Finding My Way to You [GxB] [otome] [slice of life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sonorousgem
Regular

Finding My Way to You [GxB] [otome] [slice of life]

#1 Post by sonorousgem »

Okay, here is my second project:
serena title1.jpg
Summary:
When her mother repeatedly leaves home to attend business meetings in foreign countries, Serena (renameable) can no longer bear to go home to her angry and bitter sister Sarah. School isn't much better, as she doesn't really live in a nice neighborhood, and finds herself too popular among the overwhelming male students and even teachers. Serena's best friend Kate also has problems at home that are hindering her school work. So Serena turns to her childhood friend and crush Mark and his twin brother Ryan. The only problem is that Mark can't stand her. Despite it all, Serena and Kate land themselves a room in the boys' house for a short period of time (no dirty stuff, by the way). During her stay, will Serena feel like she belongs somewhere? Or will she just end up lost?

Characters:
Serena
serena2.jpg
Renameable player character. Although your decisions will affect her a little, her personality definitely shows through. She is generally cheerful and probably the least passive character in the story. When angry, she doesn't hesitate to punch someone (specifically, Mark). However, she tries to hide whenever she is in pain because she hates it when people worry over her. She has known Mark and Ryan since preschool, though she has really only talked to Mark, her initial love. She goes to West Bannister High School, which is overcrowded with male creatures she spends all day trying to avoid. School is boring because of her intelligence and athleticism; therefore, she can be nosy and spy on other people in order to create master plans to help them. Not quite the average schoolgirl, is she...?
Something she'd probably say a lot: "Let's do this!"

Kate
kate2.jpg
Serena's best friend. She is one of the few other girls at West Bannister High School. Kate's default mood is happy, and she is almost always happy despite circumstances. While Serena finds school easy, Kate can't keep up. She often takes the least advanced classes possible because she can't handle the amount of time the more advanced classes require. Nevertheless, Kate always makes time to spend with Serena when she thinks Serena needs it. Kate has an older brother who has dropped out of school in order to do housework for their demanding and mean mother, the hindrance to Kate's success. Her mother makes her wear the frilly stuff, but Kate still loves pink.
Something she'd probably say a lot: "Yayyy!!"

Mark*
mark2.jpg
Serena's childhood friend. She remembers Mark as a sweet kid who went out of his way to do good for others, and then... well, everything changed. Mark is angry as often as Kate is happy. He snaps at almost anything Serena says, and seems to hate being around her. For reasons he won't say, Mark will soon be transferring to West Bannister High School after getting expelled from East Bannister High School, a goody-two-shoes private school. Mark enjoys playing football and climbing. He also doesn't mind cooking because he cooks better than his twin brother Ryan. Other than that, Ryan seems to outshine Mark at everything, one of the many reasons Mark hates him too.
Something he'd probably say a lot: "NOOOOOOO!!!!"

Ryan*
ryan2.jpg
Mark's twin brother. Unlike Mark, Ryan is polite and hospitable. He is also the top of his school, East Bannister High School, one of the most prestigious high schools in the area. Ryan shines in school and in sports, and hangs out with the best of the best. This makes him rather a snob, as he doesn't like stupid people (namely, Mark-- he likes lecturing him-- and perhaps even Kate). He is well aware of Mark's hate for him, and hates him back. Ryan finishes his work weeks or even months early, so he often gets bored and will make sure everything around the house is perfect (and everything needs to be constantly re-checked, as Mark lives there too). When they were children, Ryan wouldn't hang around Serena or Mark; he was too busy reading classic plays.
Something he'd probably say a lot: "Listen to me! You'll need this for the rest of your life!"

Bob*
Serena doesn't know Bob... so why should you? ;)
Well, I'll say this much: Bob's just a normal guy who goes to West Bannister.
Something he'd probably say a lot: "Really? That's groovy!"

Sarah
Serena's twin sister. They look nothing alike, which factors into Sarah's hate for Serena. Like Mark, Sarah used to be very close to Serena, but now all she is is a pain. Serena knows Sarah is suffering inside, but Sarah does best when they are not together. She's homeschooled by Serena's mother, though she hates her too. Serena and Sarah's father left when they were in first grade, a painful time for both girls. Sarah and Serena used to play House together at dinner time with both their parents, which may be why Sarah refuses to eat with either Serena or their mother.
Something she'd probably say a lot: "GET OUT!!"

*you can end the game with this person :)
another note: Kate will also end up with different guys based on the one you choose (but no competition ;). Depending on your route, Sarah may pursue one of the above guys as well, and maybe even fight for him.
So far, there are 5+ endings.
More screenshots to come later :)

Here is my first screenshot :D
You can see this pretty early in the game, when you first see Kate. yes I know my fence is all crooked I'm sorry I can't space lines equally >.< hey, sometimes real fences look like that
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg (24.54 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Last edited by sonorousgem on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sonorousgem
Regular

Re: Finding My Way to You [GxB] [otome] [slice of life]

#2 Post by sonorousgem »

oh yeah, I didn't mention what I want to do with this or anything:
like Miranda, Princess at Heart (idk if i posted this there too) I just do these things for enjoyment.
I can't really afford to do them for anything else, because lol, I have practically no experience XD
I've drawn a lot, but most of it has been traditional and certainly unprofessional; I started drawing digitally the beginning of this year. Also, I can't. do. backgrounds. (i'm just like, oh look, this kinda looks passable.) and CGs... like, huh? can i even do those...?
I make these things with Ren'py which I just started using last month, and I can't seem to release anything without error messages. (I should apparently start the conversation on this forum... debating whether or not i should legitimately ask for help...)
I'm on break now, so I don't mind working on this stuff: it's so fun for me! :D
does anyone have any suggestions for me? (like, should i keep doing this? or, what is python and true/false in coding? or, idk, what should i do??)

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#3 Post by Nuxill »

Well if you're enjoying it you should keep doing it. You're not going to get any better if you don't. :) The premise sounds interesting, though I'm a sucker for these kinds of finding-a-place-where-i-belong stories.

I think it would be a good idea to change the color of the logo on the title page you've posted, because the black and white makes it hard to read on the main character's black hair and white highlights.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#4 Post by Ran08 »

I think it's interesting. :) Although I kinda feel sorry for the other twin if I just have to choose between either one of them. :)

Also, I agree with Nuxill. It's kinda hard to read with that color. :D

sonorousgem
Regular

#5 Post by sonorousgem »

thanks guys! my art program has already merged the layers -.- but i guess if i work with it a little more i can change the color to... uh, pink? (Serena's not really a pink person, but the way i color-schemed the thing, pink might work...)

@Ran08: yes, if you go for either of the twins the other one'll probably hate you more XD (but we'll see...?). and if you don't go for Bob, he might not even appear...? (sorry, i haven't pieced together the entire story yet...)

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#6 Post by Nuxill »

you could lay the font in a different color over the black parts and as long as they're the same size it will work.

sonorousgem
Regular

#7 Post by sonorousgem »

Nuxill wrote:you could lay the font in a different color over the black parts and as long as they're the same size it will work.
okay, I've tried that!
(and lol, i've tried it three times.)
any preference?
I personally like the second one (it has a kind of shadow effect, and in the top one the "to You" looks funky) but I have little trust in my tastes :D
Attachments
also with black &amp; white in the back, just positioned slightly differently
also with black & white in the back, just positioned slightly differently
pink with black in the back &amp; a little bit of white
pink with black in the back & a little bit of white
pink with white in the back
pink with white in the back

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Ran08 »

@Sonorousgem I also like the second one better! :)

Hmm? Really? Awww, I don't want to choose one if the other will just hate me. :( I'm just gonna choose a third option. Hihi. :")

sonorousgem
Regular

#9 Post by sonorousgem »

Ran08 wrote:@Sonorousgem I also like the second one better! :)

Hmm? Really? Awww, I don't want to choose one if the other will just hate me. :( I'm just gonna choose a third option. Hihi. :")
well, Mark will hate you initially no matter what you choose, and Ryan's not going to be mean to you if you don't choose him :) (Serena/MC deliberately makes it annoyingly? obvious in the beginning that she's loved Mark for a long time)
but Bob's cool too.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Ran08 »

Hahaha! Oh my, what a coincidence. :) A bit off-topic, but a character in one of my projects is also named Mark, and he also appears to hate you initially, AND, MC has also liked him for a long time already. :D

Then I guess I'm gonna choose Ryan. He seems really nice, while Mark is just a grouch. Hahaha, kidding. :3 But really. Even the Mark I know in real life is kinda irritable. (I based my VN character on him actually.) ^_^ Such a coincidence.

Goodluck on this!

sonorousgem
Regular

#11 Post by sonorousgem »

that's funny! Marks must really be like that... (but people still like them anyway XD)

and thanks! :)