Queen At Arms: Deluxe Edition, on Steam Feb 4 (beta testing)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Queen At Arms on Kickstarter! CAMEOS from Hanako, WW, Mo

#226 Post by Mad Harlequin »

With twenty hours left, we've got $9,404, which means we've gone well over our last stretch goal! Thanks again for all your support, everyone. :D
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#227 Post by Laiska »

AntiquedFae wrote:Wait, are they magical sexy man war dresses?!?!
If you pledge for the game I will do everything in my power to push for a secret all-dresses joke mode in the Deluxe edition.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#228 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Laiska wrote:
AntiquedFae wrote:Wait, are they magical sexy man war dresses?!?!
If you pledge for the game I will do everything in my power to push for a secret all-dresses joke mode in the Deluxe edition.
I would support this! :lol:
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#229 Post by AntiquedFae »

Laiska wrote:If you pledge for the game I will do everything in my power to push for a secret all-dresses joke mode in the Deluxe edition.
Mad Harlequin wrote:I would support this! :lol:
YES. -runs for parents' credit cards-
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Aurélie
Regular
Organization: Lyonesse

Re: Queen At Arms on Kickstarter! LAST 24 HOURS

#230 Post by Aurélie »

Backer and proud ~ unfortunately couldn't spare enough to get the Deluxe edition, but I'm just glad to have supported you all.

So! I was playing the demo, and something started to bother me and I thought I'd mention it because I feel it'd be fixed pretty easily unless there's something happening in the code I don't know about.

Marcus' chest is escaping the textbox! All the characters have this. And Marcus' side-portrait in particular looks way too small. The art's lovely, it's a shame it's shrunk down like that. It kind of throws off the proportions of the GUI. I quickly mocked up an example of an alternative, using Rubus. Previously, his shoulder was cropped away, which really didn't look nice. He was also low down like the other characters and escaping the textbox.

I think you just need to move the sprites up, and for Rubus fix his shoulder-cropping issue. Damn his manly shoulders.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#231 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Thanks for the support and the feedback! I'm sure our lovely artists will figure this stuff out. :) (Damn Rubus's shoulders, indeed!)
— Mark Twain

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen

#232 Post by Laiska »

@Aurélie: That's actually a really good idea, I like how that looks. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#233 Post by sheetcakeghost »

Thanks for the tip! Marcus' portrait is an old asset that isn't coded up like the other sprites are, which is why she looks small.

As for the side sprites, we actually don't have a separate side sprite asset. It's their full body sprite scaled down via coding and moved over to the side. We've done this because the art is already going to be a massive chunk of the game's size and we want to keep things manageable without sacrificing art quality for compression. However, it's totally possible (I think, I'm not a coder) for us to crop the image with the dialogue box to have a similar effect that you did with Rubus. I actually really like how it looks, so I'll mention it to Rosstin.

Laiska
Veteran

#234 Post by Laiska »

Queen At Arms is now Funded!!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#235 Post by AntiquedFae »

Yay!!!! :D
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#236 Post by Rosstin »

Let's get Q@A on Steam Greenlight!

Dustiferous
Projects: Hearts Under Blades
Organization: Leading Scientists Games

Re: Vote for Queen At Arms on Steam Greenlight!

#237 Post by Dustiferous »

I am super looking forward to this getting made, and I'll go vote for you on Steam so I can gift copies to my friends!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#238 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Dustiferous wrote:I am super looking forward to this getting made, and I'll go vote for you on Steam so I can gift copies to my friends!
Thanks for your support! You're awesome. :D
— Mark Twain

RoziePozie
Regular
Projects: Culina

#239 Post by RoziePozie »

I voted for you!

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#240 Post by netravelr »

Serenity Frost wrote:We've done this because the art is already going to be a massive chunk of the game's size and we want to keep things manageable without sacrificing art quality for compression.
I just want to note that the addition in size is very minimal for the type of thing you're discussing. It's music and voicing that'll make up the bulk of your game's size. The main issue is just the time consuming nature of cropping and masking stuff. You may try to write an Action in Photoshop to automate the process of creating the masked sidebars.

Either way, voted! Good luck with your project!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash