Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep [BxG][Mystery][Mummies][WTF]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
nipaa_kazuma
Regular

Re: Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep [BxG][Mystery][Mummies][WTF]

#16 Post by nipaa_kazuma »

The story seems funny and interesting to me so I gave it a try.

So about the game :
-I found the sprites, even if they are quite different, pretty good.
At first, by looking at the screenshots I was wondering if it will be okay,
but when I played it doesn't bother me at all, on the contrary I found them really cute and appealing.
-For the backgrounds and the dissolve effects : for me they were effective.
-The musics are adapted to the context and I don't think they were misplaced.
-I like the writting : the mix between fun and serious is well made
it makes me likes the characters and wondering what to do when I had to choose some of my answers.
I want them to be all happy ever after together =3 !
-I haven't had the bad end I choosed what seems the most logical to be "the very best".
So I choose to go tell about the emergency to Baniti since he was the most in danger and I save also the servant even if it wasn't on purpose.
Good work, I will certainly play the full version =D.

Mad_Scientist
Regular
Completed: Bipedal Bunny From The Moon With A Machine Gun And Helicopter Backpack Dating Sim
Projects: Summer in Trigue, Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep, The Five Figures, Unseen

#17 Post by Mad_Scientist »

So Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep is going to be having a major art change for two of its sprites. The reason? The awesome KittyKatStar commissioned two sprites for me from the also awesome Deji as a gift! So say hello to the new Imoutohotep and Nyanyanhotep!

Check out the demo of Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep, my mummy VN. Cause haven't you always wanted to play a Pharaoh in love with his mummy little sister? Oh, you haven't always wanted that? Uh... well... if you check it out anyways, I'll be happy. (Cannot guarantee your happiness though).
You can follow me on twitter at:
@MadNovelist212 My "official" account, follow for updates.
@MadScientist212 My personal account. Beware, I tend to babble.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#18 Post by Hazel-Bun »

They're super cute :D!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Mad_Scientist
Regular
Completed: Bipedal Bunny From The Moon With A Machine Gun And Helicopter Backpack Dating Sim
Projects: Summer in Trigue, Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep, The Five Figures, Unseen

#19 Post by Mad_Scientist »

Minor Update:

I've released a version of the demo that has Deji's wonderful mummy sprites, and have the updated the download links accordingly (they are also posted below). I also replaced a few screenshots in the initial post. I figured I really should have a version of the demo available that actually shows the best looking part of the game. In addition, the demo has had a bunch of typo fixes and some other slight script corrections. Aside from that it's pretty much the same as the demo I posted here before.

Please note, the way I format the script has changed from before, so saves from previous versions of the demo will not work properly, and previously read text will not carry over. Sorry, but I really needed to change the way I formatted things in order to make it easier to manage.

Anyways, if you were curious about DSI but hadn't yet checked out the demo, you should definitely get the version with Deji's mummy sprites.

EDIT:

There was some confusion about this on twitter, so to run the game you just need to unzip the folder and then find the "Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep.exe" file which should be in the main folder "DarlingShoujoImoutohotep-0.3-all."

Links:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/60ngp ... .3-all.zip

http://rapidshare.com/share/2CC47D9F3DB ... DB13166BF5

http://www.filedropper.com/darlingshouj ... tep-03-all
Check out the demo of Darling Shoujo Imoutohotep, my mummy VN. Cause haven't you always wanted to play a Pharaoh in love with his mummy little sister? Oh, you haven't always wanted that? Uh... well... if you check it out anyways, I'll be happy. (Cannot guarantee your happiness though).

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by philip »

@Mad_Scientist-

Just replayed the demo and really enjoyed it - again. Is there more on the way? You haven't posted for almost a year!

philip
Last edited by philip on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Mad_Scientist
Regular

#21 Post by Mad_Scientist »

philip wrote:@Mad_Scientist-

Just relayed the demo and really enjoyed it - again. Is there more on the way? You haven't posted for almost a year!

philip

Oh, so sorry. I'm afraid that real life, plus some other things, have been distracting me. In addition, I've started working with Winter Wolves on a VN (Summer in Trigue, a yuri dating sim), and as that involves other people and their work and they kind of count on me, that has been my primary focus.

But yes, DSI is still coming! And it will be better than otherwise (I've learned a lot, and improved as both a writer and a programmer.) Just expect a fairly lengthy dev cycle, but I'll try to be more diligent with updates and status reports.

And I'm really glad you enjoyed the demo! :)

KuroOneHalf
Regular
Completed: Cuttlebone
Projects: Somewhere In The Shade
Deviantart: KuroOneHalf
itch: kuroonehalf

#22 Post by KuroOneHalf »

Hey! Even though this thread was made a good while ago, I just now bumped into it.

Right off the bat that is a laugh-out-loud plot. The demo itself is also funny and you have a fun way with words. I feel like with some proper treatment this could be something really cool.

I'd just like to voice one complaint I have though, which is that I feel the script (or what's of it so far in the demo) makes too many embarrassing otaku culture references. In the sense that it's not just nerdy or peculiar allusions, but rather it feels like I'm watching a bad fansub. A big example of this for me was this scene. You could have easily localized it to be "silly" or "dummy" or something and retained the same feel, while not feeling like it's just a parody of the weirdest parts of the culture. Same issue with consistently calling a cat by neko.

Somewhat related, but I echo the opinion that Imoutohotep does not roll off the tongue and can perhaps make it hard to write some more serious moments.

I don't know what course you intend to take this in, and far be it from me to tell you what you should do, but I'm interested to see how this develops. Also good stuff to you for using stock assets and not getting stuck waiting to be able to write the script.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by philip »

@Mad_Scientist-

Thank you for replying to my inquiry. Ah yes, I understand very well how real life has a way of sometimes derailing our grandiose plans! Anyway, I will continue to lurk on this thread and look forward to the full-game release.

Best wishes,

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Mad_Scientist
Regular

#24 Post by Mad_Scientist »

Kuroonehalf wrote:Hey! Even though this thread was made a good while ago, I just now bumped into it.

Right off the bat that is a laugh-out-loud plot. The demo itself is also funny and you have a fun way with words. I feel like with some proper treatment this could be something really cool.
Thanks!
I'd just like to voice one complaint I have though, which is that I feel the script (or what's of it so far in the demo) makes too many embarrassing otaku culture references. In the sense that it's not just nerdy or peculiar allusions, but rather it feels like I'm watching a bad fansub. A big example of this for me was this scene. You could have easily localized it to be "silly" or "dummy" or something and retained the same feel, while not feeling like it's just a parody of the weirdest parts of the culture. Same issue with consistently calling a cat by neko.
Very good point, and this is an issue I intend to fix. Originally, this WAS just going to be a parody of the weirdest parts of Otaku culture and fetishes, and the "bad fansub" feel was supposed to kind of add to that. As I continued to write, the focus and style changed, but those earlier parts of the script were never completely brought into harmony with the rest, and some of the issues continued on till the end.

I definitely intend to make some changes, keeping some of the references and in jokes, but making it less, for lack of a better word, weeby.

Somewhat related, but I echo the opinion that Imoutohotep does not roll off the tongue and can perhaps make it hard to write some more serious moments.
I've thought about changing her name to Imoutotep, which is a bit shorter, but I'm undecided. The name's still pretty silly, so not sure if would help, but it's something I'm considering.
I don't know what course you intend to take this in, and far be it from me to tell you what you should do, but I'm interested to see how this develops. Also good stuff to you for using stock assets and not getting stuck waiting to be able to write the script.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
philip wrote:@Mad_Scientist-

Thank you for replying to my inquiry. Ah yes, I understand very well how real life has a way of sometimes derailing our grandiose plans! Anyway, I will continue to lurk on this thread and look forward to the full-game release.

Best wishes,

philip
Thanks for the well wishes! :)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#25 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Mad_Scientist wrote:I've thought about changing her name to Imoutotep, which is a bit shorter, but I'm undecided. The name's still pretty silly, so not sure if would help, but it's something I'm considering.
I think Imoutotep is fine---it references ancient Egyptian civilization and the little sister love interest trope, and it looks like that's what you're aiming for with your project.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain