Summer Wishes [Otome] [GXB] UPDATE 9/19/13

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PancakesofDoom
Projects: Summer Wishes
Organization: Little Orchid Studios

Summer Wishes [Otome] [GXB] UPDATE 9/19/13

#1 Post by PancakesofDoom »

UPDATE 9/19/13 - New logo by iiStarCandy! Colored sprites of Kei and Tadashi! I've completely finished writing Kei's route and onto Tadashi's route. Also gave the title screen a better look in my opinion.

UPDATE 5/14/13 - Saica has finished the colored sprite of Emiko! Woo hoo! Also I am halfway done with the introduction part of the game >.< When school ends in a few weeks I promise I'll be fully dedicated to working on this!

UPDATE 4/13/13 - I was lucky enough to find a very talented artist that agreed to draw the sprites and CGs. Her name is Saica and her art is simply adorable! Definitely check her out. So far she's only made the rough sketches of the characters, but I decided to put them up so you guys could see :) Also have been working on customizing the menu screens as well as the text box. Me being a total noob to renpy, I only managed to finish the title screen this week.

Hey guys! After playing a good amount of otome games, I got inspired to try and make my own. This is my first game, so it's going to be approximately 45min - 60min long. However, if I can't, it won't be a problem. When the game becomes 80% close to completion, I will need some beta-readers. But that won't be for a while ^^;

Plot - Emiko's final summer during her high school year has finally arrived. She's excited to create memories with her friends before everyone graduates and moves forward with a new direction in their life. However, her careless parents suddenly announce they will be in Paris for the whole summer to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. Not only does she not get to go with them, but they are making her live with her grandparents-whom Emiko has not seen in 5 years-until they return. Upset and disappointed she will not be spending summer with her friends, she reluctantly packs her bags and concludes that this summer will be uneventful. However, while doing a few small errands around town for her grandparents, she unexpectedly meets two strangers. Both struggle with problems of their own, and Emiko gets dragged into the middle of it all. The so-called boring summer she was expecting might end up being eventful after all.

Summer Wishes is a light-hearted story about growing up, family, love, and finding one's true self.

Characters - (I'm just giving a brief description since I don't want to give too much away!)
Emiko
Age - 17
The main protagonist. She is greatly values the little time she has left before she becomes an adult. Unlike her friends, she has no idea what she is planning to do after high school, which scares and confuses her. Because her parents are never home, she resents them and strongly believes they don't care about her. Despite her innocent appearance, she is always quick to bite back if you make fun of her. Has a strange taste in what she defines as "cute."

Kei
Age - 17
The game's tsundere. He has a tendency to tease people, but will instantly go red and say the opposite of how he really feels. He is known to be quite popular with girls, but easily drives them away with his not-so-nice attitude. Kei doesn't act that nice, but he genuinely cares about others and can be quite the gentlemen. He is secretly good and sewing (although it's really not a secret) due to helping his mother at her tailor. He's kind of embarrassed for having a "girly" hobby because he feels as if his dad doesn't approve. Definitely a momma's boy (but he'll obviously deny it).

Tadashi
Age - 17
His default expression is always aloof and irritated. Because of this, many girls are driven to believe that he has a "cool/mysterious" demeanor and has many admirers. However, he acts quite the opposite. He has a tendency to just say whatever is on his mind, not really noticing if it could possibly makes things awkward or uncomfortable. Although a bit scatterbrained, he is a nice guy who would rather take naps or paint rather than get involved with his family affairs.

Title Screen -
titlepreview.png
Features:
-2 love interests
-2 endings
-CG Gallery

Progress:
Kei's Route - 100% (Completed!)
Tadashi's Route - 25%
Sprites 15%
CGs 0%
Programming 50%

Team:
Programmer - Me
Writer - Me
Sprites and CGs- Saica
Last edited by PancakesofDoom on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

Re: Summer Wishes [Otome] [GXB]

#2 Post by Seigetsu »

Sounds like a good start. One thing though, I'd recommend finding an artist willing to draw the sprites first instead of just one to draw the CGs. Personally, I find that if the CG artist and the sprite artist are different people, the art styles are so different that they look somewhat...out of place. It is also my opinion that original art for the characters would make the game more unique and appealing. In addition, it is probably easier to find a free sprite artist than CG artist, as CGs are more difficult and time-consuming to draw.

Good luck and looking forward to more progress posts about your game!

PancakesofDoom

#3 Post by PancakesofDoom »

Yeah you're right I am considering finding just an artist for the sprites and CGs if anyone is willing to do it for free though. I initially made those sprites just for a visual while I work on scripting the game. Thanks for your input!

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#4 Post by enta »

I think there are a lot of artists around here that would give you a helping hand but as of lately, all I'm seeing are people who work paid. And some(not all) free artists tend to slack or worse, disappear in the middle of production. So you have to be very careful in looking for an artist
I'm working as an artist for someone as well and I can't prioritize it as of now as I'm working on my own project as well. I'm doing my best to finish the sketches though.

Ahem, story-wise reminds me a little of D.G.S. And is it just me or there are a lot of people using "summer" in their games(including me)? :lol:

Nevertheless, good luck and have a nice day :]

PancakesofDoom

Re: Summer Wishes [Otome] [GXB] UPDATE 4/14/13

#5 Post by PancakesofDoom »

Hey everyone! Just a quick update to let you guys now that a very talented artist, Saica, has agreed to draw for me! Her rough sketches of the characters can be seen in the first post. :)

lilyrose
Regular

#6 Post by lilyrose »

Well this game seems interesting and i'm quiet curious about the guys as well O.o Saica's artwork so looks amazing and the story (even slightly cliche) sounds really interesting i'll be looking forward to it :)
~ You know I used to be able to leap tall buildings using a jetpack? Then I got shot in the leg with an arrow T.T ~

Saica

#7 Post by Saica »

Yay! Glad I can help! ^^ <3 It's a lot of fun!

www.lollisyrup.deviantart.com

/Saica

Milk Macchiato
Projects: Bijou, Monochrome Circus
Organization: Little Star Productions, Graffiti Dream Gamers

#8 Post by Milk Macchiato »

it looks great i'll be sure to play it _(:3 7 )/_ *an animal doing a pose on the ground*

PancakesofDoom

Re: Summer Wishes [Otome] [GXB] UPDATE 5/14/13

#9 Post by PancakesofDoom »

Hey guys, it's been like a month since I've updated this but I just wanted to let you know that I haven't really been able to do that much because of school! I did manage to work on it a little bit. Though I only managed to get halfway through the introduction, I still consider that good progress xD Anyways, once school is over, I will have a lot of time to work on this during summer vacation! Also, you can see that Saica has finished the colored sprite of Emiko :D

- PancakesofDoom

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#10 Post by pickle131 »

Awh the coloured sprite looks adorable!
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

lilyrose
Regular

#11 Post by lilyrose »

Lols Emiko is so kawai~ and now I got one more reason to like summer ^^
~ You know I used to be able to leap tall buildings using a jetpack? Then I got shot in the leg with an arrow T.T ~

kuri_chii
Regular
Completed: RHWIMY beta 1.0
Projects: Right here where I met you, Love Snatch, Monarchy High
Organization: VND - AWA
IRC Nick: Kuri
Deviantart: franzzzz002

#12 Post by kuri_chii »

Nice Character sketch :3

PancakesofDoom

Re: Summer Wishes [Otome] [GXB] UPDATE 9/19/13

#13 Post by PancakesofDoom »

Hi guys! I am so sorry I have not been updating this thread, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working hard on this project! Kei's route is actually complete, so now I've moved on to writing Tadashi's route. They're colored sprites are finally done, so definitely take a look at them ^^ Also, I thought that the old title screen looked kind of awkward, so I tried making it look better haha.

Unfortunately, I couldn't complete my goal of finishing it by the time summer ended, but that's okay! My artist and I have been busy with other things our lives, but we are still working very hard on this. I also just started my first year of college, and school definitely comes first before anything else. Hopefully you guys understand that I have a lot of other things to do, but I am still very determined and motivated to working on this game! :D

~PancakesofDoom

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#14 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Ohhh this looks extremely cute! Good luck finishing this, I look forward to playing it!! :)
i'll cry if you yell at me

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

#15 Post by Kyra10 »

I really like the character sprites~
I'm looking forward to this!
:D