SideQuest [Parody, Fantasy] [ADV/NVL] !!STATUS UPDATE!!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Giovedi
Regular

Re: Side Quest [Parody/Fantasy][ADV/NVL] [UPDATED JUNE 15]

#16 Post by Giovedi »

Googaboga used MEMORY LANE! It's super effective!

Aheheh, I adore trios in general. Pokemon was my gateway anime as a li'l one, all the way back in the early (mid?) 90's. I can't imagine I'd have liked it as much if Ash had only either Misty or Brock for companions, or Team Rocket didn't have Meowth. There's something about trio dynamics that are just plain fun.

I loved the heck out of the Mon Colle Knights dub 'round that time as well. The comedy relief antagonists in that anime were also a trio, weren't they?

Looking back, I think those anime might've influenced my current decision to make characters come in 3s.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Side Quest [Parody/Fantasy][ADV/NVL] [UPDATED JUNE 15]

#17 Post by Googaboga »

Same here. I prefer trios over duos any day, especially if those characters are one of the main focuses of the show/story/game/whatever. So yeah I'll be watching this thread for those guys. It will be fun to see their trio complete and how it compares to the good guys :mrgreen:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Giovedi
Regular

Re: Side Quest [Parody/Fantasy][ADV/NVL] !!NEW QUESTION!!

#18 Post by Giovedi »

Posing a new question! Refer to OP.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by CheeryMoya »

haha no one looks at my signature... I thought it was worth taking off my favorite quote for though...
Are 8-bit SFX too gimmicky? There's a running gag about low production values (NPC sprites being palette swaps, settling for descriptions of combat as opposed to actual system, etc etc) and I thought 8-bit SFX might be fun for a subtler jab. I thought the contrast between quality CC music and the cheapo SNES sounds were chuckle-worthy if alluded to, but I have to wonder if it'll actually mesh well for the player. Thoughts?

Where can I nab me some SFX? I'm not sure what I'll need, exactly, so directions towards complete SFX packs/sets would be more useful than individual sounds. Thanks!
I like chiptune sometimes, it makes me nostalgic. 8bitpeoples has some nice retro songs if you want, but if you're only looking for SFX then you can try this place (come equipped with Google Translate, the website is in Japanese). The page you would be most interested in is probably the "Retro-based" material section. Unfortunately I don't know any sites with SFX packs ready to be downloaded in one click.

While I'm here I might as well point you towards the Pre-made Assets page on the wiki. If you don't find any of the SFX I linked you to your liking, there's the Sound Effects page.

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#20 Post by pickle131 »

I think for a game like this with the unique art style and all, 8bit SFX might actually be kind of interesting XD You could always give it a try, and if it doesn't work out figure out something else later?
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

Giovedi
Regular

#21 Post by Giovedi »

NVL and ADV textbox screencaps up! Refer to OP!

Also, I totally paid attention to your signature. The cute sprites caught my attention.

I just, uh, missed everything else. :'D

Thanks for the resources! Great sites.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#22 Post by SundownKid »

I think 8-Bit SFX would be too cheesy unless you juxtaposed it with realistic SFX. Like, if someone is too cheap to get a real sword, it'll sound like an 8-Bit one (fourth wall breaking). Just making everything 8-Bit wouldn't make much sense.

With your style of graphics, the same applies to chiptunes. Wouldn't really work in this regard except as a gag of some sort.

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#23 Post by Chrizine »

Hey, this looks fun... Definitely keeping an eye on it ;)

If you look for sounds, I can recommend freesound.org - I found everything I needed there so far.
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

Giovedi
Regular

#24 Post by Giovedi »

I agree with sundownkid; the SFX and art style wouldn't really match up. I'm not all that great at matching sounds to visuals, so input's appreciated. Thanks, fella!

Anyway, I'm crawlin' free music sites for some nice tracks. Thanks for the suggestions there, too.

Giovedi
Regular

Re: Side Quest [Parody/Fantasy][ADV/NVL] !!GUI UPDATE!!

#25 Post by Giovedi »

Hey, guys! Title screen's up! I know it's a little bland right now, but it's subject to change.

Really, I'm just proud of myself for making my first imagemap. :'D

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Side Quest [Parody/Fantasy][ADV/NVL] !!GUI UPDATE!!

#26 Post by CheeryMoya »

I can't remember the last time I followed a WIP this closely ahaha

The main menu looks like it's off to a nice start, but I'm curious as to why you chose blue instead of keeping with the gold/bronze color scheme on the textboxes. It's usually best to keep the GUI consistent so the whole game looks cohesive. I also recommend making the NVL textbox more opaque so you can see the art behind it, or push it to one side of the screen. OokamiKasumi has a tutorial on customizing NVL mode, give it a read if you haven't already.

Giovedi
Regular

Re: SideQuest [Parody, Fantasy] [ADV/NVL] !!BIG OL' UPDATE!!

#27 Post by Giovedi »

Refer to OP!

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by CheeryMoya »

Giovedi wrote:So, uh. I broke my imagemap. Everything works perfectly fine, except that this one particular hotspot activates in the wrong place, perhaps 20px down from where it ought to:

I don't know how I got myself into this, considering I copied and pasted the imagemap code to ensure I didn't mess up try'na do it from scratch:

Code: Select all

imagemap:
        ground "gui/screens/menu/menu ground.png"
        idle "gui/screens/menu/menu idle.png"
        hover "gui/screens/menu/menu hover.png"

hotspot (451,42,57,33) action Start()
        hotspot (591,45,82,26) action ShowMenu("preferences")
        hotspot (724,122,29,55) action Help()
        hotspot (724,282,23,49) action Quit()
        hotspot (522,55,44,33) action ShowMenu("load")
The heck did I do...?
Launch your game and press Shift+D to access your Development Tools. Select Image Location Picker and select your main menu, then click and drag a square in the area you want the hotspot to activate. Take note of the coordinates that appear in the lower left-hand corner and change your hotspot as needed.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#29 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I really love your bold and colourful art style! It's really strong and nice to look at. The princess especially is really cute.
I can tell from the way you write that this will be quite enjoyable to read XD Good luck, I can't wait until you finish!

Giovedi
Regular

Re: SideQuest [Parody, Fantasy] [ADV/NVL] !!PLAYABLE TEASER

#30 Post by Giovedi »

Whoa, thanks so much Cyanide! Love your work, oh wow. Flattered.

Thanks for the well-wishes! I hope I don't disappoint.