Tragedy]

#2 Post by Incognito »

The art really shines here, I especially like the costume designs. Its too early to say anything about the story but once you polish it up maybe i can give you my two cents. Also, who is Alexander? is he a supporting character? he's not in the bio's.

Great work so far though, i hope you find time to work on this.

otaku_kun
Projects: Futility

Re: Futility [Post-Apocalyptic][Slice of Life][Tragedy]

#3 Post by otaku_kun »

Oh yeah, Alexander was the name given to the main protagonist, before it was changed to 'Albert Chapman'. I had a comment about the character relating to a real life figure "Alexander Graham" and suggested I should change it. My bad :D LOL.

And yeah, thanks for the comment. I'm glad you're interested.