Roleplay Chat [Dropbox/Network Chat] [Script Builder]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
greyinthedark

Roleplay Chat [Dropbox/Network Chat] [Script Builder]

#1 Post by greyinthedark »

- What Is Roleplay Chat? -

Roleplay Chat is a chat application built inside the ren'py interface which allows you to chat with your friends or team makers using the same sprites, emotions and poses that you use in your visual novel. It was specifically designed for use with Dropbox, but it can be used as a straight network chat by anyone willing to set up an open drive on their computer.

- Why does this exist? -

I already had a much simpler python chat program kicking around, and when my team hit a lull I decided to transfer it over - mainly because Ren'py widgets are about 400% prettier than those found in more common python interfaces. Once I got that working, it was easy to set up characters and emotions to work with the existing chat system. Also, it's crazily fun to play with, so there's that.

- Features -

- Roleplay with friends - see your characters and emotions as the players will see them. Write comments that won't show in the script to discuss things with your fellow writers.
- Roleplay alone - who says one is the loneliest number? Someone without five personalities to play with, that's who. Switch between characters as you type using hotkeys.
- Just chat - use your own custom sprite sets to make the frown your friends are seeing the one that you've always wanted them to see.

- Dynamic positioning - characters shuffle around on screen as new characters are added or disappear. Can be disabled.
- Set up multiple chat sessions - make a chat for every path in your game. Chats stick around until deleted, so you can come back to them at any time.
- Set up your own image declarations or let the program output them for you.
- Replay scenes from the start and edit as you go.
- Output chat sessions as ren'py scripts - Outputs character names, moods, positions, and dialogue as ren'py code under a label corresponding with the name of the chat. Drop your image declaration and these rpy files into your main directory and there you go.

- Screenshots -

(Note: All screenshots use random resources)

- Why are you putting this here? / How did this go horribly wrong? -

Basically, I don't think things through: I took an upgraded roleplaying application and handed it to a couple of writers who participate in over ten different roleplaying communities between them. Even as I type this, they're in Dropbox redoing what seems to be the entirety of Supernatural using a ridiculous mixture of screen caps and fan art. If I ever make this into a GIF-maker, any chance of us making an actual game will be gone forever. :D However, since the monster is already out of the grave, I figured there was no (additional) harm in shining up the bolts a bit and setting it loose on the world.

- Goals / Comments Wanted -

This topic will be used to track progress towards what I'd call a finished application. If it turns out that other people might want to use this as well, I'd love to get suggestions from the community in terms of features they'd like to see. For example, right now it won't let you create options and menus. Should it? No clue.

- Things I'm Definitely Going to Do -

- Add an easier positioning system that can be manipulated without going to a seperate menu.
- Finish modfying the input text field - right now I've added bolding, pasting from the clipboard, and the ability to use the arrow keys to go back and edit using both backspace and delete. Still need to add scrolling and dynamic window sizing.
- Add a way to set up more detailed character definitions.
- Add an interface that will make the chat look like a standard visual novel - that is, only displaying the last comment made.
- Test the background, scene and label declaration functions more rigorously.
- Write documentation while I still remember how it works.

- Things I Might Do -

- Add a way to write menu choices while in a chat.
- Add a way to jump between labels while in a chat.
- Add a notification message when something is written in a chat you're not monitoring.
- Add the ability to partially rewind a chat and make modifications.
- Add the ability to import a python script / run snippets from within the application.
- Change the colour theme to something other than mint chocolate, which I personally like but which seems to be repulsive to others.

If I've been terribly confusing or forgotten to address the obvious, please do let me know. Actually, any comments or questions are more than welcome!

pwisaguacate
Veteran

Re: Roleplay Chat [Dropbox/Network Chat] [Script Builder]

#2 Post by pwisaguacate »

Whoa, real-time multiplayer collaboration VN scripter?!

This isn't the most practical way for people do things together (e.g. Google Doc'ing) for serious development, but I suppose we could mess with it for kicks, especially--let's say--after assets are done and we wish to show off / play with some goodies.

greyinthedark

#3 Post by greyinthedark »

@pwisaguacate
Oh, definitely. I think this is most useful (and fun) after the plot is developed and at least some assets are in place. For my team, we wanted something that would let us write dialogue in a more natural manner as well as letting us mess around with scenes that'll never be in the game in order to get a better sense of the characters and their quirks. My writers are roleplayers, so they like acting out scenes rather than writing them individually... and I like hanging out and watching the process! I suspect we'll be chatting as these characters years after this project is done since we all already have our favorites. :D

...hmm. You say multiplayer, and I wonder whether I could tweak this to let two people play the same visual novel together while seeing different plot points and scenes. Probably yes, eh? That'd be fun to do with a friend that had the same reading speed as you, especially if you could make it adversarial... I'd want a server for that one, though... (Okay, so maybe my writers are not unique for being easily distracted. )

vividXP
Regular
Projects: "Almost There" (NanoReno '14)

#4 Post by vividXP »

This is a really really neat idea. Even for people who aren't devs but rpers who just want to go all out with their logs. Wow. Looking forward to seeing this realized.
vividxp.tumblr.com
Wọn ṣe bí òtòṣì ò gbọn bí ọlọrò; wón ní ì bá gbón ì bá lówó lọwọ / People think the poor person lacks the wisdom the wealthy person has; they say if one had wisdom, one would be rich

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#5 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Hmm, one little question that a friend of mine and myself have. When we rp on it and we're done for the day to do something else, would it all be saved in some sort of archives? Or no? I plan to use this myself (for when I rp alone) for when I "test drive" vn characters so I can get the feel of them, like greyinthedark said. Asking if it would save so I can look it up as a type of reference if I've been on hiatus or really busy.

Unless you already stated that in the output chat sessions as renpy scripts part?

Edit: And I just realized you ARE greyinthedark. My bad.
ImageImageImageImage

greyinthedark

#6 Post by greyinthedark »

@vividXP
Thanks! I'd be really chuffed if people actually got some use out of it, as usually I specialize in making impractical bits of software that I then forget about when distracted by something else. :D (If it does wind up being used, I will definitely put in an export to gif or animated canvas, since I love watching that kind of thing.)

@Sunlit-dreamer
No worries - I was speaking of my writers at that point anyway, as the nifty subject of roleplaying is something that is sadly lost on me. I'm told that I always sound like myself, which... yes. Unfortunate. And not really what you want for multiple characters. Chat's are persistent - you can have as many as you want, and they'll only be deleted if you do so yourself. You can come back to your chat in one of three ways:

a) if you've output it as a ren'py script, dropping it into your game folder will make it available to you as a scene and it can be viewed in your game. Or you can just read through the script that outputting will create, which looks just like a standard ren'py script.

b) if you want to continue it as a session, opening up the chat again will show you all the saved dialogue and allow you to replay it from the start.

c) if you want to edit it, open it up in edit mode and you can go through the scene step by step and change the mood, text, or position of the characters as you go.

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#7 Post by sheetcakeghost »

I don't know how useful this will be for proper script writing, but it'll certainly be a blast to play with or use to develop game ideas. Unfortunately I wouldn't really have a particular need for it, but if it existed I would probably download and play with it anyway.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#8 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Ahh, I see! A big thank you! I showed your reply to my friend and she was VERY happy. The extra happiness is for the ability to edit things. Such possibilities, and of course being able to fix mistakes. We're looking forward to seeing this finished. (Our group of friends is going to "test drive" your app to the max. I will let you know the results in the future of course since feedback is always good.)

And now I have a new question that popped up. How many users would it be able to handle without making it crash? Since there are chats that I've seen that had at least ten or more. I'm not sure if anyone who downloads this would have 9 other friends to download this as well to chat through it for shenanigans, but better safe than sorry.
ImageImageImageImage

AngelicBlood
Regular
Projects: House of Hearts

#9 Post by AngelicBlood »

OMG,I'm so excited to see THAT!

greyinthedark

#10 Post by greyinthedark »

@Serenity Frost
Thanks! And hey now, not having a need for something doesn't matter - if all you do with it is play with it for an evening or use it to make your characters say inappropriate things, well, then I'll be a happy programmer. :mrgreen:

@Sushi-Dreamer
Sounds fabulous - I cheerfully encourage you and your friends to bend, spindle and mutilate this application as best you can, provided you tell me what breaks so I can fix it! Same goes for things you might want, of course. As to the number of people who can play... I have no idea. (Although if nine people were downloading and using this together I might die of glee.)

There's nothing intrinsic to the program that would make it crash - the only thing that increases with the number of players is the unique chat logs being loaded and combined. I'd say ten would probably be fine, as I've played with six, through if everyone was typing short entries at once you might see a lag. The system has a parameter that lets you pick the max amount of characters that can appear on screen, so if you have a max of four, the fifth person will enter on the right and the first person will vanish on the left. With 20, I imagine it would look a bit like a carousel. :lol:

On the other hand, there are things you can do to reduce the number of people. By request I just added a feature that hides whatever character you're currently playing, as per the screenshot(s) below. You can see my screen on the left, where I only see Kat, and Kat's screen on the left where she only sees me. (It's fun because while they're talking to each other, I'm the only one who can see both characters and their movements / expressions. Just like real life! Er, kind of.)

@AngelicBlood
Thank you very much - I'm glad you're looking forward to it, and I hope that you enjoy it when it gets here. :)

Kuzunoha

#11 Post by Kuzunoha »

Wow, this is neat.

I don't roleplay, but this is so useful for character test.

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#12 Post by pickle131 »

I love how unique this looks!! I agree with how this would be perfect for roleplaying as characters to get ideas for scenes. This would help me so much to get out of writer's block.
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#13 Post by Akitsuki »

This sounds different... and absolutely amazing! Kind of a light game you will play when you're bored ^w^
I'll play this for sure! Good luck!

HeavenlyJoker
Regular
Projects: Enora: Monster Academy
Organization: Key Lime
Tumblr: keylimegames

#14 Post by HeavenlyJoker »

This looks like such a cool idea *3* It would be so much fun to participate in roleplays with friends using various sprites~

Ant-san
Regular
Completed: Snowdrop, The Demon Lord is Mine, PrinHero, PreOdyssey
Projects: The Three Princes and Adarna

#15 Post by Ant-san »

Am I reading this right? Is this an RP chat, VN style? :shock:

I'm so watching this 8D

Though, I have a couple of questions...
- Will inserting your own sprites/bgs be easy, even if you have no knowledge in programming/coding? (or at least, how does it work?)
- I used to always RP at Deviantart chatrooms, but it sometimes lags and kicks me out... are there possibilities of those happening here (lagging, crashing, kicking you out...)?
Otome game currently in progress~;)
Feel free to check it out ^_^

Interested in commissioning me?

Finished Project/s:
The Philosopher's War