Lost and Found [Free Mystery Otome] [ARTISTS NEEDED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dawnfire
Regular

Lost and Found [Free Mystery Otome] [ARTISTS NEEDED]

#1 Post by Dawnfire »

LOST AND FOUND
Maya loves mysteries, and she founded the Mystery Club to do some sleuthing. But unfortunately, the only mysteries in Korslech Prep are the contents of the Lost and Found bin. The Club is in charge of finding the owners and returning their stuff to them. Still, lately a puzzling object ended up there. With daring, smarts, luck, and a little Maya Intuition, she’ll solve some interesting cases...and maybe figure out the one puzzle that she’s never been able to understand: falling in love.

So the premise of the game is that my heroine, Maya, is going to be solving mysteries that are directly connected to each of the two leads, who seem to be stereotypical characters...and then end up having some secret hidden interests that change it up! I'm not going to spoil these for people who don't want to work on the game but might enjoy playing it in the future, but nerdiness pervades throughout the characters' lives. Another thing that makes my game stand out is that my heroine isn't necessarily a romantic. She doesn't mind dating if it finds her, but she's very practical and level-headed, and despite being pretty optimistic, has a sarcastic and sassy inner monologue and knows how to tell somebody off. So no ditzy, clumsy girl who needs help, and no damsel in distress scenarios! She's not even pining for a boyfriend. I've also tried to include some ethnic diversity into the game, including an Indian heroine.

I really believe that I have a writing style that has a wide vocabulary, nearly impeccable grammar, and definitely some interesting plot. I really encourage interested people to give me their email so I can share the script so far with them and prove that it's a game worth making. (I would love feedback from proofreaders as well!) But I can't draw, I haven't tried to program with Renpy yet but I was pretty terrible at past programming classes, and I can't make music. So I really want people to help me create my dream of making a free otome game with a fun plot and a strong female character. I'm also a college student who cannot afford to pay anyone. So I'm hoping that some kind, talented souls will see this thread!

What I'd like:
  • Art. Sprites and backgrounds are very important, and CGs would be nice. You can definitely take the reigns with the style as long as it's clean and uniform! And if you can do either or, that would still be great.
    Music. I don't really know what I'm looking for but I'd like all the music to have a similar style, so I guess anyone can send me their music samples and I'll tell you if I like it.
    Programming help, eventually. I will need a lot of programming help.
I currently have a finished script, though I can make minor revisions, at 20,000 words. I am definitely ready to go to the next phase if I can get help!
(Also, if I share the script with you, don't copy or steal it or whatever. If you totally steal my ideas, I will call out your plagiarism. Do people do that, though? I hope nobody that awful is on this forum.)
Last edited by Dawnfire on Mon May 26, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

Exaelia
Regular

Re: Lost and Found [Free Mystery Otome] needs help!

#2 Post by Exaelia »

Oooh oooh oooh! I can draw! o 3 o
"If I cared what people think, I would have dyed my hair black."
~Kurosaki Ichigo

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#3 Post by Googaboga »

Hey hey Dawn. Nice to see you're progressing on your game. The plot is very interesting :]. I've always liked Lost and Founds for some reason. It is neat to see what people had at one point and then lost. But I think you should ask an admin to move your thread. It'd either be better in the idea section since right now it is basically a script only and that's not enough to be considered WiP. Or this would be a good topic for the recruitment section of the forum. You've explained what the game is about, what is done, and what you need and that's pretty much everything that makes a good recruitment thread. Plus in that section it is more likely to gain attention from people looking for work.

Oh and if you find programming to be too confusing that's something I could handle.

Good luck ^3^.
Last edited by Googaboga on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Exaelia
Regular

#4 Post by Exaelia »

Googaboga wrote:Hey hey Dawn. Nice to see you're progressing on your game. The plot is very interesting :]. But I think you should ask an admin to move your thread. It'd either be better in the idea section since right now it is basically a script only and that's not enough to be considered WiP. Or this would be a good topic for the recruitment section of the forum. You've explained what the game is about, what is done, and what you need and that's pretty much everything that makes a good recruitment thread. Plus in that section it is more likely to gain attention from people looking for work.

Oh and if you find programming to be too confusing that's something I could handle.

Good luck ^3^.
No no no no I wanna draw stuff! ^3^ But then I'd give you all the drawings and you'll do magic o 3 o
~Kurosaki Ichigo

Dawnfire
Regular

#5 Post by Dawnfire »

Oh, maybe I should have done that. Thanks, Googaboga! But how exactly do I get them to move it?

Exaelia: can you show me some examples of your drawing? I think I am still going to try to put it on the recruitment thread, though.
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#6 Post by Googaboga »

You can probably just send an admin a PM to point out that your topic is better suited for somewhere else. They can't notice everything but if you make them aware of it they'll understand. Although they are good about making sure WiP Threads go in the right place so if you are worried about doing something wrong you could wait and it may get moved anyways. Although it might not go to the section you'd prefer (like if you want it in the recruitment section it might be moved to the ideas section since they wouldn't know).

Oh maybe you could change the thread title to say that you'd appreciate the thread being moved?
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Exaelia
Regular

#7 Post by Exaelia »

Dawnfire wrote:Oh, maybe I should have done that. Thanks, Googaboga! But how exactly do I get them to move it?

Exaelia: can you show me some examples of your drawing? I think I am still going to try to put it on the recruitment thread, though.
Well. I don't know what you'd want to see. I can draw you something or show you old stuff. :3
~Kurosaki Ichigo

Dawnfire
Regular

Re: Lost and Found [Free Mystery Otome]...Move to Recruitmen

#8 Post by Dawnfire »

Googaboga: Thanks for the advice!

Exaelia: I have a few other offers, so I'd like to compare the way you draw people specifically. I guess an approximation of what the sprites would look like.

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#9 Post by Akitsuki »

This looks interesting! Especially since the heroine would be different than the usual ones you find on many otome games.
I'd like to help but sadly the timing is bad--my hands are pretty full with some projects already ^^" But good luck with this!

Dawnfire
Regular

Re: Lost and Found [Free Mystery Otome] Move to Recruitment?

#10 Post by Dawnfire »

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it when it's finally made. :)

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#11 Post by AntiquedFae »

This game sounds amazing to me! Geeky-themed, light, high school mystery? Yes please! :D I hope production goes very well for you. ^^

As for providing assistance, do you have an estimate of how many words this will be in full, and also an idea of how long this project will take? I'd be happy to help you with proofreading, but I'd like to know about how big a project this is first. :)

If nothing else, I will support you in spirit! And giddily play it when it is done! :3
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

eime-leen
Regular
Projects: I want to 'revive' my old projects one day...
Deviantart: eime-leen

#12 Post by eime-leen »

I like your idea. Mystery always intrigues me! I also love the name Maya! <3 In fact... in my WIP, my own protagonist's name is Maya! And she sounds like a solid heroine. You have some good offers already! Well, I don't have much experience with making music, nor do I have any good sound samples to use. I would have liked to help you. I wish you the best of luck finding the right people for your project! (And will play this when it's finished) :D

soraibi
Regular

#13 Post by soraibi »

That sounds so awesome but I probably won't be able to help with art due to school. I still want to play this game when it gets done though. It sounds interesting :D

Dawnfire
Regular

#14 Post by Dawnfire »

As it's currently 20,000 words with one route, I'm approximating around 40,000 words for both. How long probably depends on the speed of my artist, since I don't know much about art and therefore don't want to rush them, but I'd like to have the whole thing out by December/January at the latest. We'll see!

Thank all of you so much! I really would love feedback if you don't mind spoiling it for yourself, but I'm also really happy if you just want to wait and be surprised by the final product. :)