Among the distant stars (sci-fi fantasy romance drama) Demo!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Among the distant stars (sci-fi fantasy romance drama) Demo!

#1 Post by Katta »

Since I started working on this project, there appears more and more sci-fi WIPs here, but as everyone seems to agree that there are still not enough, I'm glad to present my own space-themed VN - "Among the distant stars".

Demo
windows version
mac version
linux version

Story:
Dara Arreal is a White Mage, a practitioner of healing magic renowned for her rare abilities. When the world of Mitalia faces a devastating pandemic, she is dispatched to the planet with her friend Derek as a final hope for the dying population. But as soon as they enter deep space, a powerful surge of magic rips through a nearby constellation. After recognizing a life force, they locate a shell within the energy pulse and bring it on board. Inside, they find an unconscious man at its core, barely clinging to life and in dire need of aid. As a healer, Dara is compelled to save anyone she can, but the dangerous aura she senses from the man torments her thoughts. Who is he? And why was he floating through space? While these questions haunt her conscience, Dara can’t escape the premonition that her life has been changed forever.

Characters:
Dara Arreal
• Race: Half-Elf
• Height: 5’4”
• Weight: 110 lbs.
• Magic Affinity: Healing
• Ability: Empathy
• Spirit: N/A
• Description: One of the few White Mages left in the galaxy, Dara’s rare healing abilities are constantly sought across the star systems. Despite the high risks involved, she never abandons those in need, choosing to siphon away her own life force to heal her patients. Her endless compassion is her greatest strength, but her selfless regard for her own life often frustrates her closest friends.

Derek Reyes:
• Race: Human
• Age 28
• Height: 6’1”
• Weight: 200 lbs.
• Magic Affinity: Fire
• Ability: N/A
• Spirit: Fierra
• Description: Known as the Crimson Shadow, Derek Reyes has earned galactic renown for his daring missions. As a freelance space captain, his commission fees are astronomical, but his abilities are well worth the cost. Harboring a deep confidence in his own abilities, he cares little for the intrigues of galactic politics, choosing instead to pave his own way in the universe. Impassioned and—at times—impulsive, his devil-may-care attitude has earned him a fair share of enemies, but those closest to him attest to his unshakeable loyalty and tireless defense of the weak.

???
• Race: Human
• Height: 6’2”
• Weight: 180 lbs.
• Magic Affinity: ???
• Ability: ???
• Spirit: ???
• Description: A mysterious man found floating through space, shrouded in a strange energy field. His time in space has shattered his mind, leaving him with no memory of his past.

Game Features:
• An original story and artwork
• Animated backgrounds
• A Dynamic Story featuring 2 routes and 4+ endings: a light-side and dark-side endings for each route + bad ending(s)
• Approximately 50min. gameplay for 1 route
Also please check out our website: http://gamesbykatta.tumblr.com/ATDS

Credits:
Idea: me
Writer: Jethro Robbins-Dyer, Tnm6
Artist: JustSyl
Background artist: Badriel
Gui art and programming: Badriel

Questions, suggestions and other feedback are welcome!
Last edited by Katta on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

aya001
Regular

Re: Among the distant stars (sci-fi fantasy romance drama)

#2 Post by aya001 »

Looks interesting, and I like the characters art, waiting for future updates ^^

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

Katta wrote: Since I started working on this project, there appears more and more sci-fi WIPs here, but as everyone seems to agree that there are still not enough, I'm glad to present my own space-themed VN - "Among the distant stars".
Of course! We can never have enough sci-fi :)

Some first impressions:

- I really like your logo. It has a "polished unpolished" feel to it which is quite charming to me. Only capitalizing the first letter of the title adds to this feeling. In short, nice!

- Refreshing that the characters are adults, although the art style makes them look a bit younger than they are supposed to be, IMO. Reyes has a rather boyish face.

- Refreshing to find a mysterious man instead of Mysterious Naked Girl. While I don't think I'll ever tire of MNG, it's good to switch it up I think. :P

- I like the design for your protagonist, but the way the fabric of her robe implausibly clings to her chest is distracting, IMO. I think a more natural, loose-fitting, drapey look would be more attractive. Right now it's looking more "really long tight-fitting teenage hoodie" rather than "ethereal white mage robe" to me.

I look forward to see what comes of this...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence
Organization: Anansi Media

#4 Post by tnm6 »

Thanks for keeping an eye on the game! I agree that Dara's look has a bit of a sweatshirt vibe to it, but that is mainly due to the image being cropped for a headshot for the thread. Her full body sprite has a more "flowing" look to it.

Sapphi wrote:
Katta wrote: Since I started working on this project, there appears more and more sci-fi WIPs here, but as everyone seems to agree that there are still not enough, I'm glad to present my own space-themed VN - "Among the distant stars".
Of course! We can never have enough sci-fi :)

Some first impressions:

- I really like your logo. It has a "polished unpolished" feel to it which is quite charming to me. Only capitalizing the first letter of the title adds to this feeling. In short, nice!

- Refreshing that the characters are adults, although the art style makes them look a bit younger than they are supposed to be, IMO. Reyes has a rather boyish face.

- Refreshing to find a mysterious man instead of Mysterious Naked Girl. While I don't think I'll ever tire of MNG, it's good to switch it up I think. :P

- I like the design for your protagonist, but the way the fabric of her robe implausibly clings to her chest is distracting, IMO. I think a more natural, loose-fitting, drapey look would be more attractive. Right now it's looking more "really long tight-fitting teenage hoodie" rather than "ethereal white mage robe" to me.

I look forward to see what comes of this...

Katta
Veteran

#5 Post by Katta »

aya001, Sapphi, thanks for the comments)
Sapphi wrote:- Refreshing that the characters are adults, although the art style makes them look a bit younger than they are supposed to be, IMO. Reyes has a rather boyish face.
Don't all anime characters look younger than real-life? And even in real life many people in late twenties don't differ too much from when they were 20. The characters definitely look older than common high-schooler ones, so they are fine to me. And Derek's boyish expression kinda fits his character.

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence

#6 Post by tnm6 »

Here's a look at our Game Header :)

Any opinions on how it's suited for the genre/style of the game?

Last edited by tnm6 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#7 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I really enjoy the second header more because it gives off that sci-fi feel while still retaining the charm of the first ^^ Really loving all these new sci-fi projects and ones with romance too is making me really anxious to play!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

tnm6
Regular

#8 Post by tnm6 »

**Update!**

Here's an example of the game's GUI as it appears in-game over one of the backgrounds.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#9 Post by TsukiShima »

It's beautiful, how could I have missed this before! The GUI clearly fits the sci-fic theme. I really like the sprites; very expression-full, and the logo; not too long and not too short, just nice. And since I can already see how lovely the background is, congrats to the background artists. Heck, congrats to all! I shall wish you luck and look forward for the progress!

Katta
Veteran

#10 Post by Katta »

Thank you! I'm really happy about having found such a great artist as JystSyl and Badriel is awesome too, which you could have probably seen from his other works as well) I'm glad you like the logo, my sister made it for me and I like it very much)

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#11 Post by silverpikachu99 »

WOW! The art is gorgeous!
i'll cry if you yell at me

tnm6
Regular

#13 Post by tnm6 »

Thanks! We love that game series! Though we're hoping for our game to be a bit darker/edgier than Star Ocean :)

tnm6
Regular

#14 Post by tnm6 »

**Update**

Just wanted to showcase our main composer Tyler Thompson (https://soundcloud.com/tyler-thompson-audio) whose work has been fast and amazing so far!

Also, stay tuned for a demo of the game's opening chapter in the near future!

-Taylor McDowell

tnm6
Regular

#15 Post by tnm6 »

*Update*

Just giving a quick update: programming for the game's demo is still ongoing.
Last edited by tnm6 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.