The Rain Factory [Cyberpunk] [Western Art]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Raithfyre
Regular
Completed: Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods
Projects: Highway Blossoms: Next Exit, Samayuuni, ???
Organization: Studio Élan
IRC Nick: raithfyre
Tumblr: considerrewordingthis

The Rain Factory [Cyberpunk] [Western Art]

#1 Post by Raithfyre »

*Apologies for the huge wall of text. I just wanted to be thorough in explaining the idea so as to get the best feedback possible

Well, after starting multiple projects, I've finally got a couple going within my studio. This is the one I'm particularly excited about. We intend to include both Western as well as anime art, something I've not really seen done in this scene before. Or, we may just go entirely for Western art. Remains to be seen.

Oh no all my beautiful formatting of the document is going to be lost now

LOGLINE

Told from dual-perspectives, two victims of an oppressive society fight to end the reign of a tyrant. The Rain Factory will be the first in a series of episodic cyberpunk VN’s, likely featuring a blend of Western and anime art.

THE CITY

In a world that has ended, the city was built underground as a last vestige of life. With no way in or out, the insular nature of the city lent itself to a power struggle, which was eventually won out by a man now known simply as “The Baron.” Aided by the technology of Metalheads, once people but now more machine than man, his rule is absolute and merciless. The same technology which keeps the Metalheads functional and strong can be used to extend a normal human’s lifespan far beyond what it should be, and thus The Baron appears to be a permanent figure as well.

With no natural light and limited air, even the weather is controlled by the government. Machines pump and filter a synthetic atmosphere, allowing people to breathe. Above the city is affixed the lightbulb sun, a massive structure which separates day from night.

If the “sun” is the head, the spine is the Wellspring. A towering structure that stretches from the ground to the underside of the sun, the Wellspring is essentially a pillar filled with “pores,” from which rain, snow, and hail are distributed when it’s deemed appropriate.

The arc of the weather results in the “wet districts,” which are most of the city, and the “dry district,” which is the area immediately surrounding the Wellspring. This is largely upper-class territory, for politicians and other men with money.

While the vast majority of the city is slums, it’s not just the dry district that is “respectable.” In an effort to keep the filth of lower-class citizenry from dirtying the majority of the city, large gates separate the various districts. Each citizen has a wristband, corresponding to a different color, which allows them access to different parts of the city. Everybody has at least a green band, the lowest level, allowing access to the poorest parts of town. Yellow passes allow into the industrial district, and so on up through a white pass, which only the highest powers have. Sometimes, at the death of a politician or such, passes will go on sale on the black market for exorbitant sums. Bands have also been stolen by more direct, violent methods, making it common practice to lie about or obscure your clearance level, especially in less respectable districts.

Of course, such a massive and high-functioning city requires massive numbers of workers to keep everything going.

Above the sun, built atop it, is a whole other city. Consisting almost entirely of barracks, it’s where the grunts needed to keep the city working spend their days and lives, slaving away. In the rain factory, water is re-routed up from the sewer systems and cleaned, then loaded into the Wellspring for eventual dispersal, one bucket at a time.

These workers, and all the others who complete the menial tasks demanded by the city’s existence, live a repetitive existence. They are all named for their task, followed by a serial number. Rain-111. Snow-038. Purity-920.

Daily life passes by for them, with never a change in the routine. But some still hold out hope...

CHARACTERS

The Unknowing

The innocent, caught up in power struggles that have existed before they did and which will continue to, long after they’re gone. These characters are those who have never known anything other than routine; their place in the machine.

Rain

One of the gears in this infernal device, Rain is a girl named for her job. Tasked with overseeing the synthetic rivers that feed the rain factory, Rain sees her monotonous existence as a fact, not as something that can be changed. Her knowledge of the world at large pretty much entirely comes from outdated literature and eavesdropping on conversations between the guards. When the opportunity presents itself, she finds a rebellious streak within her; a desire to be remembered as a name and not a serial number. She speaks in a somewhat constrained manner, not using contractions or any sort of onomatopoeia.

“It was the first time in my life that I had been able to make a difference, and the first time in my life that I had been afraid.”

Another rainmaker, our heroine simply refers to her as 712, as she in turn is referred to by her number. 712 is a young woman, though slightly older than Rain. She believes that by exemplary behavior she will be allowed to live free in the city below, a lie purported by the guards of the rain factory. She is paranoid to the point of fanatical, and presumably guilty of using herself to earn favor with the powers that be. An antagonistic force, if also a pitiable one.

“If I can’t trust myself, then they never will.”

Hannover

As a janitor, he’s a relative nobody within the rain factory, but has the freedom of servitude, at least. An idealistic young man, he has eyes for Rain-423 and dreams of facilitating her escape someday, either through money or sneaking. She, of course, knows none of this. He emulates the harsh behavior of the guards, but can be seen to also display a measure of kindness.

“Ain’t nobody deserves to be cooped up here their whole life, ‘specially not her.”

The Egalitarians

Rook

Rook looks and serves largely the same role as a Final Fantasy protagonist, but isn’t as edgy. He has clear goals and sees what he thinks is the best way to reach them. Uncompromising and stubborn, his pigheadedness is both a blessing and a curse, especially in his line of “business.” A bit overly sentimental, especially at crucial moments, he hasn’t really had a chance to prove himself or anything - his big debut will also be his finale. What he does have is charisma, in a dark, cynical way. He’s set apart from other would-be heroes by his rationality: he doesn’t believe that he alone can change the world, but he believes that he might be able to pave the way for others to do so.

“There aren’t any more heroes. There are only two kinds of people: fools and martyrs. And I’ve got a bit of both in me.”

Crow

So named for his beady eyes and clever mind, Crow is an oily man who appears thoroughly unlikable, but isn’t all bad. At the very least, he’s committed to seeing the Baron overthrown. A cybernetics-surgeon by day, Crow also serves as an arms dealer - literally. Despite being horrendously lazy, he’s good at making things happen, in no small part due to his wealthy clients. Though his morals are rather ambiguous, he’s one of the most valuable allies the small coalition has. Rook’s dependence on Crow, as well as the similarity in their titles, has led some to believe the two have a history together, but that isn’t the case.

“Things can always be better, and they can always be worse. Me? I’m just along for the ride.”

Felicia

Forsaking a title in lieu of using her real name, Felicia is the group’s thief. She’s small and fast, and a damn-good driver, a talent which she uses making deliveries for one of the few well-to-do restaurants in the city. While the pay isn’t great, this nets her an access band to several restricted districts in the city. Lives in an apartment with her cat, Rouge. Harbors a fierce crush on Rook, which she doesn’t really try to hide. However, it’s an issue neither of them really bring up. Strange, considering she’s usually rash and impatient in most other regards, a trait which drives Rook insane.

“What would they do without me? Starve, for one. Hell, I have a hard enough time keeping them alive as-is.”

Barnes

Heavy weapons. Shoot first, and why bother asking questions? Preferring actions over words, Barnes is usually silent, or close to it at meetings. His lack of input leads many to think he’s dumb, but that’s not the case. He has a wife and daughter he is fiercely proud of, and has a sort of paternal love for the group. Not that he’d say that, of course. Finding joy in simple pleasures, Barnes fights not just for a better tomorrow, but for a better today.

“I’ll take care of it.”

Kitty

Barnes’ daughter. At 15, she’s too young to participate in any of the actual missions, but is still allowed to sit in on meetings because she represents a connection to the youth, and because her own young age could prove useful at some point. She recognizes the graveness of what the rebels are doing, as well as its importance, and is thrilled to be included. Idolizes Felicia.

“Of course I’ll do my best, that goes without saying! You’d better work hard too!”

The Others

While hardly an army, there are others who come and go, providing information or support more than regular involvement. While there’s of course always a threat of betrayal, so far, nobody’s given anything away...

The Mighty

The Baron

Decades ago, he appeared as a charismatic young leader, seeking to defend the city against a great, outside threat. A scientific genius, he found a way to turn anyone into an artificial “Superman,” the prototypes for today’s metalheads. When the walls went up to protect the city, he made no plans for taking them down. Now, decades later, with the same drugs pumping into his veins as into his Metal guards, the Baron is a tyrannical and harsh leader. The embodiment of Machiavellian ideals, he’s a one-sided character and someone with whom it’s hard to sympathize.

“Power is everything. Those who need it will take it. Those who deserve it will keep it.”

Hiro

His name’s an unfortunate misnomer. Anything but a hero, he’s the police chief of the city and captain of the guard. Known for his brutal treatment of innocents and civilians alike, he carries out the Baron’s orders with ruthless efficiency. He hates the Metalheads and their usage, and refuses to incorporate them into standard patrols. Constantly at odds with Kristofer, he represents traditionalism in the clash between old and new ideals, a fact he’s well aware of. In addition to standard-grade weaponry, he also carries an ornamented sword that uses to make widows and examples, often at the same time.

“I’ve done things my way and that’s worked so far, damned if there’s a reason to change that now.”

Kristofer

The primary scientist and the Baron’s right-hand man, Kristofer is the only man in the hierarchy with more power than Hiro. As the creator behind the Metalhead systems and software, he’s also arguably the only person with control over the Baron’s life. Not that he’d ever abuse that, of course. Cruel in a way different than Hiro, he enjoys matching wits with others, especially since he always wins. His sadistic streak is most evident in his personal experiments and research, all of which are fully funded by the Baron’s coffers.

“I could tell you, but you wouldn’t understand. And where’s the fun in that?”

The Metalheads

Named not for their musical preference, but rather for their design, the Metalheads are the prime enforcers of the city. At one point human, they’re now more machine than anything. Limbs replaced with prosthetics and head shrouded in steel, they’re artificial superhumans. Steroids are pumped into their system constantly, allowing their already-improved bodies to stretch far beyond the limits of normal men. Controlled by operators at computer screens, safely away from any sort of danger, the Metalheads have lost all sense of self, and have been replaced with obedience. Most were once criminals, those who couldn’t be rehabilitated or who weren’t given the option. Some were workers from the upper-city, monotonous lives cut short by a cybersurgeon. Everyone says that the mind dies when the synthesis process happens. But some say there’s still a consciousness, screaming beneath all of the machines. It’s never been confirmed, but it’s never really been denied. And those who know find it more enjoyable to keep secret.

SYNOPSIS
In a city where everything, down to the weather, is controlled by an iron-fisted government, free-thinking is not encouraged nor even tolerated. Every so often, a dissident will appear, and is quickly silenced. A young man by the name of Rook is one these dissidents, and he leads a small rebellion. They are armed not by knowledge of what change will bring, but rather by faith that it will surely be better than their current existence. An aspiring martyr, Rook doesn’t hope to succeed so much as he hopes to inspire.

With a seedy bar as their base of operations, Rook and his comrades begin to plan the loftiest assault on the Baron’s regime that has ever been seen: the destruction of the Wellspring itself. By destroying this bastion of control and flooding the Dry District, they hope to exterminate a number of the dynasts as well as inspire the masses to action. Essentially a guaranteed suicide mission, the operation will require all of the limited resources that the group has, including their lives. One of his allies, a lazy man named Crow, throws away his summary card, which contains brief details of what all was discussed.

High above, in the rain factory, where the Wellspring is fueled, Rain-423, who shares her name with all of her peers, lives a life that is the definition of monotonous. Tasked with filling a bucket of water, cleaning it of all of the many impurities that pollute a metropolis’ sewers, and then pouring it into a chute, ready to be dispensed, Rain has never known an existence involving anything else. She is given one day off a year, her birthday, which consists of spending her day in the barracks, or reading one of the books she’s read a million times before (limited library).

One day, as she pours the water into her bucket to be taken for purification, a waterlogged note is floating towards the top. While solid debris isn’t exactly unheard of, it’s rare for anything to still be legible after so long in the sewers. Reading the note, which is of course Crow’s notecard, she learns of the brewing rebellion. Flaring with pride at being involved, if only by coincidence, she keeps the notecard, stashing it somewhere in her room.

On the ground-city, Rook and his men run a couple training exercises, piloting the stolen vehicles, memorizing Metalhead patrol patterns, etc. Brutal conditions are observed, showing what exactly it is that’s being fought for. He finds out that Crow threw away the card, and berates him for carelessness. Crow reacts indignantly, saying that it’ll never be found, etc.

Rain’s card is found by one of her peers who, due to her birthday, spends the day in the barracks. The report of the rebellion is immediately taken to the Baron. An officer calls upon Rain to consult the logbooks and schedules and trace back from which pipeline the note came. Possibly, Rain lies about its origin, or faithfully complies. Somehow or another, it’s traced back to Crow specifically.

In a rare public appearance, the Baron has a public execution of Crow, with a speech about how treason will not be tolerated. While it’s not the first planned rebellion, it’s the first one to be dealt with publicly in a long time, which Rook takes as implication that the Baron is fearful. Regretting his treatment of Crow, as well as his ever doubting his character, Rook wonders whether or not they should press on with the plan. He decides to, as survival was never really part of the intent - Crow just met his end a bit sooner.

The whole spectacle is aired on all TV channels, and even the workers in the rain factory are required to watch it. It ends with the Baron making the ominous declaration that his purging won’t stop until “blood falls like rain, and the city is bled of its plague.”

Above, somehow, Rain has found out about a plan to totally eliminate the rebel force, and to take the leaders captive so as to be made an example. Wanting to assist but incapable, Rain finally devises a plan to warn the rebels. With things getting extremely dark, maybe even too dark, Rain kills a number of her peers and, well, fills the Wellspring with blood, in the most literal interpretation of the Baron’s warning possible.

Understanding, Rook thanks his anonymous savior, who has been taken to prison for her crimes, soon to be executed.
AIMS

Animated cutscenes with full coloring. Medium length, proposed 6-12 hours of reading (at an average pace). Utilizing “traditional” Western cyberpunk backgrounds, leaning towards anime character design but only if it can be accurately depicted. Music direction will be an electronic soundtrack, in the vein of Stendeck or Ulrich Schnauss. Intended audience mid-late high school through college students. Emphasis on action and plot rather than message or philosophy.

Whew, thanks for making it through all that. At this point, I've got the first episode fairly well planned out, as you can see. What I'm looking for right now is - anything that seems to be missing/unresolved (in a bad way, not like something that you'd expect to see cleaned up in the next episode), or anything that you'd like to see?

Also, what would you think of seeing Western, as opposed to anime art in a VN? I've attached some references by our primary artist, to give an example. While he's capable of doing anime style characters, as evidenced by this first sketch of Felicia, I think it'd be interesting to try something fully Western.

Last edited by Raithfyre on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: The Rain Factory [Cyberpunk] [Episodic] [Western Art]

#2 Post by SundownKid »

That western-style character art seems like it would be a lot more fitting to the story. The more dark and gritty the setting, the more realistic the art tends to be.

The 6-12 hour length sounds like a heck of a lot of writing, especially for a studio with multiple projects. Is that for all the episodes? All I'm going to say is, if you're releasing episodically, you should make each episode a worthwhile story in itself rather than using it solely as an introduction for the next one.

Raithfyre
Regular

#3 Post by Raithfyre »

I do intend to make each story worth itself. That's something I'd like some opinions on though - currently the intent is to make it episodic primarily to span a long period of history, and also to allow for some shakeups on the in-betweens.

We have enough people to support multiple projects, or else I'd never dream of running that many at once. However, unless this one does ridiculously well, I don't want to reassign too many members to it.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Western art is well received, if it's still good. We got a lot of people who enjoyed what we did for The Elevator (example: link) after all, and no-one was like 'should have been anime art', so why not.

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#5 Post by enta »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Western art is well received, if it's still good. We got a lot of people who enjoyed what we did for The Elevator (example: link) after all, and no-one was like 'should have been anime art', so why not.
I believe it's weird to see the elevator in an anime art. THAT would be the weird one. Just like the first time I've felt playing Jisei. But I got used to it as I finish the game and play the next series.

I don't see anything wrong with western art. In fact, OELVN needs more western art love. (I draw an anime-styled art too and can't draw something western but I love them).

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Use whatever art style you feel is appropriate, and that you can create.
Raithfyre wrote:Animated cutscenes with full coloring. Medium length, proposed 6-12 hours of reading (at an average pace). Utilizing “traditional” Western cyberpunk backgrounds, leaning towards anime character design but only if it can be accurately depicted. Music direction will be an electronic soundtrack, in the vein of Stendeck or Ulrich Schnauss. Intended audience mid-late high school through college students. Emphasis on action and plot rather than message or philosophy.
Those are lofty goals. Creating a detailed speculative fiction world with many important characters is not an easy task. Make sure you plan how you're going to design your story. What will you do in order to avoid becoming overwhelmed, discouraged, or bored? How will you get your team to work together and stay committed? I say this because I've watched a lot of promising projects end abruptly or die quietly. I've barely finished anything that I have started...
An aside: I think the phrase "western art" is a bit too vague. Especially since I have been to Chicago's Art Institute in the recent past, and seen the vast range of creative works across centuries, nations, cultures, styles, and so on. But you don't have to go to a museum to know what I mean. Just read Scott McCloud's book Understanding Comics in order to remind yourself that diverse comics existed even in the early 90s, when the book was written. It's slowly becoming easier to find something other than worksafe superhero and newspaper comics.

There is some diversity in anime art -- see the "8 Most Visually Striking..." ANN article at animenewsnetwork.com/the-list/2012-09-08 for some examples -- but manga is a much larger category. It's existed since at least the late 1940s, and has been commercially viable for decades. You can find an impressive variety of stories and art styles.
Raithfyre wrote:Rook looks and serves largely the same role as a Final Fantasy protagonist, but isn’t as edgy.
Back in my day, some of them were adults! And back in my day, some of them weren't defined by their attitude or their fashion statements! /grumpyoldman :D

Raithfyre
Regular

#7 Post by Raithfyre »

Glad to hear Western styles would be well-received. I posted a similar thread on Reddit, mostly looking for opinions on the matter, and received the same opinion I got here - if it's good. I'm curious as to why that stipulation is there while not necessarily with anime. I don't mean to knock anyone, not in the slightest. I've yet to see an artist on here who isn't better than I am. But there are still people whose work is at the "free game" level, as I've seen it called.

Our goals are lofty, but I think they're achievable. Aside from Empire, whose work I linked in the OP, our other two primary artists are extremely talented and can do animations as well, and while it's a new challenge for our musicians, they seem to be rising to it well. I may need to take a cowriter on, but I'm not worried about getting burned out - not yet. Like I said, we have a lot of people, all dedicated to getting something finished.

I'll admit that I'm not really well-versed in different styles of Western art, but I'm not really well-versed in different styles of anime either, I'm afraid. I have to tell people it'll look "like Clannad" or "like K-On," and "the eyes should be bigger" or whatever.

And heh, yeah, as for Rook, I was mostly thinking of Cloud and Tidus and Snow (all these whether names; now I feel like I'm ripping something off). I played FFIV a bit but didn't really enjoy it, and never touched VI. JRPG's just aren't my thing anymore. Hell, video games aren't really my thing anymore.

facadepapergirl
Regular
Projects: Pokemon: Final Evolution; Galactic Lust Crisis

#8 Post by facadepapergirl »

Finish this. Soon. It looks amazing! Can't wait for it to come out, or at least a demo.

Raithfyre
Regular

#9 Post by Raithfyre »

facadepapergirl wrote:Finish this. Soon. It looks amazing! Can't wait for it to come out, or at least a demo.
It shall be done! We're still a long way off from a demo, but we'll see what gets finished in the next few weeks.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#10 Post by Blane Doyle »

This is a wall of text if I have ever seen one... but it is one INTERESTING wall of text. This has a lot of potential behind it and I would LOVE to see where this goes.

As for the art: I love the idea of using Western art, I'm always up for a change in the styles I see. The first sketch looks great, though, so I wouldn't mind which style is chosen as long as similar quality is kept. So long as the art looks good and fits the story? I'm good.

Raithfyre
Regular

#11 Post by Raithfyre »

Just got the contrasting concept for Felicia (the character in the anime sketch), done in a grittier style. I'm of the opinion that she looks a bit too rough still (as in, personality-wise), but I'm definitely leaning towards this.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#12 Post by Blane Doyle »

Now that I have seen her in that style I have to lean toward it. It DEFINITELY looks much more unique and I would love to play a game in this style.

thedarkdefender
Regular
Projects: TBTR
Organization: Clockwork Cafe

#13 Post by thedarkdefender »

You had me at Cyberpunk. Definitely looking forward to this :D

destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

#14 Post by destiny_921 »

This sounds awesome! Will be watching this.
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

#15 Post by latte »

The art for this is incredible, really please finish this game QwQ However, how do you plan to do animated cutscenes? Do you have a team large and motivated enough to do that? Because if yes, wow, the results will be beyond awesome.