The Morpheandir Tales [Demo!, GxB, Mystery, Fantasy, School]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ariana.ravensford
Regular
Projects: Morpheandir Tales

The Morpheandir Tales [Demo!, GxB, Mystery, Fantasy, School]

#1 Post by ariana.ravensford »

Updates:
We now have a demo for this game, so please check it out here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 45&t=21476.
All of us who have worked on this project thank you for your time and hope that you will enjoy the fruits of our labor!

News for the Full Game:
The full game will consist of 30 different endings.
Music in the full game will be provided by HexCat, as the current music is just filler.
Right now, it is unknown how many CGs there will be because of the amount of endings and events.
Each selection that a player makes in the game will alter the dialogue for the rest of the game somehow. In other words, it's not just for one scene right after making the choice. It will be brought up again.
We will be recruiting voice actors, so there will be a thread in the Recruitment forum about this soon.

Plot:
It is the year 2018, two years after the worldwide school system known as Lotusvale Academy opened its doors for the first time. Mika Cassian, a junior in high school, has entered the global exchange program in hopes of escaping the monotony of her everyday life back home. Shortly after she arrives at her dorm room, she uncovers a strange journal that belonged to the room's former occupant: a girl who had vanished a year before without a trace. Because of Mika's contact with the journal, at any time when Mika is either semiconscious or unconscious, her spirit is drawn into the dream realm, Morpheandir, in order to find out what happened to the girl, sometimes by living through the memories that are etched on the pages, and other times just moving through the dimension on her own accord to discover the secrets of others. However, the more Mika finds out, the more she comes to realize that she too is in danger of disappearing. Luckily, she is not alone, for she soon realizes that some of her acquaintances from school also fully materialize in Morpheandir, though each has their own dark secrets as to why they are there, secrets that if not brought to light and resolved could destroy them all... and if they die in the dream realm, they'll die for real.

Themes:
There are two main themes in this game, the first being the idea of what is reality versus what is a dream. Throughout the game, there are some instances where it will never be stated if Mika is in Morpheandir or not: sometimes it is obvious, other times, not so much. Also, there are times when the way that she remembers things from Morpheandir are different than what must have actually happened, since everyone else there at the time remembers a different version of how events unfolded. When that occurs, it's referred to as being a “dream within a dream”, with her own desires coloring what she perceives around her. After all, she is in the dream realm, where people's subconscious feelings and wants can be realized by them. All in all, the way that this theme is designed is to have the players come to their own conclusions on what events really happened versus what did not and were just a figment of Mika's imagination of what could have happened.

The second theme in the game is the idea that the actions of the characters, no matter how trivial, could trigger a ripple effect that can influence the outcome of major events. Not all the choices that a player will make in this game are solely for strengthening/weakening relationships with other characters. Sometimes, though it may raise or lower a relationship with the other characters, the main point of it is to determine how another event will play out later on in the story.

Characters in the Demo:
Mika Cassian: A junior in high school who is jaded by her everyday life and wanting to do something that is different for once, which is why she decided to join the global exchange program. Though Mika typically acts friendly towards everyone, as evidenced by her thoughts, it is mostly because of how she's expected to act versus how she actually wants to act and express herself.

Jason Tsukigami: A high school senior who, as dorm leader, runs the help desk in Mika's dorm. However, he doesn't seem to focus really on his job and is more absorbed in some sort of other project, the details of which are unknown to pretty much everyone. His obsession with whatever he is working on has a tendency for him to neglect everything else to the point where if asked a question while he is working the help desk, he won't even look up from his work and give a blunt, to the point answer.

Lance Edevane: A high school junior who attended the same school as Mika back in elementary school before he had to move away when his father (in the military) received a new post. Though he is typically energetic and supportive of Mika, she has noticed that he tends to shy away from other students and several of the other students are really timid around him for some reason, going out of their way to stay away from him at all costs.

Rose Durante: A high school senior who is known for taking all the younger female students under her wing, ensuring that they are hanging out in the right crowds, keeping up with their homework, etc. However, she oftentimes will ditch her “little sisters”, as she calls them, whenever she notices a good looking guy. Despite her doing so, many of the younger females don't condemn her for this and actually want to be just like her when they are seniors, though this may be because Rose is generally regarded as the “it girl” of the school.

Vincent Carter: A high school junior who happens to be in most of Mika's classes. Due to having last names that are next to each other on the roster, they are assigned to work together on several projects for different classes. Though Vincent is easily the smartest person in the grade when it comes to sheer logic, he seems to be clueless in everything else, his naive kindness making him a target for people asking him to complete their homework (which he does with a smile). He is also seen to be fairly klutzy, but he is also stealthy enough to where he has a bad habit of seemingly popping out of nowhere when Mika least expects it. In short, as perceived by Mika, Vincent is almost a complete contradiction of himself at times. Also, though he will be completely random at times, everything that he says is relevant to later events.

Questions:
If you've played it, is the demo interesting?
What did you like/dislike about it?

We hope you will take the time to answer these two questions, but any feedback at all is welcome.

Credits:

Writing: Myself (ariana.ravensford)
Programming: Myself (ariana.ravensford), HexCat (pseudonym of an irl friend)
Sprites & CGs: azureXtwilight
Background Art: Myself (ariana.ravensford)
Logo: HexCat
Original Music: HexCat
Filler Music for the Demo: Dexter Britain

If you have any questions, suggestions, or other comments that aren't exactly related to the questions, but still relevant to this noncommercial game, feel free to post them as well. Screenshots and character images will be posted as the art is completed. Thank you in advance for your feedback! Every little bit helps!
Last edited by ariana.ravensford on Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: The Morpheandir Tales [GxB, Mystery, Fantasy, School]

#2 Post by Ran08 »

Oooooh, I like the plot. Yes, it's quite easy to understand, I suppose? I find it interesting. Truthfully, it sounds a bit familiar, but nevertheless, I'm still intrigued. ^^ And yeah, the "dream within a dream" is also pretty familiar with me already, but I'd love to see how you'd use that here.

And I also like the two main themes, specifically with the second one. It seems... different. Usually, choices about trivial things in visual novels aren't my thing, but if they can influence a future event, then I'm going for it. ^^ Also, I am curious about the first theme. I wonder if there will be a visible change in her surroundings or something like that? :)

I am looking forward to the art too. Hahaha. This seems really interesting and I'm sure it'll look better with art to guide me in imagining the characters and their world. (Or I think worlds, in this case.)

Goodluck on this project! Looking forward to more progress.

P.S. I like Vincent, at least, at this point in time. :D

ariana.ravensford
Regular

#3 Post by ariana.ravensford »

Okay, here's to clarify a few things:
Usually, choices about trivial things in visual novels aren't my thing, but if they can influence a future event, then I'm going for it.
Well, I suppose they're not exactly trivial, as otherwise I wouldn't put a choice there. What I meant is that it may seem like a trivial matter at the time but later on, because of the choice made, it changes the outcome of a more major event.
I wonder if there will be a visible change in her surroundings or something like that?
Some of the times, there will be a noticeable change in surroundings when she's there, most notably when she's fully asleep. For example, let's say that she falls asleep in class. It's obvious that she's sleeping because the background image suddenly shifts from the classroom to a path in a forest. However, during times when she's semiconscious, for example, if she's daydreaming in class, not sleeping, the surroundings are still that of the classroom because she's still somewhat aware of what is going on around her, even if not all the details are fully processing in her mind and she winds up imagining a different version of events that took place.
P.S. I like Vincent, at least, at this point in time.
Lol, Vincent is probably one of my favorite characters to write, simply because of how random he can be.

Thank you for your reply, and I hope to update with more info soon.

ariana.ravensford
Regular

#4 Post by ariana.ravensford »

A couple of screenshots:
screenshot1.PNG
screenshot2.PNG
By the way, I'd like to credit OokamiKasumi for the text box/name box design, which she kindly put under the Creative Commons. I personally think she did an excellent job on not only the one I'm using, but all the ones that she put on her topic: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52&t=17268

I hope that you will enjoy this update and more images will be coming in the future.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Ran08 »

Haha, oh, I'm sorry, but that was exactly what I meant. :) Trivial things that will have an impact on the story later on. ^^

As for the dreaming thing... I mean... something like, for example, if she's in the dream world, wull there be like a mist, or at least just a bit lighter coloring? Less vivid maybe? Those sorts of visual cues. But yeah, if it suddenly changed, that would be pretty obvious, wouldn't it? :) Haha.

Teehee. Oh, I like randomness. XD

Jason is looking good too! ^^ Is he a sprite made for this game by azurextwilight? (And I know she's a great artist. Wahaha.) If yes, then that would be so lovely~ I think fantasy visual novels are a lot better if they don't have pre-made sprites, because if they don't, then it would be a lot more "customized" and the "world" can be more beautiful.

ariana.ravensford
Regular

#6 Post by ariana.ravensford »

if she's in the dream world, wull there be like a mist, or at least just a bit lighter coloring? Less vivid maybe? Those sorts of visual cues.
Initially, I had thought of doing that, but since I decided that maybe the players, for some of the scenes, should decide for themselves whether or not something actually happened, I chose not to make it that obvious in some cases. But right now, the only times when it's hard to tell, like stated before, is when she's in a state of semiconsciousness, such as daydreaming or just lost in thought.

Yes, Jason's custom drawn for the game, as all the sprites will be. The only thing that's not custom done by either azureXtwilight, myself, or HexCat is the textbox/namebox, though I'm considering having the game voiced, which would mean more people working on it.
Current Project~
The Morpheandir Tales: Tome of the Lost
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=20262
Please come take a look and provide feedback, especially on the questions I pose, since this is the first game I'm making!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Ran08 »

Ahaaa~
I see, I see. :) I'd like that better. Wahaha. It seems more fun when there's a real, vivid world, and a washed-out world. Lol.

That's good! Whew. I'm glad they're made especially for the game. :)
Hmm, although having the game voiced is a nice addition, it's... not that nice when not done correctly. However, I find voiced games a lot more enjoyable. They add something to that fun factor. :3

Again, good luck! :)

ariana.ravensford
Regular

#8 Post by ariana.ravensford »

A "washed out world", huh? That'd be interesting. It makes me wonder what would have happened to the colors. *mind reeling with possibilities* But of course, when it comes to Morpheandir, I probably couldn't do that simply because of the whole idea where what she's dreaming may actually be happening somehow (hence the whole if they get hurt or die in the dream world, they get hurt or die for real), so if it's a real place as well, then the colors would be about the same in terms of vividness.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the voices and the "when it's not done correctly" bit. That's when it becomes one of my pet peeves, but if I can find the right people for the parts, I'll probably add it in.

Thank you for leaving your comments (and especially answering the questions posed) and good luck with your endeavors too. :)
Current Project~
Please come take a look and provide feedback, especially on the questions I pose, since this is the first game I'm making!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Ran08 »

Awww, that's a shame. *small smile* But... I think I would still like that. Morpheandir seems like a cool world. But I was wondering, if you can't have a "washed out" world, then can you make it more vivid? Hihi. sorry if I'm annoying and so persistent on this color matter. Lol. Um, still, I think I'm gonna like this no matter what.

Oh, I hope you find the right people for it! If done correctly, it's a really amazing addition.

You're very much welcome! *small smile* And thank you. Let's both work hard!

ariana.ravensford
Regular

#10 Post by ariana.ravensford »

Yeah, I could make it more vivid, actually. I'm the Background Artist for the game, so I'm glad you brought it up... that sounds like a really good idea for the times when she's obviously there, might make it seem almost more real than the actual reality. Oh, and don't worry about the whole color topic. Any bit of feedback helps, whether positive or negative. It's nice to hear the opinions of someone else who isn't involved in any way for the production of the game.

I'll probably post a thing in the recruitment section soon then. Probably should start on the recruiting now if I want to have it in the demo version... The writing and most of the coding for the demo (which is the entirety of the first out of 13 chapters) has been completed, other than the adding of the sprites (due to azureXtwilight still working on them).
Current Project~

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Ran08 »

Ahh, I see! Yeah, I hope you do! :)
Goodluck on being the BG artist! I understand that's quite hard. :3 I'm sure you can do it!
Awww, okay. :)

Ahh, recruitment for what exactly? Ooooh, I'm sure azureXtwilight will come through. Hahaha. She's a really great artist. I actually like her art, and I'm glad that she's your artist. Another thing to look forward to~

ariana.ravensford
Regular

#12 Post by ariana.ravensford »

It's actually not that bad. Of course I've always found drawing/painting and digitally drawing scenery easier, rather than animals and humans/humanoids, so it wasn't a big deal. Actually, the background images were originally done by me as part of a project for school. It was just luck that I was able to get all the images I needed from there. If it wasn't for that, I would be nowhere near where I'm at in terms of coding and it would take me weeks to finish up the background art.

I'll be recruiting voice actors, of course! :D

Yeah, I really like Azure's art too. I was lucky to be able to get her on board. :)
Current Project~

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#13 Post by Seigetsu »

Very nice premise! You have my interest! (stalks thread)

Is the general plot of the game easy enough to understand from the description?
Yes, I think the general plot is relatively easy to understand, and the fact that you would be visualizing the characters' desires in the dream world, colouring their perceptions, seem like a very interesting start.

Is the concept of a “dream within a dream” easy enough to understand?
Yes, I like that concept very much, although I do wonder whether at the end of the game we would really know what is a "dream within a dream" and what is just a dream. Also, we see from the protagonist's perspective, correct? Will we be able to see the "dream within dreams" of the other characters? Will the other characters' desires change the outcomes as well?

What do you think in regards to the plot and themes? Are they interesting or too confusing?
I think they are interesting, although it may be challenging to portray them in the game. Would getting a good ending require that the player resolves what is a "dream within dream" and what actually occurred in the dream world? For that matter, are there specific good endings (or a true ending), or are the endings up to interpretation?

That's all for now. Good luck with your game and hoping to play it when it does get released!

ariana.ravensford
Regular

#14 Post by ariana.ravensford »

we see from the protagonist's perspective, correct?
Yes. Players get to see her thoughts and her narration of what's going on, and at the beginning of each chapter, there is a bit of narration from a character who is telling the story overall. (It's called the Morpheandir Tales due to the fact that the premise of the series is that someone else is telling the stories, and though players get to see and play through everything from the main character's POVs, every now and then the person who's regaling us with the story makes some comments at intermission points for some further clarification or setting the scene for the next chapter (such as, for instance, telling how much time may have passed if there's a brief time skip).) But it should be easy to tell when the storyteller is talking rather than Mika, as the screen goes fully black. (The only time it does so.)
Will we be able to see the "dream within dreams" of the other characters?
Players won't specifically see them, as, like mentioned before, while in the chapters, everything is solely in Mika's POV. However, due to the comments and interactions between the characters, the player can piece together an idea of what the other character's dreams within dreams are.
Will the other characters' desires change the outcomes as well?
As a player, a lot of choices that you make in the game eventually lead to one of many major plot points that determine the nature of how the other characters will act and develop. This makes their interactions with both Mika and the other characters different, and it can change what their own desires and secrets are that become their own dreams within dreams. Since the endings are based on the main characters' relationships with each other and what choices Mika makes throughout the game, the answer would be yes.
I do wonder whether at the end of the game we would really know what is a "dream within a dream" and what is just a dream.
At the end of the game, I would say the majority of what are the "dreams within dreams" will be heavily implied to have been such, especially with how each epilogue chapter will play out. However, with some of the more subtle ones, it is left for the player to pick and choose.
Would getting a good ending require that the player resolves what is a "dream within dream" and what actually occurred in the dream world? For that matter, are there specific good endings (or a true ending), or are the endings up to interpretation?
A few of the endings are obviously good, a few of them obviously bad, but most are more neutral, with both good and bad things occurring in them (and a few ambiguous things too). But I'm going to leave it for the players to decide which ending would be the true ending. Whichever one each individual person likes the most is the true ending, I guess, in that reasoning. I have my own personal favorite, but that doesn't mean that it's the one that every person would like and the one they would perceive as being the "true ending".
I think they are interesting, although it may be challenging to portray them in the game.
Yeah, I've had a lot of problems in development for having to code what seems like the same event multiple times, but with minor differences each time. It can get a little tedious after a while, but that's what people call a labor of love. To me, it'll be all worth it in the long run, though. :)

I hope this resolves at least most of your questions, and thank you for your well wishes! Good luck on your own game as well. :D
Current Project~

ariana.ravensford
Regular

#15 Post by ariana.ravensford »

A new screenshot, since azureXtwilight finished the side sprite for Mika. The first one is the original version which I had made, and the second one is the enhanced version to implement the suggestion of making the colors more vivid when in Morpheandir. I hope you guys enjoy seeing the new sprite, as well as the difference between the original versus the new versions. Oh, as a side note, screenshot 2 has the same location, but it is at night time. I will be enhancing that one for the actual game as well.
screenshot3.PNG
screenshot4.PNG
Current Project~