Hospitality ;; a medieval - fantasy set VN updated 10/10

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lovebby
Regular
Deviantart: lovebby

Hospitality ;; a medieval - fantasy set VN updated 10/10

#1 Post by lovebby »

I have a tumblr link here! It's much easier to update that site, but I will do my best here as well!

updates :

10/10
Ah, sorry for taking so long to update this page. I've gotten used to updating the tumblr page. Hopefully I can make both the tumblr page and this thread more fancy with nice graphics and the like, but for now...

•There are two currencies as well. Working and doing tasks for others will earn you currencies. Be careful that you won’t have to compensate anyone for your actions!
•Cooking, mentioned below.
•One other thing, animations!
It’s been a tricky, long bumpy road. But I’ve been able to throw in some good animations!
Blinking, snow falling and animated items so far. I don’t know about you, but that gets me excited.
And lastly, the artwork on the tumblr's background: link

10/5
•The game will have an information screen of the characters you meet, with a progress bar to see how relations are going.
•Depending on the location, some characters will use more medieval dialogue.
•I’m looking into redrawing the current sprites. I’m not the happiest with them, and I ought to do it before I get too far into the game, so we shall see.
Maid artwork : link
Current Progress

This is my first VN so it without saying take quite a while for me to get all the coding right. I am doing everything by myself as well,. so production will be slow. Despite that, I am very determined and ambitious about this project!

Currently focusing on:

The storyline
Main Menu Artwork
researching for bg artwork

• Artworks
Current artwork of Characters:
Characters will undergo changes throughout the game, depending on location, season and more.

• Gwen
The Main Character

As a new arrival, Gwen is a bit awkward and soft spoken, trying not to step on eggshells. Normally she is rather blunt if not sarcastic, and some kind of stubborn though a caring and rational person.

Throughout the story both her adventurous and realist traits will clash, and the user will steer her in which way to go.
    • Eliza-Beth
The Boss

Eliza-Beth runs the maids in the Castle. She isn't hard to please, but can be harsh in punishment, so keep on her good side!

• Soldier and Maids

You first meet this soldier at the castle gate. Not the happiest horse in the stall.

Maids that are very on edge and emotional. It might just be best to stay out their way entirely!

• The ???
Nothing besides the fact that Eliza-Beth knows this character is known.

• Items
Items will be given and received throughout the game. They will often appear to start an event or interact with.
    • Cooking

•Though at it's earliest stages, Cooking will be a part of the game!
Get that pot boiling to make all kinda of pottages, and other various medieval inspired meals!
•There's two examples above that you can buy.
•You’ll be cooking for yourself, and eventually if you have the luxury, you can cook and give some for love interests or friends to get that extra boost in your relationships. Just try to see if you can uncover some of their likes first.
•Eventually, I hope to throw in a gardening system, so you’ll at least be able to grow a few things.

• The Story
This is a work of fiction. It's sometime in the medieval period, with no historical references and fantasy addictions.
You watch the story of Gwen, a farm girl just moving into the Castle Town. She's living in a cozy cottage, and is recommended a job at the Castle as maid work. With you to guide her way, she will go through the pandemonium of lowly and hectic castle work, different relationships with varied characters.
If that wasn't enough, the world has it's time for a change. A plot is boiling, and will effect everyone, particular those in the Castle Town.

Will she make it through this?
    • • Gameplay
•There will be many chances for user interaction, with menus where you can choose what action to do or what to say. It will effect the progress of the story, and will even affect how the game will end.
•A points system is being implemented, being a feature of, again, the user interaction mentioned above. Relationships, both platonic and romantic if you choose, will determine how the story moves forward and with whom. A profile page for the characters is working, though will most likely be tweaked to add more features soon.
•Aside from the main story, you will be able to explore your environment(s), finding out valuable information that is both for fun and sometimes story-wise, and doing quests for other as favors or to progress the story.
•Search the castle or the town and think for yourself and with what you've collected to solve the mysteries you'll face!
•Original artwork with many sprites of characters, main and minor, backgrounds and CGs to experience!.
Last edited by lovebby on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:45 am, edited 11 times in total.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: Hospitality ;; a medieval - fantasy set VN

#2 Post by merdeamour »

That's some cute art <3 I was excited when I saw that this is something set in a medieval fantasy world >//< Anyway, I'm eager to see what the story is about, I mean, more than what you posted...
1. What about the gameplay? Will this be an event-driven game, a star-raising one, or...?
2. Is this an otome, or are you planning to make this story not just focused on romance? (Sorry, had an idea that it's an otome because of the Castle Guard >< )
3. Lastly, 'cause I'm curious... Are you doing everything by yourself?
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

lovebby
Regular

#3 Post by lovebby »

Thank you! And aw yay, glad to have another medieval fan around! I think the BG would be most medieval~.
Ahah, yeah, I'm still coming up with how I want the story to go myself.
I know where I'm going, just still deciding how to get there really.

What exactly is event driven? Like depending on the choices?
There's going to be points, once I figure it out!
And aha, with just the MC and a male character I was pretty sure someone was going to ask. There will be romance, but it's not the total drive of the game.
And lastly yes! I've never really been good at sharing projects with others. And I've been wanting to get into some sort of coding or story, so why not both! Making my way~

Like stated though, I will most likely be asking for help, but hopefully just quick advice here and there.

NoahSindri
Regular
Projects: Truculence, Noraska:The cats valley
Organization: Sunset Productions

#4 Post by NoahSindri »

Nice work till now ^^ Good luck ;)

lovebby
Regular

#5 Post by lovebby »

Thank you! And thanks for the luck!
I'm slowly getting things done!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#6 Post by AntiquedFae »

You had me at medieval. Then you added fantasy. *o* In short, you've totally got me stalking this.

I really the art style, it's such a nice mix of anime, cartoons and realism; plus its own spin. From your description the main character sounds like she's caught in a fairly interesting situation! I'm curious about her personality and how she is going to handle what is happening to her. I'd love it if you would let us know a bit about what she is like. :)

As for gameplay: is it going to be a game with a lot of choices and a branching plot, or will the story be more linear? Perhaps there will be stat-raising? Will there be any mini-games, or maybe it will have a sim element? Apologies for dive-bombing you with questions, I'm asking because I'm interested! :)
This sounds really interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make! ^_^ I wish you the very best during development and will definitely play it when it's done!~ I hope everything goes well for you!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

lovebby
Regular

#7 Post by lovebby »

Ahaha I'm glad to have a stalker ;D!

And haha thanks again! I never know what to categorize the art specifically when someone asks xD;
Yes, interesting is one way to put it aha.
Hrm, personality, how to say. In the beginning, she's a bit intimidated and overwhelmed in the "big city" so to speak, which might make her a bit shy or awkward. But after getting more accustomed, she's normally strong-willed to a fault, a bit stubborn but otherwise a caring, rational person. She's a bit adventurous, but a realist, that will clash often. The player can determine which of her sides to humor.

Gameplay!
Lot's of choices and branching points, yes~ By linear you mean the opposite right? Smooth sailing?
I'm not sure about stat raising just yet, possible. If I have mini games, I'd try to put stat raising I suppose, since I do love stat raising myself P: Sim element? As in dating and such?

Nop problem! I'm still new to VP and the forum, so it's informative on what to say and think for the story xD
I am very happy! I'll be updating the front page right now, with more artwork and more established info~
Thank you thank you! <3!!

lovebby
Regular

Re: Hospitality ;; a medieval - fantasy set VN updated 9/11

#8 Post by lovebby »

Updated all done!
Working on the script now.

Skaiya
Regular
Projects: My Lovely Pastry, Crystal Diamonds Shatter, IWSTBMTB
Tumblr: skaiya-art
Deviantart: skaiyaart

#9 Post by Skaiya »

Interesting art you've got there ^^
It gives a nice medieval feeling to it =)
Can't wait to see more!
My dA
My Tumblr
Currently working on:
My Lovely Pastry, Crystal Diamonds Shatter, IWSTBMTB.

lovebby
Regular

#10 Post by lovebby »

Thank you so much! Haha I'm glad. c:
Looking forward to posting more!

lovebby
Regular

Re: Hospitality ;; a medieval - fantasy set VN updated 9/12

#11 Post by lovebby »

Added some screenshots!
I'm a bit worried about thoughts on the backgrounds I did lol...

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#12 Post by Katta »

The backgrounds look really nice, but I wonder, why the first screenshot shows MC as a full-scaled sprite and the second as a side image...

lovebby
Regular

#13 Post by lovebby »

Ah, thank you! > u<
And I was wondering if that would bother anybody or something.
I'm planning on having the full sprites during the more main of the story, and when she's exploring around such, more like side things, it'd be a cute little side pic.
Might change it depending on.... things. xD;

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#14 Post by Katta »

Personally I prefer side-images and find it strange when MC appears on screen just like everyone else, but that can work well with 3 person writing. Hmm, you seem to write in 2nd person, that's somewhat unusual.

lovebby
Regular

#15 Post by lovebby »

Oh, I didn't really think of that...
And It's only in 2 person until you find out the MC's name, which isn't too far in at all.
Afterword it's in third person. Geeze, I didn't really realize this.
Thank you for pointing it out!