Corona Borealis (GxB)(Family, Friendship, Romance)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PB&Jelly
Projects: Corona Borealis, Never Forget Me (Writer)

Corona Borealis (GxB)(Family, Friendship, Romance)

#1 Post by PB&Jelly »

Will June trade the glow of streetlights for fireflies and the cacophony of car horns for crickets?

Credits
Writing/Programming
Jill Harris (PB&Jelly)

Character Art/CGs
M. Beatriz Garcia (Deji)

Story

June Pinegar is forced to spend the summer working at her father’s quaint country café, far away from her urban home in New York City.
Will romance spark with the dutiful barista or friendship form with the bubbly cashier? Or perhaps she’ll mend the strained relationship between her and her quirky father.
One thing is certain: with each passing day, June is finding herself more and more charmed by the intoxicating mystique of the Southern town and its residents.

Corona Borealis is a heartwarming story that shows the lasting effects our lives are capable of having on others, as well as their effects on us.
Rather than just providing the player with romance options, it aims to explore the depths of non-romantic relationships, too.

Main Characters

June Pinegar (MC)
June is Basil’s daughter and the reluctant new employee at his café.
At first, she prefers to keep her distance from the others, but she matures and opens up as the game progresses.
Player’s choices will determine how hardworking or friendly she’ll be, which will in turn affect how other characters perceive and interact with her.

Basil Pinegar
Route Type: Friendship
June’s doting father and the owner and head chef of the café.
Passionate and driven, he can sometimes get a little too lost in his work.
His and June’s relationship is shaky at best, but he hopes to change that over the course of the summer.
He has an unhealthy love for coffee and the classic TV show “Star Journey”.

Logan Russell
Route Type: Romance
The barista and dishwasher at the café.
He is a hardworking and dependable employee that sets high standards for himself and places those same expectations on others.
His interest in engineering proves to be a useful skill, as it gives him an uncanny ability to fix anything that breaks in the café.
He plans on moving at the end of the summer to attend an out-of-state university.

Lacey Hopewell
Route Type: Friendship
The overly friendly cashier and dining room attendant.
Incredibly optimistic, it seems nothing can put a damper on her good mood.
She immediately takes an interest in June and goes out of her way to make her feel welcome.
She loves to talk about her fiancé, Mason.

Supporting Characters

Noah Hopewell
Route Type: Tied to Lacey's route, Friendship...?
Lacey’s introverted and awkward twin brother.
Unlike his sister, he is rather pessimistic and reserved.
Sometimes it seems like there’s something amiss between the two, but it’s difficult to know for sure.
He spends most of his free time inside writing bits of music and sketching in his notebook.

Features

- Play through June’s summer break (two months)
- Four different endings (one good ending for each character, plus one bad ending)
- Special “After Story” epilogues immediately following each good ending (three total)
- Detailed descriptions of food (yay!)

Contact

If you would like to lend your talents and help with the making of Corona Borealis, you can submit an application via PM.
Please include a list of any prior VN work experience and a sample of your abilities.
Submissions will be kept on file until an opening arises, then we’ll contact those who fit the job criteria.
We look forward to the possibility of working with you!

Questions & Updates
1. Which guy or gal is your favorite?
2. What are some optional features you'd like to see added to Corona Borealis? For example: English voice acting, an opening video, additional art (sprite poses, outfits, CGs), original soundtrack, etc.
3. If you could pick only one of the above features to add to CB, which one would it be?

Of course, I’m also open to any questions you have for me. ^^

12/15/2013 – The game has been completely written for some time now (aside from all of the questions June will ask her co-workers—I specifically want audience suggestions/feedback for that.) At this point in development, I’m just commissioning assets and programming them into the game as I receive them. I’ve already contacted an artist about the backgrounds and I have a few people in mind for custom GUI. So far, I haven’t run into any roadblocks while programming, but I might need to commission someone to help me out in the future.

1/13/2014 - Background production is underway and sprites should be finished before March. A GUI artist has also been contacted and commissioned.

2/25/2014 - All of the sprites are officially done. Yay!

8/26/2014 - Yucky, unfinished demo available for download on page three. Blech. Please let me know what you think.
Last edited by PB&Jelly on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:46 am, edited 13 times in total.

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: Corona Borealis (GxB)(Family, Friendship, Romance)

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

OHMYGOSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Another otome game that looks amazing :0~!!!!!!! Please continue this awesomeness!! I look forward to more progess. Good luck!
i'll cry if you yell at me

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

#3 Post by Sleipnir56 »

I really like the rough sketches of the characters and the plot is really interesting. I wanna play :) . Is there really only one romance option though?

PB&Jelly

#4 Post by PB&Jelly »

Sleipnir56 wrote:I really like the rough sketches of the characters and the plot is really interesting. I wanna play :) . Is there really only one romance option though?
Thanks! Deji's sketches are absolutely amazing. :)

I wanted to keep it simple, with one route emphasizing the importance of family, another friendship, etc. However, if you're a Noah fan, Lacey's after story includes
a little bit of romance between Noah and June. It's supposed to be a surprise, though. Shh!
Last edited by PB&Jelly on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

#5 Post by Kyra10 »

The logo is beautiful~
The art is gorgeous, and I love all of the characters! <3
I'd just love to play this when it's done. ^_^

BonBonBunny

#6 Post by BonBonBunny »

Ohhhh Noah is so cute!! I want to be keeping tabs on this one. n_n

Azariah
Regular
Projects: Ready, Set, Go!
Organization: Multiple Error

#7 Post by Azariah »

YAY! Another VN to stalk! I know that this has been said a lot of times but, the art is so gorgeous! I shall look forward with this. \\(O^O)//
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can be achieved."
- Napoleon Hill

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#8 Post by Googaboga »

I love heartwarming games about friendship and or family ;w;. I'm looking forward to this.

Congrats on getting the story done. I hope the rest of the game assets and programming goes smoothing for you and your team :3.

1. Which guy or gal is your favorite?
Probably Basil. He sounds fun and I am most excited for his route because I want to see him and his daughter get along :'D

2. In between work, June will converse with her fellow employees. If you were in June’s shoes, what questions would you like to ask the cast? You just might see your question answered in-game!
Um how about "If you had one super power what would it be?" or something ^^;. I know you want audience feedback so I'm sorry I can't answer this very well. I've been finishing a Q&A section in the game I'm working on and now I never want to come up with questions for characters to answer ever again DX.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

PB&Jelly

#9 Post by PB&Jelly »

Thanks for all of your kind words so far! I hope you all will enjoy Corona Borealis as much as I've enjoyed working on it. ^^ And it's been such a fantastic experience working with Deji. She really fleshes out the characters in a way that no one else can. I'm always excited when I receive an e-mail from her! :3
Googaboga wrote:Um how about "If you had one super power what would it be?" or something ^^;. I know you want audience feedback so I'm sorry I can't answer this very well. I've been finishing a Q&A section in the game I'm working on and now I never want to come up with questions for characters to answer ever again DX.
Thanks for your feedback! Every little bit helps. And I know how you feel--it's difficult to write small talk-type dialogue without it sounding hokey or contrived.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#10 Post by azureXtwilight »

I really love the fact that not all paths comes to romance (Yay for family path!). I will be looking out for this!

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by 15385bic »

i like the look of the supporting brother the most ^^'
and yes to a happy happy sounding vn - i've seen way too many dramatic/horror ones lately

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by gekiganwing »

Googaboga wrote:I love heartwarming games about friendship and or family...
Agreed. While I like romance stories, I think that main characters benefit when they interact with people other than (potential) love interests. If their relationships with family, friends, and other people are compelling, that's a plus.

PB&Jelly

#13 Post by PB&Jelly »

Googaboga wrote:I love heartwarming games about friendship and or family
azureXtwilight wrote:I really love the fact that not all paths comes to romance (Yay for family path!)
gekiganwing wrote:While I like romance stories, I think that main characters benefit when they interact with people other than (potential) love interests. If their relationships with family, friends, and other people are compelling, that's a plus.
Thank you! I was worried that players would be disappointed there isn't more romance, so your support definitely encourages me. Personally, I feel that relationships with family and friends can be just as (if not more) emotionally fulfilling than most romantic relationships. I hope everyone enjoys the family and friendship paths, despite the lack of mushy romantic goodness.

harajukulolita
Regular
Completed: None so far!
Projects: Currently working on... Starlight Wishes
Tumblr: loli-studio
Deviantart: harajukulolita

#14 Post by harajukulolita »

The fact that Deji is involved means the art will be awesome, I love the logo already, I'm looking forward to this game :D

Sora-Kuroi
Regular

#15 Post by Sora-Kuroi »

The plot is interesting and the art is amazing! *---* I'll be waiting for this VN! My favorite character is Russell >w< <3
I wish Hopewell were a dateable character, he looks so shy and cute <3