Snow Petals and Scarlet Kickstarter

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
huntj09

Snow Petals and Scarlet Kickstarter

#1 Post by huntj09 »

Hi Everyone!

I just thought I'd let you know that I just started a Kickstarter campaign. I thought this was the most appropriate place to share it. Hopefully it lives up to the community's expectations.

Please look up "Snow Petals and Scarlet" In the video game category.

I'd just really like opinions to see whether there's any more content I can add to the campaign.

I've copy-pasted the kickstarter text here. Please visit the kickstarter itself to donate and read more about the characters and artists

Snow Petals and Scarlet is a romantic and political visual novel. Visual novels harp back to the days of 'choose-your-own-adventure' books, where your outcome is determined by the choices you make. Visual novels are very popular with both males and females in Japan and are often referred to as 'dating sims'.

It will have it's own custom GUI (Graphics User Interface) and will be Free-To-Play.

Although romance plays a key role in most visual novels, Snow Petals and Scarlet plays out more like a novel or manga, in which the choices you make alter the story rather than the potential suitors. This means that the game will not be a typical 'harem' style visual novel.

SPaS is set spanning decades. The player takes control of Twila throughout most of the game as well as some of the characters to a lesser extent. Twila and Johnathan were a happy couple engaged to be married before the War of Venus ravaged the world. Both Twila and Johnathan fight for their country together, but fate turns unexpectedly and both are sent to fight in different companies. As events roll out and the war comes to an end, the lovers have no idea if the other is still alive, or if they've fallen in battle. As the world recovers, it's up to the player to decide whether Twila once again joins with Johnathan, a new love will steal her heart again or she ends up with a fate that no one should have to endure.

The story is split into three parts; Part 1 is set in the time of the War of Venus; Part 2 is set 10 years after the war and concerns the re-building of society, with new kingdoms and a smaller world; and Part 3 is set 10-15 years after the war (depending on your path) and takes place once the kingdoms are well settled down and stable.

As well as having happy endings, the game will have some quite dark and mature themes, which are not suitable for children under 15. Please keep this in mind before you donate to the campaign.

Production team:

Writer/Director/Programmer: Jennifer Hunter
Assistant Programmer: TBA
Portrait and Cut Scene Artist: Ralu11
Background Artist: Saylor Longsteen (Saylor-Boo)
Composer: Kairi Sawler
Main Characters:

Twila Heartstone:

Twila is the female protagonist in SPaS. Before the War of Venus her and her fiancee were about to get married. As partners in combat, they were an unstoppable force, their company winning every battle they faced. Not only is Twila a hero on the battlefield, but she has a loving and kind heart pure as a snow petal, filled with hope that she will once again be reunited with the one she loves.

Johnathan Malstrom:

Johnathan is the male protagonist and is a valiant fighter. He also has a heart of gold, just like Twila but sometimes can have conflicting emotions about certain situations.

Captain Troy Barker:

(artwork tba)

Captain Troy Barker appears from Part 2. He is charged with protecting Twila at all costs. Captain Barker does not easily trust people, but he trusts in the decisions that Twila makes, and would follow her anywhere if it meant being by her side.

Unnamed Butler:

This is Twila's personal butler. He's a loyal servant and cares for his mistress with all the attention of a loving parent or big brother. This creates an air of uneasiness with the other men in her life...

There are MANY minor characters in SPaS, and to list them here would spoil the story.

A selection of 'catchwords' may help you decide whether this game is for you:

romance-politics-kingdoms-war-internment camps-slavery-royalty-fashion-warring countries-neutral factions-forests-wolves-servants-political marriages-murder-memory loss-letters-discrimination-children-heirs-illegitimate-daring rescue-dangerous allies.

Although dating sims generally give off a girly vibe, the aim for SPaS is to be enjoyable for both males and females, although the audience would be predominately female. If you're a fan of fantasy romance novels and shoujo manga, this will definitely be for you!

Why are we asking for so much money?

Unlike many other Visual Novels, Snow Petals and Scarlet is going to be using high quality art that WILL NOT BE RECYCLED. Many Visuals Novels recycle the same artwork over and over again, and our plan is to have several different costumes every time a scene changes and every emotion will have a separate piece of artwork, pose and expression, which will keep the game fresh and interesting. As a result, more art needs to be made than normal, thus the asking amount needs to be higher than usual.

Example Artwork:

Concept Artwork:

Last edited by huntj09 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Snow Petals and Scarlet Kickstarter

#2 Post by Asceai »

Beautiful art, but you need a demo.
13.) Crowdfunding
Do not link to crowdfunding campaigns (including kickstarter or indiegogo campaigns) for visual novels or games unless those campaigns include a link to a nontrivial playable demo or a completed game by substantially the same team.

huntj09

#3 Post by huntj09 »

Asceai wrote:Beautiful art, but you need a demo.
13.) Crowdfunding
Do not link to crowdfunding campaigns (including kickstarter or indiegogo campaigns) for visual novels or games unless those campaigns include a link to a nontrivial playable demo or a completed game by substantially the same team.
Edited accordingly

Chasing Summer
Regular
Projects: unannounced project

#4 Post by Chasing Summer »

The art of the game looks absolutely wonderful and I’d love to hear more about other characters. The plot is very interesting but looks a bit complicated. I’m sure you can pull it off with much work though.
I checked out your kickstarter page and I’m no expert but I’d like to mention two things:

1. The trailer’s a bit short. I understand that you can’t spoil the whole plot, but the trailer felt lacking. Maybe it’s the length or just that it didn’t really reveal anything about the game. I’m not saying it’s bad, though. And maybe you plan on making a new trailer once you’ve been funded.

2. There’s no demo I know that not everyone has the money to make a demo before they’ve been funded. Personally though, I just don’t donate to games without a demo. When I donate money I want to know that it’s a game I would have bought and played even if it was commercial. That’s just me though and I might contribute with a few dollars or more, we’ll see. c:

Anyway, other than that, I do not have much more to say. Hopefully, I’ll hear more about your project in the future. Good luck!
new account: sonnenblumen

Mimi_Melody
Veteran

#5 Post by Mimi_Melody »

I have to agree, maybe you started the KS a little too early (at least you need to have a demo which will help push the KS a lot)? Many people would want to know what they're actually throwing money in for and at least how the game's going to be.
But all in all, the game looks great and the art is amazing! Looks like it'll be a pretty big game too. I'm looking forward to more updates :)

huntj09

#6 Post by huntj09 »

Chasing Summer wrote:The art of the game looks absolutely wonderful and I’d love to hear more about other characters. The plot is very interesting but looks a bit complicated. I’m sure you can pull it off with much work though.
I checked out your kickstarter page and I’m no expert but I’d like to mention two things:

1. The trailer’s a bit short. I understand that you can’t spoil the whole plot, but the trailer felt lacking. Maybe it’s the length or just that it didn’t really reveal anything about the game. I’m not saying it’s bad, though. And maybe you plan on making a new trailer once you’ve been funded.

2. There’s no demo I know that not everyone has the money to make a demo before they’ve been funded. Personally though, I just don’t donate to games without a demo. When I donate money I want to know that it’s a game I would have bought and played even if it was commercial. That’s just me though and I might contribute with a few dollars or more, we’ll see. c:

Anyway, other than that, I do not have much more to say. Hopefully, I’ll hear more about your project in the future. Good luck!
1. The trailer IS a bit short, however I wasn't planning to put a video in the first place, considering I'm a programmer and writer, not really a cinematographer. I whipped up just a short intro video because it was the done thing.

2. I'm being told that a lot. If I can get time and funding, I'll be making a demo, even of just one short scene. I'll probably do this on the weekend if I can.

If the kickstarter fails, I'll be taking everything into account and resubmitting. This is my first crowdfunding campaign, so I'm still not completely up with this sort of thing yet.

LucaMadison
Regular
Projects: Heart of Thorns.
Organization: Ichigo no Kokoro Productions.

#7 Post by LucaMadison »

The CGs art is very pretty! Luck for the project! ♥
Image Image Image Image Image

huntj09

#8 Post by huntj09 »

I've ended up cancelling it for now until I can afford to make a demo.
For now I'll be focusing on my first game, Hurricane Paisley which will have a demo and be up on kickstarter in a few days.

The link for Hurricane Paisley is here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... sual-novel

and it contains a demo. I'll create a separate topic for it too.