Destiny Fails Us [Otome|Romance|Slice of Life] Oct. 7

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DestinyFailsUs
Regular
Completed: Destiny Fails Us: A New Life, Make It Last
Projects: Destiny Fails Us: A New Life, Make It Last
Organization: Strawberry Dagger Studio
Tumblr: DestinyFailsUs
Deviantart: DestinyFailsUs
itch: Sbds

Re: Destiny Fails Us [GxB|Dramedy] 11/2

#151 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

I'm sorry that these replies are late, at the beginning of November I spent some time settling into the new apartment and getting things organized, after that I got hit with the flu and it was difficult to get on the forums and make a post. I also just got done with taking a few personal days from the internet due to an urgent personal matter I needed to take care of... but I've been incredibly busy working as well! :D
silverpikachu99 wrote:Holy!! The demo was absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! But, now I want the full game '-' Good job :)
Aw, thanks :D I'm really glad you enjoyed it and I'll do my best to create a full game that you'll love :D
SheerGlade wrote:I learned about DFU on Deviantart and had to play it. I am wholeheartedly anticipating the full release. The amount of effort that's been put into it is jawdropping, and it certainly pays off. The music is not only fitting but gorgeous, the relationships/problems are relatable and interesting, and the characters are adorable and likeable (even James...and uh, the things he does with forks XD I'm really interested to learn more about him...why oh why am I always drawn to characters with a horrendous temper?). The frequent choices and all the features are AMAZING as well; I can't fathom how tedious it must be to get all of those things working properly. o_O

And lastly, the art. AAAAAAAAAAAAH. The GUI is user-friendly and BEAUTIFUL (as are the CGs...love how many there are) and the opening cinematic was wonderful (loved the song). I absolutely ADORE the style you're using for the art...the sprites...CGs...all of it. It's crisp, clean, and cute - totally suited to the story, at least in my opinion.

I enjoyed the fast pace of the demo - all those catastrophes happening in rapid succession truly made me pity Idril ;-; I can't wait to see how the relationships unfold between the characters; you've got an intriguing cast. I wish the demo was longer! XD I can't imagine how much time you spent on it, especially considering the spectacular quality of the work.

I don't have much to offer, but if I can help with anything (from proofreading to beta testing or whatever), you have my support!

And lastly...sorry for the wall of text, but I can blab forever about things I like :'D
As you know, I've already kinda replied to this on deviantart, but again, thank you so much. This made my day so much and I'm absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed it so much. Thank you :D Your excitement is extremely motivating :D
Sharane wrote:I played demo and I´m looking forward to full game! I´m curious how the story will continue. How long the full game will be approximately?
I'm glad you enjoyed the demo! :) The full game is planned to last around 6 months of in-game time, ending sometime in July. You'll get to play through the full second semester of the year, and some of Summer Break.
Itwasneveradream wrote:I've always meant to ask. Since there are people who have no paypal/money (like me TT.TT huhu), would you ever consider holding a fanart competition of some sort where the prize is the game for free? Just asking~
I would love to do a contest, but that would be much closer to the game's release. :)
Kensela wrote:I adore the GUI in this game. Also I usually don't like the 3D anime modelish look in games, but I actually liked the look in this one. I usually think the 3D look in VN makes it look cheap, but looking at your game I can see that there was plenty of work that went into it.
Aw, thanks :) This game means a lot to me, so it's always wonderful to hear that others notice the hard work I'm putting into it. :)
---
Now, enjoy some WIP Previews to some of the backgrounds!
If you'd like to view these at a higher resolution, they can be found here.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

Re: Destiny Fails Us [GxB|Dramedy] 12/25

#152 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

It's been busy here, and I hope everyone is having a great holiday season! Now that I’m getting much closer to checking off all of the school related backgrounds on my list, I thought I’d share some more WIP Previews! These are only one of the available variations in the game, as they can vary between time of day and weather (sunny, rainy, snow).

Here’s some residential backgrounds for characters, and school backgrounds.
Post #1, CLICK HERE for Higher Resolutions.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

This preview set includes some of the sport themed locations, and some of the elective themed locations, as well as the hallway, and the classroom.
Post #2, CLICK HERE for Higher Resolutions.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

These backgrounds are just Works In Progress at the moment and have not been finalized. They are subject to change by the game’s release.

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

Destiny Fails Us [GxB|Dramedy] 1/20

#153 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

January 20th Update
This last month has been incredibly busy around here, I’ve made a lot of progress on quite a few backgrounds since my last Background update, and I thought I’d share how some of them are looking with all of you. I’ll be taking a break from backgrounds for now, and focus on some other aspects of the game.

These backgrounds are all school themed, and showcase some of the areas that you can visit at Moirai High School.
You can find the Tumblr post with higher resolutions of these backgrounds here.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
These backgrounds are of various locations around the town of Moirai and inside Idril’s house.
You can find the Tumblr post with higher resolutions of these backgrounds here.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
These backgrounds are just Works In Progress at the moment and have not been finalized. They are subject to change by the game’s release.

hananoyounikirei
Projects: The Virgin

Re: Destiny Fails Us [GxB|Dramedy] 1/20

#154 Post by hananoyounikirei »

I am so unbelievably excited for this!~
Apologies if you already answered this somewhere, but do you have an estimate on how much this will cost?

I can tell you've put a lot of work into this, and I hope there are people helping you out, otherwise you deserve a reward for doing this all on your own! I haven't even played the demo yet, but I've heard something about a guy and forks so I am really diggin' it so far! :D
I'll edit after I finish the demo!
Xx!

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

#155 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

hananoyounikirei wrote:I am so unbelievably excited for this!~
Apologies if you already answered this somewhere, but do you have an estimate on how much this will cost?

I can tell you've put a lot of work into this, and I hope there are people helping you out, otherwise you deserve a reward for doing this all on your own! I haven't even played the demo yet, but I've heard something about a guy and forks so I am really diggin' it so far! :D
I'll edit after I finish the demo!
Xx!
I'm really happy you're excited, and I hope you enjoy the demo! ^^ No worries, the game will be $15 when it's released, and if you're interested in pre-ordering I'm accepting PayPal donations.

I do have a few people helping me out with certain things, like the soundtrack and editing, but at the moment the majority of the work is done by myself. Thank you for noticing the amount of work I've put into this game, I'm really trying my best to create something that people can really enjoy! :D

Also, I noticed that this was your first post, so welcome to the forums!

hananoyounikirei
Projects: The Virgin

#156 Post by hananoyounikirei »

I just got around to finishing it a few minutes ago! And wow, can I say, CLIFFHANGER!
It was much better than I expected, I love the whole phone thing and how you can actually reply or choose to ignore, rather than some other VN's where you are only able to read. I also didn't think I'd like the whole 3D effect, but it works perfectly! Idril is adorable in every way, I want all of her outfits! I was quite impressed with James and the whole fork incident, but was even more impressed that Vincent didn't react. Like at all?? And then he just casually walks to the nurses office, even stopping to talk to you for a few minutes?? That is some serious badassery. I'm definitely conflicted between all the options! I was hoping for the option to romance one of the girls, but there's already a lot of bachelors to choose from, and I don't want you to spend more time on the game just to add in a girl romance!

"Other characters can rival you for a bachelor's affection"
I'm seriously excited for this feature! I assume James was a little snippet for what's to come? xD

All in all, I loved the demo, and can't wait for full release!

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

#157 Post by Juneberry »

I really should go find the demo eventually again to go try it finally. It's really sad to me that I haven't even though I've known about the project since before I knew about ren'py and this site by far. -.-
But I love all the work you've shown here too, Destiny. It's really progressing quite well! Keep up the good work! :D

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

#158 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

hananoyounikirei wrote:I just got around to finishing it a few minutes ago! And wow, can I say, CLIFFHANGER!
It was much better than I expected, I love the whole phone thing and how you can actually reply or choose to ignore, rather than some other VN's where you are only able to read. I also didn't think I'd like the whole 3D effect, but it works perfectly! Idril is adorable in every way, I want all of her outfits! I was quite impressed with James and the whole fork incident, but was even more impressed that Vincent didn't react. Like at all?? And then he just casually walks to the nurses office, even stopping to talk to you for a few minutes?? That is some serious badassery. I'm definitely conflicted between all the options! I was hoping for the option to romance one of the girls, but there's already a lot of bachelors to choose from, and I don't want you to spend more time on the game just to add in a girl romance!

"Other characters can rival you for a bachelor's affection"
I'm seriously excited for this feature! I assume James was a little snippet for what's to come? xD

All in all, I loved the demo, and can't wait for full release!
I'm so happy you liked the demo! And don't worry the full game will have plenty of options and choices for you to feel conflicted over, haha. :)

And while there won't be any romance routes with the girls, there will be friendship routes. So you can have a friendship route with the girls, while going through a romance/friendship route with the 6 available boys.

Also the "Other characters can rival you for a bachelor's affection" is more related to the fact that other female characters can 'compete', in a way, for the relationships. Like, for example, Alaska and Alexander. That being said, your example with James is much like the jealousy scenes in the game between characters if you try to pursue more than one character at a time.
Juneberry wrote:I really should go find the demo eventually again to go try it finally. It's really sad to me that I haven't even though I've known about the project since before I knew about ren'py and this site by far. -.-
But I love all the work you've shown here too, Destiny. It's really progressing quite well! Keep up the good work! :D
Thanks, Juneberry! It's been a lot of work, but I'm proud of it so far. I hope you can try out the demo soon!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#159 Post by Rinima »

I played the demo and....
I can't say I'm fond of Idril X.x
Oh well, it was fun to play!
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#160 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Holy cow, those are a ton of backgrounds!

I like the brickwork in the school...it reminds me of my grade schools ages ago. Nostalgic~ <3

Honest Critique

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#161 Post by Steamgirl »

This looks interesting! I'll definitely have to check out the demo. Love the use of Comipo as well. :)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#162 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Hello!

I've been monitoring this project for a while now . . . I'm not sure when the demo was put up (probably ages ago, with my luck), but I just played through it and I'd like to leave feedback.

I wrote down notes as I was playing, so if it's all right, I'll start with those. They do not, by any means, cover every error/issue I found, but hopefully they'll provide a good starting place for corrections to the script:

Fun with homophones:
“beat red”
Beet.
“Suddenly, Vincent rushed passed me with a hoard of girls chasing after him.”
Past. Horde.
“I know that your probably attracted to other boys your age.”
You're.

Common problem # 1: Awkward phrasing.
“I chuckled from watching their conversation and Vincent turned to me and smiled once more.”
I feel this could be reworded so that the language is less choppy. (Possible rewrite: "Their conversation made me chuckle. Vincent turned to me and smiled once more.")

Common problem #2: Misused punctuation and capitalization.
“I want to deal with it later, would you do me a favor and . . .”
Be careful how you use commas. They are not a substitute for periods/full stops. As it is now, this is a run-on sentence. ("I want to deal with it later. Would you do me a favor and . . .?")
“By the way, would you mind if Vincent stayed for Dinner? He's here to help work on our Biology project.”
The nouns "dinner" and "biology" should not be capitalized.
“Just make sure the two of you get it done, so you can finish your other homework too.”
This one's tricky. It's technically not incorrect, but I feel the pause here is unnecessary.
“She physically hurt you, no parent has the right to harm their child like that.”
This is another run-on. ("She physically hurt you. No parent has the right to harm their child like that.")

The other problem here concerns the pronoun "their," but its usage here, while technically incorrect, is becoming more frequent in everyday language. Therefore, I'll leave it alone.
“If that's okay with the Valare's?”
The plural of Vincent's surname is "Valares." The apostrophe makes it into a possessive---one would use it to describe something of Vincent's. (ex. "That's Valare's textbook.")
“Is what I said, but it wasn't what I wanted to do . . . What if it takes to long and I wait for nothing?”
The first part of this quote is a sentence fragment. I realize you're moving directly from Idril's "I understand" into additional text, but it can be better expressed. (Possible rewrite: "That's what I said, but . . .")

"To" should also be "too." (Homophones again!)
“I rushed out of the room, and briskly walked, ignoring my stomach growling loudly. No one was in the hallways anymore, most of the students were now eating or enjoying the weather to match.”
Misused commas make these sentences really messy. And what's with the end of the second one? "To match" doesn't make sense. (Possible rewrite: "I rushed out of the room, ignoring my growling stomach. The hallways were empty. Most of the students were either eating or enjoying the weather.")

Common problem #3: Dangling modifiers / nebulous writing.
“I handed him my art binder, and he skimmed through the pages. Ignoring Brian's shouting from inside the gym. His eyes scanned the last page.”
Eyes cannot ignore. Furthermore, the second sentence is a fragment. (Possible rewrite: "I handed him my art binder and he scanned the pages, ignoring Brian's shouting from inside the gym.")
“I was in Vincent's room for the first time. It would've made me feel giddy on any other occasion, but tonight it felt hollow compared to the rest of my emotions.”
Being in Vincent's room is not an emotion. (Possible rewrite: "I was in Vincent's room for the first time. On any other occasion, I would've been giddy, but tonight, I felt hollow.")
“I stood around patiently, waiting for Alexander to finish up. Glancing around the desk, a shiny pencil holder catches my eye. Looking at my reflection, I noticed the bruise beginning to show back up. I turned my face away, in an attempt to hide the bruise.”
Another dangling modifier. The pencil holder can't glance around the desk. (Possible rewrite: "I waited patiently for Alexander to finish up. As I glanced at the desk, a shiny pencil holder caught my eye. I gasped. The bruise had reappeared! I turned my head, hoping he didn't see.")

Miscellaneous issues:
“Atali finished her last bite and went to the library, leaving Lily and I to protect our food from the vulture that was Alaska.”
"I" should be "me." This is quite a common mistake. People often over-correct when they see accusative case being used because they apply the nominative rule, used for subjects, ("she and I") to accusative case. It's used when a pronoun is a direct object. You wouldn't say "Atali left I to protect our food." You would use "me."
“Samson pushed the cart into the gym, while Brian's screaming echoed and bellowed through the halls.”
Bellowing is an action reserved for animate things like animals or people. Screams can't bellow. (Possible rewrite: "Samson pushed the cart into the gym as Brian's screams echoed through the halls.")
“He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small piece of paper. He quickly writes something down and hands it to me.”
This part is a problem for two reasons. First of all, it's in present tense. The rest of the text is in the immediate past tense. Secondly, there's far too much detail for a simple action. If it were more important to the narrative or characterization, one might use this level of detail, but this just adds clutter to the text. I'll cover this subject in more detail shortly.

General writing tips ("Show, don't tell," improving clarity, sentence structure, and other stuff):
“The victims have all been reported as confiding to members of family or friends . . .”
Why say "members of family" when "family members" serves the same purpose while being more concise?

("The victims reportedly confided to family members and friends that . . .")
“The bruise on my face was throbbing in pain with each of her words.”
This sentence's meaning is a little muddled. Its current structure implies that the words are causing physical pain, but the intended meaning is that the bruise is throbbing while Idril is hearing the words. (Possible rewrite: "The bruise on my face throbbed with pain in time with each word.")
“The smell of dinner had filled the entire house, causing my stomach to remind me that I haven't really eaten anything other than a few small bites at lunch before the huge scene.”
Show, don't tell. Less is usually more, especially for visual novels. Too much text on the screen at one time will break the reader's immersion, and too much unnecessary detail, generally speaking, just makes prose awkward to read!

(Possible rewrite: "The smell of dinner had filled the entire house. I was starving! I h
“He wrote down his phone number on a receipt he pulled out of his pocket and stuck it inside my folder, and he handed it back to me.”
Too many details again. This isn't a critical interaction---you want the focus to be on more important things.

(Possible rewrite: "He wrote down his number on an old receipt and stuck it inside my folder.")
“After a few moments of feeding my tummy, I noticed Lily staring adamantly at me, with a concerned look.”
I know Idril is supposed to be adorable, but no one over the age of five or six should speak like that. (Possible rewrite: "While I ate, I noticed Lily glancing with concern in my direction.")
“Unfortunately, our food and Alaska had disappeared.”
I think the sentence structure could be improved here. As it is now, it's awfully weak. The fact that Alaska has stolen the food should be made clear immediately. (Possible rewrite: "Unfortunately, Alaska had disappeared with our food.)
“I met Vincent at his locker, the light from the sunset landing on his face from the open doorway nearby.”
This needs to be cleaned up. It's too awkwardly composed. And don't be afraid to add a little description here! The sunset is hitting his face. Isn't that a lovely mental image? (Possible rewrite: "I met Vincent at his locker. The golden light streaming in from outside shone on his face.")
“My stomach gave me a painful reminder that Alaska ate my lunch.”
There's no need to dance around the issue. That darn Alaska stole her lunch, and now she's hungry!
“I got up, picking up my glasses as a force of habit, even though I didn't put them on.”
Again, be careful not to overdo the minute details. (Possible rewrite: "I rose, grabbing my glasses. I didn't put them on."
“His arms flew towards me and he pulled me into a tight embrace patting my head. After a few moments he lessened his grip and gently touched the bruise on my face.”
I saved this one for last because I can really hammer home my point about "show, don't tell." This is the money shot! You can get away with more detail here, but take care not to drown out the meaning of the prose.

(Possible rewrite: "Suddenly, he pulled me into a tight embrace and patted my head. After a few (glorious? precious? Pick an adjective!) moments, he lessened his grip and gently touched the bruise on my face.")

Okay! Now that the messy stuff is out of the way, here are my thoughts on the demo as a whole:

The project has a ton of potential, but it's going to need much more work. While the art assets, music, and vocal contributions are clearly top-notch, the writing needs serious polish. Beyond that, I urge you to consider how the game will be structured in terms of building and releasing dramatic tension. I'm . . . honestly not sure how to say this without hurting feelings, but by the time I reached the scene between Idril and her mother, I wasn't shocked. Thanks to Alaska's and James's temper tantrums (and that's putting it mildly), all the potential for later emotional payoff was squandered. If the two earlier scenes were dialed down a lot, the dramatic tension would be better built up, and the last one would have probably elicited a better reaction.

Instead of
threatening to hit someone with a chair
, Alaska could say a few choice words. James's reaction to Vincent and Idril's accidental kiss was pretty much a psychotic break. That is not a normal occurrence. I know Idril's
being abused by her mother
and has emotionally adapted to such behavior, but if I were her, I would be completely terrified of James from that point on. I'm surprised Vincent took that as well as he did, too. And James is supposed to be one of the "obtainables"? You have a very difficult task ahead of you. There's drama, and then there's the risk of glorifying abuse. A solid, trusting relationship between Idril and James, or between Idril and Alaska, should be a very, very difficult thing to achieve after that.

The scene with Brian also raised a few red flags for me. He's less volatile than either Alaska or James, but again, I feel he should not be so easily forgiven for his behavior.

Another thing to note is that Samson seems awfully forgiving of Idril even if the player chooses to use him as a scapegoat during the lunch scene. He has his brief flash of anger, but then it's gone, and he acts just as he does on the other "path." Is he meant to be a doormat, or is this an oversight?

I'm also curious to know where Idril's name is from---particularly her last name. (I recognize Idril from Tolkien lore.) Atali and Alaska have interesting names too, but Idril's last name, to be perfectly honest, sounds like something out of a high fantasy novel. I'm perfectly open to being incorrect. It's not necessarily a criticism; I'm just wondering what brought about the choice because it makes Idril stand out even more.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm fairly certain I've been working on this post for hours. Best of luck with the project!
Last edited by Mad Harlequin on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

#163 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

Rinima wrote:I played the demo and....
I can't say I'm fond of Idril X.x
Oh well, it was fun to play!
Well, I'm glad you had fun playing it :)

Green Glasses Girl wrote:Holy cow, those are a ton of backgrounds!

I like the brickwork in the school...it reminds me of my grade schools ages ago. Nostalgic~ <3
Haha, yeah... And there's still plenty that I haven't shown (not including the time of day/weather variations ^^;) And yeah! I decided to use bricks for the school building because it reminded me of the grade school I went to as well! The school in the game is an older building as well, so I feel like it fits. :)

Steamgirl wrote:This looks interesting! I'll definitely have to check out the demo. Love the use of Comipo as well. :)
Thanks, I hope you enjoy the demo! :)

Mad Harlequin wrote: ...
Thanks for taking the time to write that. I will mention that many of those points/errors were brought up to me and have already been implemented into action for the full game. But it doesn't hurt to hear them again. The full game has had a fair amount of changes since the demo's release in September, and I'm doing my best to make this game great - so thank you.

I also would like to make a point really quickly to mention that 'glorifying abuse' is not the intention and there are scenes in the full game that make that incredibly clear. Also, a lot of this demo was based on real life moments in my boyfriend's life and my life, including the fork stabbing and the chair. ^^;
Mad Harlequin wrote:I know Idris is supposed to be adorable, but no one over the age of five or six should speak like that.
I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to bring this up, haha.

Anyway, when I first wrote that, I thought it was going to be changed in the editing sessions. However, when we were editing it, we had a long discussion and decided to keep it in there. While I agree, the sentence can be changed around to sound better, the fact that she uses 'tummy' in her thoughts serves a purpose: Even though Idril sees herself as mature (like most teenagers do), she is still a kid and still thinks in a juvenile way at times. Sometimes it's easier on yourself to think in the terms of a child, as childhood is generally much less stressful. It's safer to get away with in your thoughts because the only person listening is yourself.
Mad Harlequin wrote:Another thing to note is that Samson seems awfully forgiving of Idril even if the player chooses to use him as a scapegoat during the lunch scene. He has his brief flash of anger, but then it's gone, and he acts just as he does on the other "path." Is he meant to be a doormat, or is this an oversight?
Samson is very meek and a bit of a pushover at the start of the game, and a lot of every character's route involves finding who they really are. They all find themselves differently based off of the events that happen to them in particular. None of these characters are meant to be perfect, in fact that's quite the opposite. They're meant to grow as the story goes on.
Mad Harlequin wrote:I'm also curious to know where Idril's name is from...
'Idril' was actually my great great grandmother's middle name. Ar'Feinel was the last name of a character in a modern short story that my Dad wrote when I was younger.

The reason I chose these names when creating the character was that:
Idril's story is based on a lot of my life, and I was named after my great great grandmother.
The character with the Ar'Feinel last name goes through a lot of the same themes that Idril goes through in Destiny Fails Us.

And while I had already liked these two names together (for both the personal meaning and how they sound together), I also did purposely choose a name that stood out from the crowd. The reason for that is that I usually go by a first name that has an unusual spelling that people always spell wrong or feel the need to point out. Even if it's not shown in the demo (because a majority of the people she interacts with she already knows), Idril does receive similar comments.
Mad Harlequin wrote:Best of luck with the project!
Thank you, I'll do my best.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#164 Post by Steamgirl »

This is the roller coaster I went on as I was playing the demo. :)
- Cute kissing scene to start with, I like Vincent already.
- Aha, we meet the friends. Seems like they've known each other for a long time and have a daily routine.
- The ginger is kinda cute... hope my friend gets round to liking him back.
- We meet more boys. The characters so far seem a bit samey. Except for the angry girl - she has an anger management/aggression problem or something. Though he obviously had it coming.
- OMG! Who stabs someone with a fork over a girl that doesn't even feel the same way about you? I mean, posessive much?
- Sheesh is Vincent a jerk or what! Not sure I want to date him anymore. This blonde guy openly shouts that he thinks of Idril as a piece of property that belongs to him, which in this day and age is frankly rediculous. I chose the firm approach - she's not aggressive or rude or anything. And then Vincent is like "oh you were too harsh?". Please go back to your prehistoric cave and drag women around by their hair going ugga-bugga you fossilised poopyface.
- A bad grade in Biology huh... hope I'll get a chance to rectify that.
- Hmmm wish I could just show mum the report card... best to be honest.
- OH NO! WHAT THE?!?! She HIT her? Sudden outburst of violence! Has she done this in the past?
- Aw, maybe I like Vincent after all. Him and Idril have a lot of shared history and he is kinda sweet...
- Like the dad. I'm sure the mum didn't mean it - it doesn't sound like this happens to Idril daily. A report card seems a bit too trivial for the mum to fly off the wall about though, or a first kiss... I wonder if the mum has some sort of personal problem. Like maybe she got fired or something.
- Oh noes! Vincent wants to break up over this? I understand his reasoning but... that's so unfair!
- That Samsung. What was he doing coming into the shower anyway?
- Ugh, why did she tell the blondie that they broke up!! Stay away from the guy and don't give him any further ideas!
- Oh, her mum hit her because the kid said she hated her? Yeah - mum's definitely got something going on in her life if she's not be able to shrug that one off. Maybe her boss bullies her or something.
- Alaska steals food? First the chair, now food stealing... That girl's got problems.
- I decide to go to the library and the college student seems pretty decent. I half want to root for him and Alaska, but she's not that nice so maybe not.
- Aw, dad is nice. I'm gonna have dinner together with him.
- Lol, dad is going to have "the conversation". Hope I get the chance to confide in him that it's over... Nope, annoyingly not. Hrn.
- Yay I like this do my homework thing... finally I get to make some improvements in Idril's life.
- Oh, text the library guy, good idea. O.o Shorty? I like this texting thing only I wish I had more choice in what to text back...
- Creepy stalker alert! Vaguely reminds me of Nicole (the VN).
- Oh noes! It's the end of the game! Cliffhangerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Things I liked:
- The UI and the general level of polish, with blinking and nice transitions, etc.
- The way the bruise kept reappearing on the character's face felt really unique.
- The phone as a one-stop check-your-status sort of device and the txt messages.
- The game generally.

Things I disliked:
- Characters seemed a bit samey and predictable (except when they fly totally off the handle). Couldn't get a clear sense of their personality/motivation.
- I noticed that if I used scrollback after reading my txt messages it would make them pop up as new again - which is mildy annoying. I just wanted to remind myself what the characters last spoke about. So then I'd go back into the phone again, read them all. Then come out and scroll back to remind me what I was doing and... oh... I need to read them. Again. It's really minor and I can see the advantages of having it the way it is - but I would prefer it if read messages stayed read even if I scroll back a sentence or two.

Would I buy the game? I don't know... maybe. It definitely has a lot of promise and great polish. I just wish I found the characters more interesting... perhaps it has been too long since I was last a teenager...

Anyway, good luck with it! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#165 Post by Mad Harlequin »

DestinyFailsUs wrote: Thanks for taking the time to write that. I will mention that many of those points/errors were brought up to me and have already been implemented into action for the full game. But it doesn't hurt to hear them again. The full game has had a fair amount of changes since the demo's release in September, and I'm doing my best to make this game great - so thank you.
Ah, yes, I figured you'd have changed a lot since putting the demo out. But
I also would like to make a point really quickly to mention that 'glorifying abuse' is not the intention and there are scenes in the full game that make that incredibly clear. Also, a lot of this demo was based on real life moments in my boyfriend's life and my life, including the fork stabbing and the chair. ^^;
I'll hold you to that, then. Anyway, I still highly recommend taking a second look at those scenes. I don't dispute that they're based on real events, but again, I think they would serve you better if the dramatic tension were built up slowly so that Idril's confrontation with her mom has more impact. I only have the demo to go on, and I'm sure the final product yields a fuller picture, but this is probably my primary non-technical concern.
I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to bring this up, haha.
Anyway, when I first wrote that, I thought it was going to be changed in the editing sessions. However, when we were editing it, we had a long discussion and decided to keep it in there. While I agree, the sentence can be changed around to sound better, the fact that she uses 'tummy' in her thoughts serves a purpose: Even though Idril sees herself as mature (like most teenagers do), she is still a kid and still thinks in a juvenile way at times. Sometimes it's easier on yourself to think in the terms of a child, as childhood is generally much less stressful. It's safer to get away with in your thoughts because the only person listening is yourself.
True. Just be sure to make that a consistent quirk of hers, then. (And oh my gosh, I just noticed I accidentally called her Idris instead of Idril in my last post . . . for some reason I've had Idris Elba in my head recently. It's probably because I still need to see the Nelson Mandela biopic in which he starred. And Thor, because I've have that on DVR for weeks now and I know he had a role in it too. Dangit, me. :oops:)
Samson is very meek and a bit of a pushover at the start of the game, and a lot of every character's route involves finding who they really are. They all find themselves differently based off of the events that happen to them in particular. None of these characters are meant to be perfect, in fact that's quite the opposite. They're meant to grow as the story goes on.
I wasn't implying that Samson should be perfect. I'm so glad the characters aren't perfect, even if a good number of them need immediate psychiatric help and I remain worried about how so many temperamental characters will create a cohesive narrative.. But I was concerned because I know if I were in that situation, I don't think I could forgive someone that quickly. Idril's forgiveness of her mother I understand, because she's been conditioned to accept the abuse, but what makes Samson tick (besides Lily) hasn't been revealed yet.
'Idril' was actually my great great grandmother's middle name. Ar'Feinel was the last name of a character in a modern short story that my Dad wrote when I was younger.

The reason I chose these names when creating the character was that:
Idril's story is based on a lot of my life, and I was named after my great great grandmother.
The character with the Ar'Feinel last name goes through a lot of the same themes that Idril goes through in Destiny Fails Us.

And while I had already liked these two names together (for both the personal meaning and how they sound together), I also did purposely choose a name that stood out from the crowd. The reason for that is that I usually go by a first name that has an unusual spelling that people always spell wrong or feel the need to point out. Even if it's not shown in the demo (because a majority of the people she interacts with she already knows), Idril does receive similar comments.
All right. Those are all fair points. If the names are significant to you, then by all means, you should use them how you see fit, especially if the other characters will be aware of their uniqueness. If they have a purpose, then that's fine. I was just worried that you might be channeling bad high fantasy. I've played enough VNs and other games using ridiculous, meaningless naming schemes to make that fear a constant.

Steamgirl, I think we must be on the same mental frequency or something, because I had similar thoughts here and I forgot to mention them:
This blonde guy openly shouts that he thinks of Idril as a piece of property that belongs to him, which in this day and age is frankly ridiculous. I chose the firm approach - she's not aggressive or rude or anything. And then Vincent is like "oh you were too harsh?". Please go back to your prehistoric cave and drag women around by their hair going ugga-bugga you fossilised poopyface.
Vincent's reaction to Idril standing up for herself doesn't really cohere with the rest of his behavior. I was actually stunned---I thought he'd be supporting her no matter which approach is used. Now, if Idril had told James to go kill himself by jumping into a pit of starving wolves, then I'd understand hearing "You were too harsh." This schism is further highlighted if
you choose to go to the art room after school and stand up to Brian, who calls Idril many a nasty name before being decked by Vincent, who doesn't upbraid her at all for being firm with the guy.

Anyway, James has to hear the truth in that scene, and sometimes the truth hurts. I think Vincent ought to be aware of this. And considering that he gets
stabbed in the arm with a fork,
Vincent should be more visibly angry with him as well.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain