Silent Dime [Slice of Life, slight BxG, drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

Silent Dime [Slice of Life, slight BxG, drama]

#1 Post by Haze »

Silent Dime is a short game about bullying, dating, and a ranking system based on American coinage.
You play as Penny, the next-to-lowest "Coin" of Ambre Academy. The school dance is coming up, and the Penny always has to go with the Dime for school events like these. This year, the Dime is a new girl, nicknamed "Silent Dime" because of her seeming quiet nature, and Penny must ask her to the dance.
Other Coins include Quarter, a higher-ranked Coin who expresses his dominance to the lower-ranked Penny, Nickel, Quarter's accomplice and "bodyguard", Half-Dollar, a quiet introvert, and Dollar Coin, the mature and assertive class president.

This me and my sister's entry for the New Beginnings Game Jam. I'm(Haze) doing the writing, coding, UI, and (maybe) a little bit of music, and my sister (Norbez) is doing the art. It's a linear visual novel, meaning that, while there are choices, they don't affect the ending.

Current Progress:
Writing: 100%!
Coding: 40%- the writing is completly coded in, along with a couple transitions, but not much else is coded yet
Art: 45%- most rough sketches are completely done, and some of the final BGs are done
UI: 75%- the main menu and the extras menu need to be finalized
Music: 5%- not quite sure what I'm going to do with this one...

I'll update this post as needed. For now, what do you think?
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

Re: Silent Dime [Slice of Life, slight BxG, drama]

#2 Post by Sleipnir56 »

This looks cool. Hope to see what the character sprites look like later. Good luck :)

Haze
Veteran

#3 Post by Haze »

Thank you, and good luck to you in your projects, too!

None of the character sprites are finalized just yet, so here are some bgs that are pretty much done.
bg_collection1.png
I might upload some of the UI after I code it in, so stay tuned! :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Haze
Veteran

#4 Post by Haze »

Woo hoo, an update!

First off, Nickel's sprite is finished!
nickel.png
It's probably not going to be drastically changed from here, but some honest critique would still be appreciated.

Next, I've been working on a little bit of music for the game, and here's what I've come up with:

First, an upbeat tune that'll probably play not too long after the game starts. I'm not sure about the title(I pretty much came up with it on the fly), and I kinda like it, kinda don't. This is mostly because, while the title I came up with is "Firefly Dance", there's no mention of fireflies whatsoever in Silent Dime. Anyone have any title ideas?

Second, a little intro that will play pretty much right at the beginning of the game. The breaks in the song are intentional; I plan to time some fading screens to go with it.

Third, a random song that I started a long time ago, noticed while I was working on Silent Dime, and finished. I'm honestly not sure where this one will go- maybe the main menu?

Lastly, a longer version of the above intro.

Like the sprite, the songs probably aren't going to undergo too many changes, but I'd appreciate a comment on those as well. Also, title ideas would be great if anyone has any.

Ok, I think that's basically it. Have some random UI!
screenshot0002.png

Evolution
Regular
Projects: ???

#5 Post by Evolution »

Am I to assume that Penny must attend these school functions with Dimes because they are considered the lowest rank in the academy? Or is there some other explanation that will be given in the game? I'm just wondering because it seems odd for Dimes to be ranked lower than Pennies, especially considering that the other coin values seem to be consistent with rank. However, I don't doubt that my assumption regarding Penny having to attend events with a rank lower than her own could be entirely incorrect. I'm sure there's a whole, complicated system I know nothing about.

Haze
Veteran

#6 Post by Haze »

Am I to assume that Penny must attend these school functions with Dimes because they are considered the lowest rank in the academy? Or is there some other explanation that will be given in the game? I'm just wondering because it seems odd for Dimes to be ranked lower than Pennies, especially considering that the other coin values seem to be consistent with rank.
The Penny and the Dime have to go together, and yes, Dime is the lowest rank. Why Dime is the lowest is something that's explained in the game, so I don't want to spoil. Thanks for your interest, though! :D

Evolution
Regular
Projects: ???

#7 Post by Evolution »

Thank you for clarifying!

Haze
Veteran

#8 Post by Haze »

I haven't been able to officially mention this, but...due to my sister being to busy to finish the art at the moment, Silent Dime will be going on a indefinite hiatus.