FI: Interview [Platonic GxB/G][Comedy/Friendship] COMPLETED

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

FI: Interview [Platonic GxB/G][Comedy/Friendship] COMPLETED

#1 Post by Googaboga »

You can download the game from this other thread-
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=28956

Plot:
You play as a young woman named Susan (changeable) who is on her way to the popular vacation destination Fortune Island. She works as a freelance writer and has been hired to do a one-time article for the local newsletter of the island. Despite some oddities in the way she was hired, this seemed like a straightforward gig. Once on the island, Susan is informed she will have to interview someone in order to write the article. However, this relatively simple task ends up being far more frustrating than Susan anticipated. A seemingly incompetent temp-boss, uncooperative and weird townsfolk, interruptions, and other challenges will make successfully writing this article an uphill battle from the very start.

Features:
-100,000+ words
-6 character paths
-18 endings (plus a few Game Overs)
-6 unlockable epilogues
-7 CGs
-Free

Rating:
E10+ (though that's just being safe, there really isn't anything 'mature' in the game)

Current Stats:

Code: Select all

The game contains 10,590 dialogue blocks, containing 108,952 words and 586,445
characters, for an average of 10.3 words and 55 characters per block.

The game contains 201 menus, 182 images, and 13 screens.
Main Character:
-Susan (default name)
Susan is the character you make choices for in FI: Interview. You will be able to pick her name early in the game. She works as an underpaid freelance writer. She has been a bit depressed recently because she hasn’t gotten any decent jobs for quite a while. Susan is passionate about writing and is generally a serious person. However, despite her professional nature she may or may not secretly be a little crazy. In the end that will be up to the player. Susan has a hard time making friends. That is mostly because she has a few self-esteem issues that affect her personal life. Susan has a habit of incessantly asking questions even when it is not required for her job. Susan does not appear on screen.

Side Characters:
-Boss
Boss is Susan’s temporary employer. He writes a Bi-Seasonal Newsletter for the residents and tourists of Fortune Island. For this installment, he will not be able to write one of the articles and since most of the people on the island are vacationers he has no choice but to hire someone from the mainland. Boss is eccentric and a little too excited about being someone’s boss, which is probably obvious considering he decided to call himself “Boss” for the day. Boss tends to use clichéd phrases that have been said a hundred times and yet he always seems to get them wrong. He is also incredibly unhelpful when it comes to directing Susan in her job. At times it seems as though he has set her up to fail instead of succeed. While this annoys Susan to no end his actions truly had no ill intent.

-Mayor Marisol
Marisol is the mayor of Fortune Island. She considers all the people on this island to be her children and refers to them as such. Marisol will sometimes show up during character paths but you don’t want to try interviewing her. She unfortunately does not have time and it is protocol for all interviews to be scheduled in advanced.

-Boat Captain
He sails the boat to and from the island to the mainland. He enjoys chatting and joking around with the passengers. He also has a wife and three kids back home... He’s not very important but he still exists.

Interviewees:
These bios are based on Susan’s first impression of each interviewee. Her judgments were hastily made and not all of them will end up being (entirely) accurate.*

*The bios are not exactly insightful, since you are meant to interview these characters to get to know them. If you would like to see a more legit bio I can PM that to you regarding the character(s) you are interested in.

-Art by Others
Art by all the lovely people I've requested and commissioned :>. Click an icon for the full image and credits.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Character Design: The stupendous silvery_rain*, Googaboga, and Flanshiu*
Sprite Art: The charming crestforge
Chibi Art: The lovely kura-ou
CG Art: The charismatic chocojax
Background Art: The magnificent mapletaffy
Logo:The impeccable iiStarCandy
GUI assets/programming: The marvelous mapletaffy
Writers: The great Googaboga and Dawnfire
Editors: The clever KaenSe4, Hazel-Bun, AntiquedFae
Proofreaders: The divine Dawnfire, omgitstay, AntiquedFae
Beta-Tester: The awesome AntiquedFae
Programming: The remarkable Ren’Py Cookbook and Googaboga
Sound Effects: The stupendous SoundJay.com and GRSites.com
Music: The brilliant Brian Hughes of Dreambrush Studios (Dreambrush), syncopika, Bassa Island Game Loop and Forecast Elevator- Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)*, Ambrosia Beach and Touch the Sky- Aaron Krogh, (https://soundcloud.com/aaron-anderson-11)*, and Island Fever- Partners in Rhyme (http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/pir/free ... oops.shtml)*, Jonathon M. T. Roberts*, Musmus (http://musmus.main.jp/)*
*These people aren’t from Lemma Soft.

Thanks for reading ^3^~
Last edited by Googaboga on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:49 am, edited 65 times in total.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

Re: FI: Interview [Platonic GxB/G] [Comedy/Friendship]

#2 Post by Kyra10 »

-What character(s) interests you most?
The MC and the overzealous guy.
-Could the format of the WiP Thread be improved?
I think it's perfectly fine.
-What type of updates would you want to see first (screen shots, GUI, character emotions/second pose, etc)?
GUI and character emotions/second pose
-Do you have any comments or critiques on the plot, characters, and or gameplay? We'd be happy to hear it.
Hmm...now let's see. I think the plot and gameplay are really interesting. :D
Do your very best ^_^

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#3 Post by Katta »

Everyone looks great, but I personally really like journalist heroines, they are usually quite witty, looking forward to her dialogs with Boss and eccentric options)

Wall of text in Gameplay is a bit frightening...

-What type of updates would you want to see first (screen shots, GUI, character emotions/second pose, etc)?
Will there be cgs?
Does [???] mean that there'll be 3 more people to interview?

-Do you have any comments or critiques on the plot, characters, and or gameplay? We'd be happy to hear it.
The title seems a bit plain for such a fun-looking game.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Googaboga »

Kyra10 wrote: -What type of updates would you want to see first (screen shots, GUI, character emotions/second pose, etc)?
GUI and character emotions/second pose
Okay I'll keep that in mind for the first update :>. Thanks for the compliments and encouragement ^^.

Katta wrote: -Could the format of the WiP Thread be improved?
Wall of text in Gameplay is a bit frightening...
Good point. Although I really would like some critique on that D:. Okay I just added a link to the description. That way only people who want to see it have to. Thanks for the input C:.
Katta wrote: -What type of updates would you want to see first (screen shots, GUI, character emotions/second pose, etc)?
Will there be cgs?
There will be a nice cutsey/chibi-ish ending CG for each interviewee. Since there are so few I'm not sure if I'll show one early but if enough people want to see one it probably won't be that big a deal.
Katta wrote: Does [???] mean that there'll be 3 more people to interview?
Yep. There are six "character paths" for six different interviewees. I hope to have a new one up by next week :3. It hopefully won't be all that long before all the characters are added.
Katta wrote: -Do you have any comments or critiques on the plot, characters, and or gameplay? We'd be happy to hear it.
The title seems a bit plain for such a fun-looking game.
Haha very true :'D. Back when this game was just getting started iiStarCandy had reopened requests for logos. She had already made a logo for another game I intend to make in the future so I hoped she would do this one as well. There wasn't really a name for this game at the time but I wanted to apply before all the spots were filled and so yeah. It's not a great name but the logo is very nice 'XD.
In-Progress:
Released:

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#5 Post by merdeamour »

Overzealous guy. His sense of style calls out to me ((:
Nah, I think it's just fine. I love how you included a link to the description of the gameplay.
Non-chibi sprites, please? :D Also, some CGs?
-Do you have any comments or critiques on the plot, characters, and or gameplay? We'd be happy to hear it. Here is a link to a description of the gameplay if you'd like to make a critique about it:
I like the idea of doing interviews--I'm addicted to the Nancy Drew games, where you 'interview' people to solve the case, so I'm excited about a VN like this!
Also, will that be your final logo? It's a bit hard to read...
Last of all, um... Is this commercial? (I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere ;_; )
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Googaboga »

merdeamour wrote:-What character(s) interests you most?
Overzealous guy. His sense of style calls out to me ((:
I'm glad to hear it. His design had the most revisions and took the longest to finalize XD.
merdeamour wrote: Non-chibi sprites, please? :D Also, some CGs?
Okay I added a section under the Screenshots where you can see just the plain individual character sprites for the characters revealed so far :].
merdeamour wrote: Also, will that be your final logo? It's a bit hard to read...
Last of all, um... Is this commercial? (I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere ;_; )
Yep that is final logo. Sorry you have trouble reading it ;o;. Oh right I didn't mention that anywhere ":>. The game is free ^o^.
In-Progress:
Released:

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#7 Post by merdeamour »

Googabooga wrote:The game is free ^o^.
Those lovely, lovely words. You have my 100% support. Such beautiful art, a story that sounds great... all for free? Thank you~!
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Googaboga »

And thank you for the support :]. We hope to have the game out later this year (probably in December) if everything goes as planned.
In-Progress:
Released:

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#9 Post by AntiquedFae »

Ooh, this sounds really interesting! I love playing introverted, word-loving typesgee, I wonder why!
Anyways, I really like the idea of a game centered around interviewing people and finding out more about them! Because I am a total snoop and love collecting information. The main character sounds like someone I would love to play as. Is she more of a pop-culture journalist, or does she write more semi-investigative things? I'm just wondering, as from her character description she sounds more like a thinking sort of journalist, but then from what she says about the other characters she sounds kind of more...hmm, gossip-columnist-ish? This is probably just me though. ^^
;
Out of curiosity, is there going to be some sort of overarching mystery plot about the island and/or its history? Beware the paranormal intrigue and mystery dork. Sorry, I just needed to ask! :roll:

Wow, December is very soon! o.o I am amazed by your ambition! I'm really excited to play it when it comes out! You have my support for sure~ Best wishes!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Googaboga »

Update-
I added another interviewee to the list and I added his sprite to the screenshot section. He doesn't have an actual screenshot yet, I'll pick a scene and add it later though. This particular interviewee is certainly not as approachable as the other three.

It will be awhile before the final two interviewees are added. But I'll still update with other things like GUI, character emotions/poses, etc.
AntiquedFae wrote: Is she more of a pop-culture journalist, or does she write more semi-investigative things? I'm just wondering, as from her character description she sounds more like a thinking sort of journalist, but then from what she says about the other characters she sounds kind of more...hmm, gossip-columnist-ish? This is probably just me though. ^^;
Basically a more hard-hitting type of journalist is what she aspires to be. But her actual work tends to be sort of frivolous and or gossipy articles. (Especially as of late. She's probably hired for that kind of job repeatedly because she does it well XD)
AntiquedFae wrote: Out of curiosity, is there going to be some sort of overarching mystery plot about the island and/or its history? Beware the paranormal intrigue and mystery dork. Sorry, I just needed to ask! :roll:
Haha that would be a lot of fun :>. Unfortunately though the game is as simple as can be. The goal is just to complete the job and if you're lucky you might meet an interesting person that you may even want to see again sometime. I figured it would be better to keep things pretty basic since originally I was the only writer and this was my first time writing for a VN. Now I'm not the only one but it's probably too late to add in a mystery X3.
AntiquedFae wrote: Wow, December is very soon! o.o I am amazed by your ambition! I'm really excited to play it when it comes out! You have my support for sure~ Best wishes!
Thank you :D. As long as one of the writers or the sprite artist doesn't get unexpectedly busy we should make the goal or at least release the game during the month or so after the goal. The writing and sprite are essentially all that's left to really work on (well that and coding but I can't code anymore until there is more script XD).
In-Progress:
Released:

AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: FI: Interview [Platonic GxB/G] [Comedy/Friendship] Updat

#11 Post by AntiquedFae »

Googaboga wrote:Basically a more hard-hitting type of journalist is what she aspires to be. But her actual work tends to be sort of frivolous and/or gossipy articles. (Especially as of late. She's probably hired for that kind of job repeatedly because she does it well XD)
Somehow, that fact about her doesn't surprise me. :lol:
AntiquedFae wrote:
Googaboga wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there going to be some sort of overarching mystery plot about the island and/or its history? Beware the paranormal intrigue and mystery dork. Sorry, I just needed to ask! :roll:

Haha that would be a lot of fun :>. Unfortunately though the game is as simple as can be. The goal is just to complete the job and if you're lucky you might meet an interesting person that you may even want to see again sometime. I figured it would be better to keep things pretty basic since originally I was the only writer and this was my first time writing for a VN. Now I'm not the only one but it's probably too late to add in a mystery X3.
It makes perfect sense that since this is your first VN you went for something with a simpler plot! The premise sounds like a lot of fun to me! I'm happy you like the idea of a mystery though. Maybe next time. Oohoohoo~ :3 -shot-
Googaboga wrote:Thank you :D. As long as one of the writers or the sprite artist doesn't get unexpectedly busy we should make the goal or at least release the game during the month or so after the goal. The writing and sprite are essentially all that's left to really work on (well that and coding but I can't code anymore until there is more script XD).
Ooh, wonderful! I will be cheering you guys on for sure! In spirit and not body, or else there will be hospitalizations and law suits! :shock:
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Googaboga »

Haha poor Susan. Hopefully things will work out for her though and she'll be able to do what she dreams of doing.

Yeah I'd definitely like to do a mystery someday. But it'll certainly be a while before it happens since I have no ideas for a mystery and that's kind of an important part XD.

Thanks for your support <3.

There should be another update in the next couple days. This one will be the line art of the overzealous guy's different expressions. His second pose will come after that. It's too bad he's such a chipper guy because I'm pretty partial to his sad expression so far :lol:.
In-Progress:
Released:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Googaboga »

I updated the OP again. I added a new section for character art since the screen shot section could only be applicable for so long. Overzealous guy's emotion set isn't done yet so his second pose ended up being added first instead.
In-Progress:
Released:

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#14 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Adorable art! Good luck with progress~!! I'll be sure to keep an eye on this!
i'll cry if you yell at me

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Googaboga »

Thank you very much. I'm sure hearing that will make the artists happy C:

I updated the OP again with a sketch done by AriaAi. Thanks Aria :3.
In-Progress:
Released: