Quantum Conscience (Sci-Fi Drama, Romance)[GxB][BxG][BxB]...

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
storykween
Regular
Completed: Serafina's Saga, Quantum Conscience, Echoes of the Fey, miraclr - Divine Dating Sim
Organization: Woodsy Studio

Quantum Conscience (Sci-Fi Drama, Romance)[GxB][BxG][BxB]...

#1 Post by storykween »

*EDIT*: The game is now released! View the release thread here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=28037

Greetings everyone,
I just wanted to officially announce my work-in-progress "Quantum Conscience," which--if all goes well--will be released as a pay-what-you-want visual novel circa Summer 2014.

The game is finished and should be released August 2014! Here's a trailer:
The setting involves a galaxy in which a secret war rages between two intergalactic agencies. One of them--ARCHON--is developing the ability to link with and control people's minds, which they have done on multiple planets to achieve power. The other--FOE--wants to destroy ARCHON's technology in the name of freedom. The main story is about a young man/woman (player gets to choose gender) named Blaire who gets caught in the middle of the two groups and essentially becomes a double agent.

After my release of "Serafina's Saga," my first visual novel, I'm starting to take the medium a bit more seriously and adding some experimental game-play elements that I hope you'll enjoy. First and foremost, the player can choose whether the main character (Blaire) is male or female. Your choice does not affect your romantic relationships throughout the game, be they GxB, BxG, BxB or GxG. If I told you too much about the unusual game-play aspect, I'd be spoiling it! But I will say that it involves reading minds.... :shock:
I'll be doing the writing, music, and most of the art. But the awesome artist Michelle Hagewood will be illustrating the backgrounds. I can't wait to show off her artwork.

I already owe a big thank you to CheeryMoya and FunnyGuts for their help with programming, as well as a lot of people on the forums who have been kind enough to answer my questions. I'm in a bit over my head with the coding, which is why I'm finally getting serious about learning Python this year.

If any of you have thoughts/comments/suggestions I'd love to hear them. **I'm especially curious how people feel about my decision to let the player choose whether Blaire is male or female, and the fact that this decision has no impact on Blaire's behavior or relationships. Do you think that it should?

Otherwise just keep a lookout for the eventual release! I'm sure I'll be updating on tumblr and Twitter as the project progresses!

Last edited by storykween on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My website: woodsy-studio.com

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: Quantum Conscience (Sci-Fi Drama, Romance)[GxB][BxG][BxB

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

.... Blaire looks so.. (pardon my potty mouth) BADASS!!! Whether the characters a boy or a girl, He/she seems super cool :)
i'll cry if you yell at me

DeletedUser160413

#3 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

They look super hot :D I love the fact that they actually look like real MEN xD Congrats on your awesome looking project, I really look forward to this ^_^ I love both of their looks but I think I would choose the girl (just because I'm a girl myself lol).

storykween
Regular
Completed: Serafina's Saga, Quantum Conscience, Echoes of the Fey, miraclr - Divine Dating Sim

#4 Post by storykween »

Thanks, silverpikachu99 and muniiam!! I'm glad you like the character designs :wink:

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#5 Post by Rosstin »

I really love how you're doing this with the protagonist's gender. I've always wanted to do that. :-)

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#6 Post by akemicchi »

This is so cool. *V* Will we be able to choose which side to help more? This is a VN right, so we have options? How many endings do we get? And do the endings, if we have multiple endings, differ depending on which side we choose to help? I'm super interested in the two agencies and look forward to playing a double agent.

Pshh, I think all games should have the option of letting us choose the gender of our characters without it impacting who you can romance and everything. :D It's a great idea!

bellice
Veteran

#7 Post by bellice »

I'm always in favour of not having romance be restricted by the gender you play. That way I can experience all the content without having to play someone I don't want to play.

storykween
Regular

#8 Post by storykween »

Thanks everyone!

@akemicchi: It is a VN, so the player has options! And you do get to decide which side to join, though the decision comes more as a natural result of your actions throughout the game than one final choice 8)

Ophelia
Regular
Completed: tobag
Projects: Kajima

#9 Post by Ophelia »

Blaire looks really awesome! And I think it's absolutely great that the gender does not matter, because, in the end, we are all humans. I also definitely prefer if the romance options in games are "protagonistsexual", that way everybody can play their preferred gender and pick their preferred love interest. Or all of them. While it make sense that some characters (humans, that is) are hetero- or homosexual, if sexuality isn't the main theme in the game it really shouldn't matter.

buttdumpling
Regular
Projects: Dämmerung

#10 Post by buttdumpling »

I *love* the option to change your gender!!! and also that you can engage in queer relationships, it's so hard to find yuri games, much less GxG otome games!!

angelgidget
Completed: i wish
Projects: i also wish
Organization: nope

#11 Post by angelgidget »

Cool concept! I think gender should affect the character's actions depending on the setting. Setting things in a sci-fi galaxy can lend itself to gender equality which means wheather the MC is boy/girl has no effect. But by the same token, if you character accidentally crash-lands onto a planet with a matriarchal society that enslaves every male they find... then it suddenly matters, because it will put your two possible versions of the character in a completely different situation. From the sound of things, you won't be dealing with that, but it's fun food for thought in a later time.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#12 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I'm a sci-fi geek, so I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I'm not opposed to the romance being the same regardless of gender, but at the same time, I feel conflicted because I don't think every character in a game necessarily needs to be attracted to every gender. But it's also true that this is an issue best handled on a case-by-case basis.

Don't worry. I'm not complaining. I'm just thinking about all this aloud.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain