Magicians of Delphine[GxB][BxB][Dating Sim]ALPHA(July 8)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Magicians of Delphine[GxB][BxB][Dating Sim]ALPHA(July 8)

#1 Post by akemicchi »

Magicians, though born human like any other, are likened to the dragons of the world: monstrously powerful in their gift, though extraordinarily few exist. It is only recently that a significant growth in persons of magical ability has been observed, though a majority of the world still disputes their existence.

It is during this time that war erupts between the Kingdom of Delphine and the Principality of Leveaux.

While other countries chose to arm themselves with legions of steel-plated warriors or ingenious weaponry, the King of Delphine-- an avid believer of magicians-- decides to arm the land with magicians, promising not only fortunes and small miracles to participants of the war but also persecution towards deserters of the kingdom's call to arms. It is under these circumstances that Aleo, a magician shielded from society, takes her first steps into the world.

• It's free! \^q^/
  • Male or female protagonist
  • 7 male interests and 2 female interests
  • Stat management
  • 100+ CGs
  • 150+ Events
  • Unique Battle System
  • Multiple endings
Genre: Fantasy, War, Romance, Comedy, Friendship
Rating: 16+ for blood and violence
The game follows Aleo (male or female) who has been drafted into the Royal Army of Delphine. There she meets several other magicians whom she has to work with in order to grow strong enough to fight the final battle against Leveaux and end the war.

The game is divided into two parts: Part I (dating sim) and Part II (VN). Both parts are in the same game.

The first part is the dating simulation aspect of the game, focusing on leveling relationships with characters and stat-building. It lasts one year, with one interaction for the week and one more for Sundays. There's a battle system planned, though it is entirely optional. Part I is generally lighthearted and easygoing in terms of story as Aleo develops relationships with the other soldiers and learns more about the circumstances of the war.

The second part branches into a pure VN where Aleo attempts to learn the stories behind the character she is pursuing as well as resolving the war between the two countries. The game takes a more serious tone as the war takes precedence over relationships.

"( I'm probably talking too much, but I don't really get it. )"
Aleo(lith) // All Magic Magician // Male or Female
Cheerful, Frank, Troublemaker, Free-Spirited
Main character; can be male or female depending on player's preference. A prodigy magician capable of all types of magic, Aleo is a blunt, energetic youth raised in the remote wilderness of Delphine's mountains. As a hermit with only her unfriendly mentor and a pet for company, Aleo is naive and somewhat detached to situations which would normally affect people, such as war, violence, and death. Her frankness and curiosity usually lands her into hot water with other people. Has a bad habit of saying whatever's on her mind.

"Mind yourself, Aleo. I am your general."
General Tiberus Serge // No Magic // Male
Determined, Reliable, Strict, Prudish
Born the fourth in line of famous strategists, Tiberus is the young general of the Royal Army suddenly elevated to his position after the death of his father, the previous general. He is a serious but proper man driven not only to protect the weak, but to help others become strong. Despite his cool and standoffish demeanor, his unrelenting drive to fight for the good of his country and her citizens makes him an inspiration to his soldiers. He never seems to unwind from his uptight nature unless...
"It's fine. It's no trouble at all."
Rima Noelle // Water Magician // Female
Gentle, Firm, Regal, Headstrong
Sharing the same name as the Princess of Delphine, Rima, daughter of a famous swordsman, is a woman of quiet strength not unlike her childhood friend Tiberus. Rima is obsessed with helping others, even if they will take advantage of her. She is known in camp for her proper and immaculate image as well as her kindness, but sometimes Aleo gets a glimpse of a more inconsiderate side to her...

"What nonsense. There's no point in explaining why I do what I do."
Sho // Fire Magician // Male
Stern, Righteous, Unforgiving, Fierce
The austere fire magician hailing from the barbarian clan, Sansa. Raised to value pride and strength, Sho possesses unwavering resolve towards his decisions and a steely intolerance for disrespect. He has a forbidding attitude towards members of the Army, but that may be due in part to the decades of animosity boiling between the two societies. Sho is a man driven wholly by his feelings, and despite his image of rigid strength, he possesses a soft spot for the pacifistic ideals of the world.

"Hey, aren't I your favorite now, knowing you're my number one?"
Yue // Wind Magician // Male
Playful, Thoughtful, Flighty, Moody
Yue is a bright and cheerful man that likes to play small pranks and cause a bit of trouble in the Army, particularly for his older brother Faeran. Despite his facade of a mature and graceful adult, Yue possesses the spirit of a child, reacting to people and things with a childlike frankness and possessiveness. Yue has a talent for most things he tries his hands on, and though very skilled, is not very well liked in the Army. He's a bit of a diva sometimes, but he has a good heart.
"Don't worry so much about it, yeah?"
Sitri // Earth Magician // Female
Relaxed, Free-spirited, Chill, Confident
A mellow dancer hailing from Narra Djiman, sister country to Narra Gruva, an empire allied with Leveaux. A social and fun-loving woman, Sitri spends much of her time dancing to music in the clearing. Her lax, 'nothing-bothers-me' nature begets an indomitable security in her identity and her life, yet her lack of emotional investment in the things around her is problematic to the people around her.
"Never woulda thought of it myself! Not in a million years!"
Faeran // Holy Magician // Male
Good-natured, Friendly, Hardworking, Hot-blooded
The older brother of Yue, Faeran is the soldiers' protector and friend. Despite previously being a lancer, he takes his newly assigned medical work very seriously and expects others to be the same with their responsibilities. Reliable, friendly, and kind of loud, Faeran is a man you can trust to help you out. Complicated things usually go flying over his head, though he does have a tendency to obsess over things he doesn't understand. Extremely popular with his medic comrades.
"But if you want me to taint you, how can I resist?..."
Ali'sakir // Dark Magician // Male
Mischievous, Vindictive, Easygoing, Flirty
An exotic mystic hailing from the desert country, Narra Gruva, a nation allied with Delphine's enemy, Leveaux. Though very flirty by nature, Ali'sakir is a young man that keeps himself and his past deeply shrouded in mystery. Not much about him is trustworthy, given his wanton abuse of his voodoo magic and the honeyed words that flow like a stream from his lips. Only one thing is sure about this man, and it's that his loyalties lie only to himself.
"I am not above treating fools the way they ought to be treated. Do not confuse me for a human being."
Reziel // Summoner (Magician) // Male
Imperious, Self-Entitled, Noisy, Conceited
Aleo's mentor and guardian. Reziel possesses an unparalleled ability to manipulate, absorb, and analyze a great deal of information. Unfortunately, his vast intelligence is tempered by a horrible personality. He's generally hated, as he is mean-spirited, prideful, and uncooperative around people. Despite all his bad points, Reziel is very loyal towards people he trusts, and, despite his massive intellect, he's also very weak to baseless flattery.

GOSH THESE ARE SO OLD but here's what you should expect in the Alpha version I have out right now. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
As of December 28, 2014:
Statistics:

The game contains 17,910 dialogue blocks, containing 243,881 words and
1,310,308 characters, for an average of 13.6 words and 73 characters per
block.

The game contains 137 menus, 252 images, and 26 screens.

Part I: 210k / ~230k (priority)
Part II: 30k / ??
Dating Sim Engine: 90%
GUI: 30%
Music: 40%
Art: 30%
Battle System: 10%
This is the Alpha version so it's really rough. ^q^
MagiciansofDelphine-1.0-all.zip
(81.56 MiB) Downloaded 3955 times
MediaFire | Google Drive

1. How was the pacing of the gameplay and writing? Was it too fast? Too slow? Did you feel it was a hindrance in some way, either in speed, or amount of clicks, or...?
  2. How were the characters? Were they interesting? Likeable? Annoying? Tell me how you feel about them.
  3. Who's your favorite character? ;)
  4. What are you expecting-- plot-wise, character-wise, gameplay-wise-- based on the alpha?
  5. Any questions about the game? Feedback? Critique? Type away!
Last edited by akemicchi on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 13 times in total.

mamemime

Re: Magicians of Delphine[GxB][BxB][Otome][Fantasy][Dating S

#2 Post by mamemime »

HO SHII--- You posted it!!!!

1. Yes, it's very interesting~
2. YES. ( o///o)/ It's very fitting to the story I don't see why you shouldn't put it in. PLEASE RELEASE A DEMO.
3. Battles. PLENTY OF BATTLES. ALSO DRAGONS.
4. Yes.
5. YEAH, I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO FINISH~

Firefly
Regular
Projects: Remember these days, My sunflowers keeper
Organization: Firefly Games
Deviantart: Caystar

#3 Post by Firefly »

1. It sounds very interesting in my opinion. The battle system sounds like it would be fun and the mix with romance is definetly nice. The magician aspect and the arming of kingdoms sounds like a very unique plotline. ( Especially the idea of either going to war or being persecuted by the king of Delphine)
2.The battle system sounds interesting in general so for sure.
3. Expectations...don''t really have any.
4. Seperating them does sound like a good idea
5. Personally, it sounds like an interesting story, the art is very pretty/cool, and besides 50+ cgs and 120+events, it seems like you're really dedicated to this project, I will definetly be waiting for this game. Good luck!! :D
~Fireflys are the stars of the Earth~

http://caystar.deviantart.com/

ngareci
Regular
Completed: Grinning Heart: the meeting & the voyage, Nacira

#4 Post by ngareci »

Oh my God!
It really a promising piece!

1. Yes indeed! It really pick my interest!
2. I don't mind with battle system. Just like a rpg game you mean? :D
and a demo with battle system would help the future development I think..
3. Magic!~ or battle with magic with few combination for certain skill perhaps?
And wishing for strong character development~
4. It was something new for me. But it will be worth it. Looks fun~
5. Are you doing the writing, art, music and programming all by yourself? I didn't see any credit there... :D

Good luck on this project!~
Completed Project
Image Image Image
===========================
Deviantart

Paradoxus

#5 Post by Paradoxus »

1)I like the overall premise with the knights and magicians and stuff, but maybe it's because I really like knights and magic in general, haha. I really like the art as well, and the designs of the characters so far.

2)A battle system in this game is a nice idea, but I feel it's not nessessary. But if you really want to push yourself and you are not pressed for time, then I would say go for it.

3)A deep, developed, and unique story with not only all the character routes, but with the war and the different kingdoms.

4)Splitting the game into different parts is not a bad idea at all. I've played some VN's like that with like a common story route with choices, then branching off into seperate character routes, and I very much enjoyed them. The only issue I have with all of those VN's were how you would have to sit through and complete the common story route over and over again to reach the other character's routes when replaying the thing. However, this was a minor issue in those games because they managed to make each choice in the common story route lead to different scenes and dialouge, which made me want to replay it and check out all the different choices and routes. However, I think you won't really have this issue since the first part will be more of a dating sim type of thing.

5)Are you doing this project all by yourself? If so, that's pretty rad.

All the concepts and ideas look great so far, and I look forward to seeing the complete project :D. Good luck on it~!

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

#6 Post by Kyra10 »

1. Yes, it sounds really interesting. I'm very interested in playing this. I like the plot, the characters, and the art~
2. Hmm, I wouldn't mind a battle system.
3. Battles with magic involved and plenty of different character interactions.
4. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea to me. ^_^
5. This looks like it'll be a very fun game to play! I'm really looking forward to it!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#7 Post by Ran08 »

1. Yes, very. The premise is lovely, and I know it'll be a pleasure to read a visual novel like this. Plus, the characters themselves are quite interesting to me, so they represent the whole VN in my eyes. They're the main reason why I like the idea. Haha. For me, characters are the most important part of the story, because if I don't care about them, why should I bother reading? That's my personal opinion though. Haha.
2. Yeah, I would love that. We would love that. Haha. Even if it's as simply as the one in Memoirs, it will still be highly appreciated. Hahaha.
3. I expect a deep, fantasy romance story filled with wonderful characters and an amazing plot. Hahaha.
4. Personally? Nope. I'd rather continue the game... as it is... rather than have a part two which is all VN. What about all the points I collected in the first part? All those lovely people? It would be sad if they won't have any impact at all on the story itself. :( But again, just a personal preference. Haha.

5. I think this will be AWESOME. Hahaha. Can't wait. :)

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets

#8 Post by akemicchi »

@mamemime
SUP YOU Thanks for the comment! \o/
2) Well... okay. /sob It will be hard but I'll try to have a battle system then.
3) NEEDS MORE 300% MORE KING TOO

@Firefly
Thank you so much for your comments! >v</
1 & 2) Great! In that case, I think I'll definitely try to program a battle system before I decide I don't want to implement it. It's only fair to give it a go...
5) I've been working on it myself for a year and I figure I finally have enough to post up a WIP. Hopefully I'll get it finished! :D

@ngareci
I'm glad it interests you! Thanks for the comment and encouragement!
2) It's a little different from an RPG. I want it run a little more on chance (magic skills activating randomly rather than being chosen), depending on the stat points. Instead of the individual soldier, it's a magician unit pit against a small troop, where HP is the number of soldiers and minor stuff like that.
3) I'll keep the magic combinations in mind! That's going to depend on whether or not I actually implement a battle system, though lol. But hopefully the character development will be strong enough to compensate for whether or not I do add that.
5) Yes, I am doing this project myself! :) It's really difficult, but I want to know how much I can accomplish. "orz

@Paradoxus
Thanks!
1) Ilovethemtoohohoho
2) I'm not really pressed for time since I'm doing this myself (yay, leisurely pace!) so I'll just hunker down and try to figure it out for a few weeks someday.
3) Eek. Guess I'll be delving deeper into the relationships between the countries, too. Thanks! I'm having trouble finding opportunities to talk about them, but I really should be concentrating on working harder to make this information available to the player. An immersive, interesting world is just as important as the characters.
4) I don't think I'll be having that issue either. Just a few common routes for the plot, but there's almost always an opportunity to experience a different version of that event by choosing to pursue another person. I'm also thinking of adding a skip button to completely skip seen events, though the Ren'Py skip button also does it's job well on its own so...
5) Yes, I am doing this project myself. \o/ It's difficult, but at least I have the freedom to work on whatever I want whenever I want. Haha.

@Kyra10
Thank you very much! ;_;
2) Is that a 'Hmm, I wouldn't mind' because you really don't mind or a hesitant 'Hmm, I wouldn't mind' if you had no choice ? Haha.
3) By character interactions, do you mean menus? Because I have lots of events, not necessarily menus. Do you think more insignificant menus (no important variations to the event) be better? Especially since it's a dating sim...

@ Ran08
Thank you so much for your comment!
1) I think the same way, too! For me, if I don't like the main character in particular, the game doesn't turn out too enjoyable. Hopefully when I release my demo, my characters will be enticing to the players. So far though, I've been having fun writing about them.
2) Memoirs? Which one is that? Do you have a link so I can play it and see? :)
3) T-That's a high bar, but I'll strive for it!!
4) Oh, stats still have some effect in the second part. Certain events occur by having a high enough stat. For example, for most routes, maxing someone's magic shows a different version of a common event than not maxing it, or knowing enough Holy magic in someone else's route lets an extra event play. Granted, they all connect again to a common route because it would be too much work to branch the story for every stat, but the points aren't completely useless. Hopefully. "orz

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

#9 Post by Kyra10 »

I said that because I really don't mind a battle system. If it was in the game, I'd have fun trying it. If it wasn't in the game, I'd still enjoy the game without the battle system. ^_^
By character interactions, I was referring to the 120+ events, the seven male interests, and the two female interests. Haha, the main character has a lot of different people to be able to go after~ It's nice that the main character can be male or female depending on the player's preference. I'm sure many people will be interested in playing this since it seems like it's going to be really interesting and fun to play. You could add more insignificant menus if you'd like to, but I don't think it's necessary. That's just my personal opinion. I hope I was able to answer your questions for you!
Good luck and give it your best! I'll be looking forward to playing this! (^_^)/

flaminghippo
Regular
Projects: At Bay
IRC Nick: flaminghippo

#10 Post by flaminghippo »

This looks flipping awesome. I'm super excited for this :D

1. The premise sounds very well thought-out. So far, you've only really given us a brief overview of the setting and nothing very revealing about the plot, but is it interesting? Absolutely. I'm especially intrigued by your artwork—it's beautiful! I wish I could draw like that. Each of the characters has his/her own charm, too. I can't wait to learn more about them.

2. I'm not so sure how much a battle system is necessary, but so long as it's well integrated into the plot, I think it'd be cool. I love me some classic RPGs, after all.

3. I'm expecting a super complex plot that capitalizes on the personalities of its characters and depends on its unique setting. I think it's going to be pretty epic.

4. I think that separating the game into 2 parts is interesting. Like the battle system, it really depends on how you pull it off, of course.

5. You're working on this by yourself?! Damn impressive. I'm so looking forward to this.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#11 Post by Ran08 »

akemicchi wrote:@ Ran08
Thank you so much for your comment!
1.) Well that's good. Haha. I too, have fun writing because I get attached to the characters. That's why sometimes it's hard to end a story, because the characters have meant so much to me that it would be like losing a friend. Hahaha. :) And as for your characters, I bet they will be amazing! :)

Oh, and yep. You're right. Sometimes, if I don't like a character and she gets the cutest boy or something, I don't feel that happy. Like in Gakuen Alice, for example. I love Mikan, but when it was made known that Ruka liked her as well, I started disliking Mikan, because in my mind, I thought it should be Hotaru that Ruka liked, not her. Hahaha.

2.) Memoirs of an Angel. Oh, it's a beautiful VN. Haha, I just love it. :) There are minigames and stuff too. Check it out.

3.) Well... I expect it because I know this visual novel will turn out great, just like what I expected. Hahaha. <3

4.) Ooooof. Sorry, I forgot about persistent data. Haha. Is that what you're gonna use, I wonder? :)
But yeah, I don't really mind multiple parts, as long as everything else that happened gets carried over to the next part. :)

I wish you the best of luck on this! :D

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#12 Post by Googaboga »

Wow this is really impressive especially for a solo made VN :O. You are a very talented individual C:.

1. Yeah I'd play this. I think the premise is great and I love stat raising games. The art is of course beautiful as well which never hurts X3.
2. Not really. I like battle systems a lot but not along with dating sim style stat raising. Either all the way date sim stat raising or all the way battle system. That's just me though.
3. I expect it to be fun and have some interesting stories.
4. Yeah I think that sounds like a good plan.
5. Will this be a commercial release or free to play? I definitely think it sounds like a commercial quality game :3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

akemicchi
Veteran

#13 Post by akemicchi »

@Kyra10
I guess it just depends on whether or not I make the battle system good. Haha. Most of the time, especially in VNs, I find their inclusion unnecessary and detracting to the experience, so I'd like to avoid giving people that experience. Still, I'd like to at least try implementing one so I won't regret not attempting it...

I see! Yeah, there are a lot of people so hopefully there's enough opportunities included for character interactions. I'll be taking my time so I'll be sure to do my best.

Thank you very much again!

@flaminghippo
I'm really glad to hear that! I hope I don't disappoint. "orz
1) I'm really glad to hear all that. ;v;
2) I was thinking that with war as the main theme, action is expected from the game. I have some scenes written for the action, but having a battle system would probably be a better, less intensive (for me in terms of writing), more immersive way of getting feedback for the stats you're raising. (High fire magic results in higher damage in a battle system as opposed me having to write extra choices for events.) I guess I should ask about the battle system after I've done it so people can decide whether it detracts from the experience or not.
3) /cry Such high expectations!! I'm terrified of disappointing you now, ahaha ;;;; I have to work harder.
4) I think so, too. I'll just ask again when the demo's released. ;v;
5) Thank you! ;v;

@Ran08
Thanks for the reply!
1) Gakuen Alice! I love the manga. :) Hopefully something like that doesn't happen in my game. Tell me honestly if you feel something weird like that happens in mine, okay!?
2) Downloading now! Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! *U*
4) There's no need to use persistent data since both parts will be in the same game. Er, did it sound like I was going to release two of them? Because it's just one game. :)

@Googabooga
Ahaha, thanks for saying, but I'm just bumbling along here. @w@ It's probably not going to be as nice as distributing the work with people that specialize in the area (like having the writing done by a writer or the programming with a programmer). "orz Thanks for the comments!
2) I see, I see! I'm the same way actually, haha. Maybe I could make it skippable after playing it through the first time? Or giving the player the option to go into battle or not.
5) Haha, thanks, but it's going to be free to play! \o/

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#14 Post by Googaboga »

Yeah I think making the battles skippable or optional in some way would be appreciated :3. Especially since I'm sure most people will want to play through more than one character story and the stat raising plus battles will make getting through the routes take more time than if there was just one or the other.

Wow that's great :O. This is really high quality for a free to play game ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Omniknight
Veteran

#15 Post by Omniknight »

Agreed. It's one of those games I actually approve of the artwork...