BKA24 - Language RPG/SIM

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
chris3spice
Regular
Projects: BKA24

BKA24 - Language RPG/SIM

#1 Post by chris3spice » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:40 am

Note
I'm posting this here, to see if there is enough interest for me to keep developing this game/story. I've already sunk a lot of time into it and will continue to do so if people want me too. I have a lot planned, but most of it isn't implemented because I'm not an character artist and it takes me forever to write (see status). All feedback will be welcome, I know there are some things I want to get fixed but they are minor and not necessarily bad so they will wait.

Status
Download: Here
I'm looking for some people to help me, this project is massive and if you've played you've seen my horrible writing for the intro :p
Artists: I would like to find a separate background artist and character artist, I like a stark contrast between the two and think this game could benefit from it (The art right now is mine (slimes, text/dialogbox and start screen), photos from google images and other places just to use as placeholders).
Writers: I have 24 girls plus other minor characters planned. All with their own dates and events. My plan is once I have the girl's profiles all posted, people can write their own short dates and we'll use them in the game. I have a friend helping me right now, so the next update should include meeting all the girls. I already have part of it in game but the event is blocked off.
Music: I would like to find someone who could copy a AKB song, and then also find someone to compose background music for the rest of the game (Right now the songs are all royalty free)

Story
We follow our main character who was accepted into the JET Program. The issue is he does not know any Japanese! He finds himself in the hands of Professor Bannosuke who has a machine to help him learn the Kanji and practice his Hiragana and Katakana through quizzes. After a couple times practicing he meets Miyako whom happens to be the leader of the J-Pop group BKA24, she introduces him to all the members. The possibilities are almost endless. This game has no ending, it is meant as a language tool, the RPG and such has no end and while the girls will be datable, they do not have any special endings (though I have a special event for when they confess). The plan is through the dating and other events it will help teach you grammar and vocabulary as some of the girls only speak Japanese!

Characters
You - The Main Character

Professor Bannosuke

The 24 Girls: Rei, Rikka, Yumi, Reiko, Rina, Nao, Youko, Hiroko, Izumi, Miyako, Yukari, Tsukasa, Ayami, Hikari, Keiko, Tomoe, Rin, Saki, Kumiko, Naoko, Kurumi, Kaoru, Sei, Chiyo

Fun Contest:

Code: Select all

All 24 of the girls comes from two Japanese Actors Characters, if you can tell me who the two actors are, I'll make you one of the extra characters in the game.
Screenshots:
Main Screen

Hiragana/Katakana Quiz
ImageImage

Kanji RPG
ImageImage

The Slimes:

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

Re: BKA24 - Language RPG/SIM

#2 Post by Ferdokki » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:21 am

Hi there!

I think your game is very cute, entertaining, and educational! :D
I also really like AKB48, so I'm sure your girls will be cool too. 8)

The one thing I am concerned about is that you said the game has no ending. I think that might hold off some people from playing the game.
What if you made it to where, as the player learns more of the language, they can be rewarded by being able to date the more popular/desirable girls? If possible, you can have little language mini-games during the dates that can help the player earn more romantic status points.

Btw, you mentioned that you might need help writing date scenes. If that still holds true, I'd be willing to help you out! :D

chris3spice
Regular
Projects: BKA24

#3 Post by chris3spice » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:03 am

Ferdokki wrote:Hi there!

I think your game is very cute, entertaining, and educational! :D
I also really like AKB48, so I'm sure your girls will be cool too. 8)

The one thing I am concerned about is that you said the game has no ending. I think that might hold off some people from playing the game.
What if you made it to where, as the player learns more of the language, they can be rewarded by being able to date the more popular/desirable girls? If possible, you can have little language mini-games during the dates that can help the player earn more romantic status points.

Btw, you mentioned that you might need help writing date scenes. If that still holds true, I'd be willing to help you out! :D
That is the plan, I thought I got that in the intro... I was going to have some of the girls only speak Japanese so before you could do anything you'd have to hit certain levels in the game with the Kanji and stuff in order to be able to go out with them. I figured not having a real ending will put some people off, but its a language learning game first and a VN second. Language is an ever learning thing so I don't really want there to be an ending, there is the special even for each girl I want though so those could be considered endings, because once you get those, its just back to normal dates and such, and I do have plans for breakups so you can actually go through the whole game getting with and breaking up with each girl to get all the special scenes.

Yes, I do need help with dating scene's I have to finish all the girl's back stories first that way you know their attitudes and such, then I'd take the stories and fit them into the system to get them the proper affection points

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#4 Post by Ferdokki » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:52 am

Well in that case, the game sounds awesome! :D

Take your time. Just hit me a PM when you're ready for help. :)

darkagent

#5 Post by darkagent » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:00 pm

The file size is to big for short gameplay... I really like the dungeon part from this game. :D

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#6 Post by AntiquedFae » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:35 pm

I generally don't go for dungeon crawlers, but the idea of it being a tool to learn Japanese definitely sounds like a lot of fun to me! I love learning new things, and the result of winning a battle when I get an answer correct sounds very rewarding to me! I'm interested in seeing how this develops.
Out of curiosity, what will happen when the player gets an answer wrong in a battle?
You can call me Fae!
I offer 110% free proofreading, editing and ideabouncing for select games. You can find out more in my thread.