Corona Borealis (GxB)(Family, Friendship, Romance)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Corona Borealis (GxB)(Family, Friendship, Romance) 2/18

#31 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Everything is looking good :) staying tuned for new updates!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#32 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I'm glad this thread got bumped, or I might have missed it! It's good to see another project that's willing to explore family relationships and friendships---elements that get cast off in favor of romance far too often. I'll definitely be playing this when it's released.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

PB&Jelly
Projects: Corona Borealis, Never Forget Me (Writer)

#33 Post by PB&Jelly »

Mad Harlequin wrote:I'm glad this thread got bumped, or I might have missed it! It's good to see another project that's willing to explore family relationships and friendships---elements that get cast off in favor of romance far too often. I'll definitely be playing this when it's released.
Thank you very much for your support! ^^

---

Deji just sent me Basil, so here are a few sample expressions from him.

ImageImageImage

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#34 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

The dad is so cute! Love his expressions.

Honest Critique

PB&Jelly

Re: Corona Borealis (GxB)(Family, Friendship, Romance) 2/25

#35 Post by PB&Jelly »

Deji has finished all of the sprites for the game. Aren't they wonderful? ^^ I've replaced all of the characters' concept art in the first post with pictures of their completed sprites.

Unfortunately, life is going to be super crazy mega insanely busy for me until the end of March, so I won't be able to program their sprites into the game just yet. I'll be sure to post an update with screenshots as soon as I am able, though. :]

Thanks for sticking with me!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Corona Borealis (GxB)(Family, Friendship, Romance) 2/25

#36 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Don't worry, PBJ (love your name, by the way)!

It's important that you deal with your "crazy mega insanely busy" life stuff first, so do what you have to do.

I should've checked back sooner, because Basil's expressions are adorable. I am going to have a very difficult time being anything but nice to him if he's going to pull that puppy dog look when he's upset. :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

PB&Jelly

Re: Corona Borealis (GxB)(Family, Friendship, Romance) 8/26

#37 Post by PB&Jelly »

Hello, everyone! I apologize for the lack of updates. A lot has happened these past six months, and I'll just leave it at that. That being said, I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on Corona Borealis. What little time I did have to work on it was crippled by lack of assets. My BG artist dropped off the face of the earth and I've had a difficult time finding someone to design GUI (although, I was able to talk to Deji at AnimeFest and she said that she could whip something up for me when she gets home.)

When I stopped receiving updates from my BG artist, I figured I'd teach myself how to design them. After several frustrated hours of messing around in SketchUp, I gave up on that idea. I've tried commissioning others, but they all eventually stopped responding to e-mails. I realized that Corona Borealis was just going to sit on my computer unfinished forever unless I compromised. So, I had to use free backgrounds. This means that the game resolution was restricted because it had to fit whatever size backgrounds I found. That being said, the resolution is 640x480. I hate that the resolution has to be so small, but I didn't know what else to do. (Deji's sprites deserve to be larger! She put so much detail in them that you just can't appreciate with such a tiny resolution... ;_; I'm sorry, Deji!) Furthermore, I didn't feel comfortable programming June's side sprite into the game without the GUI... >_<

The whole thing is rather unpolished and it pains me to release it this way... But, the thing is, I can't make this game on my own. I'm not skilled enough. This is the best that I can do right now. So, I'm releasing the unfinished demo and I pray that you all can look past its many blemishes and see something of value. If you like Corona Borealis and you think you can help make it better or know someone who can then please, please send me a PM. I pay everyone that helps me because I know hard work should be rewarded. I'll also be posting about this in the Recruitment thread soon, so keep an eye out for that if you're interested.

If you can't help, that's totally fine. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think about the game! I know that my writing is atrocious, but I appreciate comments and criticism regardless. I wrote a bulk of the script two years ago, so I cringe when I read my old writing, but I know that if I try to rewrite everything and make it perfect then Corona Borealis will never be released. I'm never fully satisfied with anything I do, and this especially applies to my writing.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone who has encouraged me along the way. I know I would have given up by now if it weren't for you all.

Here's the link to download the demo:
EDIT: Gone now! Sorry.

Ahhh! I'm sorry I rambled so much. ;_;

-Jill
Last edited by PB&Jelly on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eight Rooks
Regular
Projects: Mirt (chapter one)
Tumblr: therookshavereturned
Deviantart: EightRooks

#38 Post by Eight Rooks »

I know that most of this thread's a little old, but for what it's worth, I'm still impressed with the OP. The character designs are great, their little background summaries seem pretty well thought-out, and as other people have said, kudos on specifically trying to include friendship as well as romance, and with older as well as younger characters. It's a pretty gutsy step to take, and I admire that. I feel for you having to compromise to get the project out of the door, but that seems pretty brave too (I feel like I need that kind of determination!)... I'll have to download the demo.

EDIT: Just a warning that Chrome seems to think that zip file is malicious. Not sure why... maybe because it's got an .exe inside? (I trust that it's not, I'm just saying.)

Kikaharu
Regular

#39 Post by Kikaharu »

I was reading how you needed a BG artist and stuff. I'm just wondering if you still are searching so that one day this game will be finished or if you decided to give up on the game?

PB&Jelly

#40 Post by PB&Jelly »

Kikaharu wrote:I was reading how you needed a BG artist and stuff. I'm just wondering if you still are searching so that one day this game will be finished or if you decided to give up on the game?
Hey! I had to put the game on hiatus due to finances, but I've just recently started working on it again. If you're a BG artist looking for work, send me a pm with some samples and let me know what your rates are.

Kikaharu
Regular

#41 Post by Kikaharu »

PB&Jelly wrote:
Kikaharu wrote:I was reading how you needed a BG artist and stuff. I'm just wondering if you still are searching so that one day this game will be finished or if you decided to give up on the game?
Hey! I had to put the game on hiatus due to finances, but I've just recently started working on it again. If you're a BG artist looking for work, send me a pm with some samples and let me know what your rates are.
Sadly I am not. D: but if I was I would so help out ^^ because this seems like a really cool game.