Nightflower [GxB/Romance/Fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

Nightflower [GxB/Romance/Fantasy]

#1 Post by YonYonYon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:27 pm

Welcome to the thread for my project "Nightflower".
-What is it about?
It's an otome fantasy visual novel, where you pursue few bachelors to marry them. The story is located in the fictional fantasyland, in the kingdom of Ranvika. The MC is a blind noble girl, named Ellen. A marquise is hitting on her and she doesn’t want to marry him, so she decides to go to the royal ball to find a husband by herself.

Her choices are:
- His Royal Highness Prince Hugh Van Kann, the childhood friend.
- His Grace Mefodiy Trengove, Duke of Imo, the jackass tsun.
- His Highess Orl Garnett, Prince of neighbour kingdom Sampade, the flirt.
- Maalik, the mysterious young man.
-Any miscellaneous details?
- This project is planned to be a light small project I could manage, so I write everythng straight with the coding in the editor. Good thing, visuals are simple.
- There's a Characteristic Dialogue options like in Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect series I made my life miserable, but I don't regret it. Very simplistic, but still a lot of work. To make my life easier I decided to give the story only one ending, but with variables how Protag-chan acts - Diplomatic\OverallGood, Aggressive\Serious, Humorous\Flirty - and with whom she hooks up. Because everybody IRL has a variable preferences, right? Everybody responses differently for different actions, right? And everybody can fall in love with various people, if they're overall good, right? Plus maybe I'll add some bad branches that lead to GAME OVER YOU'RE DEAD endings.
- But it would make my life too easy, right?! I'll add points for every Characteristic! And the more points a Characteristic has, the better Protag-chan will be at it. At the first time she will fail miserably with every Characteristic.
- The player is going to able to see LIs' faces only in the endings. The player can choose to stay blind.
- I do GUI the last.
- I had 2 projects in Lemmasoft forums. I finished the wrintings in one game, but couldn't handle the visuals. I finished outlining the story in the second game, but it was too huge to handle it right now.
- [more to come]

Current statistics are:
The game contains 1,202 dialogue blocks, containing 10,664 words and 57,887
characters, for an average of 8.9 words and 48 characters per block.

The game contains 4 menus, 21 images, and 11 screens.
- Any visuals?
[1024x768]

- What is the purpose of this thread?
- I want people to play this game while I'm making it, make a comment and critique on writing, so I could know what am I doing right or wrong.
- Ask advice on coding.
- Post updates, get feedback.

-Where to get current distribution?

Things to know:
- The game is made from the beginning to the first encounter with Maalik and Mefodiy.
- No encounters with Hugh and Orl are made yet.
- Music is inconsistent. Credits for it are in the game folder.
-Current questions?
- The text is supposed to be slow in the beginning and normal in the rest of the game, but my friend noticed that their text is pacing vice versa. Do you have the same problem, if yes, how to fix it?
The code is:

Code: Select all

play music "music/Plaint.mp3" fadein 2 fadeout 2
    show bg black
    nar "{cps=8}I live in the darkness.{/cps}"
    nar "{cps=8}Since my childhood, when I lost my eyesight, I've lived in the darkness.{/cps}"
    nar "{cps=8}Helpless, pointless, hopeless... For my family I'm only a burden.{/cps}"
    nar "{cps=8}I thought very hard about what can I do for them. I wanted to be useful... But there was nothing I could handle.{/cps}"
    nar "{cps=8}I have no musical talent or a sense of rhythm, my fingers are so clumsy and slow that I can't knit or sculpt, I even can't do houseworks. I can't do anything.{/cps}"
    nar "{cps=8}If only there was a cure! But even healing spells couldn't do a thing. As if I was cursed...{/cps}" 
    nar "-Sigh-"
    show bg room with dissolve

nar "I awoke and opened my eyes."
    nar "Every day is the same. I always wake up in early morning, always eat breakfast, always sit in my room until the evening, always eat dinner and then always go to bed."
    nar "Lionel, my personal servant, will come soon. He always brings me my breakfast."
etc.
- Do save files work in newer distributions?
ImageImage

NanaNaninna

Re: Nightflower [GxB/Romance/Fantasy]

#2 Post by NanaNaninna » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Hey! I loved the idea, so original! I wanted to date Lionel, though, why wasn't he on the list? He's so nice. :(
The graphics are actually great; the idea of not seeing the guy you're pursuing makes you want to try all the routes, I think, which is great, because I usually only go for the guy I like. I love the setting as well, and the script is great (not the usual story, not the usual personalities), I really enjoyed this!
Thanks for sharing, I can't wait for this game to be released!

Enokiiii

#3 Post by Enokiiii » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm really intrigued by the idea of a blind MC in a game genre that focuses so much on visuals. I'm interested to see how you set it up to indicate the MC's lack of vision while also making it visual interesting for the player! One question about "choosing to stay blind", however. Does that mean that the MC's blindness can be cured? Or is it just so that the player can see the faces of the other characters? ... or is it that only true love can break the curse? XD

Good luck on your project! I'm eager to see how it turns out. :)

nipaa_kazuma
Regular

#4 Post by nipaa_kazuma » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Just finished to play, I like the overall idea and the fact that you don't actually see the guy you're dating ... it makes me want to know even more.
I think the backgrounds and the sprites suits the story.
It seems like a huge work but good new : it works really really well =).
I'm also thinking the fact you can choose to stay blind or not is promising and intriging : why staying blind ? Love can surpass sight ?
I'm really interested to see how it's gonna be : good luck !

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#5 Post by YonYonYon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Perfect! :D Even though I made LIs invisible after making Ellen blind, I thought it was a neat idea. It was an interesting thing for me - usually people first go after LI's visual appearance, so here I tried to make them appeal with their personalities. I'm really glad it's working.

NanaNaninna, we can't romance him because he's our brother figure. Also, he doesn't have any political power. :wink:

Is it okay to talk about my plans about the plot? I'll put it in the spoiler tag just in case.
Ellen's blindness was caused by a plot key I wanted to introduce somewhere in the middle of the story, also this thing prevents it from healing with usual methods. This key is going to be an important point of an over-arching plot with murders and intrigues, so dealing with it in the end opens a chance for Ellen to heal her eyes. There will be a choice - to be healed or not. Some LIs wish to not be seen, even if it's kinda egoistic; there will be that plot key thing; but mostly I want to change Ellen from feeling useless in the beginning to learning to love and respect herself in the end, so I wish that there will be a feeling that, yeah, it's good to return the sight, but it's okay to stay as she is too.
Thanks for your comments, guys :D
By the way, which one of the last two LIs you want to see next? By next, I mean sooner.
ImageImage

nipaa_kazuma
Regular

#6 Post by nipaa_kazuma » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:01 am

It's totally okay with me to talk about the plot, if I can help I will be happy to do so.
If there is gonna have some adventure and action I'm totally for it, even more if it play in favor of the plot.
I think it's a good idea to include the love interest's point of view on the choice of staying blind or not : if I really like him I think it will make me think more about it.
The fact that the MC grow during the story is also a good point to my opinion, I prefer to see a progression between the beginning and the end.
I would like seeing more of Orl next =D.