Magicians of Delphine[GxB][BxB][Dating Sim]ALPHA(July 8)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: Magicians of Delphine[GxB][BxB][Otome][Fantasy][Dating S

#46 Post by akemicchi »

Fenrir34 wrote:It's just I see the female character as more of the main character who could also romance the girls.
Oh, I see what you mean now! The default main character is the female one, yes, and she can romance the other girls. :'D I can see how that can be off then, given how few there are and the fact that it's an otome game.
Fenrir34 wrote:I can also understand was Hazel-Bun is saying. If you wanted you wouldn't have to add the females but I think you should keep the male. I played a game called Sacred Sand (almost all yaoi) and I loved it. I kind of prefer GXB AND BXB. But if you take away the girls but keep the main guy characters, that would mean you'd have to make his story a little different. That would be really cool :D
Haha, okay, I see. For an otome game, having female romanceable characters probably seems superfluous. I just think it's weird having an all male main cast. ;;; If the girls are not going to be romanceable, maybe I could just give them friendship or rival routes? Haha, though truthfully I think I'll just have the option to have them romanceable. >u> People will always have the option not to pursue a character they don't want to pursue.

It's otome, so GxB and BxB should be the purveying romances. Haha.
Snowjoker wrote:Hmmm....if you don't mind, I would suggest perhaps (if you are unsure of a decision) taking a vote on whether to include the BxG with the two females (just an idea).
I think I'll do that! I never considered having BxG routes might be taken as a little weird in an otome game (though thinking about it, it is kind of weird, haha). I think a good time to take a vote is when the demo comes out for people to try, just so they have an idea of their routes. If the girls still don't seem like they belong as either valid characters or valid romanceable characters, I'll either remove their romanceable paths or edit them appropriately for the final version. :)

Thank you very much again, you two! I really appreciate it!

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#47 Post by Reikun »

Hi akemicchi, I've been the skimming the discussion here about the decision to have the MC either male or female and all I'm going to say is you outta stick to your guns haha. I love the direction you're taking this (and you've already been working on it for over a year you say?!) and I trust that you are making something you believe in. I would rather have creators making things they believe in than compromising their vision to keep some players in their comfort zones. Umm... yeah! I believe that you know what's best for your game and your story especially considering the amount of work you've already poured into it. And I like BxB too *whistles*

Right. So your questions now!
1. I know there's probably not much to go on, but does the premise at least sound somewhat interesting? :S Would it be a game you'd be interested in playing? Can I ask what about it is interesting or not interesting to you? (Gameplay plan, plot, characters, art, etc)
I like the premise of magicians being rare in your setting. The thing that I'm going to be looking out for is the different in tone between the first and second part. I just hope the lightheartedness for the first half balances out well with the fact that war is in fact happening.

2. In your opinion, would you be interested in a battle system? Or should I work on it first and release a demo with it before asking...?
I like extra gameplay elements in VNs (like battle systems), but sometimes the story is so good I wish I could just skip them (esp. since I usually suck at them :D) I think if you're willing to put one in, and it will enhance the experience of the game and the story, it would be good. (but maybe also include an option to skip them? ;__; )

3. What are you expecting from the game, based on what you've read?
A fun(?) fantasy war story?? The screenshots give me the impression that this will not be a gritty/morbid war type of thing... But then again I look at Long Live the Queen and I would be a fool to keep these expectations, wouldn't I? :3

4. Do you think separating the game into two distinct parts is a good idea (a predominantly dating-sim game play for the first half followed by a pure VN)?

I think if the transition is smooth it will be good. Sometimes stat raising can detract from a story if it isn't integrated in a meaningful way. I personally like pure VNs over sim/stat raising games because it's easier to go back and redo things without having to redo stats again @__@; I think you have a general idea of how these things are going to be integrated already. I'm just making guesses.

5. Any questions about the game? Feedback? Critique? Type away!

Your art is drop-dead gorgeous ;D And design-wise Ali'sakir, Rima, and Sitri are my faves~~
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets

#48 Post by akemicchi »

Reikun wrote:Hi akemicchi, I've been the skimming the discussion here about the decision to have the MC either male or female and all I'm going to say is you outta stick to your guns haha. ...
Haha, I know I should! x_x But I believe wholeheartedly that everyone has valid points or concerns, so I want to at least be open minded to everything, even if I have to consider compromising some things. If I do change anything, though, it's because I believe it'd be better for my game, not just because the majority says so. :D But I will take it into account if a lot of people tell me something. I'm probably doing something wrong with my writing if a lot of people tell me my girl characters don't belong in the story for example, haha.
Also, high five! 8D

1&3) Yeah, the first half of the game's pretty lighthearted despite there being a war going on. /sob I'll just pay attention to how I'm handling the tone throughout the first part so the change in the second part doesn't surprise people too much.

4) I see, I see. I'll see what I can do about not making it tedious or too intensive on the stats. I don't want people to worry too much about getting an ending. Hopefully the length will help on that? One year of gameplay doesn't take too long I think. About ~100 interactions total (52 weeks + Sundays) for the whole year.

Thank you so much for your input, Reikun! :D

Sora-Kuroi
Regular

#49 Post by Sora-Kuroi »

This otome game looks really great and the art is amazing!!
my favorite characters so far are General Tiberus Serge and Ali'sakir >w<!
I'll keep an eye on this project *w*

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#50 Post by Reikun »

akemicchi wrote:I'm probably doing something wrong with my writing if a lot of people tell me my girl characters don't belong in the story for example, haha.
I'm glad you're keeping open-minded with the feedback you're getting, but don't jump the gun! A demo of sorts that shows the girls in action might alter people's opinions about their importance to the game/story after all. For all I know they really could be unnecessary for this particular story (hopefully because of the role they play, and not just because they are girl characters), but I'm not going to try to tell you one way or another until I've read some of it in a somewhat final form. But... who am I kidding. I'm biased towards the girls because their character descriptions are awesome >___> ahahaha /brick'd

That aside, I'll continue to look forward to this *U* Do you have a demo release planned, or are you just going to go for one big release?
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

akemicchi
Veteran

#51 Post by akemicchi »

@ Sora-Kuroi
Thank you very much for your kind words and interest. :'''D I'm surprised so many people like Ali'sakir; I could have sworn he wouldn't be all that likable/interesting.

@ Reikun
I just want to fix everything if I can help it. *sob* But I feel relieved that you like them so far. ;_;

I really appreciate it. ;_; There'll be a demo in about two or three months while I get Part I finalized. I really wanted to go for one big release, but then I'd have to sacrifice getting feedback, and that's not really worth it. :s Any opportunity to make my game better is important.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#52 Post by Rinima »

I'm really looking forward to playing this :D
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#53 Post by Laiska »

1) I know there's probably not much to go on, but does the premise at least sound somewhat interesting? :S Would it be a game you'd be interested in playing? Can I ask what about it is interesting or not interesting to you? (Gameplay plan, plot, characters, art, etc)
This sounds interesting to me, possibly because I'm a total sucker for shiny magic things. The character art is super lovely, and while the stat-raising doesn't sound terribly thrilling to me (I don't enjoy playing with spreadsheets much), the story sounds like it could be interesting.

2) In your opinion, would you be interested in a battle system? Or should I work on it first and release a demo with it before asking...?
I am not entirely sure how you would plan to implement the battle system, unless perhaps it was a regularly occurring element that contributed to the stat raising, perhaps as part of training (which would also make the stat building more interesting). But, you should definitely release a small battle demo and see how it looks like it would fit into the story, once you have it working.

3) What are you expecting from the game, based on what you've read?
Can't say I have any particular expectations, outside of what's been outlined in your summary!

4) Do you think separating the game into two distinct parts is a good idea (a predominantly dating-sim game play for the first half followed by a pure VN)?
I don't know about it being a 'good' or 'bad' idea; it all depends on the implementation. I think integrating frequent events into the first half would definitely give it a more consistent pace, and allow it to be integrated more easily with the second half. Some of the non-romance stat elements should pop up in the second half too, so that they don't feel wasted.

5) Any questions about the game? Feedback? Critique? Type away!
So I've been skimming the other responses, and on the question of the female characters, I have to say that personally, I would immensely appreciate it if you left the GxG paths intact. There are so few genuinely interesting games that include GL/shoujo-ai romances, so you would be filling an important gap. If those routes aren't to a player's preference, they don't have to pursue them, but it really means a lot to see that you thought to include those options at all.

Mimi_Melody
Veteran

#54 Post by Mimi_Melody »

I know there's probably not much to go on, but does the premise at least sound somewhat interesting? :S
Of course! (a lot)
Would it be a game you'd be interested in playing? Can I ask what about it is interesting or not interesting to you?
I'd say that fantasy plot and the wonderful art of yours <3 Reziel baby~ I'm waitin' to crush ya in my hands in the game :lol: Just love guys like him~

In your opinion, would you be interested in a battle system? Or should I work on it first and release a demo with it before asking...?
It'd help people get more of the "magical, fantasy" world, I think? Putting in some simple battles is nice, too much would turn it into an RPG and distract the story, at least to me :3

What are you expecting from the game, based on what you've read?
Good character development, especially the in-game world. The MCs seem like-able, interesting so no complaints about that! :mrgreen:

Do you think separating the game into two distinct parts is a good idea (a predominantly dating-sim game play for the first half followed by a pure VN)?
I have no comment about this. After the dating-sim part - which takes patience and effort, people can enjoy the flow of a pure VN is probably a good thing, the second part can be like a goal/reward for the dating-sim in part 1 LOL (?)

Any questions about the game? Feedback? Critique? Type away!
Yes, I'd love a GxG route as well. It's so hard to find GxG routes these days and your game seems promising too xD Anyway, good luck with the game! I'm really excited for this~ The art is lovely~ I only realize it now that you've changed the characters into chibis (with a heart next to them) \^^/ Cute! :D

Maegalkarven
Regular

#55 Post by Maegalkarven »

Wow! It looks amasing!I'm really into characters and art! Game plan also seems to be interesting. So i looking forward to play this vn.^^ I'm a little bit lazy, so i can't make myself to write full answers, i's just expecting...something wonderfull! And i like the fact that our hero could be male or female, depending of our choice.
And well...about battle system. Don't know, how it will looks, probably demo will show me C: But i want to see it anyway ))
Good luck in working on this game!)

akemicchi
Veteran

#56 Post by akemicchi »

@ Rinima
Thank you so much! ;_; I hope I don't disappoint when the time comes. orz

@ Laiska
1) Haha, spreadsheets. Well, it's true that you're kind of dealing with those, given all the numbers to pay attention to...
4) That's a good idea; more frequent events for a smoother transition into a VN-style gameplay. I'll be sure to keep those in mind! ovob
5) I see! I guess there are people that also appreciate GxG in an otome game. I'll keep it in mind! :D
Thank you for your input! :D I really appreciate it!

@ Mimi_Melody
Thank you for the comment! \o/
1) LOL I'm super glad he's likable even though he's so unlikable. :''''D I figured with the description I gave him no one would like him, haha.
4) That's exactly how I was hoping people would take it! :'D I'll just have to make sure the transition between the two game styles is smoother. Maybe having more events towards the end?
5) Thanks! I'm glad there are people that support the GxG content. I'll keep it in mind!

@ Maegalkarven
I'm glad you like it so far! I appreciate that you've taken the time to post regardless! *v* I'll ask about the battle system again after I release a demo of it. That seems like a better time to ask, haha. Thank you for your comment and support!

~*~

UPDATE
I haven't really been working on the writing aspect of it right now so the word count hasn't really changed, but I have been working on the graphical aspect of the game. Hopefully by the end of the week, I'll have appropriate buttons and windows. :D
Ignore the look of the stat box; I'm still changing that from UIs into screens, haha
Ignore the look of the stat box; I'm still changing that from UIs into screens, haha
I've decided to change the system from raising characteristic stats (Charm/Intelligence/etc) to battle stats (Attack/Defense/Special) in order to secure an ending with a character. Each magic raises one of them with the exception of Summoning which raises all of them by a small amount. Your aim is to get all green Os by the end of the year as well as raise a character's affection to a certain point (which you get by interacting with them). Hopefully this will facilitate interaction with other characters.

I'm hoping to put a small heart in the corner indicating a character's affection level with you. I'm still undecided between making it a vertical bar that fills up the more affection you get, changes color depending on how close you are (like Harvest Moon) or if I should make it change color and size change like Tokimeki Memorial.
indicator.png
The bar is good but simple to look at. You'd probably never see it filled until towards the end of the game, and it might be annoying to see everyone else's heart indictator as empty. Color change, however, makes it so the heart is already full so you get a sense of accomplishment looking at it (lol, idk, I do). It's also easy to see. As for Resize, it's only good if it is big.

Oh! Maybe I could have a huge visual indicator behind the character pictures (Maybe 50% of the box behind Sho)? I don't know. "orz

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :'D

angeliza
Regular
Completed: 0
Projects: 0
Organization: Currently free lancing in order to gain experience

#57 Post by angeliza »

Wow! This looks so cool! I do have a question, though...
Since the dating sim comes before th vn part, will the character you persued and your relationship with them effect the novel part in anyway? Because if so, this game just surpassed SO many levels of awesome...

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#58 Post by Laiska »

I think the idea of raising battle stats makes much more sense, especially if you want to potentially incorporate battles into the game. Nice work!

Also on the matter of the heart, I think maybe a colour change would work best? Start off with a grey heart, maybe and then shift through colours (light pink, deeper pink, red, purple, AMAZING RAINBOW WOW something xD), or perhaps even have no heart at all if you have not put any effort at all into gaining a particular characters affections, then start at the first level (light pink), once you first befriend them.

akemicchi
Veteran

#59 Post by akemicchi »

@angeliza
Each character has their own take on the war so it branches into a unique story as soon as you reach the VN part (Part II). Having 100 relationship points with a character or 1,000 doesn't have anything to do the route as soon as you meet the minimum requirements, though. (Too much work lol 9w9;; )

There are multiple endings, though. The multiple endings come from your choices in Part II; the stats you've raised have nothing to do with what ending you get, meaning you can save at the start of Part II and just replay it from there. Your stats do play a part in what events you see in the dating simulation part (Part I) and a little bit on what goes on in Part II, so there's still some merits to getting high stats or replaying Part I. I just don't want people to replay the dating sim to get the perfect stats unless they want to. :D

@Laiska
Oh! That's a great idea; having no heart at all until you try befriending them! I didn't realize that was a possibility at all, haha. I was hoping for a rainbow color system (purple then blue then green then orange... etc) but just having light pink to pink to red to RAINBOW SPARKLE AWESOMENESS is a great idea, too! Thanks so much! :D

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#60 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Woops! I never answered the questions haha!

1). I know there's probably not much to go on, but does the premise at least sound somewhat interesting? :S Would it be a game you'd be interested in playing? Can I ask what about it is interesting or not interesting to you? (Gameplay plan, plot, characters, art, etc)

So far, I'd be interested in playing this game. On a purely superficial level, I like your art so that's a plus when I'm suppose to be dating the characters presented to me. Otherwise, the plot and setting attract me for various reasons, mainly because I like fantasy and I like adventure type themes. So all that rolled into one sounds like fun!

2). In your opinion, would you be interested in a battle system? Or should I work on it first and release a demo with it before asking...?

I'd say a demo would be your best bet. You've put a lot of effort into it already so if you like it, than keep it, get critique rather than vague suggestions prior to it being played is more wise I think ^^

3). What are you expecting from the game, based on what you've read?

A fairly easy story to follow with a heavy emphasizes on stats at the beginning and then pure VN from there. I think some laughs and a few tears along the way haha

4). Do you think separating the game into two distinct parts is a good idea (a predominantly dating-sim game play for the first half followed by a pure VN)?

Ah, I can't really say. I've never played (to the best of my knowledge) a game formatted that way, atleast otome wise. It's a wait and see for me, similar to question two!

5). Any questions about the game? Feedback? Critique? Type away!

None so far. Everything looks good from where I can see. I'll wait for a demo to see the writing in action and test out the battle system. I hope BxG still remains but that's up to you, whatever floats your boat (ovo)/~*~*~*~

6). Stats and Junk!

Oh! I think the switching of the stats to focus on those three is a good thing! I think it's cool because I have a limited attention span so having a narrow scope of choices to focus on is always a plus lol Like suggested, no heart if you don't have a relationship would work fine I think. The first example, of the filling heart, would be nice to show growth in it. Or you could do something like a lot of tiny hearts and once you get to X amount, you're BF/GF/Besties/Arch Enemies/ So on and so forth.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.