Sweet Dreams [GxB][First Game EVER]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Jammy

Sweet Dreams [GxB][First Game EVER]

#1 Post by Jammy »

Q///Q Now that I'm writing this I'm scared! Eeep! Uh... I'm not sure where to start. Ok! So, in my spare time, which I used to have a lot of but have considerably less now, I started planning and making a game. I can't really decide if it's classed as a VN or an otome but it's definitely romance based. For the past two months I've been keeping updates on its progress on tumblr and the other day someone asked me if I had a thread here. I didn't. I use this forum a lot, even if I do only stalk threads rather than post, so I decided that maybe I should make a thread about 'Sweet Dreams'...

I'm kind of shy and not really talkative so if I don't reply to some posts please don't be offended Q.Q

Ok so, uh, about the game I guess. It's my first ever project and I'm still learning my way around Ren'Py so it's going pretty slowly... I have the characters basic designs done and most of their route specific story lines in my head at least. I haven't written much down though I have started to plan out and write the script though I'm not much further along than the prologue at the moment. Some people have told me I've been ambitious with my first project having 6 guys to pursue and, possibly, one girl. I'll explain more about that if asked ^^;;

The basic story is something like this. You play as Himeko, a 16 year old girl who suffers from precognitive dreams or, what's another way to put this, visions of the future while she sleeps. Usually she doesn't dream anything major, just little things like passing a certain person in the street or certain bits of conversation that will trigger deja vous (spelling sorry Q.Q). Though lately something has been off about her dreams. Since her transfer to Icolo Academy was accepted, a school that until recently was an all boys academy, she's had the same dream every night... What is it trying to tell her?
On her first day of Icolo academy Himeko meets 6 boys of varying ages and appearances around the school. Jun, the flirtatious 'senpai', Hiroki, the eternal 'little brother', Kin, the spoiled rich 'king', Isao, the otaku, Ryota, the 'bad boy' and Misaki, the shy 'prince'. These are the boys you can pursue in game. Himeko also meets Rina a girl who is to become her best friend and guide throughout the school (Rina was the girl I was thinking about adding story for and an ending but she already plays a big part in one of the boys stories...).

The rest of the story I think would be more fun to keep secret as it'll tie in to each boys route specific story...

I haven't got much else to say so far... Uh... My character designs are all on my tumblr so I guess I'll link that here too. If you have any questions and stuff I'll try to answer but I'm not very confident in my knowledge of the forums here or anything to know if I've even posted this in the right place... I don't think it goes under idea's because I have started working on it but... yeah.

Well thank you for reading all of my ranting and, um, I hope I manage to get my game out one day soon for people to try. Thank you again.
-Jammy

Tumblr; Sweet Dreams
Last edited by Jammy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qrii
Projects: Patchwork ; Lucente ; Mafiesta
Organization: Leveretta Studio

Re: Sweet Dreams [GxB][First Game EVER]

#2 Post by Qrii »

Hello dear. From what I have read, you haven't finish any actual progress except the character's design so I guess it's better be in Ideas forum instead of here. You should fill more details of the story in and include the art you made, too.

Jammy

#3 Post by Jammy »

Qrii wrote:Hello dear. From what I have read, you haven't finish any actual progress except the character's design so I guess it's better be in Ideas forum instead of here. You should fill more details of the story in and include the art you made, too.
Ah, I'm a bit afraid to show my art to a community that knows if art is good or not. That's why I just posted my tumblr link... And as for the story, my problem is probably that I focused more on the route specific stories first...

Um, I do have a question though. I'm only able to do traditional art so do you think it's worth it for me to commission a digital artist to draw my sprites and credit them in the game? I've been toying with the idea for a while but can't decide if it'd be best to draw them myself and clean them up on the computer or to have digital art commissioned instead.

Qrii
Projects: Patchwork ; Lucente ; Mafiesta
Organization: Leveretta Studio

#4 Post by Qrii »

It's fine, no need to be shy of yourself. Be proud ^^ You will have much more confident if you think positive. Well for the story, people would feel better if they see plot seperately, a few lines about each characters and organized thread. I'm sure most people would like to see some art instead of a wall full of text.
I checked and your art look lovely, no one say that you can't use traditional art for VNs. Do it yourself would save alot of money while commissioning can save time. But it will also waste money if you can't manage to finish the project so think carefully.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#5 Post by Haze »

I'm a bit afraid to show my art to a community that knows if art is good or not...
Well, seeing what you have so far, I think your art is quite nice! I'd play a game with your art in it. :D If you want to get some critique for your art, though, maybe you should consider posting in "Personal Art Threads", which is under "Asset Creation-Art", in case you're not aware.

I'll agree with Qrii, though, you might want to organize your thread a little bit. You don't need to spoil anything about the characters, but maybe a brief description of each character would be good. Example: John-this prankster is always hanging around Jane's shop. What's he up to...?(yes, I pulled this character out of thin air. XD). You can make your description longer, of course. It doesn't have to be just two sentences.

Good luck making your game!
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#6 Post by Ferdokki »

I think the story idea is interesting, and I like the different types of characters the main character can romance. n__n

As for your conversation about commissioning an artist (sorry, didn't mean to eavesdrop >.<), you can do the artwork yourself, or in the "Recruitment Services", you can post the description of your game and ask for artists to help.
There are some artists on this site who are willing to do the artwork for free. =)

At the same time however, your artwork is very unique, and if you have someone else do the artwork, I'm not sure if the same "flavor" of your artwork will be retained.