Amare in Bellum [Bishoujo][Faux-Historical]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Raithfyre
Regular
Completed: Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods
Projects: Highway Blossoms: Next Exit, Samayuuni, ???
Organization: Studio Élan
IRC Nick: raithfyre
Tumblr: considerrewordingthis

Amare in Bellum [Bishoujo][Faux-Historical]

#1 Post by Raithfyre »

Amare in Bellum, Latin for "Love in War," is an in-development VN by Edition Development Team.

The countries of Baharistan and Rhen-Palait are at war, driving people from their homes to either the battlefield or refugee camps. Vincent Fahran, a young man from a small town, is conscripted and sent to the front lines. After an ambush cuts his time on the battlefield short, he's rescued by a neutral nation and brought to the town of Marin. Once a popular tourist spot, it now hosts many of the displaced refugees from both countries. Marin is a town for those without homes, and Vincent is the newest resident.

As a side note, I should mention that the different art styles presented below are all evidence of our primary artist's growth through the project. As such, pictures are not necessarily representative of the game's final quality.

The Characters:

Vincent: Having lived a humble life with his family before the war, Vincent finds himself feeling lost in the foreign town of Marin as he tries to adapt to refugee life. Vincent isn't the type to pull any punches, believing the best way to tackle a problem is to take it head on. However, under this brash exterior is a caring person who looks out for those he considers dear to him.

Amelia: Amelia is an old friend of Vincent's, and is pleasantly surprised to find him in Marin. Well known and loved by locals and tourists alike, she's a friendly, simple girl. She loves to capture moments in her life on film so that she can look back on them with happiness.

Julia: Julia has been raised to be hard-nosed and diligent, with the intent of having the same economic mind her parents have. With their considerable wealth, she's been raised fairly well. Julia enjoys deliberatly provoking people as a means of testing their character - only those who can stand up for themselves under her fierce belligerence are deemed worthy of further attention.

Sasha: Sasha Beleren is a native of Marin who enjoys spending her time listening to music and fishing, although rarely at the same time. In the absence of her father, Sasha has been forced to take up his livelihood in order to keep her family afloat in a time of economic decline. Not one to let the situation keep her down, she can often be found with a smile despite having family on both sides of the war. As such, Sasha tries to stay fair to everyone she meets, and will rarely put herself on one side of a conflict, no matter how big or small.

Sybil: Her laconic humour and carefree attitude has made her popular amongst the refugees, homeless, and other drifters she associates with, but her inherent laziness and lack of personal responsibility has not endeared her to the authority figures of Marin. Having spent the majority of her formative years living on the streets, Sybil could best be described as a “survivor”. Perhaps out of some instinctive urge to conserve energy, she is exceptionally laid-back in both speech and action, and loves nothing more than to lie on a park bench feeding the stray cats that wander the streets of Marin.

Vyra: Vyra is a troubled and peculiar girl. A rough family history left her with lingering feelings of inadequacy, for which she does her best to compensate - overly so. Always striving towards perfection, and accepting no less, Vyra's crippling fear of failure is what she'll always be remembered for. Though her high standards and perfectionism serve her well in most aspects of her life, it can make friendships a chore that many choose to not suffer through.
For other art, as well as music samples and frequent updates, I encourage you to check out our development blog, at least until the website goes live.
Last edited by Raithfyre on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

Re: Amare in Bellum [Bishoujo][Faux-Historical]

#2 Post by pickle131 »

This sounds interesting so far c: I also love Amelia's design! I love her poncho XD
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

Fideon

#3 Post by Fideon »

pickle131 wrote:This sounds interesting so far c: I also love Amelia's design! I love her poncho XD
I'm glad you like it thanks a lot!
(Just for background. I'm Edition Development Team's Programmer and Team Lead)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#4 Post by Fenrir34 »

Looks fun. You have a pretty interesting plot and it really got me interested. I'm glad to see some VN's coming out . I haven't played some in a while. Anyway good luck :D

quilty
Projects: [currently unnamed]

#5 Post by quilty »

This sounds really interesting, I can't wait to hear more about the development and see the final character designs.

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#6 Post by Starshine »

It's nice to see a few dark skinned characters, 'ive never seen much in visual novels to be honest.
Just had a quick look at your development blog, and the music is wonderful! I really love that kind of music.
http://editiondevteam.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... sybil.html

The big question is:
Will the characters have voices or will you leave that out?
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Raithfyre
Regular
Completed: Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods
Projects: Highway Blossoms: Next Exit, Samayuuni, ???
Organization: Studio Élan
IRC Nick: raithfyre
Tumblr: considerrewordingthis

#7 Post by Raithfyre »

Made a very long overdue update, with some revamped art and a main character bio.

Also, to answer the last question about voices: currently we don't plan to include any, but that's subject to change.