A Shadow's Reflection [Kinetic][Creepy] w/Demo

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

A Shadow's Reflection [Kinetic][Creepy] w/Demo

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

"Derek August has always been plagued with a strange, eerie feeling that began when he entered his first year of high school. During that time, his whole family disappeared without a trace. Since then, he's been living alone, all by himself, having only one friend; Eliza Davidson. Now in his Junior Year, it's happening again. Two students have disappeared, and they were seated in front and behind Derek! Is anyone who comes in contact with him fated to disappear? But if that's the case, what about Eliza?"
Characters~

Derek August
A teenage boy in his Junior Year of High School. His family disappeared about 2 years before, and now two of his classmates have disappeared as well. Because of this, Derek feels inclined to isolate himself for other's safety.

Eliza Davidson (sprite by BCS)
Derek's classmate; a cheery girl who is Derek's one and only friend. She believes Derek about all the strange occurences happening to him, but will not stand to be parted from him either, totally against the rumors of him being the cause of the disappearances.

??? (sprite by azureXtwlight)
A mysterious guy who appears to be following Derek. He seems to know a lot about Derek and his situation, but won't explain to him anything for whatever reason. All he does is give Derek a certain warning.

Demo Statistics;
The game contains 1,087 dialogue blocks, containing 8,448 words and 46,267
characters, for an average of 7.8 words and 43 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 39 images, and 12 screens.
Find the demo here; http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 45&t=24133

Current Full Game Statistics;
The game contains 1,303 dialogue blocks, containing 9,977 words and 54,595
characters, for an average of 7.7 words and 42 characters per block.

The game contains 1 menus, 54 images, and 11 screens.
NOTE: The 1 menu is the Extras section.

Game Features;
- First playthrough is the "vague" version, to make it more mysterious.
- Second playthrough unlocks extra story content, such as missing conversations previously only mentioned, and tiny side plots.
- Typical extras like an opening and ending video, music room, CG Gallery (hopefully), etc.!
- Voice acting (most likely in a Version 2. I have two of my VAs agree to voice Derek and Eliza).

Since I released the demo for this game, I thought it was about time to make a WIP post for it. Keep in mind; this is a side project, which I only work on in my spare time or when it's the right mood (my main projects get top priority). I typically like to write this one at night, because I want a really nice creepy feeling. I even test the game at night to make sure I'm feeling what I want my players to feel, with the right music cued, sound effects, and so fourth. If I get in the right mood, I end up writing a lot of it, so this one will most likely be a slower process (unless I get on a roll). This story is planned from start to finish, and being Kinetic, it won't be extremely long and have no branching paths.

I am experimenting with making Kinetics a bit more replayable by making the first playthrough experience a condensed version, purposely missing certain parts, making it a bit more confusing and mysterious, the "vague" version, while the second playthrough will be like a new experience (especially since you already know the ending) with new scenes unlocked. If all goes well, I'll see if I can get the demo voiced and get people's opinion on the voice actors.

Anyway, I will update this thread periodically when I get a large chunk of progress done.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: A Shadow's Reflection [Kinetic][Creepy] w/Demo

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

The story seems uber cool so far :)~ Good luck with progress!
i'll cry if you yell at me

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by philip »

@Kokoro Hane

Downloaded the demo some months ago and played through it. Just went through it again a few minutes ago. Found it to be very interesting, and I am anxiously awaiting the next release. Can't wait to see how this is going to turn out! It's been a few months since your last post - any progress to report???

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#4 Post by Kokoro Hane »

philip wrote: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:39 pm @Kokoro Hane

Downloaded the demo some months ago and played through it. Just went through it again a few minutes ago. Found it to be very interesting, and I am anxiously awaiting the next release. Can't wait to see how this is going to turn out! It's been a few months since your last post - any progress to report???

philip
Hi there, sorry for.... a several year long wait in a response, but if you are still interested....

This game has not been forgotten. It WILL be finished. I plan to complete it sometime this year, most likely resume with it in May and maybe release it for the next SuNoFes if they have another one. I am also asking azure if her commissions are still opened, as I'd like to have a matching sprite to the blonde guy and have Eliza drawn by her (she will still be based on the placeholder I have, same skin tone and hair style, just different clothes). I am still very proud of this project, and will complete it very soon! It may not have full voice work like I originally intended, but I may have partial voice, and again I may also just release a voiceless version altogether.

I have re-uploaded the 2013 demo to my itch.io account as well, so I edited the link in the demo thread to be that instead ^^

I will update the main thread at a later date!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"