The Taleweaver's Curse [Otome][Fantasy] DEMO UP 07/30

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

The Taleweaver's Curse [Otome][Fantasy] DEMO UP 07/30

#1 Post by merdeamour »

*logo subject to change

DEMO UP! :D
The Story:
Siran was just an ordinary person, someone who didn’t look or act like the princess she was born to be. Only one thing set Siran apartfrom other people—and that was her ability to imagine things into being.

Of course, she can’t imagine herself to look like a princess, or have talents that a princess is supposed to have. She just created imaginary friends for herself, and told stories to herself and they came alive for her.

None in the court knew of this talent, and Siran was thought dull. At fourteen, her father announced that she was betrothed to the prince of Riva, a country with whom Siran’s country has had a feud for a little over a hundred years. The shock of not being a Crown Princess but instead being the bride to a stranger causes Siran’s power to imagine things into being to inexplicably decrease. However, she obeys her father...

Now sixteen, Siran travels across the forests between Riva and Tyrarc, only to be accosted by a bloodbane witch who takes control of her guards with the scheme to impersonate Siran as the princess, and who leaves Siran in the forests to die. The witch, Illace, vows to make Riva and Tyrarc the breeding ground for the witches of her coven. Siran escapes from the forest with the help of her two imaginary friends, Siri and Alcin.

Siran, disguised, tries to figure out a way to overthrow Illace—but how can she, when she can’t even convince herself that she’s rightfully the princess?

As the bloodless bodies of townspeople pile up, and tensions rise against the supposed princess, Siran and her friends, both old and new, must find a way to stop the witch, before the carefully built-up truce between Tyrarc and Riva is sundered, before more people die...

Little does Siran know that she’s up against an enemy even more horrifying than a bloodbane witch...

The Characters

1. Siran - “It’s not a matter of heroics, or duty, or even country—it’s a matter of doing what’s right."
-The MC of our story, Siran is extremely insecure about being a princess. The power to create diminished when she was fourteen, but much to her surprise, Siran and Alcin, out of all her imagined friends, still remained, and can still be called on. She can still create things by thinking of them, but she has a harder time of doing so than she did in the past.

2. Siri – “Because, imaginary or not, we’re still your friends.”
-One of Siran’s two imaginary friends, Siri represents Siran’s desire of looking and acting like a princess. Emotional and flighty, Siri is still a loyal friend.

3. Alcin [Romanceable] - “Everyone deserves to be happy. I’d rather you thought of yourself as someone belonging to that demographic.”
-The other of Siran’s two friends, Alcin represents Siran’s desire to be strong and be the boy heir her father had hoped her to be. Alcin seems cold at times, but he’s still a dear friend to Siran and has an uncanny ability to know what she’s thinking.

4. Eriond [Romanceable] – “I have no use for humans, anyway. Your pettiness is below me.”
-A fairy Siran meets in the Feruin Forests. Don’t let his pastel-hued wings fool you-- Eriond is an extremely bad-tempered specimen of a fairy. He is a valuable ally, though, as he knows all about bloodbane witches.

5. Basil [Romanceable] – “Beauty? I think beauty is in the kindred spirit. I believe I’d find an old crone beautiful if she were to understand me and take me for me.”
-Basil is an artist who drops by Katya’s tavern and takes an interest in Siran as she works there. Very easy-going and charming, Basil seems to be hiding a secret behind his happy-go-lucky exterior. He is also interested in the spate of bloodless bodies appearing in the streets...

6. Illace “What do you want to live for, Princess? Aren’t you tired of the expectations yet, the impressions people have of you?”
-A bloodbane witch who ambushes Siran and enchants her guards. She passes herself off as Siran to the Rivan court. She wears a necklace of human bone fingers around her neck, a sign that she practices the dark arts. What are bloodbane witches, you ask? Eriond might be able to tell you...

7. Katya – “If everyone were like royalty, no one would want to be important things like a baker, a seamstress... or maybe a tavern maid, like you.”
-The local tavern’s owner, Katya takes Siran in as a helper when Siran has nowhere else to go.

8. Rivan Prince
-The monarch to whom Siran is betrothed. She doesn’t see him until she lives in the capital.

*NOTE: This is a free game for all to play, just in case anyone's wondering (:
--------------------------------------------------------
The Team:

Writer - merdeamour
Sprite Artist - Ant-san
Background Artist - Emily (not on LSF)
Programmer - ayo
Composer - Ant (not on LSF)
-------------------------------------------------------
Progress:

Sprites - 100%
CGs - 60%
BGs - 5%
Writing - 20%
Programming - 0%
GUI - 75%

*Note: I've finished writing the whole story (it's a novel I'm working on), so I'm just working on the routes. Technically, I only have 2 routes to go, but since the story has a happy ending, and I'm planning to have both sad and happy endings for each character, I'm still at 1/5 of the writing.

Screenshots:

Main Menu:
main menu.png
Config Menu:
config menu.png
Save/Load Menu:
save_load menu.png
Here's the demo! The demo consists of just the story's prologue, so no choices yet. Also, according to ayo, our programmer:
ayo wrote:Sorry for the delay, I was just adding some minor stuffs to the preview. As you already know, the BGs and SFXs are not ours but the sprites, GUI/UI are from us ^^

Anyway, please enjoy the short preview of the game and please leave some feedbacks once you finish playing it, thanks! :D

1. Linux Download
2. Mac Download
3. Windows Download
[/quote]
Now requesting for honest critiques, especially those who have played the demo. Kudos to Tempus for this idea.
Last edited by merdeamour on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:53 am, edited 11 times in total.
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

Re: The Taleweaver's Curse [Otome][Fantasy]

#2 Post by pickle131 »

The art is adorable, and I really like the story concept!
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

EroBotan
Veteran

#3 Post by EroBotan »

pickle131 wrote:The art is adorable, and I really like the story concept!
Yeah, the art is definitetly good, and this is also the first time I'm hearing a story like this! It's pretty original concept :D

merdeamour
Veteran

#4 Post by merdeamour »

EroBotan wrote:
pickle131 wrote:The art is adorable, and I really like the story concept!
Yeah, the art is definitetly good, and this is also the first time I'm hearing a story like this! It's pretty original concept :D

Thank you, both of you! (: I'm sure Ant-san will appreciate your kind words :D And I'm glad that you found the story original--it's something I've been working on for a while (:
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Ant-san
Regular
Completed: Snowdrop, The Demon Lord is Mine, PrinHero, PreOdyssey
Projects: The Three Princes and Adarna

#5 Post by Ant-san »

Thank you for your feedbacks :wink:
I'm really glad you guys like my art :oops:

Anyway, just to add on the progress (on my part anyway XP), the CG drawings are 30% complete, and the CG sprites (expressions + poses) are 100% done :wink:

As for the writing, according to mer, it's actually already complete and she's just working on the other routes ^_^
Otome game currently in progress~;)
Feel free to check it out ^_^

Interested in commissioning me?

Finished Project/s:
The Philosopher's War

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#6 Post by Ran08 »

Oh, she's got imaginary friends, eh? Cooool. :3 I like the setting too. It seems pretty interesting.
And the art is so cuuute! <3 The logo is a bit hard to read because of the font, but I think that's just me. Hahaha.

I'm looking forward to this. ^^

merdeamour
Veteran

#7 Post by merdeamour »

Ran08 wrote:Oh, she's got imaginary friends, eh? Cooool. :3 I like the setting too. It seems pretty interesting.
And the art is so cuuute! <3 The logo is a bit hard to read because of the font, but I think that's just me. Hahaha.

I'm looking forward to this. ^^
Ah, we're changing the logo to something both ayo and Ant-san came up with xD Sorry I haven't done it yet...

We've got Ant-san to thank for the art! I still can't believe she did this in just... 2-3 weeks.

I've been working on the story for a long time, so I'm glad you like the setting (: Thank you for the support!
Ant-san wrote:Anyway, just to add on the progress (on my part anyway XP), the CG drawings are 30% complete, and the CG sprites (expressions + poses) are 100% done :wink:

As for the writing, according to mer, it's actually already complete and she's just working on the other routes ^_^
...She's pretty awesome xD

As for the writing, yup, I've done the story part (the main story)--now I just have to write out the routes. My writing will most likely slow down as another year of school is starting T_T
-Vincent van Gogh

Ant-san
Regular

#8 Post by Ant-san »

merdeamour wrote:
Ant-san wrote:Anyway, just to add on the progress (on my part anyway XP), the CG drawings are 30% complete, and the CG sprites (expressions + poses) are 100% done :wink:

...She's pretty awesome xD

As for the writing, yup, I've done the story part (the main story)--now I just have to write out the routes. My writing will most likely slow down as another year of school is starting T_T
Hey, maybe you should put the current progress at the first post as well? XD

And about the logo... I asked my brother which of the two looked better and he picked the green one XP

Maybe we should ask people here to vote or something? :lol:

Finished Project/s:
The Philosopher's War

ixWishing
Veteran

#9 Post by ixWishing »

Whoa! The whole concept with the imaginary friends thing is cool!
I'm totally going for Alcin first! xD
And I wonder what role the Rivan Prince has... Hmmm
- Everlasting Dreams ;

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#10 Post by Taleweaver »

I would like to mention that

a) I have no connection whatsoever to this game
b) neither have I ever cursed someone nor do I promote the cursing of people, though I tend to be a bit of a pottymouth at times
c) this is a really nice idea for a fantasy story, and I'd like to see it finished.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#11 Post by silverpikachu99 »

ohmygoshhh the art is so cute <3 I'm super excited for this! Good luck~
i'll cry if you yell at me

merdeamour
Veteran

#12 Post by merdeamour »

Ant-san wrote: Hey, maybe you should put the current progress at the first post as well? XD
Sorry I got back to this so late! Did it xD

And about the logo... I asked my brother which of the two looked better and he picked the green one XP

Maybe we should ask people here to vote or something? :lol:
Sure! Although I'm thinking about whether we should post it here, or on the art threads...?

ixWishing wrote: Whoa! The whole concept with the imaginary friends thing is cool!
I'm totally going for Alcin first! xD
And I wonder what role the Rivan Prince has... Hmmm
Thank you (:

Wow, Alcin has a lot of positive reviews, huh? xD

Well, the Prince is the one to whom Siran is betrothed... there's some 'mystery' about him since Siran doesn't know him/hasn't even seen him yet. :D

Taleweaver wrote: a) I have no connection whatsoever to this game
...Your...username ((: Oh my gosh ((:

[/quote]
b) neither have I ever cursed someone nor do I promote the cursing of people, though I tend to be a bit of a pottymouth at times
I seriously grinned while reading this. ...Pottymouth? xD
c) this is a really nice idea for a fantasy story, and I'd like to see it finished.
Ah, I'm really glad you think so! This is the first VN I've tried putting together, and I'm determined to finish this. I'm extremely lucky to have found amazing team members too xD

silverpikachu99 wrote: ohmygoshhh the art is so cute <3 I'm super excited for this! Good luck~

We have Ant-san to thank for that :D Thank you for the support! (:

...End one of the longest posts ever. I'm so sorry I haven't been able to go online as much as I can T_T
-Vincent van Gogh

merdeamour
Veteran

#13 Post by merdeamour »

To all the lovely people who have voiced their support for this game... here's Alcin, by Ant-san!
alcin_by_antares25.png
Alcin is Siran's best friend, but he's the opposite of the outgoing Siri, quiet, a little bit recessive, but he's someone you can rely on for his logic and rational mind.
-Vincent van Gogh

Ant-san
Regular

#14 Post by Ant-san »

merdeamour wrote: Sure! Although I'm thinking about whether we should post it here, or on the art threads...?
I'd say art thread :D

Finished Project/s:
The Philosopher's War

IefaSan
Projects: I'm willing to help anyone with their projects! PM me if you want to use my help. I can help with: plot, dialogue, a tester or script (but my English is not really good). Or if you just want someone to help you with anything, just PM me... ^_^

#15 Post by IefaSan »

LOL, I clicking to this thread thinking this game related to the Taleweaver... I thought "Maybe someone make a parody of her games?". But she already make a statement that she is not related to this game. Haha.... :lol:

But I saw the awesome art and interesting summary of the story. Hopefully I can play this game soon. (not trying to pressure you).

Good luck for this project! :D
"Because what's worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?" - James Patterson, 'The Angel Experiment '