Destiny Fails Us [Otome|Romance|Slice of Life] Oct. 7

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DestinyFailsUs
Regular
Completed: Destiny Fails Us: A New Life, Make It Last
Projects: Destiny Fails Us: A New Life, Make It Last
Organization: Strawberry Dagger Studio
Tumblr: DestinyFailsUs
Deviantart: DestinyFailsUs
itch: Sbds

Destiny Fails Us [Otome|Romance|Slice of Life] Oct. 7

#1 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

This game will be a commercial release at $15.
If you missed your chance to back this project on Kickstarter, we're still accepting donations via PayPal.
You can also pre-order the game from Itch.io! :)
ImageImage
Destiny Fails Us takes place in the Pacific Northwest in a fictional town of Moirai. It follows the life of Idril Ar'Feinel, a girl who spends too much time with video games and not enough on her homework.
In the beginning of Destiny Fails Us, Idril's time is devoted to friends, video games, and a childhood crush named Vincent. Everything in her life gets flipped upside down all in one day. Suddenly, romance, school work, and friendships have become more complicated and as Idril takes a step back to reassess her life. You, the Player, take the reigns and decide what will become of Idril's teenage years.

Your choices will effect everything from your friendships, social status and love life, to your grades and what events you experience in the DFU world. Are you the type of person who strives to hold on to all of your friends and loved ones, or would you rather ignore the wants and needs of those around you to further your own gain? Either way, it's up to you to decide whether you would like to be the perfect angel, or feed your inner demon.

Destiny Fails Us is an otome game. The story is a mixture of romance, slice of life, and mystery. The game's story takes place in 3 acts. Depending on the choices made in the story, Idril may fall in love with one of the 6 love interests, weaken and gain friendships, and possibly raise her grades or focus on becoming a competitive gamer.

Interested to see what DFU is like for yourself? You can! We have a demo where you can play through the Prologue and the beginning of Chapter 1 available for you to download right now!
Download Here!
Windows, Mac, & Linux
Lint Statistics for the Demo:
The game contains 1,845 dialogue blocks, containing 24,298 words and 128,957 characters, for an average of 13.2 words and 70 characters per block.

The game contains 43 menus, 498 images, and 62 screens.
This demo has been updated as of October 2015.
Please note that the music and art, like the backgrounds, and event scenes, are yet to be finalized. In short, this demo is meant to give you an idea of the full game, but doesn't fully represent the final product that we have in mind.
  • Each bachelor has different friendship and romance routes
  • Friendship routes for the girls
  • Other characters can rival you for a bachelor's affection
  • Texting other characters, or not, to affect your relationships.
  • Increase stats to affect different situations
  • Multiple Endings
*Update 10/7: All characters have been updated.*
The Main Character
Idril Ar'Feinel
Birthday: January 9th

Height: 5’2”
Weight: 131 lbs
Bloodtype: A-

Enjoys: Drawing, Photography, Video Games
Fears: Blood, Heights, Spiders

School Department: Arts
School Club: Art Club

Idril Ar'Feinel is the main character in Destiny Fails Us. Idril struggles with school work and her grades, and plays video games instead of working on her homework. Idril has had a crush on Vincent since the two met when they were little, and when he started going to her school in middle school the two got closer.

-----

Love Interests
Vincent Valare
Birthday: December 19th

Height: 6’
Weight: 135 lbs
Bloodtype: A+

Enjoys: Video Games, Reading, Computers
Fears: Growing Old, Unpredictable people, Turning into his parents.

School Department: Academics
School Club: None, Helps out in the Computer Lab

Vincent is Idril's first kiss, and childhood friend. When he was younger, he lived in the city during the summer time, and became good friends with her. Later, in middle school, his parents got a divorce and he was forced to move away from his father, into his mother's custody in the town that Idril lived in. One day, the two skipped school, and found peace on a usually unoccupied bridge - but when his mother found them on her way home, Vincent and her got into a heated discussion. Later that night, when Idril overhears her parents talking with his mother, stating he had ran way from home, Idril snuck out and found him on that bridge.
--

James King
Birthday: November 4th

Height: 5’9”
Weight: 147 lbs
Bloodtype: O-

Enjoys: Working on Cars, Laser Tag, Nicolette’s Cooking
Fears: Being alone, Cemeteries, Hurting the people he cares about

School Club: Debate Club
Part Time Job: Server at King’s Cafe

James always had a crush on Idril for as long as he could remember. All through out grade school, Idril and him would walk home together, since they lived a few houses away from each other. He always wanted her to be happy, even if it put him off at a disadvantage. However, that all changed when he was forced to move on the opposite end of town, and Idril and Vincent started walking home together by themselves. James eventually becomes best friends with Vincent, and decides to make it clear that Idril was his, especially when he noticed Idril glancing at Vincent in class... But when Vincent steals Idril’s first kiss away from James, James’ jealousy unleashes.
--

Samson Hastings
Birthday: March 7th

Height: 5’4”
Weight: 137 lbs
Bloodtype: AB-

Enjoys: Drawing, Music, Spending time with his family
Fears: Being a burden, Being only partially clothed in public places, Borrowing money

School Department: Sports
School Club: Boy Basketball Team’s Towel Boy

Samson, the king of bad luck, has been in love with Idril’s best friend, Lily, since the beginning of Middle School. During the study night where Idril and Vincent kiss for the first time, he’s over at Lily’s house to study for their project as well. This doesn’t go smoothly, however, when he walks in on Lily while she’s taking a shower. The next day, Lily breaks his heart and says they’re too different to ever be together. Samson grows cold towards Lily when he’s tired of wasting his time on her. Will Samson warm his heart up with Idril? Or fall back into his same routine?
--

Alexander Brooks
Birthday: May 16th

Height: 5’10”
Weight: 140 lbs
Bloodtype: A+

Enjoys: Coffee, Antiques, Random Facts
Fears: Feeling Betrayed, Dropping Out

Major: Literature
Part Time Job: Librarian

The mysterious college student that Alaska stalks, Alexander. Unknowingly, he is watched, day by day, on his commute to school by Idril’s friend, Alaska. One morning, however, while Alaska is watching from the bushes, she sees Alexander walking by with another girl. Idril and Lily hold her back from releasing a violent wrath on him and the girl.

When Idril meets Alexander through Vincent while he’s working at the local library, she decides to keep his full identity secret from Alaska, to keep him safe from her prying eyes.
--

Brian Henry
Birthday: May 8th

Height: 5’8”
Weight: 155 lbs
Bloodtype: B+

Enjoys: Watching sports, Toying with people, Free food
Fears: Being laughed at, Losing, Disappointing everyone

School Department: Sports
School Club: Boys Basketball Team

Brian is the head “jock” at the school. A known bully, and abusive jerk; he’s dating Idril’s friend, Atali. He becomes intrigued with her when she stops him from beating up a kid, by offering to pay for the kid’s lunch money. However, he can’t take her kindness seriously for too long, and starts treating Atali badly. When Idril overhears one of the conversations where Brian talks behind her back, she decides to take matters into her own hands.
--

One-Hit-Wonder Boy
Birthday: April 24th

Height: 5’6”
Weight: 122 lbs
Bloodtype: O+

Enjoys: Dancing, Elaborate Plans, One Liners
Fears: Feeling forgotten, Losing his lucky sock, The arcade closing

School Club: Student Council - President
Part Time Job: Arcade Employee

One-Hit-Wonder Boy is the student council president at Moirai High School. There aren't many people he considers true friends of his, with the exception of his neighbor Harley. The students at MHS gave him the nickname "One-Hit-Wonder Boy" when they noticed that he always popped into conversations saying old jokes or singing "One-Hit-Wonder" songs.

-----

Best Friends
Lily Day
Lily has always tried to keep Idril's best interests at heart. The two have been best friends since they were in Kindergarten, and it wasn't hard to figure that out. As they got older, Lily got increasingly popular as the years went by. Samson had always been "in love" with Lily, and he would constantly get shot down. During their study night session, Samson walked into the wrong room, accidentally walking in on Lily while she was in the shower. Lily, deathly embarrassed, finally turned him down for good after this - because they are in "two different worlds" as she put it. However, was her rejection really final?
--

Alaska Price
Alaska had moved into town a few years ago to live with her grandma. In that time, she has taken quite a liking to a local college student, Alexander. So much so, in fact, that she followed him every day from the bushes before school, just to see him. The morning after Idril's first kiss, Lily and Idril find Alaska once again watching Alexander from a distance, only this time - he was with another girl. Alaska freaked out, violently yelling "I'll make him like me!" and "He will be mine!" which shattered her 'cute' appearance with her violent nature.
--

Atali Evans
Atali is the epitome of "killing with kindness." She believes that good is in everyone, and she gives people the benefit of the doubt, even when they don't deserve it. Currently, she is dating the top player on the basketball team which she manages, Brian. The two started dating after she broke up a fight between him and another student by offering her own money to compensate for the other student's lunch money.

-----

Supporting Characters
Harley Brisby
One-Hit-Wonder Boy’s Best Friend. Harley is on the track team at Moirai High School.
--

???
The Girl that Alexander has been seen hanging around with.
--

Larissa Reynolds
Larissa moved to Moirai during her Freshman year, one year ago. Larissa is on the Newspaper Staff and spends her free time writing a book of her own.
--

Nicolette King
Nicolette is James’ twin sister. Even though she argues with James on a daily basis, the two care for each other greatly.
--

Jake Allred
Jake is Brian’s closest friend. He doesn’t seem to fond of Brian’s bullying, but will back Brian up if he gets in trouble.
--

Erin
Erin is an upperclassmen that Idril meets at Moirai High School.
Some of the artwork from this game is created with the help of Sketchup, Blender, Photoshop, Sai, Lumion, and 3DS Max. The artwork is a mixed media of 3D renders and hand drawn features using my Wacom Graphire4 Tablet.
Last edited by DestinyFailsUs on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 49 times in total.

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

Re: Destiny Fails Us [GxB|Friendship|Dramedy] [Commercial]

#2 Post by fioricca »

Other characters can rival you for a bachelor's affection
Are you serious?! :D That's really exciting!I've been following you on Tumblr, and I can tell that you're putting in a lot of effort into this. I'm excited to see it finished! Good luck!

Armee
Veteran

#3 Post by Armee »

I have to clean my glasses. This amazed me when I saw it. Because I'm in Idril's position right now. ; 3 ; bad grades. Anyway, like fiorcicca said, this is awezome xF Wish you good luck!

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#4 Post by pickle131 »

This is absolutely adorable! Will keep my eye on this.
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

Chaotic
Regular

#5 Post by Chaotic »

Ara! This looks very interesting indeed! May I ask though...do you have an idea of what the price will be? :3

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

#6 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

Chaotic wrote:Ara! This looks very interesting indeed! May I ask though...do you have an idea of what the price will be? :3
Thank you for your interest! :D The price will be around $10 to $15 :)
fioricca wrote:
Other characters can rival you for a bachelor's affection
Are you serious?! :D That's really exciting!I've been following you on Tumblr, and I can tell that you're putting in a lot of effort into this. I'm excited to see it finished! Good luck!
Yup! The rival storylines are one of my favorite parts that I'm working on right now. And thanks! I'm putting everything I have into making this game. It has pretty much became my full time job. I even had a dream last night that I was coding out scenes. Haha :)

I was too nervous on tumblr to officially thank you for following me (I'm really shy and I adore the work I've seen you do), but thank you so much!

Armee wrote:I have to clean my glasses. This amazed me when I saw it. Because I'm in Idril's position right now. ; 3 ; bad grades. Anyway, like fiorcicca said, this is awezome xF Wish you good luck!
I completely understand. One time, I hid my report card for weeks, with no real plan in the long run. My dad likes to remind me of that still...

Thank you very much! :D I'm really happy you think it's awesome :D
pickle131 wrote:This is absolutely adorable! Will keep my eye on this.
Aw, thank you! :D I'm really excited to hear that!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#7 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Wow, this looks amazing! I will be stalking...er...watching this thread. (:

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

#8 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:Wow, this looks amazing! I will be stalking...er...watching this thread. (:
Thank you so much! :D

Kristi78968

#9 Post by Kristi78968 »

Holy snap...It looks so AWESOME! Any idea when you think this will be released? :)

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

#10 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

Kristi78968 wrote:Holy snap...It looks so AWESOME! Any idea when you think this will be released? :)
Thank you! :D
As for the release date... It's unknown for the time being, but I do plan on having a fully functional demo for the prologue & the first day done by the end of may.

Adoxographist
Regular

#11 Post by Adoxographist »

Hehehe, I've actually seen a fair number of your posts on tumblr in the visual novel tag. It's cool to see you've made a forum post here!
Aaaalllsssooo... If you're ever in the need for a voice actress, I'd be more that happy to help? OVO

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

#12 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

Adoxographist wrote:Hehehe, I've actually seen a fair number of your posts on tumblr in the visual novel tag. It's cool to see you've made a forum post here!
Aaaalllsssooo... If you're ever in the need for a voice actress, I'd be more that happy to help? OVO
Yeah, I wanted to wait on the forum post here until I was at a certain point :) I figured it was finally the right time. :D And I will be holding auditions for voice actors once I get a little farther along, so I'd be really happy if you'd try out! :D

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#13 Post by ShippoK »

I find this to be an amazing usage of Comipo!
I'm surprised that many people don't use it this program. (Well, it is pretty pricey...)

I admit, it has that incredibly cheesy high school anime thing going for it... But I still find myself very interested in it none the less.
It might be the use of Comipo!, it really lure's me in for some reason.

Hope everything works out well when making this, you're putting a lot on your plate with all these added extra's.
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

DestinyFailsUs
Regular

#14 Post by DestinyFailsUs »

ShippoK wrote:I find this to be an amazing usage of Comipo!
I'm surprised that many people don't use it this program. (Well, it is pretty pricey...)

I admit, it has that incredibly cheesy high school anime thing going for it... But I still find myself very interested in it none the less.
It might be the use of Comipo!, it really lure's me in for some reason.

Hope everything works out well when making this, you're putting a lot on your plate with all these added extra's.
Well, Comipo has a stigma to it in the webcomic community, as a lazy 'quick' program, and I know a fair amount of people that are afraid to use it.
I've actually been targeted in the past by a comic hosting forum, messaging me over and over that I should "kill myself" just because I posted some of my work on the site.
I do spend hours on each of the pieces I work on though, using blender for custom items, and the extensive use of photoshop to paint the lighting and extra details in. :) I try to make my work stand out even though I'm using the 3D program, and I really strive to put in the same amount of effort that I would into my actual drawings.

Quite a few of the events that I have written into the game are based off of real life situations that I have personally went through while I was in highschool, so I hope that keeps it from being the total "cheesy high school anime" cliche. But I'm happy that you're interested in it none the less :D

Thanks :) I have confidence that I'll be able to handle it. I have most of the extras outlined out, and a plan of action for each feature. :D I'm doing most of the by myself, but my boyfriend is here to help me out when I need it. :)

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#15 Post by ShippoK »

DestinyFailsUs wrote: Well, Comipo has a stigma to it in the webcomic community, as a lazy 'quick' program, and I know a fair amount of people that are afraid to use it.
I've actually been targeted in the past by a comic hosting forum, messaging me over and over that I should "kill myself" just because I posted some of my work on the site.
But thats what the program was made for! I didn't think it was so forbidden by others you be threaten using such a thing.
It's like saying you should 'go die' if you use any of the filters Photoshop/gimp gives you.

I swear, some people. :?
DestinyFailsUs wrote:
I do spend hours on each of the pieces I work on though, using blender for custom items, and the extensive use of photoshop to paint the lighting and extra details in. :) I try to make my work stand out even though I'm using the 3D program, and I really strive to put in the same amount of effort that I would into my actual drawings.
It shows, I've looked around your site and you put a lot of effort into the comics.
I end up having a smile on my face with some of the silly things happening in it.

The CG's you've posted really grab my attention as well, they actually CG's you see in a Visual Novel.
DestinyFailsUs wrote:
Quite a few of the events that I have written into the game are based off of real life situations that I have personally went through while I was in highschool, so I hope that keeps it from being the total "cheesy high school anime" cliche. But I'm happy that you're interested in it none the less :D
I don't mean any offense on the high school anime cliche comment I made, I'm quite a hypercritical person sense what I'm making also has such cliche in my NV. I actually never minded it to much and done right it can be quite fun to have around.
The only time I hate that cliche is when Aliens or Robots become involved and everything just gets so wonky to a point that I wonder why they still go to school with all these messed up stuff happening!?

So, pretty much almost every anime ever to exists with this turns me off. (Unless it's a parody or pure Comedy).

But if you say it's based on real life situations then you just brought up my interest in this a little more. 8)
DestinyFailsUs wrote:
Thanks :) I have confidence that I'll be able to handle it. I have most of the extras outlined out, and a plan of action for each feature. :D I'm doing most of the by myself, but my boyfriend is here to help me out when I need it. :)
No problemo! It's always nice to have back-up when working on such a big project like this.

P.s.
How the heck do you pronounce Idril's name, it has me in a major loop here!
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'