Black Rosette PROJECT CANCELLED!!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
bunbun
Regular

Re: Black Rosette[GXB][otome][UP. 3]Alice & Queen sprites!PA

#76 Post by bunbun »

Hmm...It's very hard since they all look good.
I usually have one specific character who I like the most but not this time.
You made them all sexy and attractive!!!!

I think I will have to play the game to know their personality before deciding whose path I want to play since I like them all >w<
WIPS

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#77 Post by RunicV »

Oh, wow. I don't think I've commented on this thread before, but I wanted to say that your game looks absolutely gorgeous.

I really have to commend you for making a game all by yourself, and also in a language that's not your native language! You're really amazing to have worked this far. The art is just lovely, and doesn't look amateur at all. It looks very professional, and I love your usage of textures and gradients. They're not over-the-top, but they're not too subtle either. It provides a really lovely balance and tone.

I'm not sure if others have answered it yet, but for the background in the screenshot where Alisa is talking to her mom, you shouldn't use backgrounds that are a different viewpoint from the character. It makes them look awkward. For example, if you have a background of a zoom-in on a desktop, and you suddenly place a sprite there, it'll look really weird. You should try to make your backgrounds have a simple one-point or two-point perspective. If it's hard to understand, I'll try to look for images to show you what's wrong.

So far you have an interesting cast of characters. I'm glad you didn't make Alice the main character this time. Your game seems to be loosely based of Alice in Wonderland, so it can go anywhere from what I've seen so far. Right now Alice looks a bit out of place, seeing as everyone else has a role, and the generals seem to be focused on the Queen. I'm interested in how you're going to play with Alice and Alisa, haha...

All your characters so far a really interesting, and they seemed to be evenly developed! Normally I'd be interested in only a few, but I'm interested in all of them. I'm wondering why only Kain has a last name, though?

Hmm, some things which I think you might have to look out for:

-Story > Romance
Your story seems to be a bit complicated, so you might end up focusing more on the story than the romance aspect. While that may not be a bad thing, the romance aspect might seem tacked on, so keep an eye out on balancing both! One otome game that suffered from that was Days of the Divine, where the romance was just a jump from friendship to love at the epilogue.

-Unbalanced/unreasonable choices
Since the story is difficult, if you're going to make the player choose choices that might change the fate of what happens to the Queen and the generals, you'll have to be careful not to make the choices random. You'll need to give the player enough information to decide what's happening and what to do, and make sure they know why their choice gave them which outcome. If not, your game could become difficult and frustrating to play. One otome game that's an example of this is The Knife of the Traitor. It was really hard to decide which choice landed you on whose route, and a walkthrough was needed.

-Too much/too little worldbuilding or too much/too little about the world
The world you've made is different from the normal world, so it's important to worldbuild a little and establish how the things work in your world. One trap you might fall into is giving people too much info about your world, and boring them as it's not relevant to the story. Try to state only what is relevant, but if you skimp too much, players might feel like it's the same as the normal world. That won't be good either, so try to find a balance!

That's about all the advice I have for you. Good luck with your game, and don't give up! It looks beautiful, and you've put in a lot of effort from what I've seen.
If you need any help or advice, don't be afraid to ask on these forums~! :D
<3
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

shilkefair
Regular
Completed: Winter Bliss~meeting you~
Projects: Black rosette [VN], Selene

#78 Post by shilkefair »

@try10
Cull is just too cute! Even if he is the Queen's advisor I can't help it. I like smart and dangerous guys :oops: .
Fion is loyal and would do ANYTHING FOR THE QUEEN. Just imagine a guy like that only for YOU! Who wouldn't like one? :lol:
Too bad Taika is not pursuable... :(
hahaha, i like smart and dangerous guys tooXD
well even though he is not persuable he plays an important role=D

@iiStarCandy
The art is amazing! Personally I really like Kain. I also like how you designed Chester, with the cat eared hoodie and all. ^^ It's also nice how you didn't make Alice blonde. Even though blonde Alice is a classic, brown hair works better in my opinion. All in all this game looks really good! I can't wait to play it.
thank you=D glad you like kain and chester design^^
yeah i see alot of blonde alice in otome game as well so i make her hair brown, i'm glad you liked it :D

@bunbun
Hmm...It's very hard since they all look good.
I usually have one specific character who I like the most but not this time.
You made them all sexy and attractive!!!!
I think I will have to play the game to know their personality before deciding whose path I want to play since I like them all >w<
Thank you very much for liking all of them :D
it makes me motivated hearing it! :D

@RunicV
I really have to commend you for making a game all by yourself, and also in a language that's not your native language! You're really amazing to have worked this far. The art is just lovely, and doesn't look amateur at all. It looks very professional, and I love your usage of textures and gradients. They're not over-the-top, but they're not too subtle either. It provides a really lovely balance and tone.
first of all thank you very much for giving me such a detail feedback and advice :D
even though english is not my native language, it wont stop me making this game :D and besides here on this forum everyone is really supportive and nice and even offering help :D and now i got help from someone for the writer part(but she still busy at the moment so the story might take alittle while to write)
I'm not sure if others have answered it yet, but for the background in the screenshot where Alisa is talking to her mom, you shouldn't use backgrounds that are a different viewpoint from the character. It makes them look awkward. For example, if you have a background of a zoom-in on a desktop, and you suddenly place a sprite there, it'll look really weird. You should try to make your backgrounds have a simple one-point or two-point perspective. If it's hard to understand, I'll try to look for images to show you what's wrong.
haha, yeah your right about that, but don't worry i've been working on redoing the background especially the bedroom.i'll make it one-point or two point perspective like you've said :D
So far you have an interesting cast of characters. I'm glad you didn't make Alice the main character this time. Your game seems to be loosely based of Alice in Wonderland, so it can go anywhere from what I've seen so far. Right now Alice looks a bit out of place, seeing as everyone else has a role, and the generals seem to be focused on the Queen. I'm interested in how you're going to play with Alice and Alisa, haha...
haha,there are to many games where alice is the main chara so i didn't want that, i'm guessing it would be interesting if alice is not the main chara, we need a little something different right? :D
yeah like you said alice looks out of place right now but she plays an important role as the game progresses :D
All your characters so far a really interesting, and they seemed to be evenly developed! Normally I'd be interested in only a few, but I'm interested in all of them. I'm wondering why only Kain has a last name, though?
Thank you very much for having interest in them all :D
i didn't think anyone would notice that :D but there's a reason why kain has a last name:D well i cant tell you about it yet though :wink: still kinda a little blurry about his story,haha..

and thank you so much for your advise it's really helpful and making it clear of what i have to do to the story.
And i'll be careful on balancing both story and romance :D

for the choice, i'm not gonna make it random :D
like you said the game could become difficult and frustrating to play if there's to many random choices and i don't want that :)

for the world i'm just gonna told what's important about it and what's been happening lately, i don't really want to told about the world if it's not relevant to the story either:D
That's about all the advice I have for you. Good luck with your game, and don't give up! It looks beautiful, and you've put in a lot of effort from what I've seen.
If you need any help or advice, don't be afraid to ask on these forums~! :D
<3
thank you very much for the advise and the support!i really appreciate it! :D

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#79 Post by Akitsuki »

This looks totally awesome! I can't believe I haven't commented on this after I opened this topic many times //stalker
Working alone sounds difficult, but I know it's not impossible! Good luck with everything~

CatyCats
Regular

#80 Post by CatyCats »

How is it going??? Renpy is a little bit complicated,but you'll get used to it :D

shilkefair
Regular

#81 Post by shilkefair »

@Akitsuki
This looks totally awesome! I can't believe I haven't commented on this after I opened this topic many times //stalker
Working alone sounds difficult, but I know it's not impossible! Good luck with everything~
Thank you very much for the support!=D
yeah working alone can get hard sometimes but it's fun at the same time making a game so that everyone can play it=D

@CatyCats
How is it going??? Renpy is a little bit complicated,but you'll get used to it :D
It's fine, black rosette is moving slow but i'm still working on it but i put it on hold coz i'm busy with another short KN that can be or won't be related to black rosette=D thanks for asking though<3

yeah, it's still kinda confusing for me in the GUI part especially for the save and load GUI,it might take me a long time,hahaha
Last edited by shilkefair on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mellanthe
Regular

#82 Post by Mellanthe »

This game looks really interesting!! The art is really refreshing too, with your more paintery style <3
I'll totally keep an eye out for updates so good luck with it!!! :D

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

#83 Post by Kyra10 »

Love the art!
I decided to drop a comment to show my support.
Good Luck!
I'm really looking forward to this~

naqlada
Regular
Projects: Plenty awesome ones. Search my posts or just ask, won't bite...

#84 Post by naqlada »

Looking good!

Arcanum
Veteran

#85 Post by Arcanum »

I'll participate on the cheering squad as well. Good luck with this project, it looks simply stunning! Your art is gorgeous, and it's amazing that you're doing this all by yourself ˆˆ

jjworks

#86 Post by jjworks »

The art and gui is gorgeous! I'm a sucker for Wonderland things, especially the Cheshire cat, so I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this one. :)

Lyyli
Regular

#87 Post by Lyyli »

Sounds really promising! It has lots of things going that I like. Looking forward to it :)
Meep.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#88 Post by try10 »

How is it going? Any updates?

shilkefair
Regular

Re: Black Rosette[GXB][otome][UP. 4]PAGE 6

#89 Post by shilkefair »

UPDATE 11-10-2013
uwaaa, it's been long since i update Black Rosette><
i was busy with Winter Bliss and kinda forgot to update><
okay so i decided to put SALJU the white king from Winter Bliss as a character in Black rosette as well.
and, i just realized that some of the sprite in Black Rosette need fixing, the one that really needs fixing is kain. i don’t like the old sprite so i will use this brand new ones after i’m done with Winter Bliss. and chester too i will remake his sprite from scratch again X____X
Last edited by shilkefair on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Black Rosette[GXB][otome][UP. 4]PAGE 6

#90 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

I've actually been stalking this thread for awhile but I've never decided to post until now :'D

First of all, amazing art of course. I like Kazuki Yone's art so much so it's quite nice seeing other people's art with similar style.
The character designs are brilliant as well. I'm looking forward for the new sprites too since there's finally a glimpse of the heroine's full clothes. Will you be redoing the others too? Because I think that the one that needs fixing is Alisa's mother. She sort of looks like a guy with a female body but she doesn't seem to play a major part so it wouldn't matter much.

I have no specific thoughts of the story since things would usually take a 180 turn in the full game but I'm really interested to see Alisa's involvement throughout the whole story since she's not Alice. I immediately fell in love at first sight with Fion and I'm most interested with Alice so far :3 (And Chester- God I love his looks <3 )

And I'm really excited to see Salju, both here and in Winter Bliss! :D When does Winter Bliss takes place by the way? I think it's after Black Rosette since he's supposedly the forgotten king but if I'm wrong in any way and if it happens before it, then I'm hoping that there will be references for Ann since it would seem sweet ^^

I think that's all that I have to say. I know they don't help much but I just want to show support since this has so much potential in it and you're making it for free too, what's not to love? ^o^
I'm definitely looking forward for more updates, please keep up the good work! :D