All the Pretty Flowers [VN] [Friendship, Drama] [Demo] [1/6]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
Hazel-Bun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy
Projects: A Simple Act • All the Pretty Flowers • Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Organization: Cherubim Scribes, LLC
IRC Nick: Hazel-Bun
itch: CScribes

All the Pretty Flowers [VN] [Friendship, Drama] [Demo] [1/6]

#1 Post by Hazel-Bun » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:08 pm

"Hey Mista'?"
"Yes, my child?"
"Have ya eva killed a man, b'fore...?"

Title: All the Pretty Flowers (A.t.P.F)
Format: VN [Family, Friendship, "Utopian" Futuristic Society, Drama, Warfare]
Part(s): Book 1: Carnation; White
Tagline:Amor Vincit Omnia (Love Conquers all Things)"

Setting: A.t.P.F is set in a world divided on many fronts. Divisions between people, nature, technology and the haves and the have-nots. Many segments of the world have remained untouched while others are heavily populated and developed. The Child and Man come from a borderland where a decaying, futuristic city lies just beyond the horizon, nearly swallowed whole by a vast desert landscape. Currently, a war is raging just beyond sight and looms like the shadow of Death. The Child is one of many refugees from another complex that is living on the outskirts of Paradigm within government issued barracks. While the Man's origins are currently unknown, he has knowledge of the inner-workings of their society that he shouldn't, and could prove dangerous to his and their safety.

Plot: A small Child and an unnamed Man stand alone in a desert like landscape. Little grows there, death surrounds them, but they find peace in each other and a small flower field that blooms nearby. Solace in silence, understanding coming with the exchange of board and intangible concepts. They talk some, laugh little and contemplate age old questions too big for the Child's small mind and limited experiences. War rages around them yet in each other they find out that somethings are more lasting than the scars it has left behind, the families it has torn apart, the fractured society that was built upon its call to duty.

As the night draws near and the never ending cycle of life starts back up again... time slipping away from them... they try to crack the biggest questions of them all.

What happens when you die...?

Does life even matter in the end...?

Among all that decays is a prevailing truth: love is eternal even if life itself is yet ephemeral, and full of regret...

A musing on life themes over the course of five days between a hatchling and a machine, trying to solve life's biggest questions. They come to a greater understanding of themselves and their role in the world at large through the curious language of flowers and past experiences. Brought to you by Hazel-Bun of Cherubim Scribes and the wonderful artist euphorics!

Itch.io & Game Jolt Page
{x}{x}

All the Pretty Flowers Development Blog
{x}

Cherubim-Scribes on the Web
{x} {x} {x} {x} {x}

All the Pretty Flowers Original Music
{x}

All the Pretty Flowers Voice Acting Samples*

Patch
{x} {x}

Melchior
{x}

Genesis
{x}

"Hey Mista! Yer a silly lil' goose~"
Patch 'The Child'
"A young, lively and obviously poor kid, with worse grammar and a thick accent. They* carry and initiate the conversation between themselves and The Man revolving around a very adult subject... death and it's meaning. Seems to know The Man from a previous encounter or encounters and loves pretty and delicate things."
*They, They're, and so on, are used as stand-in pronouns. Patch is a girl if anyone was wondering and, the use of they will probably reflect this after I make changes to the script.

"I can not know what I have never been taught or experienced first hand... Forgive me. I'll try to understand once more."
Melchior 'The Man'
"A blunt, intelligent and mysterious rogue of a man who appears to live in an underground bunker, inside Ahshar Oasis, on the outskirts of town. Despite his great knowledge, ranging from old Latin phrases to the minute details of weapons of war, he knows little when it comes to everyday things like comforting and sorrow. Knows The Child in question and is the 'protector' of the small flower field that blooms within the desert."

"Then why don't you tell me sir, what's the right path? Shouldn't I just take up the sword? You can't live off of kindness, you won't get full off mercy alone."

Benjamin 'The Scholar'
"A brother and a born leader, Benjamin relocated to the edge of Paradigm with The Child a little over a year ago. Always known for his brains and will to succeed, Benjamin dreamed of riding through the 'pearly gates' and entering the high life of the capitol's citizens long ago. After witnessing firsthand the brutality outside its very doors, he now heads a counter-revolutionary guard."

"Oh can it why don't ya! All that weepy, weepy, woe as me bullcrap makes me absolutely sick..."
Lumeria (Loo-mare-ee-a) Kendrickson 'The Wounded Warrior'
"A former denizen of Paradigm, and only child of a decorated military family, Lumeria's life had been nothing but one long road to greatness till the faithful day she lost the use of her left arm, right eye, and most of her hearing. Now cold and hardened to what she views as the 'necessity of violence', she's sworn vengeance against the terrorist that attacked her family that day. Lives with The Child and their Big Brother Ben."

"Life is a game of chance and reason in which only the strong survive. I can reasonably assume that your chances of beating me are slime to none... therefore, your life already belongs to me."

Commander Sparks 'The Pragmatic Villain'
"A well spoken and high ranking member of The Republic's military, Sparks is a cruel man whose intentions are anything but noble or just. He rules the Outliers, Paradigm speak for the refugees, with an iron-fist, extorting what little money, products, and food they have for his own gain. He is not all evil though, because, he believes there is no such thing. Sparks has a fascination with robotics and the study of mending humans into super-beings, the study and practice of which has now been banned under the supreme law of the land."

"Melchior, won't you come with me? It's lonely out here... in the abyss."

Genesis 'The Light'
"A young woman who was killed in the days just prior to the ceasefire, that now rules the uneasy alliances in the desert, Genesis was a kidnapping victim who met Melchior while being punished for running away. She acts as a guiding force for good in Melchior's life and, up until meeting Patch, served as his only friend if only in memory."

". . ."

Tato 'The Illusion'
"A silent shadow that seems to haunt Melchior, Tato's presence is the only thing that can strike fear into his heart. His origins are unclear but, the young boy is covered head to toe is burn marks, donning a gas masks, forever condemning Melchior for sins he can't even remember."
Minor Characters May or May Not Get Profiles and Sprites.
Guest Art Section:

(WIP)

Brief World History:

Patch is a refugee from an age old conflict in AtPF's world dubbed simply The War, a war that has been going on for so long in this VN's history that no one really knows why they are even fighting in it anymore. She (though you can use he, Patch doesn't mind) meets Melchior (pronounced mel-key-or) after he rescues them from being stranded in the Ahshar (aah-sh-aaer) desert, while running away from bandits. Three weeks on, the story starts from there.

The two powerhouses in game are The Empire and The Republic (no this is not Star Wars tehe), who have sworn to fight till the very last man, woman and child for a reason that will be uncovered along the way.

The Republic (Patch's country and setting for the VN) is actually a military state ruled by a man simply know as Our Leader or Dear Leader in game. There are five major sections or, city-states, within The Republic which rests in an uneasy alliance in order to bring down the enemy of their enemy (Curlfort, Fortuna Prospera, Dalitos, Raptro, Zion and the home of the capitol, Eden).

The capitol is called Paradigm but is referred to as Paradise. Ahshar is a decimated section scorched from fire raids of Eden, now serving as a buffer zone between the two, larger enemy nations.

The year is 2081, the world is not utopian nor all at war. A ceasefire and gateway to a truce has been broken after a dangerous game of brinkmanship that spiraled out of control. Think of it as you'd view wars in a foreign nation, that keeps building momentum and swallowing new member-states into the conflict, until everything goes to hell. That's were this alt. Earth's timeline is now.

Screenshots+ More:
<CG Preview(s) Pg. 4>
<Mockup Below>
<GUI Elements Below, Pg. 4 and 5>
Resolution: 1350x950 (Will add two more resolutions)
Endings: Three (main) in total
Rating: Currently Pg-13 (Mentions of sensitive topics as well as minimal cursing)

Progress:
Book 1: Carnation; White
Story: Count (??) (7/7 Arcs completed) (In-Flux)
Outline: 100% (Done)
- Arc 1 | Murder; Intent; Intentions (100%) (Being proofed/rewritten) (Demo Script)
- Arc 2 | Fear; Memory; Desires (100%)
- Arc 3 | Naivety; Corruption; Vanguards (100%)
- Arc 4 | Freedom; Patriotism; Loyalty (100%)
- Arc 5 | Love; Hate; Neutrality (??%)
- Arc 6 | Patience; Humility; Chaos (??%)
- Arc 7 | Amor Vincit Omnia (??%)
Book 2: Lilies of the Valley; Black
[NO DATA]
Book 3: Rose; Blue
[NO DATA]
Proofreading: ??% (In-progress for the demo)
Programming: 80%
Script: ??%
GUI: 100% (Done)
Demo: 100%

Sprites:
Concepts: 10% (Done)(Patch's Done)
Completed: 1/? (Done)

SFX Collect: 8/? (Done)(Indefinite as of now)
Logo: 2/1 (Done)
Icon: 1/1 (Done)
Backgrounds: 1/? (Done)(Revisions Done)
Music: 10/10 (Collected/Commissioned) (Done)

CGs: 3/? (+Variations)(In-Progress)

Credits:
euphorics for supplying the bootiful artwork, gorgeous logos and first round of proofreading
Syerya for working on the artz
Jamendo for the nifty BGM
Freesound for the much appreciated SFX
Dafont and Fontfabric for, well, the fonts
ROCKYIII for the awesome commissioned tracks
Luce Jumble the Beast for the GUI
ZEFK for programming the bulk of the game
Trina for voicing the Child
*naqlada for voicing the Man
Sayashiro for voicing Genesis
Haze for helping to bag and tag my plot bunnies
Reikun the Amazing for offering to design another logo (whoot) and an official one for the group, C.Scribes
Everyone who's accepted my guest art request(s)/pitiful begging
The beta-testers and proofers for rocking
Cherubim Scribes team members for helping to fix the code, bounce ideas, ect.
TBA

*naqlada is no longer voicing the Man but, his voice is still being used in the demo

<><><>

1/6/15

- Wiped the progress chart here clean again!
- Ben's sprite is done
- Headshot of Lumeria added
Attachments
MelPro.png
Melchior's headshot
image.jpg
AHHHHHH--! euphorics birthday gift/their first white Christmas
sl_selected_hover.png
Settings Screen Ver. 2
sl_hover.png
Settings Screen Ver. 1
prefs_selected_hover.png
Preference Screen
mm_hover.png
Main Menu
image.jpg
Game Icon
image.jpg
Logo Ver. 2.2
image.jpg
Logo Ver. 1.1
Photo Sep 21, 6 43 38 PM.png
The Child Full Body Sprite
Mock Screenshot.png
Mock Screenshot
desertbg2.png
BG Version 2
The Child.png
The Child Headshot
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:44 am, edited 179 times in total.
ACTIVE:
[A Simple Act]
[All the Pretty Flowers]

HIATUS:
[The Texture of Love]

SERVICES:
Writing Commissions [OPEN]

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: All The Pretty Flowers [KN] [Friendship, Life-Themes]

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Super cute art!
i'll cry if you yell at me

Golden.Fleece
Regular
Projects: Maienzauber
Organization: Golden Fleece Creative Productions

#3 Post by Golden.Fleece » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:43 pm

I like the sprite art style. Kudos to you!

euphorics
Regular
Tumblr: niraniranegi
Deviantart: euphorics

#4 Post by euphorics » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:24 am

Oh gosh, thank you so much for the compliments on the art!! ;___;
SO EXCITED FOR THISSSS
bring on the shotas
tumblr devart

Armee
Veteran

#5 Post by Armee » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:01 am

Hehe I expected you two to make a KN when I saw Bun posted in Senpai's recruitment thread :D It's nice to see this! The story seem light and nice. Really looking forward to see one of my fellows's story
Your art is kawaii-desu Phorics-senpai ˋωˊ

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#6 Post by Haze » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:54 pm

This seems like it'll be a wonderful story, if a bit bittersweet. The art is absolutely lovely, too. Got a question, though.
A short musing on life themes between a machine and hatchling trying to solve life's biggest questions.
I figure that the kid is probably the hatchling, but what do you mean by "machine"? Is the mysterious man a cyborg, or a robot? I'm really curious. :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

euphorics
Regular

#7 Post by euphorics » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 pm

I'll leave questions about the story and such to Hazel-Bun, because I'm afraid I'll accidentally spoil things, haha. > v > It's definitely a story to look forward to though, I can promise that much!

@Armee: Eheheh, I hope you'll enjoy it when it comes out, man!! u v u thanks for commenting ahhhh<33
bring on the shotas
tumblr devart

Hazel-Bun
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: A Simple Act • All the Pretty Flowers • Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure

#8 Post by Hazel-Bun » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:23 pm

UPDATES
Golden.Fleece wrote:I like the sprite art style. Kudos to you!
silverpikachu99 wrote:Super cute art!
Thanks guys :> I'm glad the art is being well received so far!
Armee wrote:Hehe I expected you two to make a KN when I saw Bun posted in Senpai's recruitment thread :D It's nice to see this! The story seem light and nice. Really looking forward to see one of my fellows's story
Your art is kawaii-desu Phorics-senpai ˋωˊ
Physic--! Hope it doesn't disappoint and I know, right? It makes my heart squeeze from an overload of cuteness!
Haze wrote:This seems like it'll be a wonderful story, if a bit bittersweet. The art is absolutely lovely, too. Got a question, though.
A short musing on life themes between a machine and hatchling trying to solve life's biggest questions.
I figure that the kid is probably the hatchling, but what do you mean by "machine"? Is the mysterious man a cyborg, or a robot? I'm really curious. :D
Glad you're feeling it as of now! *applauds euphorics* You'll just have to find out xD *throws super contrived reply to dodge the question* No, I can't reveal much as this is a KN and relies heavily on the story being told, so can't reveal much about it's most mysterious character. I will say that you have the hatchling part spot on though!

@euphorics Look at all that praise *V* Bask in it, bask!
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
ACTIVE:
[A Simple Act]
[All the Pretty Flowers]

HIATUS:
[The Texture of Love]

SERVICES:

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#9 Post by Starshine » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Very interesting, are the characters re-nameable? I'm assuming he main characters name is
"Patch"
although i could be wrong. The story is pretty interesting and unique. The story doesn't turn me away, it lures me towards your project, i would call the story more or less heartwarming, reminds me of a few games or films i've seen where someone takes someone who is in need of help under their wing and makes them into their apprentice or sidekick.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Hazel-Bun
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Starshine wrote:Very interesting, are the characters re-nameable? I'm assuming he main characters name is
"Patch"
although i could be wrong. The story is pretty interesting and unique. The story doesn't turn me away, it lures me towards your project, i would call the story more or less heartwarming, reminds me of a few games or films i've seen where someone takes someone who is in need of help under their wing and makes them into their apprentice or sidekick.
No, their names will be revealed during the course of the story, though! Good guess ^^
Good eye ehhhh Really should have renamed the file but it's nothing major so~
Thank you so much, glad it's giving off this impression! I hope it lives up to your expectations!

In other news, the sole BG is about 80% at the moment! We are also, defiantly, getting two commissioned pieces thanks to ROCKYIII. Word count is keeping up as well. Expect a big update this weekend or the next in terms or art and story count.
ACTIVE:
[A Simple Act]
[All the Pretty Flowers]

HIATUS:
[The Texture of Love]

SERVICES:

euphorics
Regular

Re: All the Pretty Flowers [KN] [Friendship, Life-Themes][Ne

#11 Post by euphorics » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Just posting to draw people's attention to the first post! u v u We're working steadily and making tons of progress, hoho~
And in reference to the latest update- art critique would be amazing and happily welcomed!! I'm always looking to improve, so any kind of comments, etc. would be super helpful ;_; Please be brutally honest!
bring on the shotas
tumblr devart

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: http://art.jphi.me/projects
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Organization: spaceNote
Tumblr: chocojax
Github: jenniferphi

#12 Post by chocojax » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Uhh, I hope this helps you out a bit. :)
The background: The coloring style would fit right in with the sprites. :>
The three objects in the back look a little bit too detailed compared to things in the foreground. Try making it "fade out" by having a light blue glaze over it? (Very much like how mountains look like from far away.)
I'm not too entirely sure what that strange rock formation is. It looks a little bit strange near the end, though. (If it's not supposed to be entirely curvy, it would be nice if the rocks had a non-uniform pattern, rather than a straight line as if they were perfectly aligned.)

Boy sprite: It's very colorful and saturated, which I'm quite jealous of. :P
His neck-shoulders look a little bit strange. It could be because they're so small, but then again, I have no idea how old he is, haha.
The neck does seem a little bit too long, though. Try shifting his head down a bit and seeing if it looks better or more strange. :/
Now that I'm looking at his mouth, it disturbs me slightly. Does... he have two rows of teeth, and then his tounge is underneath...? I-I can't tell.
The hat looks a little bit flat, but then again, the style seems generally flat. Just pointing it out, though.
Outlining the shade on his eyelid makes it stand out and also makes me think of it as some sort of strange mole? You should probably un-outline it.

euphorics
Regular

#13 Post by euphorics » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:42 pm

@chocojax:

dYING A LITTLE INSIDEkdlfkd-
To be completely honest after reading this I ran around the house going "NOOOOOOOO-" for a while before composing myself to answer this, haha otl otl;; This was really, really helpful though - thank you so much!!!
Ugh, tbh I made a terrible mistake and spent forever detailing the objects in the back - until I realized I had to make them fade out but didn't want to because I'd spent so long on it ;_; I actually did paint over them a bit with light blue, but I guess it wasn't enough arghhhh;;
Hahahaha- It was actually somewhat referenced from a photo, but yeah, it was bothering me a lot too and I couldn't quite figure out why! When you say end, do you mean the bottom of the rock formation, or the edges, or..?
His age was a bit ambiguous from the start, so I guess that accidentally carried over into the drawing, ack otl;;
I've also always had a problem with long necks whyyyyyy-
AND THAT MOUTH. DANG IT ALL- that was another thing that was bothering me for forever ;___; OHGOSH I WILL FIX THAT IMMEDIATELY, THANK YOU.
I didn't understand what you meant by the style being flat at first, but I think I get what you mean!! @@ It was half a stylistic thing and half laziness, haha...;; Still need to fix that hat though, thank you!
Ohgosh, the outline thing made me a little sad otl Cannot unsee the mole now omg- I'll change that immediately too!!

TL;DR I WILL FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE, THANK YOU SO MUCH. <333
bring on the shotas
tumblr devart

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#14 Post by Katta » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 pm

This background is super awesome, I like it so much) I like the sprite too, but the bg is just so beautiful I'm looking at it again and again)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: http://art.jphi.me/projects
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Organization: spaceNote
Tumblr: chocojax
Github: jenniferphi

#15 Post by chocojax » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:56 pm

To be completely honest after reading this I ran around the house going "NOOOOOOOO-" for a while before composing myself to answer this
Haha, that happens to me too! Although, my reactions have calmed down after a while, haha.
"Hahahaha- It was actually somewhat referenced from a photo, but yeah, it was bothering me a lot too and I couldn't quite figure out why! When you say end, do you mean the bottom of the rock formation, or the edges, or..?"
Umm, here's a really bad example, but an example nonetheless. (link)

"I've also always had a problem with long necks whyyyyyy-"
Haha, I have a problem with long necks too.

"TL;DR I WILL FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE, THANK YOU SO MUCH. <333"
You're welcome! Glad I could help. :>>