Seasonal Melody ♬ - [outdated - check new thread]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
inhalance
Regular
Projects: Seasonal Melody ♬

Seasonal Melody ♬ - [outdated - check new thread]

#1 Post by inhalance »

NEW THREAD HERE: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=32494

And, may I present to you.. another Slife otome game! *slow clap*
{Plot}: You play as Hikaru Yoshida, a 16 year old junior in high school. She is spunky, popular, and is a clarinet player in the school's band. Her best friend and sidekick is Aki Tanaka. Her other best guy friend is Hayate Sasaki. Together, they face the normal challenges of high school life... drama, cute boys, and the worst thing of all, schoolwork (dun dun dun). Hikaru has somewhat of a little (or obsessive) crush on one of the most popular guys in the school, Daichi Nakamura. Will you help Hikaru find her prince or will she be single for the rest of her life? After all, band romances are quite frequent!

{Game info}: This game takes place over the course of four seasons, as indicated by the title. This game is centered around a literal band, and the game will feature concerts and rehearsals. A good anime reference for this game would be "La Corda d'Oro", which is centered around an orchestral romance. Since I'm in my school's band program as well, I'll be incorporating my own life experiences and musical references, also evident in the title. This game is rated 15+ and will be completely free.

♪ 3 obtainable guys
♪ 4 endings
♪ Estimated game length: 45 minutes per route (uncertain)
♪ CGs (number is uncertain at the moment)
♪ Band pieces and concerts
♪ Music theory lessons here and there

Writer and programmer: inhalance
Sprite & CG artist: Akitsuki

{Characters}:
Hikaru Yoshida, 1st chair clarinet
She is 16 years old, popular, cheerful, and spunky. Hikaru sits 1st chair clarinet in her school's symphonic band, so she is respected as a talented musician. She is often mistaken for a middle school student because of her short height (5'1") and hair. Hikaru is not afraid to speak her mind and defend her opinions. She will always help out a friend in need and even lend a helping hand to strangers in distress. She also enjoys talking sarcastically and can easily talk to/approach anyone.
Aki Tanaka, flute player
Aki is Hikaru's partner in crime, aka her sidekick (but she doesn't like it when Hikaru refers to her as a sidekick). Aki is Hikaru's go-to whenever she needs advice, help on homework, etc. She is bubbly and energetic, with a personality similar to Hikaru's. Aki often likes to go shopping and drags Hikaru along with her, and she often likes to pick out outfits for Hikaru. She sits 2nd chair flute.
Hayate Sasaki, trumpet player
Hayate is quiet and reserved, and doesn't like to talk much. He is really smart, normally getting the highest marks in his grade, and can often be found reading a book or studying for a subject. Hikaru has known Hayate since 5th grade, which is why they have a rather close relationship with each other. Because of Hikaru's cheerful personality, she was able to get Hayate to open up to her.

Daichi Nakamura, popular guy

Daichi is your stereotypical jock - handsome, popular, and hangs out with the bigger crowd. Hikaru has had a crush on him since 9th grade, when she saw him at a swim meet and instantly fell in love with him. Daichi doesn't even know that Hikaru exists, let alone that she has an obsession with him.

Ichirou Mori, percussionist

Ichirou is cocky, rude, and can almost be considered to be a delinquent. He would rather play on his drumset or spend time with his friends than to study or do homework. He likes to pick on Hikaru due to an incident which happened a few years ago in 9th grade. He knows about Hikaru's obsession with Daichi, which he uses to his advantage to blackmail her to do his homework since he is particularly close with Daichi.

More updates will be posted as this project progresses!

Current progress:

❥Story - 65%
❥Programming - 10%
❥Music - 75%
❥Art - 45%

*A/N: A preliminary demo WILL be released for this game, and it will feature the first chapter of the game/introduction which takes place over the course of autumn (roughly late August - November).

{A few questions}:

1) Would you like to play the game/demo when it comes out?
2) Do you have any experience with music?
3) Which character are you most interested in?
4) Are there any other comments you would like to make about the plot, game info, character concepts, etc.?

{UPDATES}:

07.25.13: Just recruited a lovely new artist for the game! Say hello to Akitsuki. ^^ She will be drawing sprites and CG's for the game.
07.26.13: New logo made by iiStarCandy!
08.09.13: Aki's design has been uploaded!
08.12.13: Daichi's design is up, progress percentages updated
08.14.13: MAIN SCREEN IS UP! (rough version though)
08.17.13: Updated main screen uploaded along with simple GUI screenshot.
09.09.13: SEMI-HIATUS. I won't be updating this thread as often anymore due to school, and Furuki is also busy with school as well. We'll still be working on the project from time to time, but we won't be updating this thread as often.
Attachments
Simple GUI
Simple GUI
Updated main screen with placeholder text
Updated main screen with placeholder text
Last edited by inhalance on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Offering proofreading help and writing assets.

Current WIP:

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

Re: WIP: Seasonal Melody [Otome][GxB][Slife]

#2 Post by Didules »

There aren't many things to say right now, but I look forward to it! The story sounds like it will be something really cute!
I hope your own experiences will help you to write and find ideas :)
Good luck!!!

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#3 Post by merdeamour »

It's certainly a great idea to 'write what you know', and although this plot is something that has been done a dozen of times over, I think that you can make this into a great VN with good writing, especially if you incorporate your experiences into this--that would really put the 'life' in slice-of-life, and that's definitely a good thing :D

There are some questions I want to pose, though...

1. Will 45 minutes a route be enough for each guy? I mean, since you stated that the story will span over four seasons. Sounds like a long time, and I'm wondering whether 45 minutes would be enough to show the MC's experiences over a year.

2. Since this is a game about music, will you be having scenes where the band plays songs/one of the characters play something? :D That would be cool, although it'd be hard to pull off something like that. It's just something I've been wondering about (:

Anyway, I just want to say good luck with this! I'd like to know more about what the obtainable characters are like, actually, even the MC and her best friend themselves. Will you be putting character profiles up? Again, good luck! (:
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

inhalance
Regular

#4 Post by inhalance »

@Didules: Thank you very much! I'll try my best ^^

@merdeamour: Thanks for the feedback! Hm, now I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1. I'm actually really not sure about the length of each route right now. Like you mentioned, 45 minutes really does not seem to be enough for a course of 4 seasons. I'll try to go for an hour or hour and a half per route since that was my original planned goal, but I cut it down to 45 minutes just in case I couldn't reach it. However, I will definitely try!

2. Ah, yes, I was actually planning to do something like that! It might be tricky to pull off, but I'm going to try anyway. :) I have yet to figure out how to incorporate it into the story line though..

3. I will most likely update character profiles and give a little more background information, since I didn't want the first post to be too overwhelming. I really appreciate your comments, and thank you~

Current WIP:

inhalance
Regular

Re: WIP: Seasonal Melody [GxB|Musical|Otome]

#5 Post by inhalance »

Hikaru's profile:
Attachments
Hikaru - Design.jpg
Last edited by inhalance on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Current WIP:

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence
Organization: Anansi Media

#6 Post by tnm6 »

Why didn't you tell me you were making your own VN?!?! I'm booking-marking this thread so I can eagerly await the game's completion. Best of luck!

inhalance
Regular

#7 Post by inhalance »

tnm6 wrote:Why didn't you tell me you were making your own VN?!?! I'm booking-marking this thread so I can eagerly await the game's completion. Best of luck!
Haha, sorry :) Well, right now, not much development has been put into it since I've been prioritizing Stained With Magic. I would really like to see our (Hikage Studios) VN be released first before deciding to put more focus on this project.

Basically, I'm keeping this VN pretty low for the time being. Nonetheless, thanks for your support! ^^

Current WIP:

Snowjoker
Regular
Completed: None =0
Projects: EX-Terminators[RPG/VN Hybrid]

#8 Post by Snowjoker »

I'm trying to play it safe and stick with a topic that I'm actually comfortable and knowledgeable in since I'm still a school student.
This. That makes the VN all more interesting with your own experiences and my own game is also pre-made sprites so of course I wont be deter, no reason not to play the game :lol: I look forward to seeing your progress!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=27211
EX-Terminators: Accept Your Destiny
Upcoming RPG/VN Hybrid, sci-fi and psychological game (with just a little bit of horror XD)

inhalance
Regular

#9 Post by inhalance »

This. That makes the VN all more interesting with your own experiences and my own game is also pre-made sprites so of course I wont be deter, no reason not to play the game I look forward to seeing your progress!
Thank you! However, you probably won't be seeing much of my progress since I am working on another project at the moment. ^^; I'm glad you think it makes the VN a lot more interesting. I'm actually pretty excited to include events which have happened to me in the past before, haha. :D

Current WIP:

inhalance
Regular

#10 Post by inhalance »

Aki's profile:
Attachments
Aki - Design.jpg
Last edited by inhalance on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Current WIP:

Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

#11 Post by Talann »

I'm actually very interested in this game and will keep an eye on it ;-;
I really like the MC's personality (since I haven't played any VN where the MC was popular) c:
Anyyyyway, I also am interested since it has a mix of "La Corda d'Oro" because I loooove this anime!! <*-*<
So, keep up the great work & oh you've gained another stalker ^^;

Sorry for all that writing >-<;

mikiwing

#12 Post by mikiwing »

1) of course, it sounds like a very cute game ^^
2) A bit, i am piano selftaugh and can transcribe music. I can play a bit guitar too.
3) Hayate Sasaki!! <3 But Ichirou Mori is also very interessing *W*
4) I personally like it very much, sad that there will be no CG's but its your first game so its no problem ;)
BTW placeholder? Does this mean you are making your own for the game and the ones you have are just for the time being?
I dont understand what that means ^//^

inhalance
Regular

#13 Post by inhalance »

Hello! Thanks for all of your feedback guys! :)

@Talann: I really loved La Corda d'Oro too. I was aiming for somewhat of a spin-off of the anime. Thanks for your comments, and I will make sure to work hard~

@mikiwing: Thank you for answering the questions ^^ For the placeholders, I'm not sure if I will be using the sprites (in the current character profiles) or if I will be hiring an artist for this project. Also, if I do hire an artist, I might include CG's ;)

In the meantime, here is Daichi's character profile:
Attachments
Daichi - Design.jpg
Last edited by inhalance on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Current WIP:

iiStarCandy
Regular
Projects: Bored to Death, Trying to Walk
IRC Nick: Yoh-An
Tumblr: saseum-ssi
Deviantart: yoh-an

Re: ❥ WIP: ♬ Seasonal Melody ♬ [GxB|Musical|Otome|Slife]

#14 Post by iiStarCandy »

1) I really want to play this. ^^ I've never played a VN that's been music themed yet.
2) Yes I have experience.
3) Probably Hayate. ^^
4) Nope! Looks fine to me. :)

--
Logo blog: http://yoh-an.blogspot.com/
Personal blog: http://saseum-ssi.tumblr.com/
deviantArt: http://yoh-an.deviantart.com/
I make logos from time to time.

inhalance
Regular

Re: ❥ WIP: ♬ Seasonal Melody ♬ [GxB|Musical|Otome|Slife]

#15 Post by inhalance »

iiStarCandy wrote:1) I really want to play this. ^^ I've never played a VN that's been music themed yet.
2) Yes I have experience.
3) Probably Hayate. ^^
4) Nope! Looks fine to me. :)
Hehe, thanks! I recently played a2 ~a due~ (not sure if I typed that right) and it's music themed as well. It's a great game which I would recommend. ^^ Hmm, Hayate is getting a pretty positive response right now ;)

Again, thank you for the beautiful logo (I don't know how many times I'm going to offer you my thanks, haha). I'm really excited to use it! :)

Current WIP: