Magicians of Delphine[GxB][BxB][Dating Sim]ALPHA(July 8)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: Magicians of Delphine[GxB][BxB][Otome][Fantasy][Dating S

#106 Post by akemicchi »

daikiraikimi wrote:Haha, well, I'm sure it's a lot harder when you're actually writing it. I'm generally more of an idea person-- I come up with lots of ideas but then never do anything with them. ;.; Somehow I still remember them, so I've still got little story plots I made up in elementary school. I'm trying to get some of my stories out after discovering Ren'Py-- but I don't consider myself that great of a writer so we'll see. ^^; (I'm currently working on a game about centaurs, and have a writer on board which is a great help! But I feel not many writers would be willing to write about someone elses ideas, they would want to write their own...)

In any case, I'm glad I can help you brainstorm. :) You've got a great work ethic-- doing all the art and story and programming yourself-- and really that's more important to creating than just coming up with ideas because ideas never become anything without hard work.
Ooh! I'm glad you managed to find a writer! They're pretty rare, I agree. I agree that a lot of writers probably do prefer to have to do their own stories since I think the main reason you'd want to take up writing would be because you wanted to better express your ideas and imagination. Writing's just a skill. If we keep practicing, we'll get better! Just keep at it! :D

Ahaha, I've just reached the point in my game where I've dedicated so much time and effort that there's no way I can give up now or I couldn't live with myself. :'D
daikiraikimi wrote:
Ooh, I see, I see! That's really informative! I guess all I can really do is just stay true to the character, consider the character's point of view towards relationships, and go for it from there, huh? It seems like the kinds of relationships asexuals can have are pretty broad for the most part. There are those that enjoy romance, those that don't, those who are apathetic towards the romance in a romantic relationship... But that's probably true for all kinds of relationships people have, not just asexuals. You're right; it really depends on the person. I feel a lot more comfortable attempting to write about asexual relationships now. I feel like I can't fully understand it though without understanding sexual relationships. What makes a sexual relationship what it is other than the sex? I've heard people act differently around people they have sexual relationships with. In what way? Are asexuals somehow incapable of acting in that manner because they aren't interested in it?

... But, eh... I'm not going to tackle sexual relationships at all in my game (or probably any of my future games pfft). I'm just rambling...

( Also, I'm not sure why since it's so obviously wrong but I was under the impression that all romantic gestures are sexual gestures! derp. )

----------------------------------------

UPDATE

I've been mostly working on the GUI for MoD. These aren't final but I'll probably continue making it better as I go along. I'm trying to make it so that Aleo's sprite in the corner will change depending on whether you're a girl or a boy, but so far I haven't been successful in coding that. Haha. I bet I'm overlooking something really simple.

EDIT:
YEP I OVER-COMPLICATED IT. Just needed a really simple variable.
Still messing with the position of the elements :P I also want a Tooltip to pop up in the middle-right that gives an overview of what each item in the Preference screen does.
Still messing with the position of the elements :P I also want a Tooltip to pop up in the middle-right that gives an overview of what each item in the Preference screen does.
I have issues with deciding on the arrangement of the daily planner. There's only 8 options to choose from, though I did have 3 other extra options that I'm still on the fence about. For now I'm just going to stick with the 7 basic magic types so it won't be too difficult.

Anyway, about the gameplay. There are 7 types of magic. They each have a type. Fire and Wind are considered Attack magic, Water and Earth are Defense, Holy and Dark are Special, and Summon is raises all three.

As a player, would you like to be informed about what the choices raise every time? Each magic only raises two stats (Fire: Fire & Attack, Holy: Holy & Special, Water: Water & Defense), and I actually inform the players about what magic raises which stat in the game. I personally don't think it's that hard to remember-- they're arranged in pairs so the top two (Fire and Wind) raise Attack, the middle two (Water and Earth) raise defense, and so on, with the exception of Summoning which raises all stats. Just from reading it, is this system complicated? Or is it something that you'll just need to play to determine if it'll be hard to understand or not? Would I be babying you, the player, by having too many indications on how the system works? Would it get annoying to see all the time "THIS ACTION RAISES THIS STAT"?

I don't think having too much information is ever bad. I think it would be more annoying to forget what action raises what stat and have the game NOT inform you of what it is. That's why I'm asking.

Here, something like this, where when you hover over a button, it tells you what it raises.
screenshot0012.png
I was also thinking of just grouping them together and then writing beside it what type of magic it is.
screenshot0013.png
What else can I do to make this system clearer? I suppose there's color coding, but I'm not so good with designing and the colors will probably just end up looking out of place. Also, I could indicate the type by using a visual cue instead, like non obtrusive icons. Hmm...

I like the clustered look here (2x4 or 4x2 grid) but I have no idea where to put the Tooltip if I do it this way. A vertical alignment (1x8 grid) is nice too, but it's even harder to figure out where I should put the Tooltip on that one. Horizontal alignment (8x1 grid) is the neatest so far since the Tooltip can be shown either above or below it, but I'm having issues about the distance a mouse has to travel. I don't like having the mouse travel so far around the screen, especially considering how the Relax button is used more often than the other buttons and it's situated at the very end of the lineup. orz

What do you like?
I honestly can't decide. What if I make a preferences button the player can toggle to change the arrangement whenever they want? Would that be too excessive?

Okay, I'm gonna work on messing around with more code. ^q^
Last edited by akemicchi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demetis
Regular

#107 Post by Demetis »

Aaah this game looks really good and it's good to see that the development is going steadily as well ; v ; <3
-totally loves stats raising games-

As a player, would you like to be informed about what the choices raise every time?
Yes OvO Since it will be done via tooltips. If the game keeps asking me to confirm stuffs every single time, it would be annoying. But I think tooltips a neat and more information is always better XD
As for the grid type, I like 8x1 with the tooltip above the best. From all the choices it looks really neat. And I don't think the travel distance for the mouse will be a hinderance. At least I wouldn't mind it >w<
As for a preference option where you can toogle it around....well sure o.o If you want to mess around with the code XD I don't think it's really neccessary though >w< -sticks with 8x1 until the end- //slapped

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#108 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Personally I prefer the 1x8 layout. It feels less in the way.

If you did want to make it possible for the player to switch layout, one method could be to have a small button somewhere at the end of the boxes that will cycle through the available layouts. Not so big that it's in the way, but large enough that the player can probably guess what it does when they see the symbol on it.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#109 Post by noeinan »

I love what you're doing with the GUI! :D

As for the layout, personally I like the first one in your thread-- 1x8 with the tooltip above it. Since it's a tooltip, and isn't visible all the time, I don't think it will get in the way at all. And no one will forget what they do. (In the one where it's permanent, it will just permanently suck up that space.) I like the buttons at the bottom because you can see more of the background-- when it's up on the right side it just takes a big chunk out of the picture.

I also think the horizontal 8x1 looks better than the vertical 8x1 because it's more... Balanced looking? It's connected to the GUI at left, so it feels like it's all together. When you break it up, the strip looks like it's just floating there. Also, at least to me, losing a bit of the bottom of the picture isn't as jarring as losing a strip on the side. (Makes the background look small and narrow instead of just cropped.)
akemicchi wrote: Ooh! I'm glad you managed to find a writer! They're pretty rare, I agree. I agree that a lot of writers probably do prefer to have to do their own stories since I think the main reason you'd want to take up writing would be because you wanted to better express your ideas and imagination. Writing's just a skill. If we keep practicing, we'll get better! Just keep at it! :D

Ahaha, I've just reached the point in my game where I've dedicated so much time and effort that there's no way I can give up now or I couldn't live with myself. :'D
Yes, I think I'm just a little intimidated because it's been so long since I wrote anything non-academic. ;.; When I was in high school I had a few things published, but I'm so out of practice. Well, I suppose that just means I need to get back into practice, haha.
akemicchi wrote: Ooh, I see, I see! That's really informative! I guess all I can really do is just stay true to the character, consider the character's point of view towards relationships, and go for it from there, huh? It seems like the kinds of relationships asexuals can have are pretty broad for the most part. There are those that enjoy romance, those that don't, those who are apathetic towards the romance in a romantic relationship... But that's probably true for all kinds of relationships people have, not just asexuals. You're right; it really depends on the person. I feel a lot more comfortable attempting to write about asexual relationships now. I feel like I can't fully understand it though without understanding sexual relationships. What makes a sexual relationship what it is other than the sex? I've heard people act differently around people they have sexual relationships with. In what way? Are asexuals somehow incapable of acting in that manner because they aren't interested in it?

... But, eh... I'm not going to tackle sexual relationships at all in my game (or probably any of my future games pfft). I'm just rambling...

( Also, I'm not sure why since it's so obviously wrong but I was under the impression that all romantic gestures are sexual gestures! derp. )
Haha, yeah, I don't think you need to worry about it too much. Romantic relationships look pretty much the same as sexual ones do (in public-- unless the sexual couple has public sex...?) And yeah, the individuals personalities and such make much more of an impact on their interactions than the sexual/non-sexual aspect. (Some may think, oh but asexuals will be less flirty or make less dirty jokes but they would be wrong! While some asexuals are like that, and some sexuals are too, it's entirely possible to have the dirtiest sense of humor, or be extremely flirty, but not actually be interested in sex.)

On this specifically...
akemicchi wrote:I feel like I can't fully understand it though without understanding sexual relationships. What makes a sexual relationship what it is other than the sex? I've heard people act differently around people they have sexual relationships with. In what way? Are asexuals somehow incapable of acting in that manner because they aren't interested in it?
I feel the key difference lies in attraction. Sexual people feel sexual attraction towards other people. An asexual may or may not have a sex drive/libido-- but it's more or less directionless. They have no desire to express themselves sexually with other people. To a sexual person, though, having another person there enhances their sexual experience. Or makes them want to have a sexual experience?

The food analogy has been used frequently to distinguish the differences. So, say there are people and there are desserts.

A non-libidinous person never gets hungry. They simply have no appetite.
An libidinous person gets hungry sometimes, so they get something to eat and they feel better.
A gay person may only like doughnuts while straight people only like pie. Bisexuals/pansexuals will eat any dessert that looks tasty.
A sexual person will look at food, and even if they weren't particularly hungry they want to eat it. The smell or appearance or whatever specifically draws them to it, and makes eating that thing better than eating something else.
An asexual person will look at the food and it doesn't particularly have that affect. They may decide they're hungry, if they're libidinous, and decide to eat. Or they may not be hungry, and there's nothing to draw them in.
A celibate person may or may not want to eat dessert, but has sworn it off.

Well, I probably butchered that analogy, but... eh?

And as for sexual people acting differently around people they're interested in, unless they're super horny or something I think it's the same as a romantic person would act around someone they liked. The sexual aspect probably doesn't come into play much in public. I mean, for some people it may, like maybe they're super touchy feely-- not non-sexual folks can do that, too, so.

And I don't think asexuals are incapable of making these differences. Actually, asexual people who are not out of the closet can be really good at mimicing what they see in sexual people, because they think that's what's "normal" and what they need to do to fit in.

Anyway, I ended up rambling a bit, too, haha.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#110 Post by noeinan »

classg wrote:Thanks for such a nice description.
If that was directed at me, then you're welcome. :)

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: Magicians of Delphine[GxB][BxB][Dating Sim]-- DEMO (July

#111 Post by akemicchi »

Sorry for the late reply! I have a habit of disappearing so I can focus. orz As always, you're super insightful, daikiraikimi. :) Thank you so much for all the information-- I learned a lot!

As for game updates...

Update
Uploaded the alpha version of the game on the first post. It's super rough-- for example, most of the guy activity images haven't been done so you'll just see a female mc doing all the activities and everything is just lol in general. :'D Anyway, I'm totally open to critiques, so please let me know what you think, no matter how harsh it is. I want my game to be the best it can possibly be, and the only way I can do that is your input.

I changed the discussion questions on the first page, but feel free to complete ignore them and talk about other things about the game if you'd like. :) Thanks!

Oh! I also got myself a wordpress here: azamakesgames.wordpress.com
I'll update that whenever I get anything done or show off artwork I do. As for my Lemmasoft Thread, I'll do condensed updates of all the things I've accomplished.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#112 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Cool :D I'm download it shortly and play over the weekend! Glad to see it's not abandoned.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#113 Post by KittyKatStar »

Awww, the demo was so cute. >o< I loved all of the characters, especially Sho and Faeran.

I know it's a WIP, but everything is shaping up nicely, I really love the sprites and I can't wait to see their finished form.

Good luck with the game.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#114 Post by Rinima »

I've fallen in love with Sho </3

AND NOOOOOO! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PUT THE END OF THE DEMO THERE ;~;

I really really wanted to go to the festival with Sho ;~;
Last edited by Rinima on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Chasing Summer
Regular
Projects: unannounced project

#115 Post by Chasing Summer »

I did not expect myself to fall in love with Sho — but the guy’s adorable!

Overall, I have not finished the demo yet. As far as I’ve played the game it looks great though. There are a few sentences that perhaps could be worded differently and I’m not a big fan of the font, but I’m sure the complete version will polish all of that.
new account: sonnenblumen

SweetChiel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Nusantara: Legend of the Winged Ones
Deviantart: SweetChiel

#116 Post by SweetChiel »

NOOOOOOooooo---!!
why did you have to stop there?! Q____Q
really, you're such a tease!

So far I'm interested with Sho, Faeran, and Raziel :D But I've just finished the demo with Sho and I loved it! xD
what surprised me the most is that Sho have a 10 year old son, wow, just how old is he? o_o
the characters are very good. You managed to keep all their personality in check xD it's smooth and flows nicely. What made me groan is the long history tho, maybe it's because I'm not a history person :S
but I get the gist of how the magicians are considered monsters and un-respected despite helping the war. Maybe you could shorten the Sansa history a bit about how they ended up hating the Dolphins (I can't seem to spell it right, so... yup, I'm gonna use Dolphins).
I think it's enough having Sho said the Sansa Tribe were threatened, killed in cold blood, chased away from their home, etc and I'm really curious as to why he's helping the killers now (is it a debt?)
there are some bugs:
- at Sho's event where Sho ask why Aleo is interested in him, the choices are 'you're my commanding officer', 'You're cute, sho.'
the sprite is not changing expressions and the sprite is stuck until I go back training.
- the girl version of Ali'Sakir's CG is wrong (I use a girl character, yet the CG showed me a boy character) or is it not done yet ?
- at General Tiberus's event when soldiers are mocking Aleo. after we pick the choices, the sprite got stuck until the next week.

Oh the Soundtrack you're using at the start menu is already used at 'Wadanohara and The Great Blue Sea' RPG game :)

some questions:
- Are you planning to make everybody's tent room Background? :D I was a little bored with the same BG again and again for 4 months
- I'll be blunt, are there really yaoi endings? o_o

I can't wait for this to be finished!! xD honestly, the sprites and CGs are all well mad and the story looks good too c:
Good luck and take your time! :D

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#117 Post by Rinima »

SweetChiel wrote: I'll be blunt, are there really yaoi endings? o_o
And yuri I believe (I think).

Anyway, what's wrong with yaoi? -_-
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#118 Post by try10 »

I played the demo and I loved it! Even if the sprites and the backgrounds were not finished I had fun. The dialogue is very well written and the characters are interesting and charming. The ones I liked the most were General Tiberus ( even if he is cold and way too serious), Ali'Sakir ( do I even have to say why? :oops: :twisted: Sho ( :lol: his smirk is irresistible) and Reziel ( how can her guardian be so twisted!?). I really want to know more about everyone and Aleo. I think Raziel is hiding something 8) . Everything looks great and I'm waiting for the full release! :D Good luck! :)

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#119 Post by 15385bic »

GAH! demo! hits that ddl button! ٩꒰๑ ´∇`๑꒱۶

will tell u how it goes after i play ~
with the stats screen wayyy above - i like them all ^^' - but if i had to decide on one...the 2x4~ i mean if nothing else is happening on screen - u may as well take up space 「(゚ペ)

Lyyli
Regular

#120 Post by Lyyli »

I've been playing around with different characters and man, I love this game! All characters are so charming in their own ways! >w< Ali'sakir is hilarious!
Lots of giggles has been had! I really love the art, you are so talented! I can't wait for more :)

I noticed a bug with one of Sitri's events where you find her resting at the base of a tree, it will repeat itself over and over again and you can't get out from the loop. (After a while pressing ctrl it seem like I could break away, but suddenly after doing a few training lessons the scene came back and repeats itself again and keeps doing it D:)
Meep.